Dell Precision M6400 Tutorial (work in progress)

94 posts in this topic

nevermind, everything works great, trackpad, lan, graphics, updated to 10.5.8, cpu correctly shown at 2,8ghz... so, WOW

ravez, excellent. Hey, any chance you can send me a link to your IONetwork.kext and the relevant AppleBCM*.kext? The only thing not working for me is the wired ethernet.

Much appreciated.

-eric

follow ujen instructions and it will work

when i try to install chame 2 rc2 and select graphic enabler installation gives error on "standard script" then I remove nvkush and when I reboot chame it's updated but i get only low res..

maybe I have to wait for a modded snowleopard iso?

when i try to install chame 2 rc2 and select graphic enabler installation gives error on "standard script" then I remove nvkush and when I reboot chame it's updated but i get only low res..

maybe I have to wait for a modded snowleopard iso?

i was talking about lan issues, anyway for the graphics i'm using nvkush and cham 1, works perfectly but it shows 256mb of ram for my quadro instead of 512. for 3d softwares i'm still on win 7

i was talking about lan issues, anyway for the graphics i'm using nvkush and cham 1, works perfectly but it shows 256mb of ram for my quadro instead of 512. for 3d softwares i'm still on win 7

ah ok thanks. My sys works too then with cham 2rc2 and nvkush but like your it shows 256 instead of 1gb (3700m) i'm keeping my jobs still on 7.. (by the way I suggest you tiny7 rev01)

oh hey did happen to you also that when upgrade osx it destroy mbr, or however nothing boot anymore but the partitions are still there?

oh by the way, with cham 1 the pc restarts correctly or it hangs on power on after shutting down tthe system? and ho do you do a script to automatically set mac ad for the netboard on startup?

many thanks

PS: this may be intresting (found installing updated nvkush): if you need to have your VRAM modified to be higher than 256MB:

visit: http://diabolik1605.com/plister and use the NVkush Info.plist generator

ah ok thanks. My sys works too then with cham 2rc2 and nvkush but like your it shows 256 instead of 1gb (3700m) i'm keeping my jobs still on 7.. (by the way I suggest you tiny7 rev01)

oh hey did happen to you also that when upgrade osx it destroy mbr, or however nothing boot anymore but the partitions are still there?

i updated to 10.5.8 with software updated and my mbr is working fine... i don't know about this problem... i'm wondering if there's a way to get the middle button to work on the trackpad though, having the 2 fingers scrolling is awesome btw

i updated to 10.5.8 with software updated and my mbr is working fine... i don't know about this problem... i'm wondering if there's a way to get the middle button to work on the trackpad though, having the 2 fingers scrolling is awesome btw

ok here's how to get the 512 vRam for your nvidia:

go to /System/Library/Extensions/NVkush.kext/Contents/

open Info.plist with a text editor (i used notepad from windows but i think will work also with X's text editor)

now add the following string:

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data>

AAAAIA==

</data>

right before this string:

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>

that is on the bottom

reboot..

HEY!

otherwise the string for 1gb vRam is:

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data>

AAAAQA==

</data>

i extracted this from the file generated here http://diabolik1605.com/plister/

that for me didn't work using it whole..

(ps: why you switch to cham 1? there's something I don't know?)

ok here's how to get the 512 vRam for your nvidia:

go to /System/Library/Extensions/NVkush.kext/Contents/

open Info.plist with a text editor (i used notepad from windows but i think will work also with X's text editor)

now add the following string:

right before this string:

that is on the bottom

reboot..

HEY!

otherwise the string for 1gb vRam is:

i extracted this from the file generated here http://diabolik1605.com/plister/

that for me didn't work using it whole..

