How to get AR5006EG / AR5007EG atheros wlan working and sound for Acer Aspire 4720z

jasballz

87 posts in this topic

I just installed a fresh install of iDeneb 1.4 on my Acer Aspire 5310. And I installed the 3 kexts that you mentioned: IONetworkingFamily, IOPCIFamily and IOPCMCIAFamily, then I installed the IO80211Family kext and then repaired my permissions in Disk Utility.

Then I restarted and my computer and my wireless card (AR5007EG) was recognised straight away and the little Airport icon appeared on the top bar. But I had to open System Preferences >> Network >> Airport and click the apply button before Airport turned on. I started KisMAC and the spindle just spun.

So I restarted and shutdown and few times, each time scanning with KisMAC until on one boot KisMAC found my network! And the best thing was, was that there was no kernel panics! Yay!

I'm writing on my Aspire now connected to my wireless network. I hope this is the last I see of that dreaded blue ethernet cable :)

Sorry for double posting but, I have found that when you install the Airport Update 2009-001 it reset's your kext's you installed for wifi. So to stop it from finding that update, open Software Updater, Click on the Airport Update and on the menu bar click Update and click the Ignore Update option.

It will now not show the airport update.

Been using 10.5.5 with KisMAC on a eeePC1000H for about a month now, witht he same WiFi card.

The weakest link in all of this is KisMAC. 99.9% of all problems come from it.

KisMAC is super super sensitive to any changes in your system.

So, after 1 month of unreliable operation, Ive decided to get an Airport card and swap it. However, I found the following:

1> There are 3 main different types of KisMAC scans

A) Successful

The channel number icon next to the Start Scan button runs smoothly thorugh the channels and the SSIDs appear in the list.

RESULT: Connection

B> Half successful but no networks

i) The channel number icon moves slowly and skips channels.

ii) The channel number icon moves as A above but slows down after one/two complete channel cycles.

iii) The channel number icon next to the Start Scan button runs smoothly but no SSIDs appears

RESULT: Half way there

C> Lock up or no channels

i) Nothing. App can lock up and system cause a Kernel Panic

RESULT: Something big has messed up.

B can be solved by one of the following:

1> Reinstall the IO8...kext

2> Reboot into BIOS, switch off LAN, reboot

3> Reboot into BIOS, switch off WIFI, reboot. Reboot into BIOS, switch on WIFI, reboot.

4> Delete extensions cache. Repair permissions.

5> Delete LAN in Network Preferences

6> If Dual Boot XP or Vista, boot into windows, remove Wifi driver in device manager , restart and allow auto device to reinstall. Connect and then shutdown and boot into OSX. Shutdown again and boot into OSX

7> Boot in -f -v

8> Boot in -v

9> Boot -s

10> Boot -x then reboot

11> Boot into BIOS, change the system time, reboot.

12> Boot into BIOS, reset settings to default. reboot.

13> Remove any recently installed software.

If you get a C type scan then chances are a kext is clashing with KisMAC. This is much much harder to fix and I usually restore form Carbon Copy as I can no longer be arsed to spend half the day fixinig it. But, try all in the list above. try them 2 or 3 times.

IMPORTANT FOR CONTINUING USE

Once you get KisMAC working, use Carbon Copy to backup your system. Also do this before you install any new apps or change any system preferences.

KisMAC sucks big time. The problems are caused by the Growl framework that KisMAC uses.

Re the flakey boot up problem with the 4720z, and a solution if you are using the Chameleon V2 bootloader, I must give credit to redjaru who private messaged me:-

"-install Chameleon Bootloader 2.0RC1

-add this into your new com.apple.boot.plist that has been created by Chameleon Bootloader 2.0RC1 in your /extra folder:

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>"

I tried adding that but I also went back to the Chameleon V2 installer and this time selected, from Options, EHCIaccuire and UHCIreset. I later, as a test, removed the USBBusFix lines and still have a 100% bootup success rate using the 4720z.

Acer users might find this thread useful: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1147545 and I have posted a link to your thread there, also.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
where is chun-nan/eureka ? nothing lately..

pity... he was one of the brightest developers on osx86 - he solved a lot of things.

seems 400 was it for him.

btw this method does not work for me ... it does detect the card but can't see any wireless stations (+/- kissmac).

im in the same boat as you sama, It finaly detects the card however it wont see any networks. I just tried adding the 2nd hardware ID to the info.plist to see if that works, and it did not :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey thanks for this man, it really helped :P My wireless is now being detected but when i connect to my WEP protected router and it goes "Connection timed out". I thought it wasn't working so i took the security off and it worked! But then i thought naff that, i'll try WPA (PSK/Personal) out, and it works!!! :P

I am running iDeneb (v1.4) with the 10.5.8 update. And on an Acer Aspire 5310.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4838/screenshot7utq.png

I restarted and then it doesn't work so what can i do to prevent it from happening? I heard that you can just turn off aiport before you shutdown/restart and it somehow fixes it?. If so is there any way to make a shutdown script where it does it automatically?

