ALC655 + VIA8237R stereo fix

pattjin

162 posts in this topic

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! YOU ROCK!!

Sorry for the caps but I've been trying to get stereo to work for hours. Beautiful!

Heh, guess that makes me have a perfect system! ;)

Bit of help for everyone trying this:

I firstly tried the entire kext, no luck.

Secondly, I tried just the AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext, no luck.

Lastly, I tried the solution pattjin suggested with copying the file AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA and it worked!

Let me give you a command rundown:

sudo -s 
cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS
mv AppleAC97AudioVIA /root
mv /Users/[USERNAME]/Desktop/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA .
chmod -R 755 .
chown -R root:wheel .
exit
reboot

PLEASE NOTE: The folder which the new file is stored in may not necessarily be /Users/[uSERNAME]/..... etc. Change this to where you downloaded the kext in this post to. Oh, and don't forget to decompress it if Safari didn't do that for you already! :gathering: Can't copy anything from a zipped kext ;)

That's it! Hopefully this clarify things a little. Rock on! :)

I can confirm that the method of replacing only the AppleAC97AudioVIA folder works on my VT8235 Southbridge motherboard (Mach Speed PM2MP). Previously I tried replacing the whole AppleAC97Audio.kext and it completely ruined my audio (I had none).

Wahoo!!! Audio in stereo and LAN working, and video at 1280x1024. Not bad for some hardware I had laying around collecting dust.

Thanks everyone!

:(

• 2 weeks later...

It doenst work with my Asus A8V Deluxe ( AMD 3200 Venice ) and Jas 10.4.6 and the Jas Update 10.4.7.

After install Jas 10.4.6 DVD no Sound.

After install Jas 10.4.7 Update no Sound.

After install these driver no sound with errorpage.

After install another AUDIO97.kext sound on left site. (mono)

The whole system works great - nvidia works fine - yukon works fine - but sound only left site :idea:

Any help or new kext for jas 10.4.7??

(Sry for bad english)

• 1 month later...
You could try just copying the file AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA, since that's really the only part that changed.

Of course, make it root:wheel, and all the permissions and stuff like that.

Now to see if I can figure out the other channels and maybe the onboard VIA8237 Ethernet as well.

Pat

Replaced above mentioned file, did the permissions and kext cache cleanup, works perfectly.

MacOS 10.4.5 (Myzar)

ASUS A8V Deluxe onboard audio

Thank you very much! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something that will baffle you - people on Hackintosh report fully work sound with the AD1888 codec using the Myzar 10.4.4/.5 install dvd. Yet even If I use the kext from the 10.4.4/5/6 multi install dvd, it just goes back to single channel left audio.

Anyone have any ideas why it worked for them?

• 3 weeks later...

Neither the first or the stereo fixed file worked for me in 10.4.6 JaS.

In the end I ended up trying something from "macgirl" http://www.nedprod.com/Niall_stuff/MacOS%2...7Audio.kext.zip

Unzipped and copied it to /System/Library/Extensions.

Tried to run it, no success.

chmod -R 755 and chown -R root:wheel on the AppleAC97Audio.kext.

Ran the Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and repaired permissions.

Tried to kextload AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext from within /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns and: Success!

But it didn't showed up in System preferences -> Sound yet, rebooted, and it worked :wink2:

Or well, with that one I to only got left channel sound.

So I tried with the stereo fixed version from here and did the same stuff and that time that one to worked.

So maybe that wasn't my issue, you see, I had also removed my SB Audigy totally from the machine because I looked in the BIOS and saw that integrated pci ac97 said "Auto", not "Enabled", and the only options was Auto or Disabled. So I figured maybe my audigy card made onboard sound to not start at all?

So in any case, stereo fixed version works perfect with both channels here after I've had removed my real sound card.

The sound is very "thin" compared to my audigy thought, I wonder if that is because iTunes is {censored} or because my AC97 really is {censored}, also it's to bad there are no mic boost in mac os because my mic is very low.

hello to all, for before the time I have installed the 10.4.6 in my PC. all it goes well except the audio card. the chipset it is via vt8251 and alc653. I do not know a lot, therefore if you help me you write step step the one which I must write.hi

The second breakthrough, and that on my first day here! Thanks a bunch, pattjin :)

You guys are... unbelievable (in the best meaning of the word :)

This one gave me stereo on JaS 10.4.8 combo (sse3 intel), upgraded from bezeek's iso (which both

worked flawlessy for me, huge thanks go out to both of them!)

The audio device (from dxdiag):

Name: C-Media AC97 Audio Device

Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_97611849&REV_60\3&267A616A&0&8D

I listen to STEREO music while I write this :)

As I use headphones, having had only one channel was a bit problematic :blink:

But now it works fine here :D

Many thanks to everyone involved in this project! If the experience continues like this I'll be forced to buy a 'real' Mac :D

Edit: I forgot the originator of this first. Sorry, pattjin

The second breakthrough, and that on my first day here!

You guys are... unbelievable (in the best meaning of the word :blink:

This one gave me stereo on JaS 10.4.8 combo (sse3 intel), upgraded from bezeek's iso (which both

worked flawlessy for me, huge thanks go out to both of them!)

