[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

this may help too based on noob's guide (see link in my sig). Just upgraded to 10.6.2 without problems, no replacing kernels or kexts necessary.

great, i'll check that out tonight, thanks again to TheGreatDeceiver. just curious, for those that use Chameleon installer package on EFI HFS partition, any specific options people are selecting? was going to just leave set to defaults -- besides selecting the hidden partition, and gathering the mentioned kexts manually -- wondering about the other settings in the installer. many thx!!! :)

great, i'll check that out tonight, thanks again to TheGreatDeceiver. just curious, for those that use Chameleon installer package on EFI HFS partition, any specific options people are selecting? was going to just leave set to defaults -- besides selecting the hidden partition, and gathering the mentioned kexts manually -- wondering about the other settings in the installer. many thx!!! :unsure:

in the method i used.. i unchecked Extra and Option boxes.

and contrary to other methods.. i dont load any of the kexts to the Extra folder. everything resides in S/L/E

hmmm.. my download traffic works just fine on the ethernet but there seems to be some problem while uploading. i am not sure what is going on. but will update when i figure this out. i used this pkg to get ethernet working. i couldnt figure out where i downloaded it from, but here it is. and while trying to upload this, i stumbled upon the upload traffic issue..

http://rapidshare.com/files/306022843/Appl...xt.pkg.zip.html

the problem with uploading happened at my office.. and i have no such issue from my home network. so, i can conclude that the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Ethernet is working flawless for me. And i used the above pkg to make it work.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try to get it installed over the weekend. I have it booting up fine from the CD, so I just need to get Chameleon installed and I should be able to boot directly, then the various drivers, mostly Voodoo stuff it seems. The big hurdle is going to be that damn x1400. If I could find a decent card to replace it, I'd do it. But it seems like the 1505 and 1705 use different video cards based on part numbers and such. And of course, the 1705 cards are significantly more expensive. They also seem to be affected by the NVidia/Dell issues from a year or so ago, so I could very well end up paying out the nose just to have it die in a few months. I really wish the laptop makers would standardize on a form factor for these things. Of course, then they wouldn't be able to gouge for the replacement/upgrade parts.

Unless someone has a spare 1505 card they want to loan me so I can see if it fits and works? :(

hey guys, its great to see a thread like his that helps with a specific model line of computers. i use this site alot for information but dont post alot. the reason for this post is im rather confused as to what i need to use as far as kexts and such to install snow leopard on my e1705. id love it if someone could give me a run down as to what files i need and maybe give me a link to them (if thats asking too much ill gladly search myself). so here is what i have,

e1705

1.6 ghz intel core duo

sigmatel soundcard

ati x1400 graphics card

broadcom wifi and ethernet

4 gigs ram

100gig sata hdd

ive also purchased the apple snow leopard dvd

after that i know i also need a boot disk. but ive read you need to put your own efi strings into them, now i know i could do this but i dont have the slightest idea how to find them. i am currently running 10.5.8 on here so i have access to a working hackintosh if thats needed also.

basically any info you can give me to get me on road to installing this would greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

allen

hey guys, its great to see a thread like his that helps with a specific model line of computers. i use this site alot for information but dont post alot. the reason for this post is im rather confused as to what i need to use as far as kexts and such to install snow leopard on my e1705. id love it if someone could give me a run down as to what files i need and maybe give me a link to them (if thats asking too much ill gladly search myself). so here is what i have,

e1705

1.6 ghz intel core duo

sigmatel soundcard

ati x1400 graphics card

broadcom wifi and ethernet

4 gigs ram

100gig sata hdd

ive also purchased the apple snow leopard dvd

after that i know i also need a boot disk. but ive read you need to put your own efi strings into them, now i know i could do this but i dont have the slightest idea how to find them. i am currently running 10.5.8 on here so i have access to a working hackintosh if thats needed also.

basically any info you can give me to get me on road to installing this would greatly appreciated ;)

allen

i have a dell e1505.. which is somewhat similar to the e1705. here are the kexts i am using on my snow leopard:

VoodooHDA

VoodooPS2

VoodooPower

VoodooSDHC

FakeSMC

Voodoo TscSync

NullCPUPowerManagement

Core Duo:

you have to dis-able the core duo support in BIOS before installing. then uses the Voodoo TscSync to enable core duo support after installation, then re-enable it in BIOS.

Sigmatel sound:

VoodooHDA works without any problem

ATi x1400:

I had this card on my machine but switched it out for a nvidia 7300 GO as support for the ATi card is hard to find. you may be able to make it work with EFi string.

Broadcom WiFi:

you need to edit the IO80211Family kext to add your device id (if it doesnt work automatically after install)

note: refer to the specs of my e1505 on my signature

how did you boot the retail dvd? im still trying to find a good way to do that even...

thanks for your really fast response : ) that helps me a ton. and any more info is greatly appreciated

allen

EDIT: ok well i found this, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

and im going to try and boot the retail dvd using the this iso and hope it works. but frankly im thinking im missing something...

"Here is a very generic ISO that supports many different video cards, if you are lucky, you can use it.

http://uppit.com/v/P1PS0CLV

If it KP's change your hard drive set up in your bios.

