Dell Precision M6400 Tutorial (work in progress)

94 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am new to this forum, so first of all, I want to say hello to everybody. I was a totally noob in osx86 issues, and now reading your posts i'm a little bit wiser. ;)

So I have successfully installed a Osx 10.5.7 on a Dell Precission T3500 Workstation, Onchip audio is working, the graphic card (nvidia quadro) too. I had some issues scrolling but I solved it reading the forum.

But I can't make the Network Card Working. It's a LOM Broadcom BCM5761 (HWID is 14e4:1680)

I've read almost every topic about it in this forum, I've tried hex-editing BCM57xx drivers, installing the kext's ujen is attaching, but no luck, it's not recognized by the system in any way.

Could you shed me some light on it? I would appreciate any clue or hint to solve this issue.

hi

I also have Dell T3500,would you please tell me which distro you used and what how? please give me some advise,

thanks in advance,

m_morakot@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm now using iatkos s3 v2

check asere or chameleon 5 pre

(update later to Chameleon_2.0_RC5_INSTALLER_r643.zip and remember to selects genereate cstates and pstates)

uncheck any rtc patch option (you'll just patch your dtst after install)

check battery and cardreader under laptop hardware drivers

check voodoopowermini

check voodoops2

for video card works both

- nvenabler under drivers

- or graphic injection under bootloader options

(update) use the DSDT injection posted under this post

after a complete installation run the combo update to 10.6.7 you have previously downloaded. :) .

- for eth use modded bcm5701 bcm 5701

- for audio use hdaenabler & legacyapplehda kexts posted under this post (update!)

Still unresolved:

- shutdown-reboot (UPDATE see under this post..)

- intel 5100 wifi :(

- vanilla speedstep

- bluetooth :) (UPDATE see under this post..)

let me know better configurations

or solutions

OK.. some news here:

I've enabled the quadro fx 3700M via dsdt ..

you have to insert first DGTP method in your dsdt

# INSERT THESE LINES UNDER _WAK method:

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
{
	If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
			{
				/* 0000 */	0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
				/* 0008 */	0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
			}))
	{
		If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
		{
			If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
			{
				Store (Buffer (One)
					{
						0x03
					}, Arg4)
				Return (One)
			}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
			{
				Return (One)
			}
		}
	}

Store (Buffer (One)
		{
			0x00
		}, Arg4)
	Return (One)
}

and here's the code for the nvidia:

# HOW IS THE CODE BEFORE

Device (AGP)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
			Device (VID)
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				Method (_DOS, 1, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Arg0, MIS4)
					SMI (0x9E, MIS4)
				}

Method (_DOD, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					If (LEqual (MIS2, One))
					{
						Return (Package (0x06)
						{
							0x00010120, 
							0x00010110, 
							0x00010210, 
							0x00010220, 
							0x00010230, 
							0x00010240
						})
					}
					Else
					{
						Return (Package (0x06)
						{
							0x0100, 
							0x0110, 
							0x0111, 
							0x0112, 
							0x0113, 
							0x0114
						})
					}
				}

# THE CODE AFTER THE HACK

Device (AGP)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
			Device (VID)
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				Name (_SUN, One)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x1A)
						{
							"@0,built-in", 
							Buffer (One)
							{
								0x01
							}, 

"@0,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@0,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@0,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-A"
							}, 

"@1,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@1,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@0,display-cfg", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x03, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"@1,display-cfg", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x01
							}, 

"@1,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-B"
							}, 

"NVCAP", 
							Buffer (0x18)
							{
								/* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x31, 0x00, 
								/* 0008 */	0x0E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
								/* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
							}, 

"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x0D)
							{
								"NVDA,GeForce"
							}, 

"model", 
							Buffer (0x18)
							{
								"nVidia Quadro FX 3700M"
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}

as you see just replace the all the part that comes after: Device (VID)

as allways if you have anpther quadro like 2700m just change the lines under "VRAM,totalsize" (0x20 instead of 0x40 for 512mb) and "model" as well as the correct NVCAP for your board that you find using nvcapmaker and a copy of the rom of your board

Now you can install latest drivers and cuda for a full performance!