(ps: why you switch to cham 1? there's something I don't know?)

editing the Info.plist gets me back to 1024x768 and 32mb ram with no QE/CI, i always have to reinstall nvkush to go back to full working graphics, even if just 256mb instead of 512mb as i wanted. for the lan as i said earlier just follow ujen instructions posted earlier on this thread.

i'm using cham 1 cause when i tried using the 2 i got low freq on cpu instead of 2.8ghz, cham 1 is just fine and working perfectly. restart doesn't work anyway, i still have to power off after restart and afaik is related to nvkush rather than cham

editing the Info.plist gets me back to 1024x768 and 32mb ram with no QE/CI, i always have to reinstall nvkush to go back to full working graphics, even if just 256mb instead of 512mb as i wanted. for the lan as i said earlier just follow ujen instructions posted earlier on this thread.

i'm using cham 1 cause when i tried using the 2 i got low freq on cpu instead of 2.8ghz, cham 1 is just fine and working perfectly. restart doesn't work anyway, i still have to power off after restart and afaik is related to nvkush rather than cham

now I've re-installed iAtkos 7 but now with cham1 and NOT Nvkush then I installed Cham2rev2 with graphic enabler: right CPU right vRam QE/CI hi-res

(remember to go to monitor/color/AdobeRGB for better Colors)

post-328200-1251976935_thumb.png

now I've re-installed iAtkos 7 but now with cham1 and NOT Nvkush then I installed Cham2rev2 with graphic enabler: right CPU right vRam QE/CI hi-res

(remember to go to monitor/color/AdobeRGB for better Colors)

ok, reinstalled everything, if i use cham 2 i see 1.69ghz, if i use cham 1 it goes back to 2.8ghz, so i stick to that... using nvinject enabler gives me full graphics with finally 512mb... so my system is just fine like this. i'd only like to be able to mute and use volume, which doesn't affect the audio using the voodooHDA, any ideas?

for the colors i have a hardware calibrator so i use that and colors are just perfect, best laptop monitor i ever seen :) if you don't use a calibrator everything looks bluish

Hi, I finaly installed iAtkos v7 on my m6400, I get full screen resolution, Quartz GL, audio, network, But i have some litle problems..

1, I have 2 Gb ddr3 1066 mhz RAM but in the "about this mac" appear 2 Gb DDR2 667mhz.. ???

2, Can´t Activate Quartz Extreme, I have the Quadro FX 2700m 512ddr3..

I make a clean install, with no driver select, with vanilla kernel, then in osx installed the driver with pacifist

Some help please...

sorry if my english is bad ..Thanks

Hi, I finaly installed iAtkos v7 on my m6400, I get full screen resolution, Quartz GL, audio, network, But i have some litle problems..

1, I have 2 Gb ddr3 1066 mhz RAM but in the "about this mac" appear 2 Gb DDR2 667mhz.. ???

2, Can´t Activate Quartz Extreme, I have the Quadro FX 2700m 512ddr3..

I make a clean install, with no driver select, with vanilla kernel, then in osx installed the driver with pacifist

Some help please...

sorry if my english is bad ..Thanks

do not use cham2 you have to use cham1 with nvinject that are on iAtkos dvd and do not use voodoo power and speedstep if you want correct mhz.. to activate quartz extreme use osx86tools.. THEN other drivers on the DVD that works are - laptop battery, - cardbus (fully working) and - voodooHDA (works everything but manual volume control on the keyboard will be not effective).

nvinject, by now, cause a shutdown/restart/sleep issue and so don't worry: you'll have to manually shutdown.

that's te situation

do not use cham2 you have to use cham1 with nvinject that are on iAtkos dvd and do not use voodoo power and speedstep if you want correct mhz.. to activate quartz extreme use osx86tools.. THEN other drivers on the DVD that works are - laptop battery, - cardbus (fully working) and - voodooHDA (works everything but manual volume control on the keyboard will be not effective).

nvinject, by now, cause a shutdown/restart/sleep issue and so don't worry: you'll have to manually shutdown.

that's te situation

Ok thanks.. but I have to reinstall everything??, or there is a way to install cham1 without format.??

Ok thanks.. but I have to reinstall everything??, or there is a way to install cham1 without format.??

use the iAtkos v7 DVD.

boot it then go to tools / disk utility, check property of your leopard system partition

there take note of the number of disk and partition - ie: disk0s2.

then close d.u. and go in tools / install chameleon.

you'll be asked for number of disk and of partition. follow the instructions..

to install drivers do like a normal install but deselect everithing (specially -iatkos and -postinstall) and select only drivers needed..

use the iAtkos v7 DVD.

boot it then go to tools / disk utility, check property of your leopard system partition

there take note of the number of disk and partition - ie: disk0s2.

then close d.u. and go in tools / install chameleon.

you'll be asked for number of disk and of partition. follow the instructions..

to install drivers do like a normal install but deselect everithing (specially -iatkos and -postinstall) and select only drivers needed..

MM.. there is no way for me to get into Osx without using cham2. When i using Cham 1 i get a kernel panic, or the classic "com.apple.boot.plist Not Found". And with the other Bootloader get a kernel panic to. Only work cham 2 for me..

I reinstall everytihing in this Order.

1. Iatkos v7 with, Cham1, Vanilla Kernel, SMBios Efi Air, VoodooPS2, VoodooHDA.  All ok

2. After Install, with osx86tool install Nvinject 0.2.1 and enabled Quartz GL.  Reboot. All ok.

3. After Reboot Go to About this Mac and i get  Quartz Extreme Not Suported.    DAMM!!!!!

I Try the same order but change Nvinject for nvKush,  and Quartz Extreme Not Suported

Is this install order Good??  Or there is another order for install..??.   Do i have to select SMbios Efi air??...

Please a litle help here.  I almost Get it.

My machine.  M6400, Core 2 Duo 2.26, 4gb ram ddr3, Quadro FX 2700m 512 vram

No. SMBios Efi Air? no.. i don't use that that.. and everithing it's ok.

PS: but I'm using Apple Ps2. do you get keyboard trackpad working with two finger with voodoo ps2?

When i install iatkos v7 and no select a smbios patch in customize, in About this mac i get a error, for that i select the Smbios efi.

No trackpad with two finger with voodoops2. y try with apple ps2

When i install iatkos v7 and no select a smbios patch in customize, in About this mac i get a error, for that i select the Smbios efi.

No trackpad with two finger with voodoops2. y try with apple ps2

yes

on mine to have correct about mac i've updated to 10.5.8

but i have a qx9300

you guys are great! i have finally my osx working on my m6400, with full QE/CI and resolution, audio is working, lan is working thanks to ujen instructions. for the graphics i simply chose nvkush during installation and it's working. now i'd like to have wifi, but can live with lan only for a while. also it would be nice to have a full support for the touchpad, like dragging on the right side to scroll pages as i do in windows. anyway thank you all guys :)

Hey Wath you do for get QE/CI, I have the same Video Card of you "Quadro FX 2700m 512" But still getting Quartz extreme not suported. Could you describe the process of you installation please.. I almost Get it.. Up there is a entry with the order there i follow to install Iatkos v7..

Help please...

• 2 weeks later...

hey, to make it work just use the NVenabler option among thje VGA drivers in the installation process and it will work.

i have great news for the internal audio full support with keyboard control for volume and muting, just use this driver instead of the one that comes with the DVD:

IDT.pkg.zip

hey, to make it work just use the NVenabler option among thje VGA drivers in the installation process and it will work.

i have great news for the internal audio full support with keyboard control for volume and muting, just use this driver instead of the one that comes with the DVD:

Thankyou so much!!!

actually I'm working on shutdown/sleep/restart issue, helped by a friend and some kext.

and by the way i found this CoreVidia for the nvidia http://mac-inul.com/viewtopic.php?t=732 and I'm testing it as they seems newer than nvinject and better supporting quadro..

(however to use it you have to manually insert your device id in kext's plist maybe i'll post out later how or make a patched version)

hey cham 2 rc3 it's out. maybe the wrong cpu freq problem is gone?