• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

melm25

melm25

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Is any way to connect this led cinema to a pc computer? like dvi or hdmi?

Thanks for the help

r8f5e7

r8f5e7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
You should be able to do this using an adapter.

melm25

melm25

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

You should be able to do this using an adapter.

ok I know a adapter for the video is the solution :D , but I don't know which one... I look for Mini DisplayPort adapters but anyone works.

green_lifesaver

green_lifesaver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm wondering this as well, doesn't seem there is an adaptor that goes from a DVI female to Mini Display Port Male. Would installing the Apple GT120 or 4870 in a hackintosh work? Specifically the GT120, I've looked around the forum and didn't see anybody talking about wether this was possible.

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

I'm wondering this as well, doesn't seem there is an adaptor that goes from a DVI female to Mini Display Port Male. Would installing the Apple GT120 or 4870 in a hackintosh work? Specifically the GT120, I've looked around the forum and didn't see anybody talking about wether this was possible.

GT120 should work for ya.

vinval317

vinval317

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I installed an original Apple GT 120 in my PC. It kinda works. I explain...
I need to boot the PC with a DVI display, then, when the finder is displayed I can plug in the MiniDisplay port of the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display (and eventually unplug the other screen).
I rarely shut down because I would need to re-perform this procedure. Going to sleep and wake up works fine (no need to play with displays).

If anyone has a better idea it would be greatly welcome.

By the way, I have the same setup at work with Windows Vista and it works just fine with one display on DVI and the 24" LED on MiniDisplay.

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

I need to boot the PC with a DVI display, then, when the finder is displayed I can plug in the MiniDisplay port of the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display (and eventually unplug the other screen).
I rarely shut down because I would need to re-perform this procedure. Going to sleep and wake up works fine (no need to play with displays).

By the way, I have the same setup at work with Windows Vista and it works just fine with one display on DVI and the 24" LED on MiniDisplay.

First off, How are you getting your graphics to work? Natit? EFI Strings? DSDT Injection?

proxys32

proxys32

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

First off, How are you getting your graphics to work? Natit? EFI Strings? DSDT Injection?

I am also interested, the Apple LED cinema display is probably one of the best display on the market (LED, IPS, Non Wide Gamut, Clear text, Great design, Low Depth, Aluminium...) and also one of the most expensive (899$ in US and 850 in Europe) :P

If the screen works directly at boot on Mac Pro and Mac mini, it should work great on a Hackintosh but after Chameleon Boot by using a genuine Apple graphic card with mini display port, EFIstrings, and Official Apple Kexts ;) .
When i was thinking of buying this screen, I thought the main problem would be to make it work on Windows but not on a Hackintosh...

Just for curiosity Do you get the wierd ticking noise some users complain about ?

vinval317

vinval317

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

NVinstaller v.52

I am also interested, the Apple LED cinema display is probably one of the best display on the market (LED, IPS, Non Wide Gamut, Clear text, Great design, Low Depth, Aluminium...) and also one of the most expensive (899$ in US and 850 in Europe) :P

If the screen works directly at boot on Mac Pro and Mac mini, it should work great on a Hackintosh but after Chameleon Boot by using a genuine Apple graphic card with mini display port, EFIstrings, and Official Apple Kexts :) .
When i was thinking of buying this screen, I thought the main problem would be to make it work on Windows but not on a Hackintosh...

Just for curiosity Do you get the wierd ticking noise some users complain about ?

No I hear no weird sound at all. The speakers just work fine.

proxys32

proxys32

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

NVinstaller v.52
No I hear no weird sound at all. The speakers just work fine.

NVinject is a really outdated tricks and i think it's not the best way for using an Apple graphic Card with mini display port on a Hackintosh.
A nvidia GT120 is nothing more than a nvidia 9500GT so it should work great with correct EFIstrings and the official Apple kext.

And on another topic talking about Genuine Apple 8800GT in Hackintosh http://www.insanelym...howtopic=135756

Aqua-mac explained that

The Apple card will have zero advantage over a std PC 8800 GT as it's bios is made up of a std "PC" part and an EFI part. A PC will read the "PC" part but will totally ignore the EFI part, which means your PC will see the card exactly the same as a std PC card. The full EFI bios will only be read by a EFI logicboard in a genuine Apple computer. However, the card should still work fine in a hack.