And also one time i had a kernel panic on boot.

- Bass

• 4 weeks later...
Attached File(s) zip.gif Working_Wireless_and_Sound_1.zip ( 1.03MB ) Number of downloads: 1073

zip.gif Working_Wireless_and_Sound_2.zip ( 153.63K ) Number of downloads: 805

zip.gif Working_Wireless_and_Sound_3.zip ( 1.83MB ) Number of downloads: 980

zip.gif IO80211Family_kext_v.2.1.2.zip ( 1.7MB ) Number of downloads: 1642

zip.gif ar5007_6_eg_wlan_168x001c_kexts_and_kernel.7z.001.zip ( 2MB ) Number of downloads: 1392

zip.gif ar5007_6_eg_wlan_168x001c_kexts_and_kernel.7z.002.zip ( 2MB ) Number of downloads: 1081

zip.gif ar5007_6_eg_wlan_168x001c_kexts_and_kernel.7z.003.zip ( 2MB ) Number of downloads: 1036

zip.gif ar5007_6_eg_wlan_168x001c_kexts_and_kernel.7z.004.zip ( 2MB ) Number of downloads: 1029

zip.gif ar5007_6_eg_wlan_168x001c_kexts_and_kernel.7z.005.zip ( 127.64K ) Number of downloads: 1022

I have atheros ar5006x(5413).. will these files work for ne?

• 3 weeks later...
Atheros Minipci Wireless Network Card and

Realtech / Intel HD Audio Guide

(specefically on Acer Aspire 4720z running iATKOS 5i leo 10.5.6 but should be applicable for any with

similar devices)

AR5006EG / AR5007EG (device vendor ids: 168cx001c)

Wireless:

1) (why this is different from every other guide and what NEWBS don't know!) Install Chun Nan's latest leopard IOPCMCIfamily.kext, IOPCIfamily and IONetworkingfamily.kext(s). My IOPCMCIfamily, then the other two come from Marvel and Yukon that I got from the Acer Aspire One guide. They're in my attachments. Install.

2) Get kismac

3) Download and install Io80211family v 2.1.2 (see attached) (should already have <string>168cx1c</string> in AirportAtheros.kext/Info.plist)

4) You should have a working fan icon (make sure you check show wireless icon in System Preferences/Network

5) Open kismac, scan under "Airport Extreme Passive Mode" (Add in Preferences/Devices)

6) Should show networks in Kismac. If not, open network preferences and some wifi airport windows it will.

7) Stop kismac after a few seconds of exhaustive search (until you stop the open networks will not show under fan icon).

8) Join a network under the Airport Fan icon

9) Close kismac

10) You now have a working Atheros AR5006EG / AR5007EG* card!!! (vendor ids 168cx001c)

*Windows 7 Beta / Vista recognizes Atheros vendor id 168cx001c as AR5007EG. Whether or not it truly is, I don't know. Under Ubuntu 8.10 and iATKOS DPCI manager it says AR5006EG. And AirPort atheros gives it vendor ids of 168cx428 (even though in the Airportatheros.kext/info.plist it says "<string>168cx1c</string>". I don't know why. 3-07-09: Also noticed that the pc freezes sometimes on wifi, IDK y. Generally I'm guessing it has to do with my Intel Powermanagement tweaks, but IDK. Could be overload of the processor. Will keep you posted. This guide works with iATKOS 5i updated to Leo 10.5.6. I don't know about other Hackintoshes so keep me posted. Should work. Watch out for updates they can replace these kexts which are critical to your wifi. Specefically Airport Client update 004-2009, I think. If you install that you may have to reinstall these kexts.

Sound:

1) Install either (or both, it doesn't matter) ACL268installers

2) Install HDAEnabler (or AppleHDA i forget what its in my zips) with Kexthelper

3) Whether or not you run the spanish HDApatcher doesn't matter, sound will work. Switch between headphones and internal speakers with System Preferences/Sound

4) You now have working sound!! Realtech / Intel High Definition Audio (Acer Asipre 4720z)*

* 3-19-2009: Thanks to DetosX, ALC268_B gives a working automatic switch between headphones and internal speakers. Still looking for working shutdown/restart fix.

** 3/11/09 Working shutdown and restart with clean install on Leo 10.5.5 iATKOS 5i and installing my ALC268s but nonworking wireless.

Generally this info has been posted elsewhere, but my guide is different because most newbs don't know about Chun Nan's IOPCI kexts, and that they are critical to get a working PCI Atheros card since the card is dependent upon the PCI bus for communication. I found that info in a little known post, obscure, someplace and figured Id post a guide. If this helps you let me know! And if its retarded or supplementary feel free to delete! I will post this with attachments to the genius bar soon and probably Uphuck forums too in the near future. If you have any problems feel free to message me and I will try to help you. Rebranding the 168c 001c isn't a must. Besides you avoid likely bricking problems or having to buy a new wireless card.

Mo 3-23-09

The Working_Wireless_and_Sound.zips are the original kext files posted natively with this guide while the ar5007(6)eg...zips are a split 7z archive I compiled in order to address more recent problems brought up by users. In order to extract, remove the zip extension and use either 7-zip in Ubuntu/Wine or Windows or Stuffitexpander in MacOS.

Th 3-19-09

Note for users who are having difficulty getting their AR5006(7)EG to work: Does your airport icon show and is it turned on? Can you scan networks? Chun Nan's drivers should be platform independent so the solution should work on kalyway, idebneb and others.

Possible solutions for users with troubles:

(these should be implemented along with the instructions in this guide)

a) Make SURE that your atheros card IS attached to a pci bus for communication or this solution will be null.

:) MAKE SURE that your device vendor ids are 168cx001c. If it isn't search your vendor ids and download THAT wlan driver/fix, not this one.

c) Try editing the info.plist in atherosairport.kext to read <string>168cx428</sting> that may help.

d) Make SURE that you update to Leo 10.5.6 at mac's download site and have it running that kernel not toh, voodoo, or others. I have working wireless on my Acer running iATKOS 5i updated to 10.5.6 with ALC268_B sound. You have to make sure you update to 10.5.6. If you don't (and just run from iATKOS 5i 10.5.5 or w/e) it will just show a running fan icon but kismac won't find anything. And make sure you're running that kernel, not the one native to your install disk. Use OSX86Utils to install the kernel and kexts independtly.

e) download the latest AirportAtheros update (I think its 2009) and install

f) Install IOPCMCI, IONet, PCcard, IO80211 from my new ar5007(6)eg_wlan_168x001c_kexts_and_kernel.7z that I uploaded. You will have to try the others each one at a time, or all at once. Take off the .zip extensions and use 7zip to extract. I don't know what system you're running so it may cause a crash.

g) Switch kernels. Use OSX86 utils to insall my mach_kernel to your system (back up your running kernel as you may have to repair) and install system.kext as well.

h) Try switching to a vanilla kernel and then updating or vice versa.

i) Goto Chun Nan's Mediafire site (link on bottom) and try installing some of those kexts too

j) If you have a bad kismac scan, alternate installing the new kexts (specifically ionetwork, io80211fam, iopmcmia, iopcifam) with the old. I know that if I'm running Marvel or Yukon or Chunnan and have no scanned/found networks with kismac by installing the new ones with kexthelper i can get a good scan on the next boot or vicaversa.

Plz when posting tell me which of these u have tried and how it went so that I can take out nonworking solutions and highlight good ones.

I've uploaded my presently running kexts that I think may be relevant as I think that they may be different from Chunnan, Marvel and Yukon. Most of these probably are not relevant to the problems some users are having, but I think that most of them are.

Update 3-23 : Please reread my wireless guide if you are having problems connecting to a network after a good kismac scan as it has been updated.

Please don't just download; post results. And when asking for help plz also post your system make and model, and relevant wlan make and model and device vendor ids as outputted by either Windows XP/Vista/7 Device Manager or Ubuntu/Linux/Terminal LSPCI. Thank you. Also plz make sure that you have given my guide a good once-through read so that you are not being redundent.

Sources:

Acer Aspire One Guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96552&pid=689371&mode=threaded&start=#entry689371

AppleHDA ALC268 Shutdown Issues Solved! * :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96434&st=80&start=80

Chun Nan's IOPCI Guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81036&st=840

Chun Nan's MediaFire ** :

http://www.mediafire.com/chunnan

New ALC861VD ALC268...:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...aded&start=

*Not so, it doesn't work for me, Acer Aspire 4720z running iATKOS 5i updated to Leo 10.5.6

**if you have Tiger you'll have to download the Tiger IOPMCI from MediaFire. Chun Nan's other kexts may prove useful to you also. I noticed my power meter turn on (and stay on) after installing some, but installing more than what I said to in this guide may result in an unstable system or kernel panic (specefically APCIRuntime or ACPIPS2Nub). Feel free to use them, but be aware. When I had a working power meter and wireless both, the system would boot properly once and everything would be working, but every boot after that would be a kernel panic. I will try to figure out how to get the Power meter on too and post a complete guide.