Drivers patched for bypassing hardware check: http://filebeam.com/ffd7a1f0b80638f13c28a5a3236b7a81

Cuda: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-3.2.17-driver.html

BUT

the news is I fixed antother couple of things:

1) for the sound just use hdaenabler and legacyapplehda kexts i attached in the

Sound_for_M6400.zip

and everythings works: mic/output/volume and mute from keyboard..

I've found it here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1284281

2) I think i've fixed the shutdown issues, yes the computer shut down and reboot

i'v followed the istruction found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&start=280 (in the middle of the first post under Shutdown FIX)

it's a thread about Dell's XPS and may be usefull for other fixes on our precision

don't know exactly if shutdown/reboot working depends only on this fix.. however i've uploaded

my DSDT dsdt.aml.zipand the other 2 kext i'm using that are different from the standard iatkos s3 v2 installfakeSMCkexts.zip

update: I've some problems with it.. I mean do not work anymore, I'm checking out..

And bluetooth:dell bluetooth

however when i'll have more time I'll post a iatkos s3 based guide in a new thread

P.S. what still is unsolved for me is:

- a vanilla speedstep (now i'm using voodoopstates.kext, no time to work on the DSDT)

- wifi intel 5100 (but i think i better buy a osx frindly wifi card..)

Thanks for all the hard work fegato. I have been able to follow your advice and now have OS X running pretty smoothly on my machine. I have namely one question for you though.

Right now, is there any way to get sleep mode to work effectively on an m6400? This includes closing the lid to do so. I tried the DSDT injection method that was linked in your post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&start=280 under "Clamshell Fix" to get sleep mode to work from closing the lid. It seems like it goes to sleep now after both closing the lid and choosing "Sleep" from the menu (I can still hear the fans running though), but never wakes up after pressing the power button.

Other than that, everything else seems to be working - and like you said, who really cares about Bluetooth?

Right now, is there any way to get sleep mode to work effectively on an m6400? This includes closing the lid to do so. I tried the DSDT injection method that was linked in your post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&start=280 under "Clamshell Fix" to get sleep mode to work from closing the lid. It seems like it goes to sleep now after both closing the lid and choosing "Sleep" from the menu (I can still hear the fans running though), but never wakes up after pressing the power button.

Other than that, everything else seems to be working - and like you said, who really cares about Bluetooth?

ok now we have also bluetooth.. berserk84 found a fix: DellBluetoothHCI.1.2.pkg.zip (ahah!)

about the sleep i've your same problem, the sleep in which the m6400 fall if we close the lid it's too deep.. :)

i think i'ts related with the processor correct speedstepping. i think you have to look in the thread clamshell fix to see if we can get similar solution. also you can search post from an user i read around insanelymac (can't remember his nick) who made some fixes for an m4400. maybe..

however i found that the latest chameleon 2 rc5 generates pstates and cstates http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

but i'm still learning how to make them work..

ok now we have also bluetooth.. berserk84 found a fix: DellBluetoothHCI.1.2.pkg.zip (ahah!)

about the sleep i've your same problem, the sleep in which the m6400 fall if we close the lid it's too deep.. :(

i think i'ts related with the processor correct speedstepping. i think you have to look in the thread clamshell fix to see if we can get similar solution. also you can search post from an user i read around insanelymac (can't remember his nick) who made some fixes for an m4400. maybe..

however i found that the latest chameleon 2 rc5 generates pstates and cstates http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

but i'm still learning how to make them work..

Thanks for that kext link. It did the job nicely. It seems that my ehternet port has not been working for some odd reason though. I did some checking and it is in fact based off of the Broadcom 5761 chipset (1680). So it should be the same exact as yours but for some reason the modified kext from ujen doesn't seem to work.

I've actually been using the RC5 bootloader. I think the only difference between our setups right now is that I set the iATKOS installation up on a software RAID0 using the disk utility. The link about pstates and cstates is interesting, but a bit beyond my knowledge level right now seeing as how I just switched from Windows to OS X two days ago. Other than that, this thread has been very helpful in getting everything up and running for me. I've had no prior experience with any Mac OS before and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far.

