VMWare pcwiz 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 - some annoyances

48 posts in this topic

Yes, those are the correct commands I was thinking of.

The script you have to change Dont Steal etc. to dsmos.kext is this one:

sudo -s

nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Do a search for Dont (no apostrophe).

In order to boot with guestOS = darwin-64, you'll need to mount darwin.iso from Fusion... a non-hacked darwin.iso needs the ServerVersion.plist and the hacked version won't.

10.5.6 won't boot unless guestOS is darwin64, at least it wouldn't for me.

Thanks dude got it working, I owe ya :)

Installed VMware Fusion v2.0.2.146107

Entered following into Terminal

sudo bash
cd "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages"
mkdir original
mv darwin.iso tools-key.pub *.sig original
perl -n -p -e 's/ServerVersion.plist/SystemVersion.plist/g' < original/darwin.iso > darwin.iso
openssl genrsa -out tools-priv.pem 2048
openssl rsa -in tools-priv.pem -pubout -out tools-key.pub
openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < darwin.iso > darwin.iso.sig
for A in *.iso; do openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < $A > $A.sig; done
exit

Copied modified darwin.iso to SMB share, loaded ISO in VMware Workstation, and only had to change guestOS = "darwin-64" in the VMX file to get it to load OSX.

Now my mouse and keyboard don't work at all though

I used "-x -s -f -v" to boot and could not type "exit" in.

HOST has a USB keyboard and mouse.

[EDIT] Installing VMware Tools immediately after 10.5.6 Update by killing installer process did not help.

[EDIT] I do notice in the VMware boot screen that it says mouse is initialized.

[EDIT] Method also works with VMware Fusion v2.0.2.147997

[EDIT] Boot132.iso seems to work just as well for subsequent start ups.

Ah I should have searched the VMX, I overlooked and had usb.present = "FALSE"

Changing to the following got it working immediately!

virtualHW.version = "7"
usb.present = "TRUE"
USB:0.deviceType = "mouse"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
USB:1.deviceType = "keyboard"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"

I have a problem: if I set darwin-64 as guest-os I get an error on boot by vmware saying there's a problem accessing the darwin.iso needed to install vmware tools. (Specifically, it can't find the specified file).

This problem doesn't show up if the guest-os is freebsd-64.

Any idea?

I get the VMWare Tools error on boot too, but I ignore it. Darwin.iso loads properly and it boots my OS X partition.

Is it booting your OS X partition? If so, I wouldn't worry about the message.

It boots my os partition but darwin.iso is not loaded and shows disconnected.

[edit] But vmtools are clearly loaded since I can copy and paste. I guess I can ignore it

Ah hah! I fixed my scroll wheel problem. My scroll wheel (and center wheel click) weren't working in my Windows 7 VM either, so I knew it was a host problem. I uninstalled Dell Mouse Suite and that fixed it. Unfortunately, I lose the wheel tilting and side buttons, but I hardly used them anyway and would rather have the scroll wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Chameleon 2 RC1 is out...

Seems like using Boot132.iso works just as well as the vmware fusion darwin.iso.

I think the system cannot read the MBR when the guestos is set to "darwin-64"; by changing it to “freebsd-64” or "freebsd" it saw the (darwin) bootloader again - although the kernel would panic after it executes.

I then went back to "darwin-64" and installed Chameleon 2 RC1 but i got the same problems: only worked with the standard guestos modes and with kernel panics.

I also noticed that the MBR on the HD and on the CD seem to be different versions: 5.0.132 and 5.0.132_r74_vmware respectively. I don't think that matters though because the disk can be removed as soon as the boot menu appears and OSX will still load fine.

Just need to figure out the difference between "darwin-64" and “freebsd-64” modes, and then Chameleon and the other loaders should work.

I think it might have something to do with this:

I've also finally added FSB detection. This works only for Intel chips which return the multiplier information from a read to MSR 198h. This is exactly what xnu does during its early startup so if you have an Intel system everything works as expected. If you are running Darwin on an AMD machine the booter itself will cause the machine to reboot almost immediately after you attempt to start the kernel.

I'm leaning towards thinking there are more differences between darwin-64 and freebsd-64 than just FSB detection. One reason is darwin-64 mode is also somehow able to automatically skip blacklisted kexts while freebsd-64 does not. Other than the darwin.iso automatically dismounting after a successful boot, I'm pretty satisfied with darwin-64 mode.

I also figured out my PCGenUSB error, it turned out I had added a 3rd party kext to get USB working that was no longer needed. I couldn't find the kext initially because it was in the Plugins folder of AppleEHCIUSB.kext.

Looking inside darwin.iso there is a "HIDDENDIR" containing "INITRD.IMG" "cdpreboot" and "boot" files. Some of the txt strings in the prebooter suggest it auto ejects itself because it anticipates the user to put the osx dvd in next.

Showing Hidden Files in Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Thing is I don't think there is anything special about that image file, it might not be needed if we can get vmware to read a MBR Disk in "darwin-64" mode; I think it only looks for GPT Disks.

[EDIT] I was able to Restore the Leopard partition to a larger GPT disk, and remove the MBR disk, but still got "Operating System not found" if darwin.iso wasn't mounted. So maybe this is a BIOS problem.

Sorry, could anybody suggest a VM image torrent with working iPhone emulator from iPhone SDK. No need to develop with XCode, just need iPhone emulator. I am not an OS X hacker, spent last 13 years in Java lala-land :-)

My buddies and I have created a platform to develop (with supersonic speed) Web apps for iPhone, Android, Palm Pre, Symbian S60. Not of us have iPhone for testing - please help.

