[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

i've found it but what is better in you opinion.....

cool, let me go through this and give you a list of what you need to check later today. I think this will certainly be less painful than retail. but if you already have retail experience then either way is fine. remember that either way you will never have complete vanilla with your hardware.

what would this limit me to??

with the gma950 you will only be able to get deep sleep (provided you have pcefi9 installed). "normal" sleep will not work. your cpu always requires a special kernel that allows both cores because the bios/board are older. people have problems with the broadcom ethernet (including myself). your microphone will not work (there may be a fix at some point).

here is what I would check upon iPC installation, pcefi9 is already installed by default.

- Base System

- 9.5.0 voodoo kernel

- intel gma950

- sigmatel 9200

- voodoopower

- seatbelt.kext 10.5.5

- ps/2 keyboard fix

- applesmbiosefi

app:

- osx86 tools utility

- kext helper b7

- pacifist

note: after the installation you may get a black screen after boot but system is alive (I've read that people have problems with the above gma950 driver). turn off, attach an external monitor (hope you got one), reboot and use sonotone's patcher and apply the gma950 patch, shut down, unplug external monitor and reboot. this installs a script that wakes the gma950 from sleep (black screen). You need a login that requires password, otherwise the script will not work correctly. deep sleep will work if you set your hibernatemode to 1 or 5. we do that later.

if there are other things not working we take them at a time and fix them with sonotones patcher. let's do the rest in pm.

I am not sure right now which chipset to use. I normally left this blank but pcwiz says that one needs to pick one if non-vanilla kernel is chose. certainly an intel. I'd say it's the "intel ichx sata drivers and the intel ich10 sata support. I don't think it hurts if you check both.

ahh, the dreaded "you got the blues news" from apple. did you try to boot with one of the following options?

a) platform=X86PC -v

b ) platform=ACPI -v

c) -x -v

d) -f -v

also look at this and this (Q1.5)

I swear there is a thread somewhere on the forum that is dedicated just to this problem but I cannot find it, sorry.

also, you list your partitions, are you sure that is the logical order of them in the partition table? you may want to try s1 or s0 also

and more. seems like others with Ideneb 10.5.5 have similar problems, look here

Hi TheGreatDeceiver, i tried ALL of those suggestions on the pages....

Except for the one where the guy was deleting some kext's, i did not have any of the kext files that he was deleting and i could not find any which made sense to delete...

I took a screenshot of my -v output...

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/1306/1003229ts5.jpg

If you think i can do anything else, please let me know!

Thanks

Kwikk...

that is a very awesome reply my man!!! i must say it sounds like you know your stuff. did you just spit that out off the top of your head?? if so my 710 could use a lil bit of a how to also.. :) so when i shut the lid, it will sleep but will just be deep sleep?

remember that I have the same system, so I've been through the same questions. yes, when I shut my lid or use the menu for sleep it goes into deep sleep. the notebook writes the current system to hdd. when you reboot you will see kernel wake! and you have your notebook back where you left it. one small problem is that you will be greeted with a black screen, just move your mouse into the top right corner and it will wake the darn gma950. for my xps400 I used a separate hdd to install osx to. disabled all but this hdd and installed leopard, added all other hdds back in bios after install and then added leo to vista's bootloader and used tboot to dual boot. got rid of it though after a while. I have dual monitor setup and leopard would only do one with my ati card.

Hi TheGreatDeceiver, i tried ALL of those suggestions on the pages....

If you think i can do anything else, please let me know!

Thanks

Kwikk...

not much here. when I do a search on this I get tons of posts with this problem, just in the New Releases section. some with screen captures just like yours (see dxbydt's post on the search page). I'd say the correct chipset driver wasn't installed. sorry I can't help you.

not much here. when I do a search on this I get tons of posts with this problem, just in the New Releases section. some with screen captures just like yours (see dxbydt's post on the search page). I'd say the correct chipset driver wasn't installed. sorry I can't help you.