And for the "wierd sound", it is not supposed to come from the speakers of the screen but from the screen itself. It seems that the powersupply integrated in the screen produces some noises after some weeks of use (for a 850€ screen it's unacceptable).

vinval317

vinval317

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

NVinject is a really outdated tricks and i think it's not the best way for using an Apple graphic Card with mini display port on a Hackintosh.
A nvidia GT120 is nothing more than a nvidia 9500GT so it should work great with correct EFIstrings and the official Apple kext.
And on another topic talking about Genuine Apple 8800GT in Hackintosh http://www.insanelym...howtopic=135756

I tried the Aquamac procedure ton a clean install) but I get the exact same result.

A

A

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
any news on this?

vinval317

vinval317

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

any news on this?

Current situation:

Cinema Display on MiniDisplay
NEC MultiSync on DVI

To allow boot, unplug Cinema Display and switch on
Once on the Finder screen, plug Cinema Display

When done working, go to suspend mode, the machine goes to sleep

To turn back on, press power button, both screens are OK.
You don't even need to switch DVI screen on.

A

A

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
thanks for the update!

however I really hope that there will be a more comfortable method in the future.
It would bug me everytime I power on my system

http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1179586

MikePlacid

MikePlacid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1179586

Thank you for noticing my post. Let me make a brief summary of it. GT 120 + LCD display contraption has actually two parts: graphics part and USB audio part. (Three, if you count iSight, but since it did not give me any problems - I do not count it :) ) Your experience with either of them will greatly depend on the motherboard you have. I have tested two.

Intel DG31PR: graphics OK, board does not boot if USB cable from Apple's LCD is inserted. It has no general USB audio problems, but does not see Display's USB audio devices when inserted after boot.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P: graphics has one strange problem in Dock.app (can be worked around), Display's USB can be made working, but: general USB audio problems with this board on MacOS X (small, but nasty enough).

A

A

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Thank you for noticing my post. Let me make a brief summary of it. GT 120 + LCD display contraption has actually two parts: graphics part and USB audio part. (Three, if you count iSight, but since it did not give me any problems - I do not count it :P ) Your experience with either of them will greatly depend on the motherboard you have. I have tested two.

Intel DG31PR: graphics OK, board does not boot if USB cable from Apple's LCD is inserted. It has no general USB audio problems, but does not see Display's USB audio devices when inserted after boot.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P: graphics has one strange problem in Dock.app (can be worked around), Display's USB can be made working, but: general USB audio problems with this board on MacOS X (small, but nasty enough).

I wish there was some kind of hack / workaround / adapter thing to make this easier....
It just looks so damn good! :P

vinval317

vinval317

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Upgraded to 10.5.8 OK but same display problem... no luck.

vinval317

vinval317

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Finally got it working: Apple NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 and Apple LED Cinema Display 24" using Mini DisplayPort

1) Installed Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r600.pkg.zip

2) Edited /Extra/com.Apple.Boot.plist and added

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>yes</string>

3) Removed NVInject
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

4) Downloaded and Installed NVIDIA drivers NVIDIA Retail Mac Driver Installer 18.5.2f16.mpkg

Works now like a charm... hope it helps you.

By the way I bought Mini Display extension cables and they just work fine.

Synaesthesia

Synaesthesia

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts
Nice

sven00

sven00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Finally got it working: Apple NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 and Apple LED Cinema Display 24" using Mini DisplayPort

1) Installed Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r600.pkg.zip

2) Edited /Extra/com.Apple.Boot.plist and added

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>yes</string>

3) Removed NVInject
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

4) Downloaded and Installed NVIDIA drivers NVIDIA Retail Mac Driver Installer 18.5.2f16.mpkg

Works now like a charm... hope it helps you.

By the way I bought Mini Display extension cables and they just work fine.

I'm in the same situation and have followed the steps you listed, but the NVIDIA driver package won't install.
"Unsupported System - This computer will not support this NVIDIA graphics solution."

Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy