WORKING Solution for Marvell Yukon 2 88E8040 Fast Ethernet!

adamsalac

158 posts in this topic

I can report success on my inspiron 1525 running Ideneb 1.4 (10.5.6). Finaly!!!!! :):P

Hi,

finally I found a solution for the Marvell Yukon 2 88E8040 Fast Ethernet Device.

The key is Leopard 10.5.7 9J22. In this build there's an updated version of the IONetworkingFamily.kext exactly like in Snow Leopard 10A261 , but the Snow Leopard kernel extension DOESN'T work in Leopard.

And yesterday,I installed Leopard 10.5.7 9J22 and tada... my Ethernet port works.

Please report if the 9J22 kext works in older stable releases and if all dependencies are covered.

If not please tell me and I'll add the missing kernel extension(s).

Here's the proof:

71039462.th.png

Sorry,the screenshot is in German , even though I'm not German,but it's the language I speak the best.

Hope it works. The kernel extension is attached here. AppleYukon2.zip

UPDATE: Here's a new modified kext including 88E8040T support and corrected Info.plist device name AppleYukon2new.zip

I'm very happy about any feedback.

Greetings from Czech Republic,

Adam

@RealRooster,palomu and all guys having the same problem I already mentioned in other posts:

Don't worry, I'm still thinking about it and I hope that I'll find a solution.

@itdoesnotwork: I have got 9J27 and even the complete IONetworkingFamily.kext shows bad MAC adress.

As I already said above,our only possibility is currently is to wait until Apple releases the sources of Darwin 9.7.0 at

Apple Open Source - Darwin Releases

When we've got the source,we could modify the source and compile our own kernel extension with corrected MAC adress recognition from Slice's Marvell.ket,which is open source.This will take a while and till then we've to live either with broken MAC adresses or modify the kext with Slice's trick (see above).

Adam

@RealRooster,palomu and all guys having the same problem I already mentioned in other posts:

Don't worry, I'm still thinking about it and I hope that I'll find a solution.

@itdoesnotwork: I have got 9J27 and even the complete IONetworkingFamily.kext shows bad MAC adress.

As I already said above,our only possibility is currently is to wait until Apple releases the sources of Darwin 9.7.0 at

Apple Open Source - Darwin Releases

When we've got the source,we could modify the source and compile our own kernel extension with corrected MAC adress recognition from Slice's Marvell.ket,which is open source.This will take a while and till then we've to live either with broken MAC adresses or modify the kext with Slice's trick (see above).

Adam

The only problem is I can't see any source for the AppleYukon2 kext which is in the plugins of IONetworkingFamily.kext. I'm not sure if the source is available/going to be available.

No, you missunderstood. I'm not really concerned about the mac adress, but of my ethernet card not working after sleeping the computer. -_-

So my question was if anyone has an idea concerning my sleep problem, or if you could at least upload the whole networking kext so i can see if this might fix my problem. I don't really want to install the beta update...

No, you missunderstood. I'm not really concerned about the mac adress, but of my ethernet card not working after sleeping the computer. :D

So my question was if anyone has an idea concerning my sleep problem, or if you could at least upload the whole networking kext so i can see if this might fix my problem. I don't really want to install the beta update...

I'm having the same problem on my Dell m1530. I was so excited to see ethernet working, but so sad when it stopped working after sleep. ;)

post-158377-1236881387_thumb.png

I downloaded the last kext file... The ethernet did not work but i saw something. when i start up the Mac os X, the kext file is loaded, but when i go to put the ethernet cable on my hackintosh then the kext file is going to unload. i dont know why... Manually i load again the kext file but nothing.... Any help?

i installed the IOPCIfamily 2.5.4 but i had kernel panic and show me the dependencies Yokon2 -->IONetworking-->IOPCIfamily

I've already got 9J34. I'm gonna test it and upload as soon as I reinstall my Mac OS X as I screwed it up. Crappy MBR...I've to use munky's method to avoid this useless reinstalling.

btw: I'll upload the whole IONetworkngFamily.kext and all it's dependencies.

@NuSuey: Neni zac, ja jsem pouze upravil tu kernel extension.Uz je to jedina vada na nasich laptopech (M1530).Doufam ze to brzy pujde perfekne (ethernet after sleep problem).

