• 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Apicoltura
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
i write you now but read tomorrow your answer:

now i'm using only the zip. I see in System Information about usb ports.. I see wifi plugged in but it say that is not installed. Is = for you?

bye
see ya

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,713 posts
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
hy
the voodoohda project is at rev.8.. the build is fine.. I see the audio panel in preferences.. and can adjust volume
but.. i must find a speaker stereo.. the goal is to case mod my little case in order to have a good internal audio!!
the mike don't work..

the alc662.txt + taruga patcher doesn't work. no audio, no panel on preferences

I repeat thet in my laptop the restart doesn't work. It do completely the shutdown.. but the cpu fan still run.. and no beep of initial system start!

with OPENHALTRESTART the restart is good.. but I have double entry in FINDER MENU..

RESTART
RESTART

SHUTDOWN
SHUTDOWN

how can I fix it?

nvkush in E/E is not 100% QE/CI.. in S/L/E yes!

I', searching for a SMBIOS modded to inject proper DDR2 800 speed ram Kingston.. the system profiler see 667!

in the end, sometimes the system profiler crashes.. I did 5 minutes ago the apple update.. is from 10.5.6 'til security update 2009-001

I hope next boot to have better system!!

any news ?

ugo

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,713 posts
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
solved the double entry in menu

thanks to external topic
http://forums.macrum...er.php?u=148324

that's because of ENABLING audio.. and the Login/Logout VOICE command are enabled themselves!

gas505

gas505

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
You are a machine! Great work on all this.

dj_dumpling

dj_dumpling

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, great write up everyone! I am following HMiller's protocol but I am now stuck. After I received my kernel panic, I removed the HD from my Zotac machine to my working computer, but I am unable to boot up, I believe it's due to the disk permissions. So my question is "how can you repair disk permission and install kexts to a HD that can't boot up?" I also tried to repair disk permission on this harddrive connected to my working computer as an external harddrive, but the disk permission feature in Disk Utilities is greyed out. Any thoughts? Thanks!

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,713 posts
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
If you did disk initialization.. maybe the disk doesn't have the permissions database.. so the repair permission is gray
you have to connect the hdd into operative os.. ok
in terminal
write diskutil list

you read the number of the device
i.e. te disk to be repaired is /Volumes/dati .. /dev/disk1s1

then. write
vsdbutil -a /volumes/dati

this start the db permissions on the volume

then write finally
diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/dati..

pay attention to the Uppercase of 'P'ermissions.. is important.

now it start and complete.

the second problem. the 2 hardware are the same? is yes.. ok.. erase the bad Extra/Ext.. and S/L/E and S/L/Extensions.mkext and copy the good one.. the repair perm..

if not.. is right.. infact that's because i wrote that the zip must be tuned. if I use the boot as is.. in other machine doesn't run.

it's due to acpi, ioata, and other vital kext that are modded and adapted to that zotac.

for example.. in AHCI... most people replace info of out mobo (i.e. MCP79) over the existent data.. because other people wrote before to do that. For the topic titled Asus A57NA-VM (is a MCP79 too) someone wrote that. But I did't that. I've opened the plist.. I've found the array with the data. I cut&paste the array to preserve also the older data and injected the new one changing also the strings in order not to have double entry in the array. It's very simple! and the advantage is that your kext is able to load all and your.. insted with the mod is able to load only your and some other and not all.

that's because I've asked to review and tune the mod applied to kexts on the zip file!!

ciao

timme

timme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Great stuff! Any more successful installs with this board?

By the way, we should somehow merge this thread with this one, in order to focus the information.

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,713 posts
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
yes .. I'd add another request: the new topic shall share the same bios settings because the zitac bios is very rich and different from the commons!!
and I'm sure that a little change can produce several scenario and situations!

dj_dumpling

dj_dumpling

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the tips on repairing permissions. What I found was that if you boot up the working computer with the original OSX retail disk, you are able to repair permissions. As for the kexts, how do you install them? I only repaired permissions but have not injected the kexts yet. Without the kexts, I am unable to load into the OS. Thanks!

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,713 posts
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
the only rapid way and also easy is to do as you did.. launch a retail setup on another volume.
then, apply immediately the last 10.5.6 combo update
without restarting (if so, the system can't boot as is.. obviously! the second system is not original mac!) you have to
case 1
-install chameleon 2.0 rc1
this is (for me) a must. because is the last boot manager and take care of previously methods .. and because it's relly fantastic.
this is useful because it correct and prepare the mbr and the boot of your secondary volume before detaching and attaching into the second machine
-then.. finally.. you find the newer Extra/Extensions folder. here you have to put the zip famous.
-erase extensions.mkext (contain the kext in E/E injected with chameleon intaller and must contain also your kext in the zip)
-recreate (is not a must) the extensions.mkext launching the tool update.sh in Extra folder.. but before you have to correct with a text editor the script with the volume name of the volume itself.
case 2
-create Extra
-create Extra/Extensions
-put zip into E/E
-launch chameleon 2.. it add its kext, repair permissions of E/E and create the extensions.mkext which will have also your kexts.
finish.. it's better that case 1

bye

timme

timme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Is there any way to perform this install with only one machine? Some people (including myself) might not have the comfort of two complete systems :)

Is there any distro that contains the required kexts? iPC OSx86 comes with 10.5.6, so maybe that would work?

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,713 posts
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
I think there are 2 probably that can do that.
the safest way is to boot with cpus=1 flag at prompt
the dvd I prefer are
ideneb 1.3 or 1.4
lawless 10.5.4

I prefer the second instead others (kaly, ipc, iatkis are all good but..) because it's the only dvd that has a S/L/E folder instead the classic Extensions.mkext. the advantage is that if the dvd won't boot for any reason.. you could boot with a -f flag.. with other dvd you can't because all haven't an extensions folder with 200mb of kernel drivers !!

timme

timme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Ah, so it is possible to get the system to boot after installation (with cpus=1) to install the kext package? That would make the setup rather easy, especially on distros that already come with 10.5.6? :blink:

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,713 posts
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
no I wasn't clear escuse me!!
the cpus=1 is useful in the 1st boot with dvd hached. after you must choose the proper kernel.. but with an Intel .. and vanilla 9.6 kernel.. it's not necessary to boot with particular flags.. consider that a flag reduce the main powerful characteristics of any boot kernel.

dj_dumpling

dj_dumpling

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My installation freezes when I try to boot up the system. It constantly give me a "waiting for root device" message. Do I need to change anything in the bios?

timme

timme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Have you tried activating AHCI in the BIOS?

dj_dumpling

dj_dumpling

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The AHCI did the trick, but now I'm stuck on "localhost mDNAresponder [42] blah blah blah" error...it just hangs there! Any help would be appreciated.

timme

timme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

The AHCI did the trick, but now I'm stuck on "localhost mDNAresponder [42] blah blah blah" error...it just hangs there! Any help would be appreciated.

i did a quick search on that problem. it seems like some kexts didn't install properly or there are wrong permission settings somewhere. what exactly is your setup process? maybe someone can help you in more detail then.

HMiller

HMiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Nice work Ugokind!

Re: permissions: please note my procedure step 1, you want to enable permissions on the install drive before you install 10.5.0 and 10.5.6, then repair perms when you have copied kexts. I am using GUID, but mbr may work.

Re: doing it all in one system. You should be able to do these steps if you can get some other hard disk booting with any kind of distro. What I mean is if you can get a base system even if it does not have sound, video, network working, you can do the vanilla install to the target drive. It used to be a common technique to install kallyway 10.5.2 because it works on many platforms, then prepare your vanilla retail drive. I obviously did not use a distro and do not know which one would work, but getting a base boot without proper drivers should be easy to do.

I do not have an optical drive in my system, so part of the reason for my procedure is to account for that fact.

In general, I find you need two hard disks minimum to tinker with OSX installs, so my advice is to have one you can use to do basic booting and repairing/kext copying while you tweak the other.

I have also seen occasionally where using the GUI to copy kexts results in a corrupt kext, so be sure to use terminal. Such as (for example):
sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /VanillaKextBackup/
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext
sudo cp -r /Zotac9300/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo diskutil repairPermissions / <----- or if booted off another drive use the other volume not "/" or just use Disk Utility in gui.

And do this anytime you replace kexts. If you copy a kext and do not have your mkext and permissions straight, the system definitely will not boot.

I would love to do more testing myself, but my family would kill me if I go messing with the new media computer again ;)

dj_dumpling

dj_dumpling

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Besides changing IDE to AHCI in the BIOS, do you keep everything else in the BIOS in default setting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy