ATI HD4670

guest048

32 posts in this topic

After installing kexts released few days ago for latest ati cards on my 10.5.6 i get output but it is colorful picture with all colors mixed and i cannot see anything on my desktop. Is there someone successful with HD4670? :rolleyes:

Here is what system profiler says without any kext, card is actually 512MB VRAM:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9490

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

After installing kexts released few days ago for latest ati cards on my 10.5.6 i get output but it is colorful picture with all colors mixed and i cannot see anything on my desktop. Is there someone successful with HD4670? :(

Here is what system profiler says without any kext, card is actually 512MB VRAM:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9490

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

I have a Powercolor Radeon HD 4670 1GB and am experiencing a similar problem. I don't think the 4670 is supported yet, although may be wrong and would appreciate anyone who knows otherwise letting me know.

When I install the natit kexts and reboot (with my VGA monitor connected through a DVI<->VGA converter, and another DVI<->VGA converter in the other video port, I see a grey screen immediately after the grey Apple loading screen with the spinning 'wheel'. This features several graphics 'corruptions' which move when I move the mouse, which appears to me to indicate corruption of the graphics.

I have tried connecting the actual monitor to both DVI ports (with the DVI<->VGA connecter in the other port) as per the instructions, but to no avail. I would love to get this card working and would be willing to try out anything that is suggested, as this partition I am using is not my 'main' OSX86 partition and I know how to add and remove kexts etc. as necessary.

[edit] My system - Dell Dimension E520 with Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86 GHz)

3GB DDR2 RAM

Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4670 (1GB) - can find out the device ID if necessary (am not at my osx86 box right now)

iPC 10.5.6 ppf 3 installed (I know, I know, I need to get round to updating the ISO to PPF6, just haven't found the time yet)

Just a thought - perhaps the 'official' 10.5.7 release will add better support, or is this just a silly hope?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

I have used a ASUS EAH4350 512MB silent on iDeneb 10.5.6 without any kexts and it works fine.

All works except QE and i'm stuck at VESA resolution

I have bought a HIS 4670 ICEQ4, thinking that 4350 and 4670 can actually work together.

That aside...

Although I have not tried anything yet, i think that it will work fine w/o kexts but at VESA resolution and no QE.

Will try and report back

BTW. during iDeneb installation, i didnt select any graphics kexts.

P5q-pro

2 x 2GB 800Mhz Ram

HD4350 and HD4670

EDIT: Well, as mentioned. VESA no QE, CI in software

• 3 weeks later...
The 4650 and 4670 are not supported, by the natit driver, at the moment, you can read it 2 threads below this one.

But if there is all those Beta 10.5.7 builds, nobody can't extract kext from it like netkas did with 4870/4850... this led me to believe that 10.5.7 wont bring 4670 support :hysterical:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
After another 6 months i decided to give another try with mac os x because of new kexts from 10.6.2 (http://netkas.org/?p=284). So i installed snow leopard and updated it to 10.6.1 and then i installed these new kexts but it's still not working, i get black screen...

Is there anyone who successfully enabled QE/CI with HD4670 ?

Hello guest048,

I can confirm that I have a Sapphire 4670 (1gb ddr3) on a Gigabyte P55M-UD2/i5 750/10.6.2 working with QE/CI (confirmed via ripple effects in Dashboard-add widget).

Cannot get dual monitor setup. Only VGA out works, or VGA + DVI via DVI=>VGA adaptor for mirror mode only (display connected by DVI=>VGA does not show up in displays or system profile. HDMI via HDMI=>DVI also doesn't work, you get display during PC EFI boot, but once it goes to login, only black screen.

I'm relatively new to Hackintosh so I haven't done anything special with my install, I just followed tonymacx86's blog, used his dsdt.aml, extras, etc. (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/)

BTW - if anyone else is trying to extend their desktop, I'm currently looking into USB2.0 to VGA/DVI display adaptors, I didn't even know such things existed. Apparently, all you do is plug one end to your monitor, the other end into a USB2 port on your computer and it shows up as an extra display.

Goodluck

• 5 weeks later...

I have HD4670 ID 1002:9490

This method works full for me (full article http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...p/t203990.html) :

Chameleon RC4 is missing some framebuffer settings for 46xx cards, so we need to patch it. It appears that 46xx cards are using the Shrike framebuffer, and Chamelon RC4 inject them as Motmot, plus there is a template "bug".

