Radeon hd 4850/4870 and Core i7 now working with leopard

netkas

22 posts in this topic

Dude a 512 4870 is about the same price

Alec

Exactly!

Well, no, I guess not exactly. I could get a 9800GTX+ for £100, or £113 for the Asus. About the price of a 4850 (in the UK) but a little faster on 55% of games and less power hungry, I think, so I wouldn't need to buy a 700W PSU unless I become a hardcore games player. Still, it's a tough decision! Looks like from what Netkas is saying, the 4850 is the more compatible, with the 4870 being stuck at a fixed resolution. This is starting to get interesting!

And don't get me started on how much I hate it that in America people have mail in rebates on so many things, where we rarely do!

Exactly!

Well, no, I guess not exactly. I could get a 9800GTX+ for £100, or £113 for the Asus. About the price of a 4850 (in the UK) but a little faster on 55% of games and less power hungry, I think, so I wouldn't need to buy a 700W PSU unless I become a hardcore games player. Still, it's a tough decision! Looks like from what Netkas is saying, the 4850 is the more compatible, with the 4870 being stuck at a fixed resolution. This is starting to get interesting!

And don't get me started on how much I hate it that in America people have mail in rebates on so many things, where we rarely do!

the 4850 is faster than the 9800gtx and slower than the 9800gtx+ in most cases

With the 4850 or 4870 I would have to buy a new power supply. I would be pushing it with the 9800GTX+, as is. I have a quality Cooler Master 450w, which probably isn't workable; 500w is the advised minimum, 600w recommended. The 4850 just hit the £100 mark, £17 less than the Asus 9800GTX+. That's £17 that I could put toward a decent power supply but... who am I kidding, I would want to go the whole hog and get a 4870. Getting ahead of myself, though, hahaha! 10.5.7 isn't out yet and from the little I heard a tester with a 4870 was stuck at just one resolution. I just took another peek at Netkas's site. What a guy! :( Looks like early pioneering days, yet. Exciting stuff. 9800GTX+ might be a good stopgap, for some.

With the 4850 or 4870 I would have to buy a new power supply. I would be pushing it with the 9800GTX+, as is. I have a quality Cooler Master 450w, which probably isn't workable; 500w is the advised minimum, 600w recommended. The 4850 just hit the £100 mark, £17 less than the Asus 9800GTX+. That's £17 that I could put toward a decent power supply but... who am I kidding, I would want to go the whole hog and get a 4870. Getting ahead of myself, though, hahaha! 10.5.7 isn't out yet and from the little I heard a tester with a 4870 was stuck at just one resolution. I just took another peek at Netkas's site. What a guy! :( Looks like early pioneering days, yet. Exciting stuff. 9800GTX+ might be a good stopgap, for some.

I am using 4850 with a 450W Corsair power supply. I overclock the CPU and GPU, both are working fine. Check your system power needs here:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Huh? You don't need a 700W PSU for anything except SLI/Crossfire. A 500W is fine - get a PCI-x 6 pin adapter and you're set.

A 4870 @ $150 is clearly the best value around. Amazing power for the price! 1 Teraflop FTW!

Detosx, if u planning to get 4850/4870, be sure to get card wit sandart ports (2 dvi and one svideo (svideo - doesnt really matter))
Thanks for that! I will look into it. You sure do make the OS X uuniverse a fun place to be. One of the big stars. I will eagerly keep looking out for news! :)

Huh? You don't need a 700W PSU for anything except SLI/Crossfire. A 500W is fine - get a PCI-x 6 pin adapter and you're set.

A 4870 @ $150 is clearly the best value around. Amazing power for the price! 1 Teraflop FTW!

The pound is weak against the dollar at the moment but $150?! Wow, that's £106. The cheapest I have seen a 4870, over here, is £164, which is $251. I have tended to go by the PSU ratings listed by resellers online, though I imagine they are covering their back against overclockers and the like? If anyone knows of a quiet running card, let me know! ;) I am using quiet case fans but... I think I got too used to my silent Mac Mini!

aed0101! Thank you for the link :D

ATI just announced a price drop - 4870 is now $150, and a 4850 is $120.

Link please I dont see news of this

• 2 weeks later...
With 10.5.7 ati driver it's finaly possible to get radeon hd 4850/4870 to work in leopard, it has some bugs yeah, but u can get it working fine.

ALso, 10.5.7 vanila kernel now works fine on core i7 (on gigabyte mobo, it wasnt working before).

more at http://netkas.org

where i can found that kext for my ati??

• 3 weeks later...