How to get AR5006EG / AR5007EG atheros wlan working and sound for Acer Aspire 4720z

jasballz

87 posts in this topic

Atheros Minipci Wireless Network Card and

Realtech / Intel HD Audio Guide

(specefically on Acer Aspire 4720z running iATKOS 5i leo 10.5.6 but should be applicable for any with

similar devices)

AR5006EG / AR5007EG (device vendor ids: 168cx001c)

Wireless:

1) (why this is different from every other guide and what NEWBS don't know!) Install Chun Nan's latest leopard IOPMCIfamily.kext, IOPCIfamily and IONetworkingfamily.kext(s). My IOPMCIfamily, then the other two come from Marvel and Yukon that I got from the Acer Aspire One guide. They're in my attachments. Install.

2) Get kismac

3) Download and install Io80211family v 2.1.2 (see attached) (should already have <string>168cx1c</string> in AirportAtheros.kext/Info.plist)

4) You should have a working fan icon (make sure you check show wireless icon in System Preferences/Network

5) Open kismac, scan under "Airport Extreme Passive Mode" (Add in Preferences/Devices)

6) Should show networks in Kismac. If not, open network preferences and some wifi airport windows it will.

7) Stop kismac after a few seconds of exhaustive search (until you stop the open networks will not show under fan icon).

8) Join a network under the Airport Fan icon

9) Close kismac

10) You now have a working Atheros AR5006EG / AR5007EG* card!!! (vendor ids 168cx001c)

*Windows 7 Beta / Vista recognizes Atheros vendor id 168cx001c as AR5007EG. Whether or not it truly is, I don't know. Under Ubuntu 8.10 and iATKOS DPCI manager it says AR5006EG. And AirPort atheros gives it vendor ids of 168cx428 (even though in the Airportatheros.kext/info.plist it says "<string>168cx1c</string>". I don't know why. 3-07-09: Also noticed that the pc freezes sometimes on wifi, IDK y. Generally I'm guessing it has to do with my Intel Powermanagement tweaks, but IDK. Could be overload of the processor. Will keep you posted. This guide works with iATKOS 5i updated to Leo 10.5.6. I don't know about other Hackintoshes so keep me posted. Should work. Watch out for updates they can replace these kexts which are critical to your wifi. Specefically Airport Client update 004-2009, I think. If you install that you may have to reinstall these kexts.

Sound:

1) Install either (or both, it doesn't matter) ACL268installers

2) Install HDAEnabler (or AppleHDA i forget what its in my zips) with Kexthelper

3) Whether or not you run the spanish HDApatcher doesn't matter, sound will work. Switch between headphones and internal speakers with System Preferences/Sound

4) You now have working sound!! Realtech / Intel High Definition Audio (Acer Asipre 4720z)*

* 3-19-2009: Thanks to DetosX, ALC268_B gives a working automatic switch between headphones and internal speakers. Still looking for working shutdown/restart fix.

** 3/11/09 Working shutdown and restart with clean install on Leo 10.5.5 iATKOS 5i and installing my ALC268s but nonworking wireless.

Generally this info has been posted elsewhere, but my guide is different because most newbs don't know about Chun Nan's IOPCI kexts, and that they are critical to get a working PCI Atheros card since the card is dependent upon the PCI bus for communication. I found that info in a little known post, obscure, someplace and figured Id post a guide. If this helps you let me know! And if its retarded or supplementary feel free to delete! I will post this with attachments to the genius bar soon and probably Uphuck forums too in the near future. If you have any problems feel free to message me and I will try to help you. Rebranding the 168c 001c isn't a must. Besides you avoid likely bricking problems or having to buy a new wireless card.

Mo 3-23-09

The Working_Wireless_and_Sound.zips are the original kext files posted natively with this guide while the ar5007(6)eg...zips are a split 7z archive I compiled in order to address more recent problems brought up by users. In order to extract, remove the zip extension and use either 7-zip in Ubuntu/Wine or Windows or Stuffitexpander in MacOS.

Th 3-19-09

Note for users who are having difficulty getting their AR5006(7)EG to work: Does your airport icon show and is it turned on? Can you scan networks? Chun Nan's drivers should be platform independent so the solution should work on kalyway, idebneb and others.

