Marvell Yukon 8001 - the driver

m.musashi

409 posts in this topic

Hello!

First off I would like to say great work! I am new with this OSX86 scene but not new to linux or other OS's in any way. This driver works great for my hardware but there is an issue with it dropping out under high load. The high load does include BitTorrent download on transmission as well as just regular browsing in Safari. When I open 5 or more tabs loading pages like Yahoo, Microsoft, or Apple.com the Rx stops but Tx still works. I tried IFCONFIG DOWN IFCONFIG UP, static adresses, uninstalling the kext and reinstalling but still nothing. There is a error about queue stalling. "4/18/08 12:05:16 PM kernel skgeosx ERR: ouputPacket() stall 125:61:64 " When this happens all I can do is reboot to get it to work again. I am running the following.

OSX86 iAtkos v1 r3 Nforce Edition 10.5.1

Asus P5N-SLI

Intel 6600 2.13 ghz

2 x 1GB OCZ 800mhz

EVGA 7950GT KO 512MB

1 500gb Maxtor SATA

1 PLEXTOR DVDR PATA

Onboard Yukon 88E8001

Onboard Sound (believe its ADI1986a)

Thanks again and great work!

guys, been away for a while.

I won't be able to develop this driver further. I've upgraded my hardware and I don't have an 88e8001 anymore to test it on.

I now have a {censored} RTL8168B and the apple/realtek osx driver just plainly sux!! Wondering if it's worth porting the linux version.

kendo: that's strange. Extensive burn tests have been made and at worst the rx would stall (handling is done by Apple's IO stack) but then resume normally. There have been a couple of ppl mentioning the same issue on their system however. But I couldn't replicate nor track the problem.

Hi Guys,

Firstly, thanks to all who gave good advice on this thread. I don't often reply, but this was so handy and simple that I had to share:

I have a Dell Latitude C620 that harbours a (3Com) 3c905 c.

I upgraded JaS 10.4.7 with a working NIC to JaS 10.4.8 with no NIC.

The solution for me:

- Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext to a backup directory somewhere. I just created one in the root called Original Extentions.

- Extract the 10.4.3 versiion of IONetworkingFamily.kext (posted earlier in this thread) and place it in /System/Library/Extensions/

- Start a terminal and do some owner changes:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

- For good measure, delete /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

- Also delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

- Reboot

That's all I had to do.

Sorry this post is not directly related to the driver or even the 3c940. It was a long trail to even get here, so I hope this helps someone out there who ends up here like I did :hysterical:

- For good measure, delete /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

- Also delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

- Reboot

None of that is necessary anymore. It's old advice that was true once upon a time. With Leopard all you have to do is 'touch /System/Library/Extensions' and caches are rebuilt automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

im not having any luck with my P4C800-E Deluxe.

I cant seem to find the vendor /device id.

In System prefs i have the the en0 ethernet there, but it says Not Connected and Status says Cable Unplugged. Its plugged in :P and i have the orange light on at the back of the PC.

Help anyone?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for you help

I got the D-Link DGE-530T running in a EVGA 780i with a Q6700, I modify the number and installed the driver as instructed. I got this message:

Matching service count = 1

skgeosx::probe(ethernet)

skgeosx::start(ethernet) <1>

skgeosx: SKGE for OSx86 v0.2e ---- M.Musashi ©2007

skgeosx: VendorID:1186 DeviceID:4b01 Rev:11

skgeosx: board is Yukon-Lite

skgeosx: registerWithPolicyMaker

skgeosx: setPowerState state 1

Is this right? should I get more/another info here? I've been having some inestability/hang issues with my system and I want to discard that the problem is the network card, although this happens when I'm downloading with heavy traffic...

Thanks for your input!

Richard.

Just for clarification, I haven't seen this posted anywhere...

