[GUIDE] DELL XPS M1210 + OSx86 (iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6) Post Install

joshms83

61 posts in this topic

Haha weird. My 1390 came intoday too. Flawless in Leo, idk about snowleo yet. I can't get the GFX kext working anymore. I don't know what I need to do. I tried like every combo

am sure there is a way somehow.. hehe.

good job on the attempts.

• 3 weeks later...
Great guide! Now, what if we have the Intel 945GM GPU?

I would follow this guide if I had a sure-fire way to get the Intel GPU working correctly.

Hi all,

First post, thought I'd let you know my solution to get the 945gm working, QE/CI and quartz gl all supported.

I'm working on my brother's (he's just started a film college and got editing software at student rate) T7200 xps m1210, 4GB ddr2 sdram 667mhz, 945GM graphics on board. I replaced the original 5400rpm HDD with a 250GB 7200rpm sata HDD.

My focus here is to get the graphics, sound and osx working perfectly for video editing. I'm not worried about getting all onboard devices working, or running software update.

First I installed IATKOS v7, making best guess at what drivers to install. I chose the intel efi string driver and the gma 950 laptop driver.Video card was not detected correctly QE/CI not supported and the only resolution available 1024x768. No drivers for the onboard logitech quickcam, but everything else appeared to work well, massive kudos to the people behind IATKOS for that.

I knew nothing about macs btw (I know slightly more than nothing now) so I was trying to install various kexts with kext helper, then rebooting.

After much (much) rebooting, reinstalling etc, I installed the gma 950a kext alone from the IATKOS v5 installation disc (as recommended by a forum post-thanks). This installed 1280x800 resolution support, but no QE/CI. Then installing all the kexts from the intel.working.zip using kext helper and rebooting gave full QE/CI support.

Only problem was all video playback and streaming was extremely jerky and slow. I had run osx software update before I installed the video kexts and apparently the jerky video issue is a recognised issue with the latest osx update and this intel 945GM/950 card.see here http://netkas.org/?p=243

Next I tried a fresh install of IATKOS v5, but it didn't install smoothly and wouldn't boot, I probably chose then wrong kexts at install.

I then tried iPC OSx86 10.5.6 universal ppf5 final. During install I used the guide in the first post as reference and installed the macbook ddr2 bios and just the basics, no sound or mouse/keyboard drivers. It installed fine and I got the full quartz extreme animation on first boot, for the first time. Joy.

Rebooted, then installed the voodoo sound and mouse/trackpad drivers from the IATKOS v7 cd. Rebooted, then enabled quartz gl using osxtools.

Now have full video functionality for video editing it seems. Card detected as a GMA 950 dev id 0x27a2. Onboard bluetooth, usb, firewire, trackpad, ethernet all working. I haven't got drivers for the onboard logitech quickcam or wireless yet.

That took me a week of agony and ecstasy :P .

Massive respect to the people behind iPC and IATKOS distros, and great guide OP. This guide and several others helped me get the 945GM fully installed.

Ridiculously long post ftw, hope it helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

This is probably my second post on this site. :D I've never really had any problems with my OS after following the guide at the beginning. I have since then upgraded to 10.5.6 and now recently to 10.5.8. I never had a problem with the 10.5.6 upgrade nor did I have to enter any safe mode to reinstall drivers.

10.5.8 however is a different story. After making the upgrade, rebooted back into OS X to find my sound was not working working and the touchpad and keyboard do not work on the M1210. I didn't know that at the time as I was using a USB keyboard/mouse setup. I've re-patched the audio with AppleHDAPatcher and successfully brought my sound back. The keyboard and touchpad however, I have no clue what to do.

Also, does anyone know of a later video driver setup? I tried a dvd the other day and it caused all the menus to go a scratchy green; very difficult to find the restart button thereafter. :P I'm currently using the NVinjectGo setup provided at the beginning of this thread.

Thanks in advance and I'll chime it if I figure anything out on my end.

Cheers,

duff

Hi folks,

here's my storie.

Have ideneb with all the patches running correctly.

for multi-touch touchpad i installed and hence suggest VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.

For what kernel to use,

I can either have sleep work fine but no USB ( with the kernel in the M1210.IMG from this thread )

or the original one which has USB fine, but failes at the moment you plug any USB device after wake from sleep.

From my linux experience, switch on/off USB devices and USB hubs has always been an issue when going to sleep.

Maybe someone has a modified kernel to try?

THX

Alexinthesky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Hi folks,

here's my storie.

Have ideneb with all the patches running correctly.

for multi-touch touchpad i installed and hence suggest VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.

For what kernel to use,

I can either have sleep work fine but no USB ( with the kernel in the M1210.IMG from this thread )

or the original one which has USB fine, but failes at the moment you plug any USB device after wake from sleep.

From my linux experience, switch on/off USB devices and USB hubs has always been an issue when going to sleep.

Maybe someone has a modified kernel to try?

THX

Alexinthesky

This is a GREAT guide. I would recommend the OP to update the guide to include the VoodooPS2 controller from this post it works very well.

Update: I have a problem with the VoodooPS2 controller after I enable the two cores. IF I install the above VoodooPS2 kext after enabling the two cores, I get constant kernel panics..

• 2 weeks later...