Possible solutions for users with troubles:

(these should be implemented along with the instructions in this guide)

a) Make SURE that your atheros card IS attached to a pci bus for communication or this solution will be null.

;) MAKE SURE that your device vendor ids are 168cx001c. If it isn't search your vendor ids and download THAT wlan driver/fix, not this one.

c) Try editing the info.plist in atherosairport.kext to read <string>168cx428</sting> that may help.

d) Make SURE that you update to Leo 10.5.6 at mac's download site and have it running that kernel not toh, voodoo, or others. I have working wireless on my Acer running iATKOS 5i updated to 10.5.6 with ALC268_B sound. You have to make sure you update to 10.5.6. If you don't (and just run from iATKOS 5i 10.5.5 or w/e) it will just show a running fan icon but kismac won't find anything. And make sure you're running that kernel, not the one native to your install disk. Use OSX86Utils to install the kernel and kexts independtly.

e) download the latest AirportAtheros update (I think its 2009) and install

f) Install IOPMCI, IONet, PCcard, IO80211 from my new ar5007(6)eg_wlan_168x001c_kexts_and_kernel.7z that I uploaded. You will have to try the others each one at a time, or all at once. Take off the .zip extensions and use 7zip to extract. I don't know what system you're running so it may cause a crash.

g) Switch kernels. Use OSX86 utils to insall my mach_kernel to your system (back up your running kernel as you may have to repair) and install system.kext as well.

h) Try switching to a vanilla kernel and then updating or vice versa.

i) Goto Chun Nan's Mediafire site (link on bottom) and try installing some of those kexts too

j) If you have a bad kismac scan, alternate installing the new kexts (specifically ionetwork, io80211fam, iopmcmia, iopcifam) with the old. I know that if I'm running Marvel or Yukon or Chunnan and have no scanned/found networks with kismac by installing the new ones with kexthelper i can get a good scan on the next boot or vicaversa.

Plz when posting tell me which of these u have tried and how it went so that I can take out nonworking solutions and highlight good ones. BTW I prolly replied to ur post already but it is appended in one large post due to some strange err on here Plz read and reply. Thank you.

I've uploaded my presently running kexts that I think may be relevant as I think that they may be different from Chunnan, Marvel and Yukon. Most of these probably are not relevant to the problems some users are having, but I think that most of them are.

Update 3-23 : Please reread my wireless guide if you are having problems connecting to a network after a good kismac scan as it has been updated.

Please don't just download; post results. And when asking for help plz also post your system make and model, and relevant wlan make and model and device vendor ids as outputted by either Windows XP/Vista/7 Device Manager or Ubuntu/Linux/Terminal LSPCI. Thank you. Also plz make sure that you have given my guide a good once-through read so that you are not being redundent.

Sources:

Acer Aspire One Guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96552&pid=689371&mode=threaded&start=#entry689371

AppleHDA ALC268 Shutdown Issues Solved! * :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96434&st=80&start=80

Chun Nan's IOPCI Guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81036&st=840

Chun Nan's MediaFire ** :

http://www.mediafire.com/chunnan

New ALC861VD ALC268...:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...aded&start=

*Not so, it doesn't work for me, Acer Aspire 4720z running iATKOS 5i updated to Leo 10.5.6

**if you have Tiger you'll have to download the Tiger IOPMCI from MediaFire. Chun Nan's other kexts may prove useful to you also. I noticed my power meter turn on (and stay on) after installing some, but installing more than what I said to in this guide may result in an unstable system or kernel panic (specefically APCIRuntime or ACPIPS2Nub). Feel free to use them, but be aware. When I had a working power meter and wireless both, the system would boot properly once and everything would be working, but every boot after that would be a kernel panic. I will try to figure out how to get the Power meter on too and post a complete guide.

I have a working wifi! It's good

Install iATKOS 4i,

update to 10.5.6

install PS2Fix Keyboard and Mouse

install official update airport client 2009 001 from apple.com

install ionetworking, iopccard and io80211family - I didn't install IOPMCIAFamily.kext, because it's damage for my system (i don't know why)

after that i do like in instruction from jasballz

I could to connect in University, but can'not connect nome.

My router log:

"Jan 1 00:04:51 Remote management is disabled.

