Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi

56 posts in this topic

If you did disk initialization.. maybe the disk doesn't have the permissions database.. so the repair permission is gray

you have to connect the hdd into operative os.. ok

in terminal

write diskutil list

you read the number of the device

i.e. te disk to be repaired is /Volumes/dati .. /dev/disk1s1

then. write

vsdbutil -a /volumes/dati

this start the db permissions on the volume

then write finally

diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/dati..

pay attention to the Uppercase of 'P'ermissions.. is important.

now it start and complete.

the second problem. the 2 hardware are the same? is yes.. ok.. erase the bad Extra/Ext.. and S/L/E and S/L/Extensions.mkext and copy the good one.. the repair perm..

if not.. is right.. infact that's because i wrote that the zip must be tuned. if I use the boot as is.. in other machine doesn't run.

it's due to acpi, ioata, and other vital kext that are modded and adapted to that zotac.

for example.. in AHCI... most people replace info of out mobo (i.e. MCP79) over the existent data.. because other people wrote before to do that. For the topic titled Asus A57NA-VM (is a MCP79 too) someone wrote that. But I did't that. I've opened the plist.. I've found the array with the data. I cut&paste the array to preserve also the older data and injected the new one changing also the strings in order not to have double entry in the array. It's very simple! and the advantage is that your kext is able to load all and your.. insted with the mod is able to load only your and some other and not all.

that's because I've asked to review and tune the mod applied to kexts on the zip file!!

ciao

yes .. I'd add another request: the new topic shall share the same bios settings because the zitac bios is very rich and different from the commons!!

and I'm sure that a little change can produce several scenario and situations!

Thanks for the tips on repairing permissions. What I found was that if you boot up the working computer with the original OSX retail disk, you are able to repair permissions. As for the kexts, how do you install them? I only repaired permissions but have not injected the kexts yet. Without the kexts, I am unable to load into the OS. Thanks!

the only rapid way and also easy is to do as you did.. launch a retail setup on another volume.

then, apply immediately the last 10.5.6 combo update

without restarting (if so, the system can't boot as is.. obviously! the second system is not original mac!) you have to

case 1

-install chameleon 2.0 rc1

this is (for me) a must. because is the last boot manager and take care of previously methods .. and because it's relly fantastic.

this is useful because it correct and prepare the mbr and the boot of your secondary volume before detaching and attaching into the second machine

-then.. finally.. you find the newer Extra/Extensions folder. here you have to put the zip famous.

-erase extensions.mkext (contain the kext in E/E injected with chameleon intaller and must contain also your kext in the zip)

-recreate (is not a must) the extensions.mkext launching the tool update.sh in Extra folder.. but before you have to correct with a text editor the script with the volume name of the volume itself.

case 2

-create Extra

-create Extra/Extensions

-put zip into E/E

-launch chameleon 2.. it add its kext, repair permissions of E/E and create the extensions.mkext which will have also your kexts.

finish.. it's better that case 1

bye

Is there any way to perform this install with only one machine? Some people (including myself) might not have the comfort of two complete systems :)

Is there any distro that contains the required kexts? iPC OSx86 comes with 10.5.6, so maybe that would work?

I think there are 2 probably that can do that.

the safest way is to boot with cpus=1 flag at prompt

the dvd I prefer are

ideneb 1.3 or 1.4

lawless 10.5.4

I prefer the second instead others (kaly, ipc, iatkis are all good but..) because it's the only dvd that has a S/L/E folder instead the classic Extensions.mkext. the advantage is that if the dvd won't boot for any reason.. you could boot with a -f flag.. with other dvd you can't because all haven't an extensions folder with 200mb of kernel drivers !!

no I wasn't clear escuse me!!

the cpus=1 is useful in the 1st boot with dvd hached. after you must choose the proper kernel.. but with an Intel .. and vanilla 9.6 kernel.. it's not necessary to boot with particular flags.. consider that a flag reduce the main powerful characteristics of any boot kernel.

The AHCI did the trick, but now I'm stuck on "localhost mDNAresponder [42] blah blah blah" error...it just hangs there! Any help would be appreciated.

i did a quick search on that problem. it seems like some kexts didn't install properly or there are wrong permission settings somewhere. what exactly is your setup process? maybe someone can help you in more detail then.

Nice work Ugokind!

Re: permissions: please note my procedure step 1, you want to enable permissions on the install drive before you install 10.5.0 and 10.5.6, then repair perms when you have copied kexts. I am using GUID, but mbr may work.

Re: doing it all in one system. You should be able to do these steps if you can get some other hard disk booting with any kind of distro. What I mean is if you can get a base system even if it does not have sound, video, network working, you can do the vanilla install to the target drive. It used to be a common technique to install kallyway 10.5.2 because it works on many platforms, then prepare your vanilla retail drive. I obviously did not use a distro and do not know which one would work, but getting a base boot without proper drivers should be easy to do.

I do not have an optical drive in my system, so part of the reason for my procedure is to account for that fact.

In general, I find you need two hard disks minimum to tinker with OSX installs, so my advice is to have one you can use to do basic booting and repairing/kext copying while you tweak the other.

I have also seen occasionally where using the GUI to copy kexts results in a corrupt kext, so be sure to use terminal. Such as (for example):

sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /VanillaKextBackup/

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

sudo cp -r /Zotac9300/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo diskutil repairPermissions / <----- or if booted off another drive use the other volume not "/" or just use Disk Utility in gui.

And do this anytime you replace kexts. If you copy a kext and do not have your mkext and permissions straight, the system definitely will not boot.

I would love to do more testing myself, but my family would kill me if I go messing with the new media computer again ;)

Re: doing it all in one system. You should be able to do these steps if you can get some other hard disk booting with any kind of distro. What I mean is if you can get a base system even if it does not have sound, video, network working, you can do the vanilla install to the target drive. It used to be a common technique to install kallyway 10.5.2 because it works on many platforms, then prepare your vanilla retail drive. I obviously did not use a distro and do not know which one would work, but getting a base boot without proper drivers should be easy to do.

That's what I was planning. Getting a bootable system (without proper video etc.) with a distro, then install the kexts from the zip posted earlier. Would that work?

This is my setup...currently not working

MB- Zotac 9300 ITX

Harddrive - Hitachi SATA

CPU - Q9400

Memory - 4gb GSkill 800MHz

CD Drive - Samsung DVD-RW SATA

OS - RETAIL OSX 10.5.4

Protocol

1) First I placed my harddrive on a external SATA dock and connect it to my working hackintosh (Acer Aspire One) via USB CRSU2.jpg

2) I then partition my harddrive in Disk Utility with GUID and named it "Quad"

3) Then I right click on my newly partition harddrive "Quad" and click on info and uncheck the box called "Ignore ownership on this volume"

4) Then I open up Terminal and install Leo ....

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open OSInstall.mpkg

5) After Installation (without restarting anything), I continue to install the 10.5.6 combined update on "Quad"

6) Again, without restarting anything, I create a folder in the main volume called "Extra" and in that folder, I create another folder called "Extensions"

7) I then unzipped the zip file from HMiller and migrated the files to the "Extensions" folder

8) Again, without restarting anything, I installed Chameleon RC1 on "Quad"

9) I then double checked that Chameleon RC1 Install did use my Extra/Extensions folder

10) Then I shut down my working hackintosh computer and unplugged the Harddrive Sata USB dock and moved my harddrive to my Zotac computer build.

11) I started up the Zotac computer with BIOS in default except for the under Integrated Peripherals/MCP Storage Config/ SATA Operation Mode -- switich [iDE "default" ---> AHCI]

12) I then saved and exit BIOS

13) Computer restarts now and Chameleon loads

14) It highlights "Quad" so I now press enter... actually, load in verbose mode "-v"

15) About 10 sec it just hangs

16) I shut the computer down and move the harddrive to m SATA USB dock again and connect it to my working hackintosh

17) I reinstall chameleon RC1 with my kexts moved in the Extra/Extensions folder

18) I Fix Permission in Disk Utility

19) It says permissions fixed, but in the log file nothing really happened

20) I remove the harddrive and install it on the Zotac machine again

21) The Zotac machine boots up with Chameleon and I press "-v" and enter again

22) About 10 sec of booting, it hangs....

23) :( ...but a big shoutout to everyone who has contributed!!

Cheers! Anyone help me troubleshoot?

HMILLER:

Nice work Ugokind!

Re: permissions: please note my procedure step 1, you want to enable permissions on the install drive before you install 10.5.0 and 10.5.6, then repair perms when you have copied kexts. I am using GUID, but mbr may work.

YES it's the same! GUID or MBR are external respect the type of partition. we are talking of a partition type and format.. then it's the same.. enabling or not the permission table (inside a partition) is independent from the kind of partition table format.

let me understand. which way do you prefer? the plugging into good one and setup/deploy on 2nd volume or booting from a dvd modded/hacked? but.. reflect: are you really sure that a dvd modded is -non retail-? why?

I tell you.. tha modded one is retail as the original one. because the boot process is independent from the deploy procedure during the setup of the dvd. the setup of any (any) osx is a sequantial copy of package. the differences between kaly, xxx, ideneb, iatkos or original is that you have first the original setup (always) with or without some parts (yes, because the origina fit 6,66gb!! but has many things -for me- absolutely futile) and with or without extra package.. for example.. tadaa voddo kernel.. ioahci fix.. video drivers.. etc. etc.. but if you leave the system setup as is without extra package you have retail and vanilla kernel! the boot process of the dvd is really important only if your hardware is further than the mac.. and ok.. someone say that kaly is better because it's boot process is optimized for amd or certain kind of hw. but the reality is that there are no diffeernces from retail and hack if the final goal of the setup is having a 10.5.6 original S/L/E and vanilla!! then.. here the retail! you can have it also with kaly.. heh

I do not have an optical drive in my system, so part of the reason for my procedure is to account for that fact.

ok.. can you deploy a osx setup into a usb pen drive? is better than a dvd.. you have a personal setup and a quick and silent setup

In general, I find you need two hard disks minimum to tinker with OSX installs, so my advice is to have one you can use to do basic booting and repairing/kext copying while you tweak the other.

ok.. no more joking

I have also seen occasionally where using the GUI to copy kexts results in a corrupt kext, so be sure to use terminal. Such as (for example):

sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /VanillaKextBackup/

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

sudo cp -r /Zotac9300/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo diskutil repairPermissions / <----- or if booted off another drive use the other volume not "/" or just use Disk Utility in gui.

And do this anytime you replace kexts. If you copy a kext and do not have your mkext and permissions straight, the system definitely will not boot.

not exactly

if you do early the 'touch /Volumes/xxxxx/System/Library/Extensions

and repairpermissions

you permit the Father OS to create Mkext into the child plugged hdd.

do that: open the folder.. esare manually the mkext.. and wait for seconds.. you see that mkext is still borning itself!

then.. if the mkext doesn't exist, with those kexts as I described.. you start with -f and always the system recreate the mkext correctly at next boot.

If you consider boring to write all of those words in terminal.. do as me a script shell with the permissions repair.. etc..

I would love to do more testing myself, but my family would kill me if I go messing with the new media computer again :(

be quite! me too. But tomorrow i'm at home.. I have to spend some 2008 days of vacancies.. ieee

and no people at home.. I'll ho I'll do more experience.. I'm not happy with that config..

bye

dj_dumpling

I'd like to help you

but today I've prepared 2 pages of explanation.. and with that edit post opened.. puf. a big crash on my laptop! I spent 10 minutes thinking to cry and destroy the laptop.. sigh.

I promise to repeat all. Then.

You have to do those steps you wrote .. ok.. but before I'm sure.. you have to use HMiller zip file.

I see that the zip is very good.. but the changes in the plist of all the zip are chained to older drivers. I take a track of all of them.. and 95% of those are older than 10.5.6 ones. Then.. in these days I'm trying to to a SINGLE KEXT mod at a time!

it's long but scientific

I start only with 10.5.6 retail and Extra/Extensions with ONLY disabler (it's the same as hmiller intelcpudisabler) / Openhaltrestart (it improve restart and sleep) / AppleDecrypter (It impove boot process and some process always because of the PPC/Rosetta compenents of osx)

Then I pick a certain mod (proposed by HMiller) correct the fix into newer kext 10.5.6.. inject into the os hdd. test..

yes/NO.. then discard or keep.

