Radeon 9800pro - Leo? Tiger?

entropy11

8 posts in this topic

So I've been trying for days looking here (what's up with the search never working?) as well as googling like a madman. It seems the general consensus is, the 9800* won't work well in Leopard? By work well I mean being able to change resolutions?

I really only want to use this computer for playing videos and listening to music... if I can't do that, there's really no point in putting OSx86 on here. So, if it works well under Tiger (including M-Audio OR AC97 onboard sound), then I have no issues reverting to that!

Here's my system, for reference I suppose:

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-L

Intel P4 2.8c

1gb RAM

Radeon 9800 pro

M-Audio Revolution 5.1 (working, but not with all the feature of the card)

Linksys WMP54g

Alrighty. Since I'm not terribly well-versed with the nitty-gritty of kexts... why? If it works in Tiger, why don't the same kexts work in Leopard? I know it's not the case (I found a dmg with all the ATI kexts), but why don't they load properly?

Right, so major apologies for double posting... but I've been thinking. If it was PPC in Tiger, and it WORKS in Tiger (using Callisto)... why then doesn't it work in Leopard? It's not as if Leopard dropped PPC support, and clearly I don't have PPC processor even in Tiger

So why exactly doesn't just copying over the relevant kexts (ATIRadeon9700*), applying Callisto and rebooting work? Intuitively it should: kexts aren't "built" different between 10.4/10.5, still has PPC support, still loads drivers... so what's up?

No, I know... trying for days didn't get me anywhere, and that seems to be the general consensus :D

I was just wondering why. I don't have very intimate knowledge of kexts and such, so I'm just curious how and why it doesn't work (for knowledge's sake!)