Jan 1 00:04:51 Block WAN PING is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:55 Remote management is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:55 Block WAN PING is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:52 Remote management is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:52 Block WAN PING is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:48 DHCP: Server sending ACK to 192.168.0.101. (Lease time = 604800)

Jan 1 00:00:48 DHCP: Server receive REQUEST from 00:1f:e1:3b:9c:53. //MAC of my AcerMacBook

Jan 1 00:00:48 DHCP: Server sending OFFER of 192.168.0.101.

Jan 1 00:00:46 Remote management is disabled.

"

KisMAC showed me a unSSID network and disconnect.

Help!

I have a working wifi! It's good

Install iATKOS 4i,

update to 10.5.6

install PS2Fix Keyboard and Mouse

install official update airport client 2009 001 from apple.com

install ionetworking, iopccard and io80211family - I didn't install IOPMCIAFamily.kext, because it's damage for my system (i don't know why)

after that i do like in instruction from jasballz

what ionet, iopccard, and io80211--working_wireless_and_sound or ar5007(6)EG_kexts_and_running_kernel? Plz post a notification icon against your post for other users with difficulties

My apologies. I was so excited about a possible solution that I neglected to RTFM as thoroughly as I should have. I shall now don my dunce cap, and will post results later this week. And thank you for your work on this.

Before posting, PLZ read my guide carefully. I say specifically under "to users with problems:"

"Take off the .zip extensions and use 7zip to extract."

As far as I know, Stuffit expander has the ability to extract it once you remove the .zip extensions in leopard os x. If any other users have had troubles extracting pls let me know, however I have tested it and as far as I know its a good split and working archive. What has been everyone's experience with the newly uploaded archive?

Jasballz

Hi look in my vendor ids i dont have of 168cx105 i have:

Win 7 screens:

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/vvgnd4CMGC/capture

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/eX8EmDP77G/capture2

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/nC8kRNPTuJ/capture3

And Win Xp screens:

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/fSpPcorcDb/xp1

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/7R5ELR9Afm/xp2

In Win 7 and xp wifi worked. Please send me what should i do.

Thanks for all.

Hi look in my vendor ids i dont have of 168cx105 i have:

Win 7 screens:

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/vvgnd4CMGC/capture

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/eX8EmDP77G/capture2

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/nC8kRNPTuJ/capture3

And Win Xp screens:

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/fSpPcorcDb/xp1

http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/7R5ELR9Afm/xp2

In Win 7 and xp wifi worked. Please send me what should i do.

Thanks for all.

I could to connect in University, but can'not connect nome.

My router log:

"Jan 1 00:04:51 Remote management is disabled.

Jan 1 00:04:51 Block WAN PING is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:55 Remote management is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:55 Block WAN PING is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:52 Remote management is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:52 Block WAN PING is disabled.

Jan 1 00:00:48 DHCP: Server sending ACK to 192.168.0.101. (Lease time = 604800)

Jan 1 00:00:48 DHCP: Server receive REQUEST from 00:1f:e1:3b:9c:53. //MAC of my AcerMacBook

Jan 1 00:00:48 DHCP: Server sending OFFER of 192.168.0.101.

Jan 1 00:00:46 Remote management is disabled.

"

KisMAC showed me a unSSID network and disconnect.

Help!

orzech: thx for the pics. ;)

u need to follow this guide. I think that you have a genuine AR5007EG since it shows that in both XP and 7 (Which is unlike mine since in XP mine reads as AR5006EG and in 7 as AR5007EG). But since you have device vendor ids of 168cx001c this guide should work for you.

Note to future posters requesting help--please actually TRY my guide COMPLETELY b4 u post requesting help, NAMASTE

Soundblaster: IDK ur problem exactly as u were able to connect to the university's wireless, so I'm guessing it has something to do with your 'nome' 's wireless, not the drivers. What is a 'nome' anyway?

where to get IOPMCIfamily.kext?

i tried looking, but couldnt find any.

is it IOPCMCIA?

IOPMCI is IOPCMCIA

orzech: thx for the pics. :D

u need to follow this guide. I think that you have a genuine AR5007EG since it shows that in both XP and 7 (Which is unlike mine since in XP mine reads as AR5006EG and in 7 as AR5007EG). But since you have device vendor ids of 168cx001c this guide should work for you.

Thanks for reply.

I have a request to You: would You explain me, step by step, what should I do, because I use Google's translator and I that's the reason I might be wrong.

