[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

TheGreatDeceiver, thanks for all of your help so far, i have not yet installed the custom drivers for GMA950,

But i have gotten a little further, while i was waiting, I found some posts where people had deleted alot of the IntelGMA* kexts and also IntelFrameBuffer* had been deleted.

So i booted into iAtKos DVD, and selected terminal, mounted the drive and... deleted these.....

cd /Volumes/MAC_OSX/System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
kextcache -c
reboot

And frickin VOILA! No more screen issues... but i did not get very far....

Can anyone of you guys tell me why it says "Before you begin" "Plugin your mouse" and "Plugin in your keyboard"

When i plugin my USB mouse it recognises it, and then tells me to plugin my keyboard (i don;t have an external one to try out)

I don;t know why it does not recognise my internal mouse an kb :wacko:

Its late here, 1 step at a time.... i am getting there, i'll write a big post on the 6400 once this is over with :-)

c u in the morn!

Hi Guys,

TheGreatDeceiver, thanks for all of your help so far, i have not yet installed the custom drivers for GMA950,

I don;t know why it does not recognise my internal mouse an kb :wacko:

Its late here, 1 step at a time.... i am getting there, i'll write a big post on the 6400 once this is over with :-)

c u in the morn!

you guys are always two steps ahead of my posts and I am getting all mixed up here :wacko: . the appleintelintegratedframebuffer may have been your only problem. I can't believe you are able to boot into the system without any gma950 drivers :blink: . don't you have the gma950? I am confused :blink: .

try this for your keyboard issues. it's a ps/2 issue. In my case an older AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.5.4 fixed the missing keyboard. read this and sonotone's post just below that.

you guys are always two steps ahead of my posts and I am getting frustrated :wacko: . the appleintelintegratedframebuffer may have been your only problem. I can't believe you are able to boot into the system without any gma950 drivers :) . don't you have the gma950? I am confused :blink: .

try this for your keyboard issues. it's a ps/2 issue. In my case an older AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.5.4 fixed the missing keyboard. read this and sonotone's post just below that.

Well "boot into the system" might be a stretch... ;) i mean i still can only see the Animations for "Searching for mouse/keyboard" (unless you think thats a good indication that i'll be able to boot to desktop!?). Also, when i do a -v, i can still see a line that says something like "Using GMA950" or "Found GMA950"

Its definitely a GMA950, the code is 27A2 running on a Intel 945GM Express Chipset.

I had a look at the posts, thanks, i will try when i back from work.

Heres a question, it DOES recognise my USB Mouse when i plug it in, and then moves on to ask me to plugin a keyboard. If i bring my USB Keyboard home from work, do you think that would be a better idea? as in, it would get me to the desktop and i could fiddle with the drivers from there? instead of doing it all from single user mode?

Well "boot into the system" might be a stretch... :) i mean i still can only see the Animations for "Searching for mouse/keyboard" (unless you think thats a good indication that i'll be able to boot to desktop!?). Also, when i do a -v, i can still see a line that says something like "Using GMA950" or "Found GMA950"

Its definitely a GMA950, the code is 27A2 running on a Intel 945GM Express Chipset.

I had a look at the posts, thanks, i will try when i back from work.

Heres a question, it DOES recognise my USB Mouse when i plug it in, and then moves on to ask me to plugin a keyboard. If i bring my USB Keyboard home from work, do you think that would be a better idea? as in, it would get me to the desktop and i could fiddle with the drivers from there? instead of doing it all from single user mode?

yes, try external keyboard and use an older appleacpi kext e.g. from 10.5.5 or 4.

yes, try external keyboard and use an older appleacpi kext e.g. from 10.5.5 or 4.

Thanks for everything, i installed the keyboard PS2 package, and both the keyboard and trackpad started working, so right now i am writing from the laptop...

I have

* Trackpad - OK

* Laptop Keyboard - OK (sometimes letters repeat when i am typing)

* 2 CPU's %'s at the top of the screen (i guess dual core is working?)

* Sound - OK (but stutters)

* Ethernet - OK (wired)

* Bluetooth - OK

* Wireless - I know 1395ABG is a no go area. Going to buy a different card (suggestions??)

* Graphics

I tried the drivers, here is what happened...

I installed the GMA Kext and the Framebuffer KEXT for a total of 2 new kext files to be installed. I installed them with kexthelper. I did not touch the bundles (did not know what to do with them) or anything else in the zip file...

I rebooted and like you said it went black.. so i connected external monitor.

What i see is my desktop background only, it hangs there.

I booted in single user, and deleted the FrameBuffer KEXT, only. This brought me back in no problems, but no hardware accceleration @ 1024x768. Basically same as without driver.

Sometimes the screen goes black and then comes back, but thats the only real problem, apart from slow animation, no tears, or artifacts.

So thats where i am now. I think my main priority is the graphics... really not sure what to do about it next..

Thanks for everything, i installed the keyboard PS2 package, and both the keyboard and trackpad started working, so right now i am writing from the laptop...