- download Chameleon RC4 sources

- unrar sources

- open a terminal and go to the Chameleon sources folder

- edit the i386/libsaio/ati.c file

- Find your PCI ID (around line 200) and change Motmot to Shrike (46xx only)

For me :

221 { 0x10029490, "Motmot"} ,

Becomes :

221 { 0x10029490, "Shrike"} ,

Search the following line (line 668) :

if(framebuffer[0] == 'M' && framebuffer[1] == 'o' && framebuffer[2] == 't') //faster than strcmp

Replace by :

if(1) // FIXME

(Note : we need to find a better way to fix that, and call evprop_add_ati_template_4xxx(device); only for 4xxx cards, maybe an id range ?)

- Save changes

- Type make embedtheme in the Chameleon sources folder :

demik@rampage ~/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-src

% make embedtheme

- backup your /boot file, for example :

sudo cp /boot /boot.old

- install your patched Chamelon RC4 :

sudo cp Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-src/sym/i386/boot /boot

- reboot, it should work with your patched bootloader

All you need SnowLeopard 10.6.2 + Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684(with modif boot file)

Boot file in Attachment.

boot.zip

hi pillmen is the boot file in your attachment the modif boot file or do i have to modify it myself? do i need other kexts than stock 10.6.2 ati kexts? it would be awesome if i could get my ati 4670 running in mac osx.

thanks for help

edit: your boot file realy did the trick. now my sapphire hd 4670 is fully working. i replaced only my boot file and kept stock 10.6.2 kexts. but my ram is only detected as 667mhz and should be 800mhz. with AsereBLN Booter Version 1.1.8 only my geforce 6600gt works but memory is detected as 800 mhz. i think it boots up faster too...do you think you can modify AsereBLN Booter to make it work with ati 4670? or do you know how i can fix memory detection?

anyways i am happy now. before i had to switch gfx card every time i switched between ubuntu and sl...pretty annoying..

I think i can't fix it. May be try some version of SMBIOS.kext or something like this.

too bad...my idea was to modify the boot file from AsereBLN Booter Version 1.1.8 in the same manner you modified chameleon rc4. AsereBLN Booter Version 1.1.8  is based on chameleon rc4...so there´s no chance of modif AsereBLN Booter Version 1.1.8?

anyway your boot file helps very much! thanks  :(

too bad...my idea was to modify the boot file from AsereBLN Booter Version 1.1.8 in the same manner you modified chameleon rc4. AsereBLN Booter Version 1.1.8  is based on chameleon rc4...so there´s no chance of modif AsereBLN Booter Version 1.1.8?

anyway your boot file helps very much! thanks  ;)

You can edit Asere's Bootloader in the same manner. Just download the Sources here:

http://github.com/aserebln/Chameleon/archi...AsereBLN_v1.1.8

and do the same manner as demik suggested.

Of course, in his instructions the line was 668, but in asere ati.c, I think it was line 655. Also, instead of "make embedtheme", just use "make".

I did this with asere 1.1.8 and I also did this in netkas 10.6

Also, this is how I did it with replacing line 655 in Asere ati.c: (I also copied the lines before and after, so you'll know exactly how it looks like).

Before:

verbose("boot display - %x\n", boot_display);
devprop_add_value(device, "@0,AAPL,boot-display", (uint8_t*)&boot_display, 4);

if (framebuffer[0] == 'M' && framebuffer[1] == 'o' && framebuffer[2] == 't') {
	devprop_add_ati_template_4xxx(device);
} else {
	devprop_add_ati_template(device);

After:

verbose("boot display - %x\n", boot_display);
devprop_add_value(device, "@0,AAPL,boot-display", (uint8_t*)&boot_display, 4);

if(1) //faster than strcmp;)
	devprop_add_ati_template_4xxx(device);
else
{
	devprop_add_ati_template(device);

I'm not sure if it is legal to upload here but mods, please remove it if it does violate anything.

WORD OF WARNING: I'm not sure if this will work on your 4670 .. I just followed the instructions carefully and replaced Motmot to Shrike then replaced the framebuffer line .. that is it. I don't even have a 4670 to test this. Do this at your own risk. Make sure you know how to backup "working" boot file and know how to restore it. I suggest restoring it in single user mode.

This could either produce a black screen or kernel panic on X2000.kext - if it does that, you just restore your working boot file.