Thanks a lot.

^ translate my friend :D thanks!!

Thanks for reply.

I have a request to You: would You explain me, step by step, what should I do, because I use Google's translator and I that's the reason I might be wrong.

Thanks a lot.

^ translate my friend :angry2: thanks!!

Oh, sorry, I did not know. Parlez-vous francaise? Si vous trouvez parler en francaise facile, vous parlerais.

What is your native language? Mssg me or email me at raymonjc@sbu.edu and I will try my best. There is also babelfish at yahoo to translate

Hi guys i tried to install this on a nc10 with same wifi card but it didnt work.

I installed first 2 kext and did reboot and now my mac os wont boot.

i get the apple logo and a circle with line accross it. How can i fix this please?

Thank you

its ok i reinstalled mac os x lol

Hi guys i tried to install this on a nc10 with same wifi card but it didnt work.

I installed first 2 kext and did reboot and now my mac os wont boot.

i get the apple logo and a circle with line accross it. How can i fix this please?

Thank you

its ok i reinstalled mac os x lol

Please post in the appropriate forum.

domoarigatso

jasballz

So, KisMAC Trunk r319 cant seem to find any networks hopefully somone can help guide me to get on the right path. Here is what i have done in order:

Installed mac 10.5.5 from iatkos v5i

downloaded mac 10.5.6 update on my pc put it in usb and installed it on the mac laptop

Used Kext Helper B7 to install the following kexts:

I080211Family.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IOPCMIAFamily.kext

turned airport on and made it so it appeared on the toolbar

put kisMac trunk r319 on the desktop set its preference device to:

Apple Airport or airport extreme card,active mode

oh i forgot somewhere in there i ran alc268_installer

EDIT: just upated with mac's new airport 2009 update, and it airport says no card found, and when i click start scan, it comes up saying loading apple airport extreame card passive mode disappears and stops

So, KisMAC Trunk r319 cant seem to find any networks hopefully somone can help guide me to get on the right path. Here is what i have done in order:

Installed mac 10.5.5 from iatkos v5i

downloaded mac 10.5.6 update on my pc put it in usb and installed it on the mac laptop

Used Kext Helper B7 to install the following kexts:

I080211Family.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IOPCMIAFamily.kext

turned airport on and made it so it appeared on the toolbar

put kisMac trunk r319 on the desktop set its preference device to:

Apple Airport or airport extreme card,active mode

oh i forgot somewhere in there i ran alc268_installer

EDIT: just upated with mac's new airport 2009 update, and it airport says no card found, and when i click start scan, it comes up saying loading apple airport extreame card passive mode disappears and stops

Whenever you update to Apple's airport you have to reinstall IOMPMCIA, IONETWORKINGFamily, Io80211, and maybe PCICard. Sound kexts don't effect wifi. Does it recognize your airport or not? You have to make sure you delete the extensions cache (extensions.mkext), ALL OF THEM, and repair permissions too. Also please make sha to read over my guide and see if your problem can't be fixed with one of the many solutions offered or the solutions other users have found in replies to this topic. And also make sure that your device vendor ids are (168cx001c)

oh,my god ,i meet both problems

my ALC268 soundboard's DeviceID is 0x026810de (seen in vista (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0268&SUBSYS_10250127&REV_1000)

but in iDeneb 10.5.6 only can be read as 0x01271025 i dont konw why?

so ,may i ask dose your sound driver capbale for 0x026810de???

thanks

To the stalker who hunted down my email and asked some words about ALC: 1) I cannot reply to you in email, therefore I am posting to you here 2) This guide is primarily about WIFI: caught on yet? 3) There is no gr8r tutor in this world besides -YOU- 4) If you or anybody else decides to stalk dwn my -personal- email vs PMing me--I will stalk YOU down and start asking you technical questions and see how YOU lke it! 5) Also if you had read my SIGNATURE youd see I no longer -boot- mac os x86; I virtualize: I wrote a guide on that too; same rules apply. 6) Good job! 7) You have now fixed your problem! -Thx!- -Bows- ;-) Jas -just Jas--neither Butso, Tagatha nor Bodhisattva--just a 21-yr-old trickster!