If it hangs, your graphics card isn't supported."

so i guess a good run down of how to go about this would be great.

thanks to rajas for posting the kexts he used. thats great info.

allen

UPDATE!!! i tried that iso and it doesnt work for me. im really stumped as to how making a boot disc for this works now lol. ill keep trying but id love some more info.

also i noticed that this info may be helpful so i got it for you guys.

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port [8086:27a1] (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 01)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:27d0] (rev 01)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:27d2] (rev 01)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 [8086:27d6] (rev 01)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 01)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 01)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 01)

00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 01)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 01)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev e1)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b9] (rev 01)

00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller [8086:27c4] (rev 01)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:27da] (rev 01)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400 [1002:7145]

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)

03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller [1180:0832]

03:01.1 SD Host controller [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter [1180:0822] (rev 19)

03:01.2 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller [1180:0843] (rev 01)

03:01.3 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter [1180:0592] (rev 0a)

03:01.4 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller [1180:0852] (rev 05)

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

Hey guys! Longtime lurker, first time posting. I've started to break ground on my first hackintosh project (dell 6400/e1505) and have hit (what i think are) some common snags. First I tried the lifehacker method and followed their instructions to the letter only substituting a 40 GB usb HD for the 8 GB flash drive. It boots, but hangs on a gray screen with only the mouse cursor.

Next I tried using my MBP running 10.6.2. I pulled the HD from the dell and hooked it up USB to my MBP. I ran the installer off the retail disk and installed to the Dell HD with no modifications of any kind. When booting from that HD, it hangs on a black screen before it ever reaches the grey apple screen.

Quite simply, I'm lost. Specs as follows:

Dell Inspiron e1505

1.86 Core Duo

1 GB Ram

Nvidia 7300GS video card

Broadcom DW1390 wireless lan

Bios shows internal bluetooth, but i dont see it on Dell's original system configuration.

Service Tag: F825YC1 for more info.

Any advice or suggestions on how to move forward from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hey guys! Longtime lurker, first time posting. I've started to break ground on my first hackintosh project (dell 6400/e1505) and have hit (what i think are) some common snags. First I tried the lifehacker method and followed their instructions to the letter only substituting a 40 GB usb HD for the 8 GB flash drive. It boots, but hangs on a gray screen with only the mouse cursor.

Next I tried using my MBP running 10.6.2. I pulled the HD from the dell and hooked it up USB to my MBP. I ran the installer off the retail disk and installed to the Dell HD with no modifications of any kind. When booting from that HD, it hangs on a black screen before it ever reaches the grey apple screen.

Quite simply, I'm lost. Specs as follows:

Dell Inspiron e1505

1.86 Core Duo

1 GB Ram

Nvidia 7300GS video card

Broadcom DW1390 wireless lan

Bios shows internal bluetooth, but i dont see it on Dell's original system configuration.

Service Tag: F825YC1 for more info.

Any advice or suggestions on how to move forward from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

you have the same system as i do, so i can tell you with 100% certainty that snow leopard will run on that machine without any problem.

read this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1325392

i basically took 2 different guides and used 1st half of one and the 2nd half of the other to get my system running flawlessly!!!

your life will be alot easier if you have a snow retail DVD. and disable dual core support in BIOS.

how did you boot the retail dvd? im still trying to find a good way to do that even...

thanks for your really fast response : ) that helps me a ton. and any more info is greatly appreciated

allen

EDIT: ok well i found this, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

and im going to try and boot the retail dvd using the this iso and hope it works. but frankly im thinking im missing something...

so i guess a good run down of how to go about this would be great.

thanks to rajas for posting the kexts he used. thats great info.

allen

UPDATE!!! i tried that iso and it doesnt work for me. im really stumped as to how making a boot disc for this works now lol. ill keep trying but id love some more info.

also i noticed that this info may be helpful so i got it for you guys.

allen:

i used boot132 iso cd to boot:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194738

thank you very much, all i needed was the push in the correct direction. im currently typing from my fresh install of snow leopard : ) what works so far...

keyboard and touch pad

wireless

bluetooth

there may be a few other things but thats the bigs one so far.

thanks again guys

allen

UPDATE!!

well i now have dual core and sound working, along with 1600x1200 resolution. but no qe/ci support. has anyone had any luck with getting the ati x1400 to run fully?

thanks.

@rajas:

Thanks for your reply. I have a retail disk and have disabled dual core in bios. Which guide did you follow for the first half? I tried the method outlined on reviewandhowto.com from the beginning but it was a little vague when it came to restoring the Install image to disk.

for example it says you need "3: A working OSx86 installation on your computer." since this is my first build, can i use my mac mini instead?

next, "Now, click on the Hard Drive you want to install Snow Leopard on" is that the disk that came out of the e1505, my mac mini's hard drive, or a 3rd external drive used only for installation purposes?

or should i not even be paying attention to that guide until i get to the "Booting without the CD" if so, what do i use to get to that point?

