[GUIDE]Triple booting Vista, Ubuntu and OSX on HP DV6449US Laptop

PvP_LostKnight

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, first post here. I researched around for 3 days and finally was successful in installing 3 OS onto my Laptop.

Laptop= DV6449US, Turion x2, 2gb, 160gb hdd.

First I popped in Vista and partitioned 2: NTFS and freespace. After installation of Vista, I downloaded POWERISO and Ubuntu and mounted Ubuntu. I then installed Ubuntu within windows so window's MBR has 2 OSs now: Vista and Ubuntu. After installing those 2 OS's, I popped in Kalyway 10.5.2 pressed F8 then -F. It booted up into OSX installer and I installed OSX. Now if you restart it, you will now get some crappy errors. I then popped in gparted and made window's flag boot. I restarted my laptop into Vista and downloaded freeBCD. I then clicked on add/remove and made a OSX boot command to be joined into the MBR. Upon doing this, when I restarted it will show me 3 OS: Windows, Ubuntu and OSX on my MBR. Clicking on OSX, it will take me to two options: OSX NTFS and OSX. I clicked the down button to get OSX since clicking on the NTFS will just bring me back to the MBR. Then I clicked -F and it booted up into the first time setup installer shield. Upon completion of the shield, I was able to boot up into OSX. I did a time trial from booting up cold to OSX and it took 5min15sec.

Hope that helps everyone! Also does anyone know if I can setup the darwin so it can boot into -F instead of the original verbose mode? And does anyone know how to speed up the load time? Thanks for reading! Good luck!

EDIT: Just got the -F to autostart. I just went into the com.apple.boot.plist file and changed -v to -F. Still need to delete the NTFS OSX option in window's MBR

I set up a triple boot with OS X, Ubuntu, and Windows 7 on my PC simply by editing the entries in the GRUB bootloader. It was quite simple and provides a quick and easy interface for choosing an OS. It might be slightly easier for me though, as I have OS X on one hard drive and Ubuntu and Windows on another.