Hacked PS/2 Driver :)

babaev

210 posts in this topic

My native notebook keyboard did not work "out of the box".

I downloaded ApplePS2 driver source from Apple's developer site, hacked them a little (added self-test to keyboard enabling method) and my notebook's keyboard (notebook: LG LS50, Centrino (SSE2 only), ATI Radeon M10 (9600)) works almost perfect.

I give no guarantee, that it'll work with your's specific keyboard, but you can try. May be I'll continue to develop this driver. I'm totally newbie to MacOSX developing, so...

How to install:

1. download ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

2. unzip

3. copy it to /System/Library/Extensions (something like "cp -R ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/" in terminal)

4. modify owner (something like "chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext" in terminal)

before entering commands in terminal, switch to superuser mode ("su", press enter and enter password)

Reboot, unplug USB keyboard and enjoy (if you can).

This thing can be considered a Alpha product that is a first "real" release on this platform. Rules of logic dont apply. An extra key might be enough to throw the whole thing off and cause a panic for all we know.

Well, It's not a normal patch, it's a hack. Workink for me flawlessly.

I'm totally new to MacOSX an totally new to PS/2 . So, I need some more time to find out all the problems of Apple's driver. It's not complete - I can cay it because not all PS/2 messages are handled. And the problem of my keyboard was, that it didn't initialized properly.

I'll continue to develop this driver, so, may be in some time we'll get fully working one.

Allright dude! I also have an LG laptop, but LS 70 express model and my keyboard doesn't work too. Thank god that someone developed a patch... Will try patch as soon as get home from work :(

Well, a day passed. Driver works normally, without any problems (I work with another drivers now, so I do reboot often and so on). Even display backlight keys works (combinations with Fn key) and volume button works.

If anybody is interested - I've updated one more driver. PCCard now works for me. It's a Texas Instruments chipset. As I remember, TI7620. If anybody needs this updated driver, I can upload it here.

Repect man! My keyboard now works excellent!

Sure, upload the driver for PCCard... mine laptop has also Texas Instruments chipset - don't know which model, but i'd like to try...

I have a PS/2 keyboard and a USB mouse. Tried the patch, now OS X won't boot anymore. At the grey loading screen, I get that "no go" sign after a while. In verbose mode, I don't get any special error messages (afaik). I've tried booting with the -x parameter and with the platform parameter.

When I boot OS X from VMware (used the physical disk as a VMware "image"), everything works fine and OS X boots like normal. Could it be that VMware makes the system think I have a USB keyboard?

The weird thing is that when I boot with -v, it actually manages to boot all the way. I can use OS X like nothing happened. Even my iPod is recognized and mounted! Everything's tip top, except for one thing, of course. Any PS/2 device I have plugged in (first I tried with the keyboard on PS/2 and mouse on USB, then both on PS/2) won't function once OS X has booted. If I boot with the -s parameter, giving me access to a shell, I won't be able to type anything in.

I took a screenshot of the last message sent in verbose mode, along with the rest on the screen. I had both the mouse and the keyboard plugged in on PS/2 at the time. Clicky.

I took a screenshot of the last message sent in verbose mode, along with the rest on the screen. I had both the mouse and the keyboard plugged in on PS/2 at the time.

Try to check permissions on newly installed patch. There must be a line or two, mentioning PS/2 patch. Looks like you have wrong permissions/copied file to wrong place.

Anyway, if this patch does not work - please, tell you computer configuration, I'll try to solve this problem.

Try to check permissions on newly installed patch. There must be a line or two, mentioning PS/2 patch. Looks like you have wrong permissions/copied file to wrong place.

Anyway, if this patch does not work - please, tell you computer configuration, I'll try to solve this problem.

I put it in /System/Library/Extensions using the "cp -R" command and then chowned the kext with "chown -R root:wheel". Isn't that how I should do it?

The permissions window for the file I copied into the Extensions folder has the following in it:

Ownership & Permissions:
You can: Read only
Details:
Owner: system (lock icon)
Access: Read & Write

Group: wheel
Access: Read only

Others: Read only

Now my keyboard isn't working in VMware either :)

the owner of the file shouldn't be root, it should be system. this is much easier to change in the gui if you have administrator rights. just right click the file and choose "get info", and go to the bottom where it says permissions. go to details and choose system from the owner box, and wheel from the other. that should make it work.

Did you execute these commands in superuser mode?

Well, maybe, this patch isn't for you. What is your system configuration?

I'll do some attempts to fix the PS/2 devices once I get home from school. I am pretty sure I executed the commands in SU mode.

This morning I tried to make a document with the necessary terminal commands, and put that with the zip file containing the kext, and making an ISO of it. I then used the ISO as a CD-ROM-drive in VMware, brought up a terminal, opened the text document, copied the commands from the document, pasted in terminal, but that's where I get stuck. I have no idea of how to actually "enter" the stuff without my enter key ;)

My system consists of the following:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ (S754)

1024 MB Corsair Value Select PC3200

MSI K8N Neo Platinum Edition (nForce 250Gb chipset)

Hercules 9800 Pro

That's the relevant stuff :)

the owner of the file shouldn't be root, it should be system.  this is much easier to change in the gui if you have administrator rights.  just right click the file and choose "get info", and go to the bottom where it says permissions.  go to details and choose system from the owner box, and wheel from the other.  that should make it work.

When I 'chown' the kext to system:wheel, it gives me the following error:

chown: system: Invalid argument

No, if you use chown, you must use root:wheel. System - it's the name of "root" for GUI applications, as I understand. So, chown -R root:wheel if in terminal.

Last time I did that, it didn't work. Oh well, I'll try it again.

EDIT: Can't use the keyboard in OS X anymore :) Same thing as last time.

Last time I did that, it didn't work. Oh well, I'll try it again.

EDIT: Can't use the keyboard in OS X anymore :D Same thing as last time.

If it worked, why did you install patch? :)

If it didn't work neither before, not now - tell me you system configuration, please. I'll try to do something.