Hi TheGreatDeceiver,

Thanks for your help so far.. i put back in the iDeneb 10.5.5. Install DVD, and tried again (applying a few fixes), and now it seems i am getting further. Its finding the disk partition now, and appears to boot... but then fails at :

Package 0 didn't get an HPET
panic (cpu 0 caller 0x1af58b9c) : "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement
Debugger called: 
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x1af83f08 : 0x12b0fa (0x4592a4 0x1af83f3c 0x133243 0x0)
0x1af83f58 : 0x1af58b9c (0x1af5b894 0x0 0xbd270d0c 0x4)
0x1af883fc8 : 0x19ebdc (0x0 0x0 0x1a20b5 0x23322e8)
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies) :
com.apple.drever.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (9.39.0)@0x1af52000->0x1af6bfff

I remember that i installed a "Power Management" fix, so maybe i'll try deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for a start...

Any other suggestions?

EDIT : Ok, i booted into the drive using the iDeneb DVD.

I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and did a kextcache -c

Now it seems to be booting the whole way....... BUT

I can't see anything after it switches from the text mode....

It just stays BLACK, but i can see alot of hard drive activity.

I have an Intel 945GM Graphics Card.

Any ideas on what i should do???

EDIT : Ok, i booted into the drive using the iDeneb DVD.

I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and did a kextcache -c

Now it seems to be booting the whole way....... BUT

I can't see anything after it switches from the text mode....

It just stays BLACK, but i can see alot of hard drive activity.

I have an Intel 945GM Graphics Card.

Any ideas on what i should do???

first: your card is a gma950, the chipset on the card is 945.

great you got it fixed, boot into the os with either an external monitor or try to boot with -x. once in there install the gma950 fix from sonotone. your screen is black because the gma950 is in sleep mode. once you are in the OS either with an external monitor or via -x use expose/spaces to assign one corner to make your monitor sleep. once you have that and you reboot normal you will be greeted with a black screen again. move your mouse into the assigned corner, back to the screen area (gotta do this blind) and the monitor will wake up. you may have to wait a little before it catches. if you use sonotone's gma950 patch make sure you have a login with password.

btw. why in the world would there be the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext after the install. that is a self killer. not your fault, I am just confused it got installed with the distro you have...

first: your card is a gma950, the chipset on the card is 945.

great you got it fixed, boot into the os with either an external monitor or try to boot with -x. once in there install the gma950 fix from sonotone. your screen is black because the gma950 is in sleep mode. once you are in the OS either with an external monitor or via -x use expose/spaces to assign one corner to make your monitor sleep. once you have that and you reboot normal you will be greeted with a black screen again. move your mouse into the assigned corner, back to the screen area (gotta do this blind) and the monitor will wake up. you may have to wait a little before it catches. if you use sonotone's gma950 patch make sure you have a login with password.

btw. why in the world would there be the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext after the install. that is a self killer. not your fault, I am just confused it got installed with the distro you have...

I've installed 3 times now and each time i have to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in order to get past the Kernel panic. I Guess its just the iDeneb DVD for 10.5.5 it must leave it there. :(

Thanks for the advice on the GMA 950 and external monitor... i'm closer i think.

When i connect the External Monitor nothing appears, until i press Fn + F8 after which the monitor wakes up... BUT.

The screen is garbled... it has a 2 inch Gray Bar on the Left and then Horiztonal Grey Lines going down the right.

If i press Fn + F8 again, it switches to the Laptop display, but its the same.

One thing i DID change for this install, was after you mentioned GMA950 was my card, the iDeneb DVD had 2 patches which i added to this install.

ICH Fix for Intel 7/8/9 boards

GMA950 Fix

I believe the ICH Fix was what actually got me past the original error ("still waiting for root device"), as i had installed that by itself on my 2nd install, and it got me past "still waiting for root device"

On my 3rd install i installed the GMA950 patch, as i thought it might help (i'm not sure if the iDeneb GMA950 patch is the same as sonotones)

Last thing... when i press my monitor info button (during the garbled screen) it says the Laptop is trying to display at 1024 * 768 @ 60Hz

I'm still searching the forums for answers (particularly the Video thread) but if you have any (further) words of wisdom, they are welcome :(

Thanks again man! I'm going to get this thing going if its the last thing i do!

Kwikk

EDIT : Here is my screen. I have tried booting with -x but it does not help!