• 1 month later...

Just want to give a heads up an say upgrading to 10.5.7 is also working with the combo update.

Just don't forget to reset dsmos.kext after installing the update.

sudo -s

• 1 month later...
Just want to give a heads up an say upgrading to 10.5.7 is also working with the combo update.

Just don't forget to reset dsmos.kext after installing the update.

sudo -s

i have not been that lucky ;)

once i get to 10.5.7 i get the grey apple screen with no activity...

i first did

10.5.2 -> 10.5.5 COMBO

10.5.5 -> 10.5.7 COMBO

grey screen, no response... -x -v no errors., clears screen sits on black blank screen

so then i rolled back and

10.5.5 -> 10.5.6 DELTA

book ok

10.5.6 -> 10.5.7 DELTA

screwed

also.. the DELTAS do not hve the Dont steal ..... i checked just to make sure...

so trying to figure out what to try next?

btw i went the ServerVersion with the non-hacked darwin.iso

*EDIT* no matter what i do.. i end up with a 10.5.7 that stops all HDD activity on grey apple boot screen... ;) stuck

I have the same problem with 10.5.7. It's the kernel. If I fully upgrade to 10.5.7 and use the old 10.5.6 kernel (9.6.0), all is well. Weird.

I use the -v switch when booting, and what mine does is the resolution changes, then the screen goes black and it stays stuck there forever. Adding -f -x didn't help either.

• 1 month later...

hi, is anybody still trying to update this vmware machine?

I did a "clean unpack" of the pcwiz 10.5.2 and then copied it to a bigger virtual disk with GUID.

I installed tools and then pc_efi v9.

Then I started the script to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Then I installed 10.5.6 Combo Update but didn't restart, instead i stopped the whole vm and mounted the disk-file in another one.

Here I changed Dont Steal Mac .kext to dsmos.kext and then also stopped this vm.

After this my updeted vm has this config file:

.encoding = "windows-1252"
 bios.bootDelay = "5000"
 config.version = "8"
 virtualHW.version = "7"
 ICH7m="TRUE"
 memsize = "1024"
 displayName = "Mac OS X Leopard"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "TRUE"

guestOS = "darwin-64"
 scsi0.present = "TRUE"
 scsi0.sharedBus = "none"
 scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
 scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
 scsi0:0.fileName = "new-000003.vmdk"
 scsi0:0.writeThrough = "FALSE"
 ich7m.present="TRUE"
 ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
 ide1:0.fileName = "otherdata\darwin.iso"
 ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
 ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
 ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:94:54:99"
 scsi0:0.redo = ""
 ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "18"
 ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
 ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"
 usb.present = "TRUE"
 USB:0.deviceType = "mouse"
 usb:0.present = "TRUE"
 USB:1.deviceType = "keyboard"
 usb:1.present = "FALSE"
 uuid.location = "56 4d 78 3e 09 f3 34 09-88 d7 3f 38 0e 94 54 99"
 uuid.bios = "56 4d 78 3e 09 f3 34 09-88 d7 3f 38 0e 94 54 99"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"
 virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
 tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"

checkpoint.vmState = ""
 tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
 debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0"
 vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
 scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
 usb.pciSlotNumber = "17"
 ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
 ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
 ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
 ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

Then, after the first boot the Dock was invisible, although the Dock process was running.

The Finde Bar at the top was still there and files on the Desktop were also "visible".

So I installed IphoneSDK and restarted the OS.

But now Dock and Finder are invisible, there is only the Background image and a movable mousepointer.

Does anybody have an idea what this is and how to solve it?(I have Desktopbackground and Mousepointer in Windows, too, so this is not what I hoped to get :( )

this is how it looks like: :P

Unbenannt-1.jpg

So now I have working 10.5.7 using combo update (from 10.5.6).

Before installing combo update you have to open 2 terminal windows and type sudo -s in both.

In one of them run the script to disable Apple CPUPowerManagement. kext(somewhere in this topic).

Then install 10.5.7. (Do not press restart button after install.)

DO (in other terminal):

and serch for Dont -> replace with call to dsmos.kext

Then reinstall PC EFI v9.

Shutdown using red button in Vmware, after two restarts you should have working 10.5.7.(At least I do-> See screenshot)

10-5-7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
So now I have working 10.5.7 using combo update (from 10.5.6).

Before installing combo update you have to open 2 terminal windows and type sudo -s in both.

In one of them run the script to disable Apple CPUPowerManagement. kext(somewhere in this topic).

Then install 10.5.7. (Do not press restart button after install.)

DO (in other terminal):

and serch for Dont -> replace with call to dsmos.kext

Then reinstall PC EFI v9.

Shutdown using red button in Vmware, after two restarts you should have working 10.5.7.(At least I do-> See screenshot)

10-5-7.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't messed with OSX since May, but I will be trying 10.5.8 Combo Update and 10.6 soon. What would be really good is if we can get a CLEAN install in VMware figured out. :(

Using VMware Workstation v6.5.3.185404 and darwin.iso built from VMware Fusion v2.0.5.173382

Below is a screenshot of first hurdle for a successful clean install of Snow Leopard in VMware.

If I change guestOS from "darwin-64" to "winnt" I get this error

Invalid front-side bus frequency 66000000 Hz

Disabling the CPU ...

VMware_Snow_Leopard_Clean_Install.png