Keep me posted if you find out anything interesting! I'll keep reading more about the power management features in the new bootloader, but I don't know if I can be of much help right now. I'll keep looking for a sleep fix and if I find anything I'll be sure and post it here right away.

Oh for the ethernet try put in and pull our the ethernet plug while you are in the network settings panel.

Don't think raid0 influence.

It's really strange, but I'm getting this message when I start up in verbose mode:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 1680 getAdapterInfo - Device is unknown

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

I'm also running 10.6.4. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know, 10.6.5 breaks the sound kext method that fegato posted previously. The only thing I've found that works for the sound so far is the VoodooHDA 2.7.2 kext. The only problem with this is that the system volume controls don't work - they're stuck permanently on max. There are no problems lowering the sound from an application though. Other than that, 10.6.5 seems relatively safe to upgrade to.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their great contributions, this thread (and site) is awesome!

Has anybody figured out this sleep issue?? I cant even turn off properly or restart.

I've had a good bit of success with Snow Leopard Retail DVD + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], helped by tips from this thread such as VoodoHDA after 10.6.5. Volume controls dont work, but i can live with that.

Camera works, Wireless works, Graphics seem to be working full res and nice n smooth.

I've got m6400 with Dell Wireless and FX 2700M.

Any help sleeping would be greatly appreciated because I'm so nearly there!!

cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I've managed to get my Dell Precision M6400 almost fully working, thanks mainly in part to this tread!

I used iATKOS S3 Version 2 to install Snow Leopard with minimal options selected, I cannot remember everything but here's a quick recap: Choose AHCI for your SATA controller, UNCHECK the legacy RTC / ElliotForceLegacy fix (will cause kernel panic), do NOT choose any graphics or sound drivers, Use the VoodooPS2 package instead of the ApplePS2 one (this will enable the touchpad / 2 finger scrolling, where the other is without it), Leave the bootloader as the default (or change to Chameleon if you like, will install RC5 later) and I believe that is it. I also formatted the disk as MBR.

After install, you can update to 10.6.7 if you prefer (backup extensions in case something breaks), and also install Chameleon RC5 (r828 as of this writing) from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

You will need to install a theme in the /Extra folder after if you prefer.

I then chose to use the DSDT from this thread (post #79 - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&id=78304) since he had the exact same build as my machine and generating one kept giving me errors (however I will be decompiling his or try to generate my own later) but for now this enabled full resolution / QE for the NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700.

You can also choose to add "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" to the com.apple.Boot.plist file under /Extra after installing Chameleon (you may need to create this file, google is your friend here) instead of using this DSDT.

I decided to stick with the modified VoodooHDA.kext from post #72 of this thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=71198) since it was working perfect with the volume controls of the IDT HD Codec.

For the bluetooth, I used the package found under post #81 of this thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=78654)

Then, to fix the restart and shutdown issue I installed OSXRestart.kext v1.5c under /S/L/E, which can be found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199048 --- YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE BOTH "evOreboot.kext" and "OpenHaltRestart.kext" if they are previously installed, check both /S/L/E and /Extra.

Note that I also chose to install the 64bit SL version of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (can be found here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/) and it may not be affecting anything however I've always gotten into the habit of installing it on all my Hackintosh setups.

Finally, the only issues I have remaining right now are with my wireless card (Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN) but I'm most likely going to order a replacement for this card off eBay rather than waiting 20+ years for a kext to be written for it. Also, sleep isn't working, but this is a common problem for almost every hackintosh I've ever done. Hopefully some tinkering with the DSDT or more searching might resolve this, but it's something I can live with for now.

I also had issues with Chameleon complaining about the sleepimage file, so I am probably going to disable hibernation by running the following command from the terminal: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 and deleted the sleepimage file under /var/vm.

I will post back with further advancements and updates as I make progress.

A huge thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread; You made this install so much easier and less time consuming then it should have been!

• 2 years later...