[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

I just attempted the install of "Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8" and got this message at the end of the install..

INSTALL FAILED

Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer

The installer could not validate the contents of the "IOUSBFamilyFix" package. Contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Click restart to restart and try installing again.

My system is a DELL INSPIRON 6400 laptop. Any ideas what I can do?

i have the same system and i am running SL!! i did install Kalyway first and it worked great as well.. except for some mouse tearing issue with the ATi card i used to have.

anyways, check this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...474&st=2420

see if that helps any. also be careful as to what packages you choose to install.

i managed to successfully install on a dell 1720 but my alt and ctrl buttons seems to have got swtiched around. Im not sure if this is normal. basically the alt works as the cmd button in osx if im not mistaken. Is there a fix or is this just the way it is ?

my touch pad scroll bar is not working any way of fixing that up ?

thanks much. The guide is probably the best thing for a dell user cheers.

Update

Ok found a partial fix for this i havent rebooted so cant say for sure if it will stick.

Use doublecommand found here and remap the key : http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net

a scroll fix would still be welcome

I sorted out the black screen fix using Screen_Sleeper_Solution_Installer.pkg but now every time i unplug the power adapter the screen starts flickering.. any one have any solutions or any other way of fixing the black screen boot... I also managed to get it working with an old intelappleframebuffer.kext but I had artifacts.

Video Card:

Intel Gma950/945 (27a2)

I sorted out the black screen fix using Screen_Sleeper_Solution_Installer.pkg but now every time i unplug the power adapter the screen starts flickering.. any one have any solutions or any other way of fixing the black screen boot... I also managed to get it working with an old intelappleframebuffer.kext but I had artifacts.

Video Card:

Intel Gma950/945 (27a2)

known problem with old framebuffer. I have similar problem when unplugging psu, however it only flickers for two or three seconds and then is stable. maybe sth in your powermanagement settings.

known problem with old framebuffer. I have similar problem when unplugging psu, however it only flickers for two or three seconds and then is stable. maybe sth in your powermanagement settings.

Yes after a couple of seconds it stopped flickering but then after a few minutes it starts to flicker again. Is there an alternate solution to get the display working? and im running 10.5.8

@TheGreatDeceiver

me 2 my system is much better on 10.6 than 10.5. ive done both updates with zero changes just install and go

BTW do you get 64 bit now?

How do you do to install OSX 10.6 on Inspiron e1705/9400?

Please I need help!!!

Hey guys let me introduce myself,

I'm Tiuno,

All my life I've being using Mac, reall ones but my brother hate them and when he left I get his computer a Dell Inspiron 6400. I look for iPC installed it, most of things works: Bluetooth, Sound, Keyboard, Trackpad and Ethernet but I still have issues with the Wireless and the power management (no battery status) any hint or something.

PD: Where can I get the IOSDHCI kext file please? (I need it pretty much.)

By the way thank you all the Insanely Mac team!

Mac: My adorable computer! xD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all of you Dell owners. I am presenting a routine for genuine installation of SnowLeo without DSDT and I hope this will help others. Three captured images are attached in order to prove the successful installation and upgrade to 10.6.2

A. Packages needed to prepare the computer

A1. BUI (Bootable Utilities Image) with an iPartition fully functional

A2. Genuine Apple Snow Leopard

A3. Bootable CD for Inspiron 6400 (search for it on Insanely)

A4. Download VoodooHDA.kext (for Audio) and VoodooTSCSync.kext (for Intel Core 2 Duo functionality)

A5. Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or even the new one RC4

B. Preparation of the laptop Dell Inspiron 6400

B1. Check on Insanely my description for BIOS settings

B2. Boot on BUI and partition the SATA drive as GPT (GUID) following next instructions:

- start iPartition3 from BUI bootable media (DVD or USB);

- delete all partitions from the hard disk using iPartition3;

- create first partition as MacOSX Extended Journaled with GUID;

- create next partitions (no more than 3) as FAT32 after the first one (here you have to check the option "Visible in Windows" from the right panel for each new FAT32 partition created) - THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL FOR INSTALLING Win7 as a secondary OS;

B3. Mark the 1st partition as active from Terminal;

