Dell Precision M6400 Tutorial (work in progress)

94 posts in this topic

I got my m6400 working on 10.6.0.

Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T9600, 2800 MHz (10.5 x 267)

Moederbord Chipset: Intel Eaglelake Q43/Q45

Nvidia Quadro FX 2700M: WORKING (FAST 1920x1200)

Soundcard IDT 92HD71B7 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-2]: WORKING (without volume control)

Broadcom 5761: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller: WORKING (with failure notice, but working)

INTEL® Wifi 5300AGN: NOT WORKING

no battery indicator, no sleep, no normal restart shut down

WHEN UPDATING TO 10.6.1 i get kernel panic....

;)

I installed SnowOSX_Universal_10.6_v3.5_pc_distro direct from DVD. Select the PS2drivers from menu for keyboard and touchpad.

Used the NVinject.kext (from "ATools_Snow" automatically installed in applications folder with distro) for video and (update:) VoodooHDA.kext (installed with distro) for sound. For ethernet i used AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext from this post.

Update: Now i added a ethernet controller with EFIStudio (included with distro). Don't know exactly wat it did, but the driver works better now. Hopefully it lasts... No more errors about the driver.

I installed on a external USB drive. It's very quick and very snow leopard :(

I still use Windows7 on my M6400 now, because Final Cut Studio Crashes and the wireless isn't working yet. I'm glad i can use my Nahelem 8core 2.66 MacPro for my videoproductions instead ;)

Update: Final Cut Studio starts to run better... :)

Don't install Pro application support if you run Final cut studio 3 ILLEGALLY. It asks for new serial... I happily have an LEGIT version upgrade for only 250 euro..

Managed to install 10.6.1 manually.

UPDATED POST 24 OKT..

Did you copy the right kext into the Extentions dir? Try one at the time... My install worked the first time in low res(standard vga)

I am not a unix guru but you can try this:

To see whats wrong during boot (-v verbose) and to force reload drivers (-f) type before boot:

-f -v

Or boot in single user mode:

-s

Did you copy the right kext into the Extentions dir? Try one at the time... My install worked the first time in low res(standard vga)

I am not a unix guru but you can try this:

To see whats wrong during boot (-v verbose) and to force reload drivers (-f) type before boot:

-f -v

Or boot in single user mode:

-s

i already tried all of this, the problem is after i boot into snow, which is fine, but after about 30seconds it gives me kernel panic.. i think i'll pass on this and keep my 10.5.7 for now

if i install from dvd adding just the ps2 check i have a snow leopard that i can boot into and then gives me kernel panic after 30sec, i don't even have time to install kexts, and in the extensions folder there are no ethernet kexts, so there must be something you do that i'm not doing... i mean if you install as i did and boot into snow without touching anything does it give you kernel panic? also MBR or GUID?

thanks

I did not get kernel panic after my installs. I installed twice yesterday on MBR before on GUID. Both no problem.

What is your configuration?

Did you try safe mode also?

Maybe you can try to remove kext one after the other within the darwin kernel with this command: rm -rf XXXXX.kext/

I only used the kext: NVinject (video) and VoodooHDA (sound) from the ATools dir in the applications folder. If you have the same audio card it should work. When this doesn't work you can try the VoodooHDA 0.2.1 or 0.2.2 (find it with google).

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I just installed Snow Leopard on this box and all I have to say is WOW!!!! Mostly everything has worked right out of the box. I used a 10.6.2 image HOWEVER I did go out and purchase 10.6 retail copy.

First I had to change from RAID to ACHI in Bios. Leaving it on RAID didnt work for me.

After install from the 10.6.2 image my keyboard, mouse, video etc etc didn't work. I could see by no track pad and no keyboard so I pulled out a USB keyboard and mouse which worked. Actually the only thing that did work was wireless :unsure: so what I did after install was complete.