Adam

Hi all,

I have installed Yukon2new.kext file and have the network adapter working on Dell XPS m1530. The only problem is that under System Preferences --> Network --> The connections shows up as Airport??

The Laptop has Intel 3945ABG card for which only test drivers are out and they do not seem to work.

I did go in BIOS to disabled Wireless card to see if that fixes the above issue but no luck.

Does anyone has this problem? Is there something I can do to fix it?

any help will be greatly appreciated,

Mani

Hi all,

I have installed Yukon2new.kext file and have the network adapter working on Dell XPS m1530. The only problem is that under System Preferences --> Network --> The connections shows up as Airport??

The Laptop has Intel 3945ABG card for which only test drivers are out and they do not seem to work.

I did go in BIOS to disabled Wireless card to see if that fixes the above issue but no luck.

Does anyone has this problem? Is there something I can do to fix it?

any help will be greatly appreciated,

Mani

Once you edit the MAC address, it is resolved. There is a post on where to find the strings a few posts back.

Thank you swpharis, that did the trick and it works.......Now only thing left for me to do is Intel 3945ABG....

FYI you can pick up an Ndraft Dell wireless that works for about $25 on ebay. Mine was here in a week. I wish I knew where to edit it's mac though. It still shows up as 11 22 33 44 55

I've already got 9J34. I'm gonna test it and upload as soon as I reinstall my Mac OS X as I screwed it up. Crappy MBR...I've to use munky's method to avoid this useless reinstalling.

btw: I'll upload the whole IONetworkngFamily.kext and all it's dependencies.

@NuSuey: Neni zac, ja jsem pouze upravil tu kernel extension.Uz je to jedina vada na nasich laptopech (M1530).Doufam ze to brzy pujde perfekne (ethernet after sleep problem).

Adam

Can you post the 9J34 kexts?

I had the same problem with the ethernet being recognized as 88E8048 after I applied the .kext but the ethernet port still seemed to be working so I moved on to applying Slice's fix for the 00:11:22:33:44:55 MAC address problem. Well after I installed the Marvell.kext and rebooted my computer it crashed and wouldn't reboot into Mac. So I reinstalled the 10.5.6 version (which was the one I had originally installed) so I could give it another go. This time after I applied adamsalac's .kext it worked fine with no weird 88E8048 changes or MAC address problems. I rebooted just to make sure it would the MAC address would stick and hear I am writing this post. So palomu and the others having this same problem I would recommend trying the reinstall it worked for me. And thanks for the fix adamsalac.

I have a Sony Vaio vgn-cs190, intel core2Duo

So here it is: Complete IONetworkingFamily.kext from 9J34.

Sleep still doesn't work. Still 00:11:22... MAC address.

btw:It's completely vanilla so you may have to modify the Info.plist (applied to 88E8040T users).

Adam

P.S.: Sorry that it took so long... had to reinstall OS X.I'll change to GPT in future.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Anyone have any luck with the new AppleYukon2.kext (v3.1.12b7) from Snow Leopard release 10A261? Diff'd the prior version and the new -- minor changes in Info.plist, and Version.plist, but looks like binary is signifigantly different.

Just wondering if anyone grabbed this and/or got it working.

Didn't work on straight install to Dell 1525 where the old kext was working fine.

-- Wolfer

Unfortunately Ethernet is still gone after sleep with this kext. This really drives me nuts!

Network Monitor says it is active and connected, however it doesn't work anymore.

Is there a terminal command for reloading the kext/the ethernet device?

Thanks

You could try kextload to load it but I'm doubtful as to it having much effect.

@wolfer: Probably you've got the 88E8040T (this device id is the old modified kext but not in the new vanilla one).Does you MAC address appear correctly? Try to copy the old Info.plist into the 9J34 kext

I'll upload the new 9J39 kexts as soon as I've got them....

Adam

So it works on a M1530. I edited the Info.plist for 88E8040 and 88E8040T from the previous version. I also corrected the mac address as per Slice's instructions. Confirming that ethernet works even after sleep. Now everything looks neat and clean. Thanks a heap.