C. Install Snow Leopard after using and starting the computer on Bootable CD for Inspiron 6400

C1. Start computer with BootCD created for Dell Inspiron 6400

C2. Change the CD with the Snow Leopard DVD

C3. Press F5 in order to recognize the genuine DVD

C4. Start clean installation of Snow (perhaps an ERROR message appears at the end - ignore it and restart);

C5. Restart system keeping the BootCD in the unit for Chameleon options on starting the system;

C6. Create your user with admin&full rights on Snow;

C7. Copy & install the two kexts mentioned at the beginning;

C8. Create and copy the directory Extra/Extensions from the BootCD to the partition where Snow was installed;

C9. Modify and make them identical, all the files com.apple.Boot.plist (in 3 places - the regular in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration ; second in the /Extra subdirectory and third in subdirectory /Extra/Extensions) - you need these modifications in order to start as 32b not 64b;

- include following lines in the plist files after the lines for Kernel Flag:

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

D. Update with 10.6.2 combo package (IF YOU HAVEN'T CHANGED THE com.apple.Boot.plist your screen doesn't start - remain as black screen)

D1. Install the Chameleon 2.0 in order to have a boot selector at boot-time;

D2. If you forgot to make the changes you still can start BUI and you can make the changes with Terminal and sudo nano to edit the plist files.

post-2775-1262023239_thumb.jpg

post-2775-1262023251_thumb.jpg

post-2775-1262023264_thumb.jpg

^^^^^ UMMMMMM

That seems extremely complicated....

I hope you can make it a little more thorough, because it seems like I have to find a lot of stuff on my own that I dont know what I am looking for.

I hope I am not the only one thinking this!

Thanks for your help!

^^^^^ UMMMMMM

That seems extremely complicated....

I hope you can make it a little more thorough, because it seems like I have to find a lot of stuff on my own that I dont know what I am looking for.

I hope I am not the only one thinking this!

Thanks for your help!

it's complicated, but others are not much easier either ;). I am sure it will help some. The easiest way for me still is by using two hdds. Install Snow on one hdd that has two or three partitions, one that will hold future win7. Install win7 on second hdd (swapping hdd temporarily). Use Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost (this will do guid as well) and then restore win7 image to empty partition on OSX hdd.........

happy new year to all insanely inspiron users :)

Hellow everybody and have a good holidays!!!

If anyone can help please:

I have 2 dells 9400:

1. C2D 2ghz, 2GB, GF7900go, A09 bios, iAtkos 10.5.7 voodoo -> 10.5.8 apple online upgrade (not voodoo?)

2. CD 2.16ghz, 2GB, GF7800, A10 bios, iAtkos 10.5.7 voodoo

In both cases I used nenitosoyyo's (THANX MAN!) guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1260600

with one difference, I addad "post install actions" from iAtkos list (the very last tick), and used his modified GF kext for 7900 from same topic and used synth's (THANX 2U2!!!) modified 7800 kext for second dell:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1144162

EVERYTHING working perfect, including 2cores without patch, all sleep(50/50)/rstrt/shtdwn, sound, QE, CI, Rotation, QGL(buggy), DualScreen (VGA) etc. (didn't test FireWire and SD/PCexpressCard, DVI, Svideo)

BUT:

on both machines I have very same graphical issue:

everything is ok until I'm lunching photoshop for instance: as soon as I'm trying to use some tool (crop or gradient for instance) ALL the screen are freezing! Mouse is moving, and system is working (I can shotdown or trig the volume). It stays like this for about a minute or few, and then (in the middle) somthing could happen to muse (it reverses and speeds up), then everything becoming alive, but w. artifacts and noise and some effect similar to when there is no video kext installed (moving of windows are not good - transparency+shadows acting wired). Same happening when I'm trying to watch DVD w. apple DVD player, and in Toast when trying to preview Video_ts folder b4 burning, but w. VLC everything is OK. Adobe Illustrator is OK, Premiere looks OK...

It's seems to be the same, when QGL is forced to be ON w. OSXtools and I'm lunching even Safari or any browser, but not shure.

Any Ideas?

Btw. - there is almost all kext's and ways not supporting QE as stated in many posts including those I'm giving links to... But these 2 I'm using here do support QE...

Thanx in advance!