thanks a zillion, the instructions work for me on my Compaq Presario cq60 145EI. I am only left with the video driver, it is a mobile intel 4 series chip. it sees intel cantiga when it boots up. i will need help if anyone got it working, i need the resolution 1280x900 or so, mine is wide resolution.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have a Atheros 5007EG 168x001c , I'm using iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition

Hardware ID PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_7128144F&REV_01

Driver Description Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

PCI Device Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter

I followed the guide and installed the kexts: IOPCMCIAfamily.kext, IOPCIfamily and IONetworkingfamily.kext(s)

And

Io80211family v 2.1.2

But the OS won't boot, it brings up a DISABLED sign on top of the Apple Logo, also I don't see the fan icon when I install. I used the kext installer in the package.

So any help?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I have a Atheros 5007EG 168x001c , I'm using iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition

Hardware ID PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_7128144F&REV_01

Driver Description Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

PCI Device Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter

I followed the guide and installed the kexts: IOPCMCIAfamily.kext, IOPCIfamily and IONetworkingfamily.kext(s)

And

Io80211family v 2.1.2

But the OS won't boot, it brings up a DISABLED sign on top of the Apple Logo, also I don't see the fan icon when I install. I used the kext installer in the package.

So any help?

Thanks.

Humm sometime its because mac isn't able to find a head to the computer (a monitor) try plug one in

Or when you're going before enter click something like down arrow then put -x -v and if it fail again (you hard drive will stop working, and no more information will come) take a picture and upload it here.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok i installed and i have you same device id. for the Ar5006Eg

I rebooted it detected new network. but thats as far as i can get..

It wont turn on via airport. it keeps saying turn aiport on. if i click it, it does nothhing

ive tried several reboots

Snow leopard server 10.6.2

In 32 bit mode

• 3 weeks later...

hi,i'italian and i've tried to follow the tutorial by jasballz,i installed all kext,airport is now active but the cirle is yellow and i cannot see any network in airport and in kismac.In kismac i enabled airport extreme card passive mode and tried to scan,but no network finded :D

please help me!I need the wifi because my pc not have ethernet!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Atheros Minipci Wireless Network Card and

Realtech / Intel HD Audio Guide

(specefically on Acer Aspire 4720z running iATKOS 5i leo 10.5.6 but should be applicable for any with

similar devices)

AR5006EG / AR5007EG (device vendor ids: 168cx001c)

Wireless:

1) (why this is different from every other guide and what NEWBS don't know!) Install Chun Nan's latest leopard IOPCMCIfamily.kext, IOPCIfamily and IONetworkingfamily.kext(s). My IOPCMCIfamily, then the other two come from Marvel and Yukon that I got from the Acer Aspire One guide. They're in my attachments. Install.

2) Get kismac

3) Download and install Io80211family v 2.1.2 (see attached) (should already have <string>168cx1c</string> in AirportAtheros.kext/Info.plist)

4) You should have a working fan icon (make sure you check show wireless icon in System Preferences/Network

5) Open kismac, scan under "Airport Extreme Passive Mode" (Add in Preferences/Devices)

6) Should show networks in Kismac. If not, open network preferences and some wifi airport windows it will.

7) Stop kismac after a few seconds of exhaustive search (until you stop the open networks will not show under fan icon).

8) Join a network under the Airport Fan icon

9) Close kismac

10) You now have a working Atheros AR5006EG / AR5007EG* card!!! (vendor ids 168cx001c)

Nice work. Does anyone know how i can boot my laptop without having to insert my flash drive at the apple boot screen for it to continue to load.

USB support is disabled in my bios. when i start my laptop and run -v it stops at IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors 0:23

when i plug in my flash drive or any other usb device, it continues to load

anything would be great on how i dont have to do this every time?

• 2 weeks later...

I have,I think, the same problem as the guy I qoted. I am a newb, so maybe I did something I shouldn't have. I didn't know how to install kexts so I used kext helper b7, and installed the first 3 kexts from the guide(IOPCMCIfamily,IOPCIfamily,IONetworkingfamily). I posted what shows up on my screen, I hope you can see. How do I boot now? It doesnt even boot from iDeneb CD

I get the following after installing the first 3 kexts on bootup:

"Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI"

"Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPCI"

using iPC 10.5.6, clean install on 4720z.

I installed all the 3 kexts at the same time, is there a problem with that?

pictureoc.jpg

Just an update on my problem... iDeneb CD didn't run, but now I managed to get it running. I noticed that there is an option to run Terminal from it. Can I use that Terminal to delete those kexts from my HDD and what commands should I write in it to do that?

• 1 month later...