Ok, so now I inserted the D620SLv1.ISO burnt CD I was using (I was trying the other laptop to no avail). Swapped the DISC to the Retail SL DISC and it booted into the interface!! WOW what a beautiful screen. So now I ejected retail and inserted D620SLv1 CD back in, I browsed it and executed the post install command file. It asked me to install Chameleon V3 with all the goodies and that is it. I'm done!!! This thing ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Ok the only issue now is reboot doesn't work correctly nor does waking up from sleep. So any guidance?? Also my wifi light doesn't stay on but wifi is working.

I'm sure there are easier ways to install, but I have found a way and I'm sticking to it.

My system config (I'm lazy so I ripped from Dell)

Quantity Parts # Part Description

Processor, P8700, 2.53, 3MB, Core Penryn, 25W, R0M6400

Assembly, Microphone, ARRAY Liteon, M09

Dual In-Line Memory Module, 2GB1067MHZ, 256X64, 8K, 200

Assembly, Dvd+/-rw, 8, Serial Ata, M6400, HLD

Hard Drive, 320GB, Free Fall Sensor, 7.2K, 2.5, WD-MX160S, M6400

Liquid Crystal Display, 17WUXGARed/green/blue, Light Emitting Diode, AG, LGP

Battery, Primary, 85WHR, 9 Lithium, Dynapack InternationalTechnology Corp, Slide

Bezel, Liquid Crystal Display W/MCPHN, M6400

Card, Wireless, Half Mini-card, DW1510, 4322

Assembly, Card, Graphics, Nvidia G94

You'll forgive me if I don't test the Free Fall Sensor

• 3 months later...
I just installed Snow Leopard on this box and all I have to say is WOW!!!! Mostly everything has worked right out of the box. I used a 10.6.2 image HOWEVER I did go out and purchase 10.6 retail copy.

First I had to change from RAID to ACHI in Bios. Leaving it on RAID didnt work for me.

After install from the 10.6.2 image my keyboard, mouse, video etc etc didn't work. I could see by no track pad and no keyboard so I pulled out a USB keyboard and mouse which worked. Actually the only thing that did work was wireless :D so what I did after install was complete.

Ok, so now I inserted the D620SLv1.ISO burnt CD I was using (I was trying the other laptop to no avail). Swapped the DISC to the Retail SL DISC and it booted into the interface!! WOW what a beautiful screen. So now I ejected retail and inserted D620SLv1 CD back in, I browsed it and executed the post install command file. It asked me to install Chameleon V3 with all the goodies and that is it. I'm done!!! This thing ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Ok the only issue now is reboot doesn't work correctly nor does waking up from sleep. So any guidance?? Also my wifi light doesn't stay on but wifi is working.

I'm sure there are easier ways to install, but I have found a way and I'm sticking to it.

My system config (I'm lazy so I ripped from Dell)

Quantity Parts # Part Description

Processor, P8700, 2.53, 3MB, Core Penryn, 25W, R0M6400

Assembly, Microphone, ARRAY Liteon, M09

Dual In-Line Memory Module, 2GB1067MHZ, 256X64, 8K, 200

Assembly, Dvd+/-rw, 8, Serial Ata, M6400, HLD

Hard Drive, 320GB, Free Fall Sensor, 7.2K, 2.5, WD-MX160S, M6400

Liquid Crystal Display, 17WUXGARed/green/blue, Light Emitting Diode, AG, LGP

Battery, Primary, 85WHR, 9 Lithium, Dynapack InternationalTechnology Corp, Slide

Bezel, Liquid Crystal Display W/MCPHN, M6400

Card, Wireless, Half Mini-card, DW1510, 4322

Assembly, Card, Graphics, Nvidia G94

You'll forgive me if I don't test the Free Fall Sensor

I have the Nvidia Quadro 3700M - not sure is that is the G92 or G94 - card. 1gig memory. In Dual booting it I can get it to recognize the 1GIG and Unknown Nvidia graphics display but I cannot get preview to work. Any ideas on how you go yours to work? I use Xee to preview but I would like for it to just work to know its correct.