Thanks in advance!

i followed the above guide upto (and including) step 7.

then i moved to ...

http://reviewandhowto.com/2009/09/28/guide...n-e1505-laptop/

the above guide from the "Booting without the CD" section of the guide.. all the way to the end.

i successfully installed snow leopard 10.6.0 retail dvd on my laptop, without the need of a prior osx version.. or extra hard-drive or a thumb drive.

i followed the above guide upto (and including) step 7.

then i moved to ...

http://reviewandhowto.com/2009/09/28/guide...n-e1505-laptop/

the above guide from the "Booting without the CD" section of the guide.. all the way to the end.

i successfully installed snow leopard 10.6.0 retail dvd on my laptop, without the need of a prior osx version.. or extra hard-drive or a thumb drive.

awesome! osx installed and booting with chameleon.

now my keyboard & trackpad arent working (it worked during installation), and my display is stuck at 1024x768.

I might have made a mistake when installing voodoo psc controller. anybody have any ideas? also im guessing that i didnt need the GMA950 kext since i have the nvidia card, but i installed it anyways.

hey guys, ive gotten everything else working. all i need now is full qe/ci support for my graphics card in SL.

ive tried the old method (what worked in 10.5.X) and also this...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196083

but sadly no luck. has anyone else gotten theres working? and if so how?

any info is appreciated. thanks in advance

allen

when I boot into 64bit I get a black screen. none of the previous solutions work for me. I know that the gma950 kexts are 64bit. it may need some fixing in the DSDT.aml or the graphics string in boot.plist

I read on Chameleon 2.0 RC 3 release blog that kabyl has not completed 64 bit support for Chameleon 2.0 RC3 but people have manage to get it working with netkas' PC EFI V10. I've drop out of hackintoshing because of it's complexity but I had a good run. Best of luck to everyone.

awesome! osx installed and booting with chameleon.

now my keyboard & trackpad arent working (it worked during installation), and my display is stuck at 1024x768.

I might have made a mistake when installing voodoo psc controller. anybody have any ideas? also im guessing that i didnt need the GMA950 kext since i have the nvidia card, but i installed it anyways.

hmm.. my keyboard and trackpad worked even before i installed the VoodooPSC Controller. but i installed it anyways and it didnt create any problem.

i am guessing that the GMA950 kext might be causing the problem. i would try and remove that first and see if it helps.

for the NVidia card, i used the EFi String to get full graphic support.

Has anyone made a complete list of what is needed for the e1705/9400 to get snow leopard working?

Hope so I would love to see it!

And if not can any one get one together to help out!

Greets!

Also if I am running Windows 7 on one hard drive then swap in the snow leopard hard drive will the bios setting need to be adjusted or do the bios setting stay in the hard drive?

Ha think I just answered my question which is why im asking

hmm.. my keyboard and trackpad worked even before i installed the VoodooPSC Controller. but i installed it anyways and it didnt create any problem.

i am guessing that the GMA950 kext might be causing the problem. i would try and remove that first and see if it helps.

whether you installed a gma950 kext on a system with an nvidia card doesn't make a difference. it's ignored. You can delete gma950 altogether if you like. Unless you used the gma950 efi string in com.apple.boot.plst, that will cause problems of course.

Has anyone made a complete list of what is needed for the e1705/9400 to get snow leopard working?

Hope so I would love to see it!

And if not can any one get one together to help out!

Greets!

Also if I am running Windows 7 on one hard drive then swap in the snow leopard hard drive will the bios setting need to be adjusted or do the bios setting stay in the hard drive?

Ha think I just answered my question which is why im asking

this is for E1505/6400 but should in theory also work for yours. The bios settings are on our motherboard. If you need to adjust the # of cpus in the bios to be able to boot into SL for example you would need to change it back to full cpu support if you swap it with a windows 7 disk (otherwise your windows 7 will only see cpus=1 if you needed that for SL).

I have dual boot between windows 7 and SL and both use the same full settings in the BIOS. This will also work if you use two separate disks. When installing SL you may need to temporarily set the BIOS to only use 1 cpu. After complete installation and using the correct kernel and TSCSync kext you can set it back to use both cores.

could you please elaborate on the EFI string? where do i get it and how do i install it?

could you please elaborate on the EFI string? where do i get it and how do i install it?

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html

i used that guide to understand the process to get the string for my video card.

my card is nvidia 7300 GO 128 and a hex was already available, but i did the steps to ensure that the information was correct.

basically you take that string and add it to com.apple.Boot.plist

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129035

the hex file i used is on that post.

I just attempted the install of "Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8" and got this message at the end of the install..

INSTALL FAILED

Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer

The installer could not validate the contents of the "IOUSBFamilyFix" package. Contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Click restart to restart and try installing again.

My system is a DELL INSPIRON 6400 laptop. Any ideas what I can do?

I would have hoped my first post on this site would not have been one that makes me look like a fool, asking and expecting help, but look at me now. Apologies in advance.

Has anyone successfully installed Snow leopard using MBR on an e1405/640m laptop? I've learned that I can do it via GUID, however, I don't want to lose the Windows 7 installation on my computer, so MBR is preferable, but not required.

My appreciation goes out to whoever may have dug up any information that I've missed (Everyone I've found uses GUID+hidden EFI)