HAPPY NY AGAIN!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
it's complicated, but others are not much easier either ;) . I am sure it will help some. The easiest way for me still is by using two hdds. Install Snow on one hdd that has two or three partitions, one that will hold future win7. Install win7 on second hdd (swapping hdd temporarily). Use Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost (this will do guid as well) and then restore win7 image to empty partition on OSX hdd.........

happy new year to all insanely inspiron users ;)

Thanks for the happy new year :(

i followed this topic for, about, a week, reading almost the 124 pages and i noted that you are a pro, concerning OSX installation on dell's laptops.

i see that the post is almost dead, btw...

i'm looking only for a simple advice

that's my dell's spec

inspiron 9400

Intel t7200 2.00 ghz

2 gb ram

nvidia geforce 7900 gs

sigmatel 9200

broadcom 440x

intel wireless 3945abg

bluetooth 355 +EDR

what installation you advice for me?

i also have for a few days at my home an IMAC and the original disc of SL, but searching around i was unable to find dedicated kext for my hardware so i'm not sure to reach to install SL

obiously not only the Greatdeceiver's advice are welcome, any others should be precious for a noob like me :)

thank you all

Frattaglia

Thanks for the happy new year :(

inspiron 9400

Intel t7200 2.00 ghz

2 gb ram

nvidia geforce 7900 gs

sigmatel 9200

broadcom 440x

intel wireless 3945abg

bluetooth 355 +EDR

thank you all

Frattaglia

I used noob766's guide. I added info about necessary kexts for Inspiron here. I have seen a new distro by Hazard that installs SL 10.6.2 without an already existing OSX system installed. I'd give that a try first before you dig deep into the other ones.

(Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard.iso)

I used noob766's guide. I added info about necessary kexts for Inspiron here. I have seen a new distro by Hazard that installs SL 10.6.2 without an already existing OSX system installed. I'd give that a try first before you dig deep into the other ones.

(Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard.iso)

TY for reply, i'll try the Hazard's distro and let you know if it works fine for me.

TY for reply, i'll try the Hazard's distro and let you know if it works fine for me.

you can also try the method i used on my e1505. links on my signature. i believe the 9400 is pretty similar to the e1705... which is in turn very similar to the e1505. so, it might be worth a shot, if you ahve access to a SL retail dvd. in the method i used, you dont need a prior OSX on ur laptop or a usb-stick.. or a 2nd hardrive.. or even access to another mac :(

you can also try the method i used on my e1505. links on my signature. i believe the 9400 is pretty similar to the e1705... which is in turn very similar to the e1505. so, it might be worth a shot, if you ahve access to a SL retail dvd. in the method i used, you dont need a prior OSX on ur laptop or a usb-stick.. or a 2nd hardrive.. or even access to another mac ;)

yep, in fact 6400=E1505 and 9400=E1705, different names for business and home. the notebooks are identical.

ps: Although this is irrelevant for his nvidia card, I would recommend to use stock gma950 drivers for ppl with this card. Stock gma950 kexts work fine and give you 100%, while some of the modded kexts will lead to artifacts or resolution limitations. Just saying this because the guide you are referring to has gma950. Mileage may vary....

yep, in fact 6400=E1505 and 9400=E1705, different names for business and home. the notebooks are identical.

ps: Although this is irrelevant for his nvidia card, I would recommend to use stock gma950 drivers for ppl with this card. Stock gma950 kexts work fine and give you 100%, while some of the modded kexts will lead to artifacts or resolution limitations. Just saying this because the guide you are referring to has gma950. Mileage may vary....

hey TGD havent heard if you were able to finally get full 64bit with the intel card

• 2 weeks later...

I found in some forum,some smart people who looking to replace slic inside bios have found the way to split and decompress bios of that notebooks.

Maybe is a start point for somebody here to make a more compatible bios which will make our notebooks more compatible.

Enabling hpet,adding necesary info in acpi,dsdt table and maybe some more fixes could fix some problems.

am i the only person who none of these things work on?! I find it interesting that i have an e1705, yet none of these things work for me? Anyone else out there? Wanna try and figure out why? Maybe its because its different versions of the e1705?? Maybe. All i want right now, is to figure out how to get my internet up, and be able to adjust the display resolution. Thats it. Im so close, yet soooo far away.

did you get wifi working? i, for the life of me, cannot get mine to work. (dell 9400). That, and the screen resolution. My only option is 1024x786