[Guide] HP Pavilion dv3540es - 3500 series. Leopard Retail 10.5.8

Ed_Saxman

210 posts in this topic

Hi again.

Really strange. I used the OSX Tools and dumped info about my hardware. My hardware is exactly like yours:

What the heck is the problem here.

The only difference i can se is that I use the 10.5.6 Retail CD while you used an earlier version? right?

*Confused*

Btw. How the hell do you type the @ sign,, Alt-gr-2 (the usual here in sweden) doesn't work

This evening I also installed Leo 10.5.6 retail, using exacly same kexts and all works like the first times installing 10.5.0 and then upgrade to .6, so this aren´t being the difference. ( The Only difference: I needed to install ps2keboard fix from my osx on other partition becouse usb keyb & mice didn´t work on the first start. All the rest, was exactly the same)

I can remember 1 time happened the same like you are relating but it was becouse I didn´t installed "osxessentials" fix on uInstaller, then I upgraded.

Go back to uInstaller and try checking again the "osxessentials" fix and chameleon. Install both again.

Be sure you´re installing to correct partition.

Otherwise, I don´t know what are happening.... If you have same hardware..

Be sure you´re following the steps on the guide in the same order.

This evening I also installed Leo 10.5.6 retail, using exacly same kexts and all works like the first times installing 10.5.0 and then upgrade to .6, so this aren´t being the difference. ( The Only difference: I needed to install ps2keboard fix from my osx on other partition becouse usb keyb & mice didn´t work on the first start. All the rest, was exactly the the same)

I can remember 1 time happened the same like you are relating but it was becouse I didn´t installed "osxessentials" fix on uInstaller, then I upgraded.

Go back to uInstaller and try checking again the "osxessentials" fix and chameleon. Install both again.

I can confirm that this was my problem I reinstalled the uInstaller. Here what I did,

1) choose my hdd

2) choose Osx86_essentials

3) checked Apply Kext Package

4) checked install PC_EFI_v9 Chameleon Edition 1.0.12

5) checked apply ethernet EFI String

6) Click install

i know this is very verbose but hopefully it will help you out. I can now boot to mac from my vista boot loader without any problems ;)

^Haha, I did the exact same thing today. Bootloader was getting stuck, and I realized I didn't check that part. I did that and it worked!

Unfortunately, I did that last, so I think it broke everything. I did get the video to work with full QE/CI though! I'll try your guide again from the beginning and install the bootloader first and post back with results. I can also test the card reader and the HDMI.

By the way, thank you so much for this guide Ed Saxman Bcn, if it weren't for your input and hard work I would've thought this was hopeless. This laptop is really turning out to be quite an ideal OSX86 machine. Once I retry this guide, I will give the BIOS flash a try and post back with results.

^Haha, I did the exact same thing today. Bootloader was getting stuck, and I realized I didn't check that part. I did that and it worked!

Unfortunately, I did that last, so I think it broke everything. I did get the video to work with full QE/CI though! I'll try your guide again from the beginning and install the bootloader first and post back with results. I can also test the card reader and the HDMI.

By the way, thank you so much for this guide Ed Saxman Bcn, if it weren't for your input and hard work I would've thought this was hopeless. This laptop is really turning out to be quite an ideal OSX86 machine. Once I retry this guide, I will give the BIOS flash a try and post back with results.

I just tested hdmi on my tv and I am happy to report that video works :( It extends the desktop, only thing that does not work is sound threw hdmi which I didn't expect to work in the first place. Its starting to look like we got ourselves a macbook. I hope your bios flash goes well and we can have ourselves internal wireless :) Good Luck!

Yeh man, I´m using the conceptronic C54RU , with this drivers. It´s working becouse it have an Ralink chip. Maybe another brands also have another one with same chip, but I don´t know.

I would help, but since your laptop isn´t exactly the same, you may need to change some kexts...but:

You can Try recording the pack and the utilities on a CD. Copy the drivers folder to the desktop and then Install the drivers. Maybe after the first 2 drivers installation, your USBs will work.

To your camera, try the free software "Camtwist", I´ve heard its works for some DV5 users...

and thank you for the advice about the broken link. Now is online again.

Everything works fine except the problem I told you about.

It seems the webcam is connected as USB2 device where USB2 allows other devices to plug and detected by OS X. I found this since I tried to install the pre-customized DVD (iDeneb 1.4) and it works fine.

Unfortunately, when I need to plug my usb flash memory, the system start freezing, and has to be restarted!

My USB keyboard works fine once I plug it before I start the computer, but when I unplug it and connect it again, it won't be detected so I have to restart system

Do you think I have to do something with my BIOS firmware or not?

Or it is something has to be done like any other kext patches!

Thanks for your help

This evening I also installed Leo 10.5.6 retail, using exacly same kexts and all works like the first times installing 10.5.0 and then upgrade to .6, so this aren´t being the difference. ( The Only difference: I needed to install ps2keboard fix from my osx on other partition becouse usb keyb & mice didn´t work on the first start. All the rest, was exactly the the same)

Hey.

My misstake.. I didn´t check the "Apply Kext package" the first time i run the Universal OSx86 installer. I redid it now and now both ethernet and sound works !

The only thing i want now is wireless :blink:

Many thanks for all your help !

My misstake.. I didn´t check the "Apply Kext package" the first time i run the Universal OSx86 installer. I redid it now and now both ethernet and sound works !

The only thing i want now is wireless :blink:

Many thanks for all your help !

Great!!

Now, to replace WIFI card, we need that superfluke confims again if the BIOS for the N50VC is the right one.. I would to try, but its a risky thing, and I need to be absolutly sure it will work...

Everything works fine except the problem I told you about.

It seems the webcam is connected as USB2 device where USB2 allows other devices to plug and detected by OS X. I found this since I tried to install the pre-customized DVD (iDeneb 1.4) and it works fine.

Unfortunately, when I need to plug my usb flash memory, the system start freezing, and has to be restarted!

My USB keyboard works fine once I plug it before I start the computer, but when I unplug it and connect it again, it won't be detected so I have to restart system

Do you think I have to do something with my BIOS firmware or not?

Or it is something has to be done like any other kext patches!

Thanks for your help

Yeh man, since you have an DV4000 series, and this guide is intended for DV3500 series, some kext will not work with your machine. Install osX86 tools and clic on "View pci devices" It will help you to found your specific kexts.

I just tested hdmi on my tv and I am happy to report that video works smile.gif It extends the desktop, only thing that does not work is sound threw hdmi which I didn't expect to work in the first place. Its starting to look like we got ourselves a macbook. I hope your bios flash goes well and we can have ourselves internal wireless smile.gif Good Luck!

Great!! I didn´t expected too!!

One more thing: Can all of you that were success whith my guide post your laptop model and the country where are you from? just to include supported series in the main post

Great!!

Now, to replace WIFI card, we need that superfluke confims again if the BIOS for the N50VC is the right one.. I would to try, but its a risky thing, and I need to be absolutly sure it will work...

Yeh man, since you have an DV4000 series, and this guide is intended for DV3500 series, some kext will not work with your machine. Install osX86 tools and clic on "View pci devices" It will help you to found your specific kexts.

Great!! I didn´t expected too!!

One more thing: Can all of you that were success whith my guide post your laptop model and the country where are you from? just to include supported series in the main post

Hey man.

After very good help from you, my machine is now up and running. My model is:

HP Pavilion dv3550eo (EN, DK, NO, FI, SE) HP PartNo FT221EA/UUW bought in Sweden.

Everything you specify in your list works for me to. I have also tested the card reader (SD) and it works to :)

Thanks again for a very good tutorial, I couln't have done it without you!

// Liddan

Yes, we need 100% confirmation that the N50Vc BIOS is the correct one please. I'll give it a go if this can be confirmed 100%.

EDIT: I followed your guide from the beginning til the end, and it worked flawlessly. Thanks a ton man! Another dv3510nr fully working!

Hey i just found this program called shades on the forums don't know if you guys are interested but it'll help us out since we don't have brightness control. I don't think it will actually help battery life but our screen wont be burning our eyes lol. Heres the Site where i got it. And if anyones interested I ordered a OBHD(Optical Bay Hard Drive), should get here tommorrow ima test it out and ill get back to you with more info.

http://airodump.net/hewlett-packard-bios-hacking/

Applies to DV2000 series, but it will probably work for us. It's much less risky since you're only changing a few numbers. I'll give it a try soon and if it works with the BCM4311, I'll post a hacked BIOS for that card.

But... these tutorial is intended to an HP with phoenix BIOS.... We have Insyde BIOS.

HP has switched to "Insyde" BIOS for their newer model laptops they are producing and are not using Phoenix anymore.

As of right now there is not a Insyde BIOS editor so it is not possible to open up the bios and try to patch the whitelist.

So you can forget this way...

You can't mod an Insyde bios without decompress it.

The Asus bios work perfectly, the wireless button , mulitmedia buttons works too!

You must flash all blocks, you can use asus utility or Unifash.

My laptop is dv3525ef, the motherboard is the same to others but

before to flash, please make a bios recover floppy disk and test it.

I´ve tried with the asus Aflash2 utility (msDos) on a pendrive, and with asus Winflash utility on win7...

And I was unable to get that crappy software working.

I´ve found this: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...history_state0=

It´s the same software that the acer one 150 users are using on their v3309 bios uptade, but this version are in english, instead of chinese.

But this software didn´t want to load the n50vs bios...

About insyde bios: http://www.logic.nl/Products/Category/Embe...tware/BIOS.aspx

It´s seems an EFI bios ¿? http://www.insydesw.com/products/products-efi-wave.htm

http://www.logic.nl/Products/Technology/BIOS-and-EFI.aspx

Superfluke: Can´t you talk with your friend, and post here the complete procedure and files required to flash our BIOS safely??

We don´t want a mac-brick!!

The utility may not work on a USB stick or a CD. You should probably run it from a floppy (the USB should work in theory, but it doesn't for a lot of computers). And if you want to use Windows to flash it, you should probably use XP 32-bit, as it is much more stable than Windows 7.

The utility may not work on a USB stick or a CD. You should probably run it from a floppy (the USB should work in theory, but it doesn't for a lot of computers). And if you want to use Windows to flash it, you should probably use XP 32-bit, as it is much more stable than Windows 7.

Do you mean from the laptop itdelf running XP? Or do you mean run it from another cause I can't get the laptop to run XP.

Yes, the laptop should be running XP for the flasher, but Vista 32-bit might work if Vista 64-bit can't flash it. The flashing utilities that run off floppies and only use DOS have a much lower chance of failing though, so I'd recommend that over using a flasher that is run off of any version of Windows. The laptop doesn't have an internal floppy drive, but a USB floppy drive should work just fine.

Today I spoke with HP tech support, and the response to replace the wifi card has been: "we do not give any support to the replacement of any component, and there is no alternative BIOS available."

I also asked the procedure to make a backup of the BIOS, and got the same answer.

Even if you flash the BIOS with the official update from HP, they say that you do at your own risk, and if something fails, you'll need to repair your laptop out of warranty.

Actually flashing the bios is a risky process, and I´m not going to do until I have guarantees about the procedure to follow and more information about making a backup, or the method to recover the BIOS if everything else fails.

Other brands of notebooks are actually offering information about this, but not HP. They sell you a computer where you don´t have any chance to replace anything, and if something fails, then your only option is sent your laptop to repair, out of warranty.

HP's current policy is an absolute shame.

That's nothing short of scandalous :/

I'd understand about flashing this ASUS BIOS, but if updating a BIOS that they provide (because there was something wrong with the old one) voids the warranty, then I'll never look into buying another HP again.

HP also tends to be full of {censored}. Different reps will tell you different things (some of them claim any wifi card will work while others will say only the Intel 5100 will work). Since there are methods to recover the old HP laptop BIOS's, I'm sure there's a way to recover the BIOS for this one too. If I can confirm that and get a working BIOS floppy that can restore the old one if the ASUS one fails, then I'll be glad to try it.

First - If you have a problem when you flashing your bios, (original or not, you don't have to mention you have flashed with a non official).

HP must repair your laptop, if it is under garantee

Second: A recover procedure is possible, you need an usb floppy device and original bios.

You can see on that thread, one of them recover his insyde bios.

Third: It exist a tool to decompress insyde bios but it can't decompress hp bios :-(

INSYDE TOOL

Fourth: A BIOS is designed for a platform (Northbridge ,Southbridge, Super I/O ) , the constructor don't change the bios if the soundcard or the webcam change, the only one device who must be the same is the graphical card because its firmware is embedded in the bios.

Superfluke:

If you are the one and only who has achieved success with flashing the BIOS, why not write a little guide for us?

Isn´t it possible that your friend who flashed the bios on your laptop, explain you the whole procedure?

We are looking for information that only you could provide.

Please man, give us that knowledge.

I tested another bios from COMPAL JHT90( centrino2+9300GS) , this is a centrino2 generic bios,

I guarantee you it work on DV3500 series!!!

It have NB9M embedded firm and it is a wonderfull Phoenix bios!!

who can be edited by phoenixbios tool to change logo!!

The Flasher is in the archive!

You must flash all blocks.

THE NO WHITELIST BIOS

TESTED ON DV3525 and work on any DV3500 series and any centrino2 (PM45 + ICH9-M) with nvidia 93OO GS!!

Don't flash with an empty battery and do this only after a coldboot with a bootable usb disk key formated with fat32.