Install Safari 4 on 10.5.5?

drumthrasher109

8 posts in this topic

I tried to install Safari 4 and it said I had to have 10.5.6. I'm still on 10.5.5, so is there a way I can edit the installer to install on 10.5.5?

"Why don't you just upgrade to 10.5.6"? Because I haven't found a definite tutorial on how to do so on an AMD system.

Install the disabler kext, install the update, and install the voodoo kernel before rebooting. Done.

Well...you can...by editing SystemVersion.plist. in System/Library/CoreServices. Seting ProductUserVisibleVersion and ProductVersion to 10.5.6. allows you to install 10.5.6 updates including security update without a real 10.5.6. and install Safari 4 beta.

But... as far as I know at least on my machine Top Sites does not work if Safari 4 is installed this way and I do not know what impact does installation of Security update 2009 leaves on 10.5.5. without real update to 10.5.6.

I you want to try do it at your own risk.

*However the error message for Top sites is similar to this one for 10.5.6. in the following thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...40&tstart=0

Problem solved :P Hello Safari & Top Sites

Procedure I used:

1) Change system version to 10.5.6 as described in post above

2) Install Security update 2009-001 via Software update

3) Download 10.5.6 delta from Apple

4) Download Pacifist 2.5.2

5) Using Pacifist extract and update QuartzCore.framework from 10.5.6 (navigate to QuartzCore.framework and press install. Upon request press replace files)

6) Install Safari 4.0 Beta Leo :(

7) Change back system version to 10.5.5

Still testing, but so far I do not find any problems with my system.

I did not installed 10.5.6 cause it slows down my system startup and my mobo has some USB issues related to 10.5.6.

P.S. Anyway, this worked for me but if you want to give it a try do it at your own risk.

• 4 months later...

Hi, but I am not seeing the security update in software update when i change my system version to 10.5.6. Any help?

Problem solved :) Hello Safari & Top Sites

Procedure I used:

1) Change system version to 10.5.6 as described in post above

2) Install Security update 2009-001 via Software update

3) Download 10.5.6 delta from Apple

4) Download Pacifist 2.5.2

5) Using Pacifist extract and update QuartzCore.framework from 10.5.6 (navigate to QuartzCore.framework and press install. Upon request press replace files)

6) Install Safari 4.0 Beta Leo :thumbsup_anim:

7) Change back system version to 10.5.5

Still testing, but so far I do not find any problems with my system.

I did not installed 10.5.6 cause it slows down my system startup and my mobo has some USB issues related to 10.5.6.

P.S. Anyway, this worked for me but if you want to give it a try do it at your own risk.

• 11 months later...