As far as I can tell, the Shrike method does not work on my EAH4650. It gives me a black screen. I reverted back to motmot.

All credit goes to Demik for the instructions :)

So here is the Asere1.1.8 modded shrike:

boot.zip

my hd4670 works well with shrike and chameleon rc4. i think i have to test your asere modded shrike version. i never compiled anything and did not realy understand how to make my own asere shrike mod. this is really helpful. thanks man!

edit: just tested the bootfile and it works for me but i do not understand why memory is detected as 667..thought i had asere before and it worked. strange..but editing smbios.plist should resolve this. still don`t understand why memory was detected perfectly before i changed my boot file.. is it purely cosmetically?anyway everything is working just fine with my ati 4670. only dvi, no vga, hdmi not tested yet. the advantage of asere booter is now snow leo loads applelpc.kext. so i prefer using asere.

Maybe you should try Asere 1.1.9 or Netkas 10.6??

I'm not sure why you are having problems with the memory detection but that is purely cosmetic. Editing the smbios.plist should fix the problem.

Try compiling the 1.1.9 or Netkas 10.6, it is very easy, just follow what I posted above.

Good luck!

good to know that it is purely cosmetical, i edited smbios.plist..but then i tried to compile asere 1.1.9 but simply don´t know how. i downloaded the source and the folder is called aserebln-Chameleon-1493326. i replaced the lines in ati.c, opened my terminal, read what demik suggested but didn´t understand it well. can you help me? the folder is in root but what should i type in terminal? perhaps you can give me a quick guide if it´s not too much hassle. however thanks for helping with asere 1.1.8 so it´s not very urgent to me to have 1.1.9 but wanna know how i compile it myself. then i could switch bootfile from time to time.

thanks in advance

Did you install and update Xcode? What error are you specifically getting?

This is how I do it:

1) Download the Sources

2) Edit ati.c and change what ever needs to be changed. BTW, this is where I got the error. Check my post on chaning the line of the framebuffer.

3) Save ati.c and go back to the main folder of the sources

4) type 'make' or 'make embedtheme' - this depends on you.

I noticed before that I had errors when changing the line of framebuffer in ati.c - carefully look at my above post and copy it exactly as it is. If you are still having errors, don't even bother changing the framebuffer line. Just edit the line where you need to put Shrike > then save > then make embedtheme. In my case, changing or NOT changing the frambefuffer line (line 668 in demik guide) worked for me. The most important line that needs to be changed is the "Shrike".

BTW, whenever you are going to recompile/compile you should re-extract the asere sources package so it will be new. Don't use the extracted sources folder one you have used it already in compiling.

If you are still having problems, I could send you a compiled version.

Good luck.

For me :

221 { 0x10029490, "Motmot"} ,

Becomes :

221 { 0x10029490, "Shrike"} ,

Search the following line (line 668) :

Hi, as i understood you have attached bootloader patched only for device with id 1002:9490?

Could you, please attach bootloader patched for 1002:9488 (and maybe also for other 4xxx which need such fix)? I'm asking because i have no installed mac yet so i could not rebuild chameleon sources by myself .

Thanks in advice, i will be very grateful!

ok, it took a couple weekends but finally. SUCCESS!! clean install of SL with HD4670.

my specs:

DG33TL Mobo

Intel Core2Quad Q9550; 4Gigs RAM

Sapphire Radeon HD4670 512MB DDR4 PCI-e

lots of SATA HDs (using all 5 slots on board plus add in Syba Sil3132 PCIe-1 card with 2 more SATA slots)

SATA CD/DVD RW

Dual boot Windows 7 & SL 10.6.2, both 64bit

A couple things I had to do:

1. Disconnect all HD's except Mac HD prior to install; connect monitor via a DVI to VGA adapter (a requirement for ATI HD4670 to work in SL 10.6.2).

2. in order to install SL had to boot with -x (safe mode) at every reboot until the last (i.e. 10.6.2 combo update installed). 10.6.2 supports ATI HD4670, previous versions of Snow do not. video card was my biggest hassle.

3. AHCI in bios, GUID when formatting HD for SL install, per your spec. (However, I installed multiple partitions on the HD to which I installed SL with no issues.)

