[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Been a while since I checked into this thread. Just wondering if any progress had been made to allow a Dell E1505 to run with its native screen resolution (namely, widescreen aspect ratios) with an ATI X1400.

Thanks!

yhea any progress on X1400 on the new 10.5.6

just a note.

I have noticed that many of you with problems recently posted are related to conflicts with kexts already loaded in the extension.mkext in the Extra folder in the root. This may have been created depending on the installation you use. Some of you may not even know it's there. You need to make absolutely sure that kexts you update or reinstall are not located in there, or that you install the new kext into this folder and overwrite old ones. You can use mkext tools available on this board to extract and update the kexts when you need to.

tgd

• 2 weeks later...
just a note.

I have noticed that many of you with problems recently posted are related to conflicts with kexts already loaded in the extension.mkext in the Extra folder in the root. This may have been created depending on the installation you use. Some of you may not even know it's there. You need to make absolutely sure that kexts you update or reinstall are not located in there, or that you install the new kext into this folder and overwrite old ones. You can use mkext tools available on this board to extract and update the kexts when you need to.

tgd

Not related to your comment, but I see in your signature that you have working sleep on the GMA 950. Whenever I wake my E1505 up from sleep, I get a kernel panic. I am running 10.5.6 with the TSCSync Dual core kernel 9.6 from Sonotone's post installer.

Do I need the Voodoo kernel to wake up from sleep?

You can't actually use sleep with the GMA 950, you got to download Voodoo kernel & patch dsdt in order to enable wake from DEEPsleep (whick is slightly different form regular sleep : memory is written to HDD instead of staying in RAM, so takes longer, but you can unplug power or remove the battery without a problem while doing this while regular sleep will result in the computer not waking up but booting, resulting in the loss of all your unsaved date / opened program .. etc). Well, when I say you can enable depsleep, I mean if your lucky cause seems do NOT work with some unknown installation / kext or whatever which I fu*king have, so personnaly I can't go to deepsleep (my system goes to regular sleep and then kernel panic on wake ip , as "expected").

Hope you're gonna succeed in enabling it.

Not related to your comment, but I see in your signature that you have working sleep on the GMA 950. Whenever I wake my E1505 up from sleep, I get a kernel panic. I am running 10.5.6 with the TSCSync Dual core kernel 9.6 from Sonotone's post installer.

Do I need the Voodoo kernel to wake up from sleep?

requirements:

a) working pcefi v9, (you will see a brief message on boot about sleepimage)

b ) either most recent voodoo 9.5 kernel or sonotone's patched 9.6 kernel.

c) hibernatemode 1 needs to be enabled (either do in terminal or use widgets on the net), default is mode 3, which gives you kp.

d) you need to enable 'active screen corners' in expose (under system prefs) and set one corner to 'sleep display'. when the notebook wakes up from deepsleep it will come back to a black screen until you move your mouse into the activated corner.

e) you do NOT need to patch dsdt or have it on your system to begin with.

as Olotiar mentioned, this will only give you deep sleep, contents of the ram will be written to hdd and the notebook shuts off (power led off, no blinking). when it you boot it up you will see a short message at the darwin prompt 'kernel wake' and it will load your display the way you left it (with the mouse trick above).

good luck

I'm back :-)

So the last couple of months have been great i've been running using the configuration i posted in this thread, back in March. I've been developing for iPhone and i'm just about to release my first application :-)

The next step for me is to upgrade to 10.5.6, i am wondering...

Based on my post here....

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1078594

What would be my safest upgrade path to 10.5.6?

Last thing i want to do is screw up my existing install, but i need 10.5.6 to work with iPhone 3.0

Advice appreciated!

You can't actually use sleep with the GMA 950, you got to download Voodoo kernel & patch dsdt in order to enable wake from DEEPsleep (whick is slightly different form regular sleep : memory is written to HDD instead of staying in RAM, so takes longer, but you can unplug power or remove the battery without a problem while doing this while regular sleep will result in the computer not waking up but booting, resulting in the loss of all your unsaved date / opened program .. etc). Well, when I say you can enable depsleep, I mean if your lucky cause seems do NOT work with some unknown installation / kext or whatever which I fu*king have, so personnaly I can't go to deepsleep (my system goes to regular sleep and then kernel panic on wake ip , as "expected").

what did you use to get the 2 finger scrolling to work? i've got an e1705, almost identical hardware wise except for i'm using a 1.6 coreduo and i wake from sleep doesn't work nor does any touch of the trackpad

I have a E1705 with 7800 GO video card. What are the best drivers for it? (With QE/CI enabled)

Hello everyone !

I am finally home to play around with OS X :thumbsup_anim:

volcomYAE23 The best driver for our GFX Cards is the NVinject found on the first page of this guide .

However for OS X 10.5.6 you need to modify a few things in the info.plist of the kext . also use the Laptop Display.Kext and Mobility.kext .

I fows that the combination of the drivers is giving the most stability functionality and full support for the hardware . The drivers i attached on the post are modified for nVidia GeForce Go 7800 .

P.S. don try to use EFI string for this card . Doing so , you will loose the resolution support and QE/CI .

To everyone else i have a question if anyone can help me.

I just installed my Chameleon 2.0 but i can`t make my laptop sleep it just shuts down . Not even hibernation .

I am playing around the settings and flags for Chameleon but Still nothing . No Sleep !

Any help is appreciated !

NV_Drivers.zip

Hello everyone !

I just installed my Chameleon 2.0 but i can`t make my laptop sleep it just shuts down . Not even hibernation .

