Pentium M lv 1.5ghz vs PPC G4 1.2ghz

applehacker

2 posts in this topic

Which processor would perform better overall in os x? I plan on getting an X41 tablet and mod it into a Tablet Mac, but I got an offer for a powerbook g4 aluminum 1.2 ghz for 300$ Both are around the same price, but the X41 has tablet functionality, and the ability to run both windows and os x. Which one is the better laptop to go with? Keep in mind I WILL be using os x on the x41 if i do buy it.

Which processor would perform better overall in os x? I plan on getting an X41 tablet and mod it into a Tablet Mac, but I got an offer for a powerbook g4 aluminum 1.2 ghz for 300$ Both are around the same price, but the X41 has tablet functionality, and the ability to run both windows and os x. Which one is the better laptop to go with? Keep in mind I WILL be using os x on the x41 if i do buy it.

From what I've heard, g4 powerbooks have a tendency to have dying video cards (tho external monitor func still works), coupled with the fact the gfx cards are soldered to the board (making it impossible for an average user to replace); if the x41 allows you to change your gfx card at all, then I'd say go with that.

As long as you can get a voodoo kernel running, you'll be able to run most osx apps (provided your gfx is supported) that are coming out, and the ones that have yet to come out are more than likely going to be intel only, so an x86 mac will have more functionality with "today's software" than any PPC mac (which is not to say that PPC macs have a lack of available software).