How to get AR5006EG / AR5007EG atheros wlan working and sound for Acer Aspire 4720z

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Many Nights

Many Nights

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
for anyone having problems with: Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI
in my case it was a problem with IOPCMCIAFamily.kext, so You could do like following:

1. boot from your installation DVD (i'm using iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8 lite) and hit F8 at the beginning to get boot options prompt
2. type -s to start in single user mode
3. after # prompt shows, type:
mount -uw /
(dvd won't be writeable anyways ;p)
4. then type:
mkdir /Volumes/HDD
5. after that type:
mount -t hfs /disk/disk0s1 /Volumes/HDD
note that disk0s1 is in my case first partition of my main hdd in my compal fl90 laptop, you can get to know which partition you are using by typing in:
ls /dev/disk*
and then checking one by one with:
fstyp /dev/disk{the disk number you got from previous command}
the one that returns "hfs" is probably the one your hackosx resides in :-P
6. after mounting Your partition do the following:
cd /Volumes/HDD
rm -rf System/Library/Extensions/IOPCMCIAFamily.kext
kextcache -k System/Library/Extensions
reboot
(you will probably need to reboot manually by pressing your reset/power button)

now your system should boot without problems but the wifi probably wont work (in my case it doesn't)

Jn6n

Jn6n

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
how can i downlaod Chun Nan's latest leopard IOPCMCIfamily.kext, IOPCIfamily and IONetworkingfamily.kext(s). ? The mediafire link doesn't include all of the kexts.

bci24sg22

bci24sg22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Thans jasballz for the tutorial. I use the tutorial for the Atheros to make it work. I am using Lion 10.7.1

I have the same wifi (168c:001c) In windows 7 i see it as AR5007 in Linux AR5001.

I installed the IO80211Family.kext. In System Preferences --> Network now it appears (attached screenshot).

I tried with kisMac but it doesn't see my card. Any ideas to make it work?

Attached Files

bci24sg22

bci24sg22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Thans jasballz for the tutorial. I use the tutorial for the Atheros to make it work. I am using Lion 10.7.1

I have the same wifi (168c:001c) In windows 7 i see it as AR5007 in Linux AR5001.

I installed the IO80211Family.kext. In System Preferences --> Network now it appears (attached screenshot).

I tried with kisMac but it doesn't see my card. Any ideas to make it work?

never mind.....forget about this stupid wifi card. I get a Broadcom BCM94321MC and is recognized as an airport extreme.

Cheers!

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

never mind.....forget about this stupid wifi card. I get a Broadcom BCM94321MC and is recognized as an airport extreme.

Cheers!

if u need atheros u can try AR5B91 .. works fine for me when 1C didnt ..even apples branded.
i believe it has to do with class type 0200= LAN, instead of 0280= wifi. the AR5B91 is 0280 type.

Testo94

Testo94

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Sorry that I am writing on that old Thread but is it possible that this fix is working under Lion? My AAO D250 has this wifi card and i really want to run Mac on it ^^

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Sorry that I am writing on that old Thread but is it possible that this fix is working under Lion? My AAO D250 has this wifi card and i really want to run Mac on it ^^

if the name of it is ar5bxb63 . i doubt it= only kismac method.
just replace it with ar5b91 its device id 2a and its supported 10.6.3+ they are cheap too 7$ or so and theyre 802.11N
(and only need optional dsdt subvendor id inject to 0x8F)
make sure u get a full pinout not some pins missing (for pci-e compatibility issues on some laptops)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy