S-Video working on Radeon HD3870

mcsmart

10 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

I wanted to let you know that the S-Video output of my Radeon HD3870 is working. I now have an external television connected and I can use FrontRow on it (with a free application called "TV Row"). In fact the HD3870 is probably one of the best cards you can get for your Hackintosh. The device id (0x9501) is already in the vanilla kext so all you need is Natit.

Notice: S-Video out does only work with newer framebuffers (tested with Megalodon). It does not work with Lamna or older ones.

My card: MSI RX3870-T2D512E-OC (the stock fan is pretty loud - you might want to replace it with a new cooler and a 120mm fan).

More H/W specs in my signature. ;)

- mcsmart

PS: Special thanks go to netkas!

post-109203-1235496937_thumb.png

First, congratulation. I hope that now you didn't left without chalenges and you will only watch TV. :wacko:

And second, I have one question. I also have Sapphire ATI 3870 which works fine with Natit, but it works with Lamna framebufer and ATI2000.kext, which is supposed to do as it's written in plist. How did you manage to use new framebufer Megalodon with Natit? Also, did you try with efi strings without Natit.

Thank you for any suggestion.

How did you manage to use new framebufer Megalodon with Natit? Also, did you try with efi strings without Natit.

I just downloaded the current pkg installer (see the forum of IRC), extracted Natit from it and replaced the old version of Natit with the newer one. :)

I am not using EFI Strings, because Natit is much easier to keep updated.

- mcsmart

Ok, you encuraged me. I didn't find new natit, su I manualy changed references in info plist from Lamna to Megalodon. Now I have loaded Megalodon framebufer.

Do you have some kind power menegment of gpu card or are fans working all the time?

I didn't find new natit, su I manualy changed references in info plist from Lamna to Megalodon.

You would have just needed to check my ATI Radeon HD post :D But if you have Magalodon you should be good.

About the powermanagement: I cannot tell. I put an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 on my card and mounted a 120mm fan on it. The fan is controlled by my power supply. This way my card (actually my entire PC) is silent. If your Radeon HD is too loud, the Accelero really is THE cooler to get :)

- mcsmart

Did you checked temperature of GPU? And do you have special fan (like Arctic cooler turbo module)?

In Win***s my GPU has a temperature of max. 40°C after heavy gaming. I do not use a special fan, but as I said: I put a 120mm fan on the cooler. This is almost silent and does a perfect job. It uses a lot of space though.

I do not recommend the AC fans. They are almost as loud as a stock fan.

- mcsmart

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i have a MSI 3870 pcie card. It was cheap and very quite. I have use EFI-STUDIO Extended and the newestet driver, but video out won`t be work.

Can you write a howto please, what step do you have to.

I have try to remove natit and extentions.mkext manualy and cp natit from install package, boot with -x into safe mode for repair extentsion.mkext but still the same problem.

i hope you can help

Thx

Best regards

David

Hello everybody!

I wanted to let you know that the S-Video output of my Radeon HD3870 is working. I now have an external television connected and I can use FrontRow on it (with a free application called "TV Row"). In fact the HD3870 is probably one of the best cards you can get for your Hackintosh. The device id (0x9501) is already in the vanilla kext so all you need is Natit.

Notice: S-Video out does only work with newer framebuffers (tested with Megalodon). It does not work with Lamna or older ones.

My card: MSI RX3870-T2D512E-OC (the stock fan is pretty loud - you might want to replace it with a new cooler and a 120mm fan).

More H/W specs in my signature. :P

- mcsmart

PS: Special thanks go to netkas!

• 3 weeks later...