new Vista Build - 5365

nevermind1331

40 posts in this topic

increasing the os file size wont help. let m$ increase the system stability. :blink:

Actually the main reason for the image size increases are the addition of more and more drivers. MS has been trying to add as many as possible to keep the transition as simple as possible (The XP release was a pain in the arse thanks to a lack of drivers). They have a DVD to work with so might as well add as many as possible.

Also whats with all these new builds sneaking out without me knowing. I thought they were supposed e-mail testers :)

I tried it a few days ago... Nogo for me, BSOD when booting from the DVD.

Tried a couple things after:

Installed XP, then did the inital install through XP. But when it rebooted for the 1st time same error BSOD on aspi.sys (something like that).

Then (since build 5342 works perfect) I replaced the bootimage.wmi on the DVD (believe that is what it was, forget exactly off the top of my head) with the bootimage.wmi file from the 5342 build. Then re-created the DVD. Managed to boot from the DVD fine and install windows. Made it through all the steps but then the 1st time it tried to boot into Windows... BSOD... oh well.

Anyone else have any luck?

yeah, works for me-- looks like no drivers for my sound card yet, though... i'm on a v2000z with ati southbridge chipset. btw, i've got the 64 bit version, so i haven't technically tried the same one as you. i guess i only get it for 2 weeks cause it needs activated, but i'm really liking it... they sure took a lot of cues from OSX... they've got they're expose competitor, the spotlight searching everywhere, even in the control panel... it's really cool, very pretty...

well vista is so nice, but i'm reverting back to xp... looks like the drivers for my v2000z aren't ready yet-- at least on 64 bit version. I'll try 32 bit first, but i can't have a system without sound... anybody with an x200m chipset confirm sound works/doesn't work?

This is a BETA OS so its nowhere near a full release candidate. I've had some experience with the Vista BETAs and this is substantially faster than build 5308 but there are still many performance issues:

1) Explorer is VERY SLOW

2) SearchIndexer.exe doesnt respond

3) Windows Media Player full screen is still slow

4) Aero interface (even with a 6800GT) still lags

5) Frequent stalls/crashes

6) THE MOST IMPORTANT: THE USER PROTECTION SOFTWARE. It's a firewall which won't let you do anything without an Administrator's account and even when you have those privelleges, this stupid screen pops up everytime you want to run an executable and prevents you from doing anything until you have selected allow and deny (imagine doing that EVERY time you want to launch a service!)

Obviously it is a beta OS and thus you cannot expect it to perform (nor do I) as a retail version would. I'm sure that by the release of the full Beta 2 (May 22nd), MS will have licked a lot of the bugs and have speeded up the OS in general.

edit: It's also unrealistic for an Operating System with 50 (thats right, 50) million lines of code to run super fast :)

EDIT:

It turns out Vista was slow because my locale was set to something other than the US. When I changed all the settings to the default US settings, Vista speeded up dramatically and now the os is fairly fast. The only thing I am still complaining about is the laggyness of Aero glass but is a beta so I'm not expecting too much.

I got a 64bit monster here. I can smell the rubber with osx. Same with w2k3-x64.

Tried vista (64bit version). This os has disabled itself.

VERY SLOOOOOW, OVERDOZE in any way and too many STOLEN things from apple.

Vista is the worst os i have ever seen. No innovations, just a modified xp.

After 2 hours the partition was erased. :withstupid:

Well i just installed the latest vista yesterday and i can say honestly its very nice yes maybe a fancy jazzed up up but very nice none the less and as for speed quite fast from erasing my partition to install must have only been about 45 minutes , Once into windows its self well i say very fast compared to xp and gfx and audio worked straight out the box ,,,, but i still prefer osx to be honest

Does anyone know the drivers to install for sound?

I cant get the audiot to work with this build with my IMac

I tired earphones also, no sound...

there are no apple drivers for vista (bootcamp is only for xp home and xp pro w/sp 2). also, the xp drivers for audio may or may not work with vista (i wouldnt try it). finally, why would you want to format your hard drive (and get rid of os x) to install vista?