I repeat.. it's long but safe.

Actually:

1) with the only 3 kext I have the boot .. the welcome screen.. the system is ok

VGA is base.. no QE/CI it say IGPU that is unknown. Ok

Fisrt test is to correct GEforce.kext, NVDANV50 and NVDARESMAN with device ID of our video card. Yes.. in Asus MCP79chipset on P5N7A-VM thanks to diabolik the system boots QE/CI without video Injector.. no NVKusk.. thanks to a fix into DSDT.AML.

tomorrow i'll test those 3 kexts.

2) system profiler crashes. I've launched the apple update this afternoon... no improvements. the sys profil crashes.. I think (reading the logs) that is due to some important parts if mobo that it can't discover. Ok.. next step is to inject IOATA and IOAHCI plist fixes into 10.5.6 kexts. I repeat.. HMiller do a good job, but his drivers are vital.. but older and cannot be mixed into 10.5.6 retail os.

3) after having a stable boot, I'll try to fix the dsdt.. but forgive to use the wifi zotac.. boohhhooooo :D

good night

ugo

Wow ugokind, so much writing :D I know how it feels when you lose a lot of text, it's so annoying and most of the time I forgot what I wrote :)

In his writeup HMiller used 10.5.6 didn't he? Can you post the updated kext collection for this board? I think it's a good approach to start with a base system and then add video/audio/misc one by one. Maybe we should categorize kexts, so people know which kext does what.

Do you think your method would work with a zotac n610i mini itx? Don t need the stuff on the 9300 and the 610i is super cheap here (40 €)

I have a more or less successful install with this board that I'll share. This is kind of a lazy write-up because this is not my main hack and thus it is "good enough" for me, not a perfect install. This is for a little media center with PLex, EyeTV, Remote Buddy, and the Sony BD remote.

This is a Vanilla Retail type install!

What does not work, but could:

-On-board Audio (I am using iMic USB which does work and did not hassle with this except to find that VoodooHDA does NOT work).

-wireless networking (did not try on this b/c I use wired gigabit)

-Sleep/resume works from menu, but usb keybord does not come back--get error about overvoltage causing USB device to be disabled. Unplugging keyboard and plugging back fixes, but I have sleep turned off. For my purposes I can't wake the system from remote anyway, so I do not care.

-PS2 Key/Mouse (why bother?)

Does not work and never will: This board does not support USB wake on the hardware level, Zotac you b*stards!

What does work (reliably)

-onboard gigabit ethernet

-onboard video

-iMic USB for audio

-bluetooth dongle usb

-Playstation3 BD remote with remote buddy/bluetooth

Untested:

-I do not have an optical drive in this system. I assume a Sata drive should work fine.

Install Method:

1. Insert sata hard disk in working hackintosh, partition GUID. Mark to not ignore permissions on this drive in info.

2. Install OSX 10.5.0 from working hack, run Apple 10.5.6 combined update.

3. Copy over AppleACPIPlatform, AppleSMBIOS, dsmos, IntelCPUPMDisabler, IOAHCIFamily, IOATAFamily, NVkush. (these are attached, not all may be necessary, like I said this is a lazy write-up!).

4. run Chameleon 2.0RC1 and use standard install (EFI-type may work, I did not use it).

5. Put the disk in the new system and boot up. OK, here's the gotcha. The 10.5.6 update will run a boot time process that will overwrite some of the kexts you just copied. In fact, it will boot and do this, then reboot on its own. Just let it go until you get a kernel panic or something then copy your kexts again and repair permissions. I might have re-run chameleon installer here, kind of forget.

6. Boot up and if you do get any kind of kernel panic, just reboot. Once this is setup, you will NOT get any panics or instability. I am typing this from this system now!

7. Run all updates from the Apple menu, all install with no issues.

All-in-all, this is a very easy install and the board supports OSX pretty well for me at least. Not sure of the OP's problems, but I would just say to try to get away from Distros if you can. Retail installs are actually a lot easier/more predictable. Who knows what the scripts in a distro are doing? Just get your retail working and save a copy of the particular kexts/dsdt etc you used and then a reinstall is a breeze.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention. I have tried Vanilla retail on 2 different systems with 10.5.6 retail DVD and have not had success. Specifically, 10.5.6 Reatail DVD did not work on this board for me. For some reason the 10.5.0 -> 10.5.6 update method works much better for me even though it is an extra step.