If anyone else would like someone to hold their hand and walk them thru -this- complex! guide: you are more than welcome to email the wonderful poster who spat out his email in about two posts above--asking about ALC such-and-such. --This man is more knowlledgable than I, plz email him your questions as he is more than happy to offer a reply! May help! May not! Its up to you. Jas -- Everything taken care of. Heart pumps, lungs breathe, mind thinks. Jas jas-es. Jas is a 21-year-old trickster! Do not trust him at all! -Thank you!- -bows.-

a hand to hold yours: zihaibin@yahoo.com.cn

*a hand to hold yours: z.haibin@yahoo.com.cn *

To the stalker who hunted down my email and asked some words about ALC: 1) I cannot reply to you in email, therefore I am posting to you here 2) This guide is primarily about WIFI: caught on yet? 3) There is no gr8r tutor in this world besides -YOU- 4) If you or anybody else decides to stalk dwn my -personal- email vs PMing me--I will stalk YOU down and start asking you technical questions and see how YOU lke it! 5) Also if you had read my SIGNATURE youd see I no longer -boot- mac os x86; I virtualize: I wrote a guide on that too; same rules apply. 6) Good job! 7) You have now fixed your problem! -Thx!- -Bows- ;-) Jas -just Jas--neither Butso, Tagatha nor Bodhisattva--just a 21-yr-old trickster!

If anyone else would like someone to hold their hand and walk them thru -this- complex! guide: you are more than welcome to email the wonderful poster who spat out his email in about two posts above--asking about ALC such-and-such. --This man is more knowlledgable than I, plz email him your questions as he is more than happy to offer a reply! May help! May not! Its up to you. Jas -- Everything taken care of. Heart pumps, lungs breathe, mind thinks. Jas jas-es. Jas is a 21-year-old trickster! Do not trust him at all! -Thank you!- -bows.-

a hand to hold yours: zihaibin@yahoo.com.cn

*a hand to hold yours: z.haibin@yahoo.com.cn *

i 'm so sorry to disturb u ,i come to this forum just want to learn about mac,so every topics i read,therefore i see your email in your disscussion with others

i did not know about mac at all,i used mac system just a week.

because of pool english, it's not easy to those who's mother language is not english to learn mac,it's so professional

finally,thank u share those drivers although i can't download them

i 'm so sorry to disturb u ,i come to this forum just want to learn about mac,so every topics i read,therefore i see your email in your disscussion with others

i did not know about mac at all,i used mac system just a week.

because of pool english, it's not easy to those who's mother language is not english to learn mac,it's so professional

finally,thank u share those drivers although i can't download them

Hey, ok. There is a thing called Babel translator at Altavista, and if you can't download them, I can't help you--that has to do with your internet or something. Maybe I will upload them to mediafire/megaupload.com for everyone (so I don't get swamped with emails). PM me first

I just wanted to post my results after DAYS of trying to get this card working.

- AR5007eg is working!

- WiFi connection requires KisMAC with Airport Extreme (passive)

- Chances of getting networks to show up: ~75%. I have to restart if it doesn't catch any networks.

- I love those of you who take the time to help out those with what I'll politely call "less than expert" knowledge with this stuff. You may get thanked a lot, but you don't truly understand how appreciated it is when you simply take 5 seconds out of your day to help a newbie. So again, thank you!

Just a side note: I feel like I learned so much by going through the reading and processing of all this info here. So to anyone who is about to embark on the tiring journey of OSx86, don't give up. It's more rewarding than you think.

Proud donator,

Caffeineighted

PS. jasballz, you're the sh*t!

My Atheros 5007EG is working!!! iWin!

I installed iAtkos v5, official combo update to 10.5.6, newest official airport update, and install io80211Family.kext. Then I run KisMAC and choose AirPort Extreme passive mode with all chanels. Then scan. Then stop after find. Then go to Network settings. Choose my home wi-fi net, insert a pass. And vu-ala!!! I'm connected to Internet!

Now I'm writing this reply under Mac OS!!!

Thanks for you great work, it helped me alot so far!! I only have an issue with the AR5007EG card, i've done everything u mentioned but when it comes to searching for networks...I never find anything!! can u plz help me? i've been looking around for about 3 days now !!

Thanks in advance :)

Ha ha! Man, that sux for you. Generally if you can't find anything for the first couple of minutes then that means its not working. Please reread my guide and try the other fixes. and then post to me and tell me whats going on, and what you've done.