When you say to change xxxxxxxAB for the one corresponding to your card manufacturer, I get confused because that string shows twice, should it be changed only the first ocurrence? or in the 2 of them?, can somebody please post a running "Info.plist" as an example?

key>IOKitDebug</key>

<integer>65535</integer>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>skge</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x432011AB 0x170010B7 0x4C001186 0x43201148 0x435111AB 0x4B011186</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string>IOKit</string>

<key>Model</key>

<string>Yukon-88E8001</string>

<key>RxRingSize</key>

<integer>256</integer>

Hi all.

Everything works fine, but speed is not well. I have doalboot Vista, Leopard 10.5.2 (Kalyway, Vanila kernell Darvin 9.2.2) and I testing download from one of us server (win 2003 server, AppleTalk, Samba). Vista speed cca 60MB/sec, Leo speed is cca 10MB/sec :D FTP download is cca 15MB/sec. Any idea how to maximize network speed in Leo?

What is the maximum speed you achieve - Samba,AppleTalk,FTP?

LAN:(Alied Telesis AT-2916T - http://www.alliedtelesyneurope.com/product...216&lid=31) LAN Chip: Marvel 88E8001-LKJ1

I used skge02e.kext

skgeosx::probe(ethernet)
skgeosx::start(ethernet) <1>
skgeosx: VendorID:1148 DeviceID:4320 Rev:18
skgeosx: board is Yukon-Lite
skgeosx: registerWithPolicyMaker
skgeosx: setPowerState state 1
skgeosx: Ethernet address 00:0c:46:ce:0b:6c
skgeosx: Enabled!
skgeosx: setMulticastMode on
skgeosx: setMulticastMode off
skgeosx: link speed now 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
skgeosx : checking rx_mbuf:0 tx_mbuf:0
skgeosx: Disabled!
skgeosx: Enabled!
skgeosx: link speed now 1000 Mbps, full duplex.

good work musashi, thx

Thank all

Tried it on my HP 530 running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.3 with a DGE-530T using version 0.2e(u) and it simply didn't do a thing. I also tried a version named skge-e and the official driver and they also didn't work (and I got KPs when I plugged USB drives using these 2). Can you do something about it?

• 2 weeks later...

Er.. I don't understand anything.

I have Marvell Yukon 88E8001 card (4320-11AB) - everything had to work. I try to install the driver on MacOS 10.4.1 (Tiger) - I copy everything, clear the cache, reboot... and still have no ethernet. Neither of the network device is on..

What's I can't understand, it's that I've edited .plist file for ATI driver and it works now, although the patch reported error while installing... and in this case everything has to have passed OK but still..

I use 02e_U version on Tiger (10.4.1/SSE2 CPU - P4 Northwood).

...well, can anyone make a scrrenshot of System Profiler? I can't see wired networks cards there... I would like to see any of network cards among the Hardware list, between Memory, CPU, Graphics etc...

PS. Anyway, I can try installing 8139 card, but it's a cheat :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gurus,

I have an AMD3800+ 2GB machine with Marvell Yukon Network Controller. Being a really idiotic noob, I tried installing Kalyway's 10.5.2 on my PC. No problems with the install.

But when I tried your method to install Musashi's skge.kext.02d.zip, I run into some problems. When I tried executing your step 14, the system prompted no files found. Proceeded to 15 and rebooted the system and the system failed to boot even after a few hard resets.

Where did I go wrong? Or does this patch does not work with 10.5.2? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

at last:D:D:D i figure it out! easy and painless way.spent whole night on it but finally it's working:) heres my way:

my chip is 88e8053<--only 4 last digits matters.my hex number is 0x432011ab. i found some italian guide how to do it and did in 5 min<god>;p

guide:

1. download skgw.kext from here:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15700&st=0

2. save it somewhere<sorry for my stupid comments but i'm so happy;p

3. unzip it

4. place it for example on desktop

5. open terminal

6. type sudo -s and press enter

7. type your password and press enter

note:

if you unzipped it to your desktop,then type:

8. type: cd desktop and press enter(return key) if somewhere else it's good to know how to navigate thru folders in mac: list files: ls; current folder: pwd; entering folder: cd folder_name; changing to root folder:cd /;

don't place ";" in commands;p

let's move on:

9. mv skge.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns press enter(return key)

10. cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns press enter(return key)

11. chmod -R 755 skge.kext press enter(return key)

12. chown -R root:wheel skge.kext press enter(return key)

13. rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext press enter(return key)

14. rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache press enter(return key)

15. kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions press enter(return key)

16. reboot

WAIT AND ANJOY YOUR NETWORK CONNECTION:)

thanks to all people who helped me,and specially great thanks to m.musashi for developing working driver:)

i tried to do it by myself but relult was os crash after recieving first packets of data<-- was desperate to get it done...really

hope it will help somebody.if u have any questions,pm me;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried the latest version on my laptop Sony VGN-FZ290. I got the following error messages on dmesg.

I am running MAC OS X 10.5.4. What can I do? Thanks.

skgeosx::probe(PXSX)

skgeosx::start(PXSX) <1>

skgeosx: VendorID:11ab DeviceID:4351 Rev:16

skgeosx ERR: unsupported chip type 0xb7

skgeosx ERR: board reset failed

skgeosx: Stopped!

skgeosx::start(PXSX) <3> failed

I've a Marvell 8001 NIC (on an Asus P5B-V) and I use the Leopard build of your skge.kext.

Every time I boot my PC I get a kernel panic from skge.kext (1 in 2 boots, the next time it boots is does work). Could you explain this why it doesn't work the first time and does work the second time ?

Hey guys, here is a panic msg i get when i loaded the sjge.kext for my 88E8001/8002/8003 Gigabit adapter. Tubgirl 10.4.10 , Says it loads fine with kextload, i did notice it had a second line about dependancies. Wasnt clear as to what.

Regards,

Joedubya

I Get the same error! I PMed the author about the kernel panics during bootup (which happens to me 2 out of every 5 times). No response yet. Hopefully he reads this :P

Hey m.musashi,

Thx for your driver. My system was all the time freezing when using the Nvidia NForce 4 lan card. SO i disabled the Nforce and enabled the Marvell and with using your driver my system doesn't freeze anymore.

Thx,

H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am pretty stumped, and I hope someone can help.

I have a Sawtooth G4/450 running MacOS 10.4.11 (fresh install), and a D-Link DGE-530T Rev-B2. I have read every post in this thread, and have tried every .plist permutation I can think of with build 0.2d and 0.2e(u).

Every time I tried something new I followed Mr. Musashi's advice (Nov. 25, '06) to first trash the existing skge.kext file and delete the Extensions.ketxtcache and Extension.mkext, then reboot. I tried each of the several sets of instructions on this thread (I set up Applescripts to avoid retyping all those Terminal commands).

No one on the whole thread has mentioned having a Rev-B2 card, so I suspect that may be an issue. However, the 0.2e(u) driver seems to work partially, and with it my System Profiler recognizes the card and reports a device ID of 0x4b01, which is the same as a Rev-B1 card.

By "works partially" I mean that System Profiler sees the card, Network Preferences see the card (when I set up manual network settings I get a green dot in the Network Statud and it thinks things are fine, but when set to Automatic I get a self-assigned IP address and an orange dot). Either way, I can not see other machines on the network and can not connect to the internet.

When I try dmesg, I am seeing the same results as Skydiver Tak and 5onIt -- skgeosx: Enabled! but last line ERR: ouputPacket() stall.

Mr. Musashi mentioned using ifconfig to check things out... My Built-In Ethernet is en0, and the D-Link is en1. When I tried to change the NetworkInterfaces.plist file to switch en0 and en1, I got a strange occurrence -- I was able to load ONE web page! I saw life! And then the machine acted like the cable was pulled. I got a red dot in the Network Status. After that, the machine seemed to confuse the Built-In port with the D-Link card, and I got no further web connectivity until I rebooted and changed the prefs again, at which time I again got only one web page.

So... I know that I am close, and I know that this card CAN work, but I am stumped as to how I can get it all the way working. I have been scouring the net and the forums here to find the answer, but am afraid I am coming up short.

I really appreciate whatever help you can give.

thanks,

Graham Jones.

• 1 month later...