The audio device (from dxdiag):

Name: C-Media AC97 Audio Device

Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_97611849&REV_60\3&267A616A&0&8D

I listen to STEREO music while I write this :)

As I use headphones, having had only one channel was a bit problematic :)

But now it works fine here :D

Many thanks to everyone involved in this project! If the experience continues like this I'll be forced to buy a 'real' Mac :D

Nice . glad its working for you and your happy with OS X :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I need help. First i have a AMD 3000+ (sse2) with an MSI K8MM-V mobo. The sound is VIA VT1617A. Everything else works fine. I installed fom the JAS 10.4.6 dvd rom. for the life of me i cannot get sound to work at all. when i go to the sound control panel, it says no audio devices, i have looked and looked thought this forum and tried various combinations of the .kext. but nothing. does anyone that have the same sound chipset and has audio working help me out? thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I would be completely hosed on sound and video without some of you guys like JaS, Crisaw and all of the other guys that refused to give up and did whatever was necessary to get stuff working. After the 3rd install of 10.4.6 HOT ISO with the JaS 10.4.8 SSE 2 combo update and the SSE 3 updater I finally got almost everything working perfectly. My scanner is the only thing that doesn't work but I am working on it.

The trick of just replacing just the AppleAC97AudioVIA file in the plugin kext got my sound working in stereo.

Callisto 008 did the trick for the Radeon X800XT Platinum (No QE or CI but I'm still working on it.) Sees the correct chip and all 256MB ram. USB isn't perfect, but it works most of the time. Doesn't see all the ports and doesn't always pick up inserted devices.

One thing I still trying to figure out, is how to get 10.4.8 with the SSE2 and SSE3 updates to correctly recognise my processor. It is a Prescott P4 3.0 Ghz, and with HT turned in it shows up as 2 1.5 Ghz chips and with it turned off, it see it as 1 1.5.

Is there a fix for that?

Dual Boot OS X x86 10.4.8 and Windows XP using chain0.

P4 3.0 GHZ w/ HT

ECS PT800CE-A Motherboard.

USB 2.0 (with 2 hubs)

ATI Radeon X800XT Platinum 256MB AGP.

1 Ghz PC3200 RAM

1 WD 120GB ATA

1 Seagate 120GB ATA

1 Maxtor 80GB ATA

BTC DRW1004IM DVD R/RW drive.

M-Audio Keystation 61e midi controller

VIA 8237

ViaRhineII onboard lan

ALC655 audio.

Belkin F5D7000 (Broadcom 4320 chipset)

Hauppauge Win-TV and SB Audigy 2 ZX both unrecognised by the PCI bus.

If I can help anyone else with similar hardware config, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
Copy and paste the new file to /System/Library/Extensions/. Choose authenticate in the dialog and enter your password. Replace the file.

Then open Terminal and type:

sudo -s

(enter your password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

(no problem if one or both files don't exist)

chown -R root:wheel *.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

(exit terminal)

Applications > Disk Utility > select your volume and repair permissions

Quit and reboot.

That's exactly what i did and it worked like a charm.

did exactly that, but nothing happened, i have Realtek ALC655 @ SiS 7012 Audio Device PCI

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7012&SUBSYS_1B101019&REV_A0

can someone help me, i dont have sound at all, the drivers rnt even showing in the MIDI utility,

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: Realtek AC97 Audio

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7012&SUBSYS_1B101019&REV_A0

Manufacturer ID: 65535

Product ID: 65535

Type: WDM

Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS

Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5300 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Date and Size: 7/15/2006 17:00:54, 462684 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0xF5F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 192000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 32

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 32

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: Yes

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

I3DL2 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: All tests were successful.

[\quote]

this is my sound cards info, can someone tell me if its compatible with JaS 10.4.7? thanks?

Edited by com3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everybady, it works avesome i'm using last JaS 10.4.8 release on K8V -mx Audio VEN 1106 DEV 3059

I Just copied AppleAC97Audio.kext in extension folder, repair permisions in with terminal and then one more time with disk utility and it workd wit no problemo :unsure:

What is changed on the AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext anyway? Because, if it was possible to make 2.0 work maybe with some more editing it could be possible to make 4.0 or - dreaming - 5.1 work...

JaS, could you put it on your next repack?

It worked perfectly on your las 10.4.8 and all that was need was to pu the AppleAC97AudioVia.kext provided here inside AppleAC97Audio.kext`s Plugins.

Does anyone knows what was changed on the file?

Hi, Its the way it should be... the patch doesn't suppor 4 separate channels, only 2 => 4 channel stereo redirection...

So, if you plu the mic on mic in, it will work as a mic, and if you plug your rear sound soundbox on rear plug it will make stereo go trough there, so you can listen to stereo tracks on the 4 soundboxes.

Can you please make a

sudo su
dmesg

on the terminal windows and past the result here or at the mod's topic for me please?

I intend to get it better, and make it work for everyone, it will be helpfull if you do.

Also chek if there is no AC97 2->4 line on your dmesg

tnx

AppleAC97CodecAD198x: 2-to-4 channel spreading enabled

that's my dmsg on Asus K8V-MX

thin is that mic and spicers work licke it should spikers in green jeck mick in red, but whatever is played in spicers, any sound, its going in mic, it fills licke bouth jeks out and in works licke in/out