Macbook (White) vs. Macbook (Aluminum)

15 posts in this topic

I'm considering purchasing a Macbook. However, I am debating wheter to get the white model or the aluminum one. At first I discarded the white one, but now that they have updated it to similar specs as the aluminum one, I am considering it.

I know the aluminum model is probably faster due to DDR3 ram and whatnot. Aside from this, processor is the same, and graphics too. Physically, the aluminum one is more durable and looks more sleek. Overall I like both models though I do not like the aluminum model screen at all. I mean, its almost like a mirror and I don't like that, while the white model has a more acceptable and less glossy display (I've actually used it, but not the aluminum one).

Anyway, do you think the aluminum (basic model) is worth the extra cash or should I go for the white one and add more memory and such? By the way, this will be my first Mac if I end up getting it.

I'll use it to show my clients works and to do some graphic design, though not much because I have a capable desktop for that which I use as primary system. I do not want a Macbook Pro because it is too expensive.

I've actually spent quite some time researching these two models, their pros/cons, reading reviews, watching videos, etc. Either way I want your opinion. So, what you guys think?

Keep in mind the White one has FireWire.

Ditto!!

This should be ONE of your main deciders!! If your'e on it 18 hours a day then the speed might be an issue, but if you were only going to buy the 2,0 ALU then maybe it a better bet to get the WHITE and max it out with memory and HDD!

I did it with my 2,4 ALU and to be honest I've only missed my Dell once!!

SticMAC

Ditto!!

This should be ONE of your main deciders!! If your'e on it 18 hours a day then the speed might be an issue, but if you were only going to buy the 2,0 ALU then maybe it a better bet to get the WHITE and max it out with memory and HDD!

I did it with my 2,4 ALU and to be honest I've only missed my Dell once!!

SticMAC

Yes. I was planning on getting the 2.0 aluminum. I do not need the extra features of the most expensive model. And since this model in particular is so close in terms of components to the recently updated Macbook white, it is kind of difficult to decide. Like you've said, I can buy the aluminum one, or get the white one and max it out. I just want to know, which is better for mobile graphic design, the white one or the aluminum one? I know the Macbook Pro is the most powerful of them all, but I won't spend that much in a computer, at least not now.

Of the two models you are deciding on, the only issue should now be if you would have the need for Firewire in the future, OR (coming back to one of my points earlier) if your'e going to spend a lot of time on it, get the ALU with the DDR3 memory and max it out!

I got myself a Cinema Display 24" to use on the desktop rather than choose a 15" ALU, so I have the MacBook to travel with and a BIG screen to work on on the desk!

SticMAC

Yes. I was planning on getting the 2.0 aluminum. I do not need the extra features of the most expensive model. And since this model in particular is so close in terms of components to the recently updated Macbook white, it is kind of difficult to decide. Like you've said, I can buy the aluminum one, or get the white one and max it out. I just want to know, which is better for mobile graphic design, the white one or the aluminum one? I know the Macbook Pro is the most powerful of them all, but I won't spend that much in a computer, at least not now.

Of the two models you are deciding on, the only issue should now be if you would have the need for Firewire in the future, OR (coming back to one of my points earlier) if your'e going to spend a lot of time on it, get the ALU with the DDR3 memory and max it out!

I got myself a Cinema Display 24" to use on the desktop rather than choose a 15" ALU, so I have the MacBook to travel with and a BIG screen to work on on the desk!

SticMAC

I won't be spending a lot of time with it. Remember, most of my work will be done on my desktop. So in that sense the Macbook will be used for less time most likely. And firewire represents an issue too, mainly because both of my HDV camcorders use firewire so I need it to transfer video. Even though I also use my desktop for video editing, firewire on the Macbook would be handy if I ever want to edit video on it or only transfer it. Lastly, both Macbooks have the same nVIDIA GPU. Is it powerful enough for graphic design (vectors, photo manipulation, web design, etc.)? I just want to make sure and not have any regrets later on...

im having the same dilemma. I'm leaning towards getting the white one because i can max out the memory and HD for less than the cost of buying the base model unibody (alum) macbook. And Firewire 400 might be useful in the future if i ever do some video editing or have a firewire external hd. I have 3 USB 2.0 externals at the moment though. I like the screen better on the unibody though and its nice that its LED lit. The unibody is a great deal thinner too and smaller. chico_stang, the graphics performance between the unibody and white macbook should be pretty similar. I dont think the DDR3 vs DDR2 makes too much of a difference, but i could be wrong. I havent seen benchmarks between the two of them but I know the unibody gets a little over 2100 points in 3dmark06. I would assume the white macbook would get a little less than that because of the ddr2.

I'm considering purchasing a Macbook. However, I am debating wheter to get the white model or the aluminum one. At first I discarded the white one, but now that they have updated it to similar specs as the aluminum one, I am considering it.

I know the aluminum model is probably faster due to DDR3 ram and whatnot. Aside from this, processor is the same, and graphics too. Physically, the aluminum one is more durable and looks more sleek. Overall I like both models though I do not like the aluminum model screen at all. I mean, its almost like a mirror and I don't like that, while the white model has a more acceptable and less glossy display (I've actually used it, but not the aluminum one).

Anyway, do you think the aluminum (basic model) is worth the extra cash or should I go for the white one and add more memory and such? By the way, this will be my first Mac if I end up getting it.

I'll use it to show my clients works and to do some graphic design, though not much because I have a capable desktop for that which I use as primary system. I do not want a Macbook Pro because it is too expensive.

I've actually spent quite some time researching these two models, their pros/cons, reading reviews, watching videos, etc. Either way I want your opinion. So, what you guys think?

the alu ones have those awesome trackpads with multitouch gestures which is superb! it's even better than a mouse!

i defenitely would go for the alu (i have one now :) ) because they look better and the screen is just gorgeous (try it, you'll love it!). and if you're presenting stuff to clients, your laptop can't be beautiful enough :D

Alum. Macbook is the way to go honestly, and the screen is barely reflective at all, brilliant for watching movies and its not what people think, as long as your brightness suits the area your in, no reflection at all basically, I use mine at school and its awesome, and the battery is freaking awesome! I get about 6-7 hours out of mine :D

Firewire doesn't really bother me, USB ports are fast on them anyway.. Apple 'turbo-charged' them or something, and thats why Firewire is gone :)

I got an Aluminum one, and its brilliant, just don't cover up the vent XD Otherwise a brilliant Mac, screen is awesome!

I couldn't agree more!

Although i do not own an aluminium macbook, i used my friends one only today, and, it is absolutely beautiful.

i cannot confirm the performance, but i do know that everyone moaning about the screen is only saying it because thats what they heard someone knowledgeable say so.

trust me on this, the screen is fantastic, i had a good play around with it, inside and outside in the park, and i didnt notice the reflective screen at all, it certainly beats my last gen whitebook.

but yeah, definitely go for the aluminium one, you wont regret it! :)