I don't use it much but I do like to fire it up and would like for it to just work. :D

I know its an old thread but not too much activity on it since the Precision is not exactly a common machine.

• 4 weeks later...

OK. I managed to install snow leopard 10.6.2 using

SnowOSXUniFlash 1.0

it's a usb image you have to restore on a usb key:

you can put additional kext in predefined folders inside

so testing of build a customized usb install key it's fast and pretty easy

now for me do not work:

- ethernet Broadcom 57xx (that worked before on leopard 10.5.8 with a kext and a manual terminal string)

- wifi intel 5100 (waiting for news here: http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/pos...roject-camphor)

what somehow works:

works the nvidia quadro fx 3700m using nvenabler (full res and quartz)

works the idt audio but with voodoohda included in the usbimage(so not working volume control on keyboard or in the bar)

If someone make some progress or want to help thanks.

oh by the way follow this new thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186021

OK. I managed to install snow leopard 10.6.2 using

SnowOSXUniFlash 1.0

it's a usb image you have to restore on a usb key:

you can put additional kext in predefined folders inside

so testing of build a customized usb install key it's fast and pretty easy

now for me do not work:

- ethernet Broadcom 57xx (that worked before on leopard 10.5.8 with a kext and a manual terminal string)

- wifi intel 5100 (waiting for news here: http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/pos...roject-camphor)

what somehow works:

works the nvidia quadro fx 3700m using nvenabler (full res and quartz)

works the idt audio but with voodoohda included in the usbimage(so not working volume control on keyboard or in the bar)

If someone make some progress or want to help thanks.

oh by the way follow this new thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186021

how about buying a pci wifi card? would it work? any suggestions?

how about buying a pci wifi card? would it work? any suggestions?

I think should work, but I'm a bit confused on wich one buy.. maybe an atheros? don't know..

I'm also searching for a better solution for the IDT audio issue..

• 3 weeks later...

ok, now I'm trying again with a usb with empire efi and snow 10.6.3 retail. I will tell you the results.

update: can't boot using empire efi

update 2: tried with myhack boot but stuck on preparing installation

Just wanna say keep up the good work! I (and presumably many others) are definitely keeping an eye on this thread and appreciate all that you're doing and posting =)

I am now working on enabling the quadro via DSDT to solve the shutdown/reboot issue,

I've 2 NVCAP but something goes wrong

If someone know how to manage correctly a compiled DSDT.aml any advice is welcome

• 1 month later...
SOME GREAT NEWS FOR M6400 USERS, I HAVE FINALY GOTTEN THE BROADCOM NIC WORKING.

1. make sure your dev id is 14e4 1680.

2. install attached kext with osx86 tools or whatever way you like and reboot.

3. you should now have the ethernet recognized but no internet and a MAC address of all 00's.

4. in windows look up your MAC address and copy it somewhere.

5. in leopard open a terminal and type: sudo ifconfig en0 (it maybe en1 or en2 or en etc.) ether 00:21:70:8A:70:E2 but replace 00:21:70:8A:70:E2 with your MAC address

6. your internet should now connect and be fully working.

you will need to do the command at every startup so just make a script and add it to startup items

I'm currently working on getting it to work in snow leopard and want to know if anyone has the sources for either bcm57xx kexts, that would be most helpful.

if you'd like to help out in the snow leo effort just let me know

Hi!

I am new to this forum, so first of all, I want to say hello to everybody. I was a totally noob in osx86 issues, and now reading your posts i'm a little bit wiser. ^_^

So I have successfully installed a Osx 10.5.7 on a Dell Precission T3500 Workstation, Onchip audio is working, the graphic card (nvidia quadro) too. I had some issues scrolling but I solved it reading the forum.

But I can't make the Network Card Working. It's a LOM Broadcom BCM5761 (HWID is 14e4:1680)

I've read almost every topic about it in this forum, I've tried hex-editing BCM57xx drivers, installing the kext's ujen is attaching, but no luck, it's not recognized by the system in any way.

Could you shed me some light on it? I would appreciate any clue or hint to solve this issue.