02022009192ss7.th.jpg

i used ipc and my e1505 is now working except that i cant figure how to set hibernate to what and sleep to whatever so it will wake up for me after it's been shut down for awhile...

i woke up and was all ma....

ok so how do i make sure that i have it all working??? like speed step and dual core support and just in general that my e1505 is running at the best of abilities(and stable)

Hey Guys,

First kiwkk, sounds like you are using the darwin bootloader. Have you tried typing in "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" at the boot loader when you type in -x and see if that works or maybe use a resolution like 800x600 etc?? I know you can also try to edit the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and insert the lines:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280×1024×32</string>

Something to try I guess.

Second (My Question):

I have a real noob question but here goes. After 6-7 reinstalls etc.. I know have osx 10.5.6 (with the voodoo kernel) installed on one partition and 10.5.2 installed on another partition. Now almost all of my hardware is working in 10.5.2, but in 10.5.6 I can't seem to get anything working. I'm really only trying to get my wireless working at this point. I tried to use sonetones (think thats their name) Dell post installer but that has not worked for me.

Is there any way that I could just copy over the kext files from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 and have it work? Or would I also need to change my kernel on 10.5.6? I just want to know if there is any chance of being able to use my existing working config files from 10.5.2 in 10.5.6 to get all my hardware working. Or am I going to have to trawl the forums looking for new/different kexts, etc for 10.5.6 ??

Cheers.

Hey Guys,

First kiwkk, sounds like you are using the darwin bootloader. Have you tried typing in "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" at the boot loader when you type in -x and see if that works or maybe use a resolution like 800x600 etc?? I know you can also try to edit the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and insert the lines:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280×1024×32</string>

Something to try I guess.

Second (My Question):

I have a real noob question but here goes. After 6-7 reinstalls etc.. I know have osx 10.5.6 (with the voodoo kernel) installed on one partition and 10.5.2 installed on another partition. Now almost all of my hardware is working in 10.5.2, but in 10.5.6 I can't seem to get anything working. I'm really only trying to get my wireless working at this point. I tried to use sonetones (think thats their name) Dell post installer but that has not worked for me.

Is there any way that I could just copy over the kext files from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 and have it work? Or would I also need to change my kernel on 10.5.6? I just want to know if there is any chance of being able to use my existing working config files from 10.5.2 in 10.5.6 to get all my hardware working. Or am I going to have to trawl the forums looking for new/different kexts, etc for 10.5.6 ??

Cheers.

what install method did you use for your 10.5.6... ipc...ideneb.. iatkos ???

what is your laptop??

I forgot to put in that info .. i am a noob. ah well.

PC: Dell 1720:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5850

2.16 GHz, 2MB Cache, 667 MHz FSB

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR2 Dedicated Graphic memory

Dell™ Wireless 1395 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card

Install method for 10.5.2 was the iATKOS 10.5.2 install cd.

To install 10.5.6 on the other partition I installed iATKOS 5i which installed 10.5.5 and then booted up in 10.5.2 and from within 10.5.2 I installed the software update onto the other partition which updated it from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6. I also had to delete the power management kext and a few other minor tweaks to get to it boot into 10.5.6 smoothly.

I also tried to use various combinations of drivers from the iATKOS 5i install cd as well as Sonotone's Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.4.1 but with no real success (for my wireless and graphics card at least)

is it throwing up errors at start about kext on you??

sonatones installer broke my install first time up but the on my next fresh install i rebooted with -f (dont know if it matters) and ran sonatones 1.4.1 ?? picked what i needed to work(only what wasnt working) ran it and then opened up osx86tools and pick first 3 options in repair ,,,

repair permissions

repair extensions

delete kext cache

ran it

reastarted normally

LOVED IT!!!

I can boot up into 10.5.6 using -x -f.

Because I have already tried to replace the kext files in 10.5.6 with kext files from my older install and the dell patcher it is now coming up with errors about kext files, but I can still boot up and login.

What I want to know is should I be able to use the kexts from 10.5.6 or will these definately NOT work? And am I better off just looking for drivers for my hardware that others have tested in 10.5.6 or is there anything I can do to use what I already have