I am playing around the settings and flags for Chameleon but Still nothing . No Sleep !

I read on the original post that announced the release that this is currently a limitation - that's why it's called beta still. I am sure this will be fixed in future versions.

Hello everyone !

I am finally home to play around with OS X :hammer:

volcomYAE23 The best driver for our GFX Cards is the NVinject found on the first page of this guide .

However for OS X 10.5.6 you need to modify a few things in the info.plist of the kext . also use the Laptop Display.Kext and Mobility.kext .

I fows that the combination of the drivers is giving the most stability functionality and full support for the hardware . The drivers i attached on the post are modified for nVidia GeForce Go 7800 .

P.S. don try to use EFI string for this card . Doing so , you will loose the resolution support and QE/CI .

To everyone else i have a question if anyone can help me.

Thanks for the help, but i have one question.

What do i need to change in the info.plist?

BUMP :)

Hey all.

volcomYAE23 Sorry (Iam really sorry) for the delay, but I was abroad for a few days in the jungle :yoji:

what you neet to change is :

you have to open the NVinjectGo.kext and in the info.plist u have to find where is writen " IOProbeScore "

the defaul value i think is 60000 and you have to change it to " 0 "

then save the info plist file and install the kext.

BTW the drivers i uploadet in my earlier post are set for Nvidia GeForce Go 7800

you can use them directly ...

Again sorry for the late post I hope this helps

what did you use to get the 2 finger scrolling to work? i've got an e1705, almost identical hardware wise except for i'm using a 1.6 coreduo and i wake from sleep doesn't work nor does any touch of the trackpad

One word :

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

Compiled a DSDT for my E1705, it has CD and Go 7900 GS so may/may not work for others with different specs, use at your own risk.

With this DSDT, you don't need any nvidia injector (like nvinject etc). It has support for mirror display, clamshelldisplay, VGA/DVI and fix for color banding.

E1705_DSDT.zip

Compiled a DSDT for my E1705, it has CD and Go 7900 GS so may/may not work for others with different specs, use at your own risk.

With this DSDT, you don't need any nvidia injector (like nvinject etc). It has support for mirror display, clamshelldisplay, VGA/DVI and fix for color banding.

E1705_DSDT.zip

Really? How would I go about installing this DSDT?

• 2 weeks later...

I must says since installing chameleon 2 My laptop goes to sleep and wakes up no probs I am in mode 3

I do get error on usbf on booting and also when I shut down i get message about error in cache hda tc etc which I take it is related to sound what it does instead of shutting down in 20 secs it takes a few minutes with wheel spinning on desktop........

Ps my kernel is sontones 9.60

I must says since installing chameleon 2 My laptop goes to sleep and wakes up no probs I am in mode 3

I do get error on usbf on booting and also when I shut down i get message about error in cache hda tc etc which I take it is related to sound what it does instead of shutting down in 20 secs it takes a few minutes with wheel spinning on desktop........

Ps my kernel is sontones 9.60

your graphic card is a gma950? if not then sleep should work even without chameleon. the specific problems addressed in the previous post ONLY apply to gma950 users.

Somewhat of a crosspost, and my introduction to this thread :whistle:

I have an E1705, with the help of the great advice in this thread was able to get everything working pretty good. 10.5.7 has been a different story. The big thing is I get dual core stutter (Core 2 Duo) so I have to boot with cpus=1. If I try to install the Voodoo kernel it gets stuck in my Chameleon boot screen. Choosing the drive gives a little 'refresh' but nothing happens. Attempting to boot with -v gives me a black screen.

That said, if I boot to my Kalyway CD and don't hit any keys, it boots fine into 10.5.7. I'm new to this whole OSX86 thing so any help either troubleshooting the Voodoo kernel, or fixing the dual core stutter bug would be greatly appreciated.

Somewhat of a crosspost, and my introduction to this thread :whistle:

I have an E1705, with the help of the great advice in this thread was able to get everything working pretty good. 10.5.7 has been a different story. The big thing is I get dual core stutter (Core 2 Duo) so I have to boot with cpus=1. If I try to install the Voodoo kernel it gets stuck in my Chameleon boot screen. Choosing the drive gives a little 'refresh' but nothing happens. Attempting to boot with -v gives me a black screen.

That said, if I boot to my Kalyway CD and don't hit any keys, it boots fine into 10.5.7. I'm new to this whole OSX86 thing so any help either troubleshooting the Voodoo kernel, or fixing the dual core stutter bug would be greatly appreciated.

if your bios is older then you need a kernel that corrects the timing, either voodoo or sonotone's 9.6 kernel. the fact that you can't boot with those is likely caused by the wrong version of your system.kext . this has to match the kernel. so you need system.kext from 10.5.6. That also needs a seatbelt.kext that matches the system.kext, otherwise you won't be able to mount dmgs..

good luck

Quick reply, thanks! I updated both and still couldn't boot. On a whim I tried the PC EFI V9 bootloader and it loaded fine. I'm kinda sad I don't have the shiny boot selector, but at least it's working now :) More so, my cpu is being properly identified, unlike in 10.5.6.

Thanks again!

//edit

Ok, I found out what the problem was. I had incorrectly edited the original boot plist, not noticing the chameleon one in /Extras was selecting the incorrect kernel. D'oh. Like I said, I'm new at this :P

your graphic card is a gma950? if not then sleep should work even without chameleon. the specific problems addressed in the previous post ONLY apply to gma950 users.

Great deceiver if you remember sometime ago i ask you about sleep with gma and efi 9 i was getting sleep image has garbage and would not go to sleep now with chameleon 2 it works