Sharing drives in OSX?

10 posts in this topic

Hey, just searching the forum for an answer to this prob, if youve got the answer makes no sense to start a new post.

can you please post how you did this..i have an external hard drive connected to my intel mac and i want to be able to access it from my windows xp pro comp via windows file sharing....or another easy method.

thanks alot

matt

You have to set both machines for file sharing and for them both to be on the workgroup "WORKGROUP". Then you cick Go -> Connect to Server and type "smb://(windows ip)" without the quotes

Which would be fine if the thread starter wanted to share the Windows hard drive with the Mac. He wants to do just the opposite. He needs to use SharePoints, which he can find on Google.

edit: I just noticed that SharePoints is what aqualeviathan linked to in his post. And yes, that will do what the thread starter needs to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used SharePoints and have noticed a few things in which some of them are irritating the heck out of me:

• Allows Windows (smb://) and Mac (afp://) protocols
  • With Panther, Mac protocol *sometimes* works on Panther
  • With Tiger, using the Mac protocol doesn't give me what I want; It persistently shows me the same folders: (computer name) and "Macintosh HD".
  • Using the Windows protocol, I was able to do so.
  • SharePoints feature where one could disable a user account's Home and "Macintosh HD" default network mounts, does not work. Both still shows up.

Does this mean I have to use Mac OS X Server?

• 4 months later...