• 3 months later...
I have a more or less successful install with this board that I'll share. This is kind of a lazy write-up because this is not my main hack and thus it is "good enough" for me, not a perfect install. This is for a little media center with PLex, EyeTV, Remote Buddy, and the Sony BD remote.

This is a Vanilla Retail type install!

What does not work, but could:

-On-board Audio (I am using iMic USB which does work and did not hassle with this except to find that VoodooHDA does NOT work).

-wireless networking (did not try on this b/c I use wired gigabit)

-Sleep/resume works from menu, but usb keybord does not come back--get error about overvoltage causing USB device to be disabled. Unplugging keyboard and plugging back fixes, but I have sleep turned off. For my purposes I can't wake the system from remote anyway, so I do not care.

-PS2 Key/Mouse (why bother?)

Does not work and never will: This board does not support USB wake on the hardware level, Zotac you b*stards!

What does work (reliably)

-onboard gigabit ethernet

-onboard video

-iMic USB for audio

-bluetooth dongle usb

-Playstation3 BD remote with remote buddy/bluetooth

Untested:

-I do not have an optical drive in this system. I assume a Sata drive should work fine.

Install Method:

1. Insert sata hard disk in working hackintosh, partition GUID. Mark to not ignore permissions on this drive in info.

2. Install OSX 10.5.0 from working hack, run Apple 10.5.6 combined update.

3. Copy over AppleACPIPlatform, AppleSMBIOS, dsmos, IntelCPUPMDisabler, IOAHCIFamily, IOATAFamily, NVkush. (these are attached, not all may be necessary, like I said this is a lazy write-up!).

4. run Chameleon 2.0RC1 and use standard install (EFI-type may work, I did not use it).

5. Put the disk in the new system and boot up. OK, here's the gotcha. The 10.5.6 update will run a boot time process that will overwrite some of the kexts you just copied. In fact, it will boot and do this, then reboot on its own. Just let it go until you get a kernel panic or something then copy your kexts again and repair permissions. I might have re-run chameleon installer here, kind of forget.

6. Boot up and if you do get any kind of kernel panic, just reboot. Once this is setup, you will NOT get any panics or instability. I am typing this from this system now!

7. Run all updates from the Apple menu, all install with no issues.

All-in-all, this is a very easy install and the board supports OSX pretty well for me at least. Not sure of the OP's problems, but I would just say to try to get away from Distros if you can. Retail installs are actually a lot easier/more predictable. Who knows what the scripts in a distro are doing? Just get your retail working and save a copy of the particular kexts/dsdt etc you used and then a reinstall is a breeze.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention. I have tried Vanilla retail on 2 different systems with 10.5.6 retail DVD and have not had success. Specifically, 10.5.6 Reatail DVD did not work on this board for me. For some reason the 10.5.0 -> 10.5.6 update method works much better for me even though it is an extra step.

Actually it does wake via USB....... useing the latest bios from the zotac website you wont see wake via usb in the bios but if you set power management to S1, in the bios and then useing the kexts you supplyed, and tell the hackintosh to sleep on 10.5.7 the computer goes to sleep and will not wake up unless you click the mouse, and for this i was useing a microsoft usb optical mouse, click the button and the hackintosh wakes from sleep so your wrong ;) it will wake via usb

Ben

Actually it does wake via USB....... useing the latest bios from the zotac website you wont see wake via usb in the bios but if you set power management to S1, in the bios and then useing the kexts you supplyed, and tell the hackintosh to sleep on 10.5.7 the computer goes to sleep and will not wake up unless you click the mouse, and for this i was useing a microsoft usb optical mouse, click the button and the hackintosh wakes from sleep so your wrong ;) it will wake via usb

Ben

p.s this was tested on a REV 01 motherboard, so yes it works on a rev 01 mobo its not just limited to rev 03 as hackpromini sujested......... :-D