4. SL installed from retail DVD image no problems. Ethernet was working with vanilla kexts in 10.6 (but failed once updated to 10.6.2). use USB stick to boot until you install Chameleon to the Snow Leopard partition; per above, keep safe booting until 10.6.2 is fully installed (due to ATI 4670 video card)

5. Before updating to 10.6.2, install some, not all kexts. i kept getting kernel panics and hangs with Voodoo HDA (although it worked fine in the end), and since ethernet was working in 10.6, i left those two kexts out until the end, after 10.6.2 was up and running (i had downloaded the 10.6.2 combo update in advance.) install all the rest of the kexts in not4you2's extra file. i installed using kext utility instead of kext helper (google it you'll find it, SL 64 bit version available). Kext helper kept hanging. kext utility does more anyway. i installed each kext one by one to be safe. Reboot from USB stick, select Snow Leopard partition, type -x and hit enter (for video card)

7. STILL IN 10.6.0 (IE BEFORE UPDATING TO 10.6.2) Install Chameleon. for ATI 4670 video card, i had to replace Chameleon boot file with Netkas' PC_EFI 10.5 boot file. google it you'll find it. to replace boot file i used a little freeware tool called "show hidden files": launch the app and click "show, " replace boot file, then click "hide" again. cool little app.

8. STILL IN 10.6.0 (IE BEFORE UPDATING TO 10.6.2) And also for the video card, edit boot.plst to include graphic enabler=yes. (path to file is:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist; drag the file to your desktop, edit using text editor, then drag pack to where it came from and replace (or rename the old file to end in .old and then just drag and drop the new file). add the following lines to boot.plst:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

In theory Chameleon is supposed to take care of this but my card wouldn't work without this. seems to be a common problem. Fix permissions (just click on kext utility).

9. Install 10.6.2 (i had downloaded it to a usb stick and placed it on the desktop). reboot with -v to check if everything is ok

10. If necessary, edit video kexts (ATI4600.kext and ATIx2000.kext) to include device id (actually a combination of device id and vendor id. my device id was 0x9490 and vendor id was 0x1002. id in video kexts was 0x94901002. it was already present in 4600.kext and in x2000.kext, although in the latter i moved it to the front of the string.) get device and vendor id's from "about this mac" graphics tab or from windows device manager. to edit video kexts: navigate to /System/Library/Extensions, right click on kext, select "show contents," double click on info.plist file inside kext (edit with texteditor) and scroll around until use see the device id's, if your device id is not there, type it in and save.

11. install ethernet kext and audio kext using kext utility

12. Reboot and admire your beautiful screen, audio, and ethernet connection!

cheers

well this is the only radeon hd4670 post i can find out there so thanks so much looks like i might have a hackint0sh yet.

But i just have a problem i installed 10.6 and got the tick saying its done when i reboot i get the spinning loading sign with the apple logo and i think it boots but i cant see anything because the screen go's black and my monitor says no sig. so i'm guessing that i have a GPU problem.

So i'm just asking what should my next step be?

I'm not good with linux as i have just changed to it.

Try Booting insafe mode -x

It worked for me but here's the catch IT ONLY WORKED AFTER I UPDATED IT TO A Snow Leopard 10.6.2 using the latest from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3315703/PC-EFI%2010.6.zip

Today, netkas released PC-EFI 10.6. It is based on Chameleon RC3. According to his post:

New in this release:

* Support for desktop Radeons 4300/4500/4600 in GraphicsEnabler

* Added system-id fix, system doesn’t forget your keyboard settings anymore

* Added fix for lynnfield cpus

ATI Diamond HD4670 purchased at Fry's Electronics

using it on my buddies but will add changes later... it's working fine "Front Row" works and full video and acceleration.

Limited to only VGA for now, until i get time to hack it more.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the ati hd 4670 and 10.6.2 after the installation had no problem checking system settings I see appears as ati hd 4890 works 100%

am using ----> Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Client Server Intel AMD SSE2/SSE3 Hazard by an AMD / m2n sli / ATI HD 4670 1 GB / 4GB DDR Memory / 500GB SATA disk.

Installation

* Legacy_kernel_10.2.0

* AMD

* EVOenabler_Extra_Extension

* VoodooHDA_v2.5.3

* NforceATA

* nforceLAN

* LegacyAppleRTC

* IOATAFamily_Sata_Fix

the end of attempts to install this setup was functional

hope to help someone and sorry for my English ...

HUugm9943615-02.png