I have

* Trackpad - OK

* Laptop Keyboard - OK (sometimes letters repeat when i am typing)

* 2 CPU's %'s at the top of the screen (i guess dual core is working?)

* Sound - OK (but stutters)

* Ethernet - OK (wired)

* Bluetooth - OK

* Wireless - I know 1395ABG is a no go area. Going to buy a different card (suggestions??)

* Graphics

I tried the drivers, here is what happened...

I installed the GMA Kext and the Framebuffer KEXT for a total of 2 new kext files to be installed. I installed them with kexthelper. I did not touch the bundles (did not know what to do with them) or anything else in the zip file...

I rebooted and like you said it went black.. so i connected external monitor.

What i see is my desktop background only, it hangs there.

I booted in single user, and deleted the FrameBuffer KEXT, only. This brought me back in no problems, but no hardware accceleration @ 1024x768. Basically same as without driver.

Sometimes the screen goes black and then comes back, but thats the only real problem, apart from slow animation, no tears, or artifacts.

So thats where i am now. I think my main priority is the graphics... really not sure what to do about it next..

UPDATE : I installed the drivers from osx86Tools Hardware Update and i HAVE FULL RESOLUTION!!!!! ALL GOOD! I do not know whyyy this works over Sonotone or other manual methods

Moving on to other issues!

UPDATE : I installed the drivers from osx86Tools Hardware Update and i HAVE FULL RESOLUTION!!!!! ALL GOOD! I do not know whyyy this works over Sonotone or other manual methods

Moving on to other issues!

cool. apparently your previous driver installation attempts were faulty for some reason. I do know that sound drivers from sonotone's are not installed correctly unless you manually delete the kext that need to be replaced and use kexthelper or osx86 tools to install new ones.

cool. apparently your previous driver installation attempts were faulty for some reason. I do know that sound drivers from sonotone's are not installed correctly unless you manually delete the kext that need to be replaced and use kexthelper or osx86 tools to install new ones.

Quick Question for you TGD,how is your graphics performance? My resolution looks great, nice crisp desktop.

But i do notice that the "minimize" animations are a little jumpy, also in Finder when i switch to the fancy view (where there are big pictures of the icons) and you can flip them left and right) it's reeeeaaaal slow.

Is this just the GMA 950? Or have i further tweaks to perform? I Have a Dual core processor (which i think is enabled) and 1GB of RAM.

I tried enabling the Quartz 2D from OSX86Tools , but it made it worse.

Lastly, how is your sound? Is it perfect or jumpy? Mine kind of stutters.

I'm getting there :-) Almost ready to develop my first iPhone App!

This is my step by step installation of iAtkos i5 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 upgrade, please read it before trying.

This is without sound, I did not care about the sound issues until I finished upgrading, then I just installed the one from Sonotone's Dell Laptop Post Installer (Sigmatel 9200) repair permissions reboot and I had sound.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 6400, with a 1.6 core duo, 2gb ram, GMA 950 graphics card.

I have no idea if I was lucky enough to get this going or not, all I know is that it worked twice on my computer, once on my test partition and on my real partition, you may wanna clone the partition after the installation of 10.5.5 or not.

I based all of this on info on posts by InkBlot and of course TheGreatDeceiver.

Of course all the people whose hard work is the result of all the applications, patches, and experience that exist in this forum.

Thank you.

You will need: Laptop, VNC capable device (viewer), some strong coffee and patience, if it does not work for you then there must be something I did wrong or was lucky enough to get it right by doing it wrong.

Installed system, iAtkos i5 (10.5.5)

Bootloader > PC EFI V9

X86 Patches > Dcecrypters

SMBIOS > Enablers

Kernel > Voodoo 9.5.0

ACPI > x86 ACPI

Disabler.kext

Drivers > VGA > Graphics Update

Intel > GMA 950 b

System > SATA / IDE > Intel SATA, Intel AHCI SATA, JMicrcon

Speedstep > Intel Speedstep b? should be the one from Superhai

Laptop Battery

NTFS-3G

NET > both Realteks, intel pro, bcom 440x

After installation reboot.

Remember to press a key at the boot selection screen and type the cpus=1 flag.

Run Dell Laptop Post Installer 1.4.1

Safe updates is a must according to InkBlot @ post#1929

DualCore Kernels 9.5

Repair Permissions and reboot and say goodbye to cpus=1 flag for now.

In System Preferences > Sharing > Activate both Screen Sharing (on Computer Settings > check VNC viewers may control the screen with password: "type password here")and Remote Login just to be sure in case something goes wrong to ssh to the computer and try to fix it.

Download the 10.5.6 do not download and install... just download.

Download the stock 10.5.6 GMA 950 drivers from here

Really important since you will have the "my usb drives do not mount" issue afterwards as I did, but with the help of TheGreatDeceiver from one of hihs previous posts on how he upgraded I saved these following kexts.

Backup from /System/Library/Extensions/

System.kext 
AppleACPIPlatform.kext 
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext 
IONetworkingFamily.kext 
seatbelt.kext

Prep: Kext Helper, type in the password and put in this file (InkBlot)

A terminal window: sudo su

then type in your password.

now enter the command:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

It will just sit there waiting to catch the kext and delete it, that's why you need to enter the su password.

Open Disk Utility.app and point to your installation Partition.

Now, here comes the fun part... with those 3 things open: terminal waiting, Kext Helper with password+kext and Disk Utility ready to go,

Install the update :blink: , when the updater finishes do NOT reboot, check if the terminal did the job by checking in /System/Library/Extension/ if you cannot find AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext it did the job.

Install the missing kext to avoid having to connect a USB keyb+mouse

Repair permissions.

NOTE: At this point if you decide to continue you will see a black screen, that's why you need a device capable of accessing your computer via VNC.

Now you can reboot.

Remeber the good old cpus=1 flag... now you will use it again.

The computer will restart, type cpus=1 and then after a few secs it will turn off again, do not worry, it does that, or mine did for that matter.

When the computer restarts, cpus=1 again... last time I promise.

This is why you need to turn screen sharing on.

With your preferred device access your videoless mac using the VNC program of your choice, I used my iPhone since that was the only other device with a wireless adapter and VNC app, I used this just for monitoring the process.

Type in the password on the laptop's keyboard and login.

Run Dell Laptop Postinstaller again choosing the 9.6 kernel version, althought you're using a 9.5 kern, I really do not know if installing the 9.5 again would work... and now most importantly install the Intel GMA 950 driver, repair permissions and reboot.

Now you can forget about the cpus=1 flag for good.

You will see a 1024x768 resolution, don't worry, unzip the stock drivers you downloaded earlier and install everything with Kext Helper, you may also want to install the 5 kexts you should have saved earlier.

System.kext 
AppleACPIPlatform.kext 
IONetworkingFamily.kext 
seatbelt.kext

Repair reboot enjoy.

And thank all the people without whose help we would not be running 10.5.6.

This is my step by step installation of iAtkos i5 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 upgrade, please read it before trying.

This is without sound, I did not care about the sound issues until I finished upgrading, then I just installed the one from Sonotone's Dell Laptop Post Installer (Sigmatel 9200) repair permissions reboot and I had sound.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 6400, with a 1.6 core duo, 2gb ram, GMA 950 graphics card.

I have no idea if I was lucky enough to get this going or not, all I know is that it worked twice on my computer, once on my test partition and on my real partition, you may wanna clone the partition after the installation of 10.5.5 or not.

I based all of this on info on posts by InkBlot and of course TheGreatDeceiver.

Of course all the people whose hard work is the result of all the applications, patches, and experience that exist in this forum.

Thank you.

You will need: Laptop, VNC capable device (viewer), some strong coffee and patience, if it does not work for you then there must be something I did wrong or was lucky enough to get it right by doing it wrong.

Installed system, iAtkos i5 (10.5.5)

Bootloader > PC EFI V9

X86 Patches > Dcecrypters

SMBIOS > Enablers

Kernel > Voodoo 9.5.0

ACPI > x86 ACPI

Disabler.kext

Drivers > VGA > Graphics Update

Intel > GMA 950 b

System > SATA / IDE > Intel SATA, Intel AHCI SATA, JMicrcon

Speedstep > Intel Speedstep b? should be the one from Superhai

Laptop Battery

NTFS-3G

NET > both Realteks, intel pro, bcom 440x

After installation reboot.

Remember to press a key at the boot selection screen and type the cpus=1 flag.

Run Dell Laptop Post Installer 1.4.1

Safe updates is a must according to InkBlot @ post#1929

DualCore Kernels 9.5

Repair Permissions and reboot and say goodbye to cpus=1 flag for now.

In System Preferences > Sharing > Activate both Screen Sharing (on Computer Settings > check VNC viewers may control the screen with password: "type password here")and Remote Login just to be sure in case something goes wrong to ssh to the computer and try to fix it.

Download the 10.5.6 do not download and install... just download.

Download the stock 10.5.6 GMA 950 drivers from here

Really important since you will have the "my usb drives do not mount" issue afterwards as I did, but with the help of TheGreatDeceiver from one of hihs previous posts on how he upgraded I saved these following kexts.

Backup from /System/Library/Extensions/

System.kext 
AppleACPIPlatform.kext 
IONetworkingFamily.kext 
seatbelt.kext

Prep: Kext Helper, type in the password and put in this file (InkBlot)

A terminal window: sudo su

then type in your password.

now enter the command:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

It will just sit there waiting to catch the kext and delete it, that's why you need to enter the su password.

Open Disk Utility.app and point to your installation Partition.

Now, here comes the fun part... with those 3 things open: terminal waiting, Kext Helper with password+kext and Disk Utility ready to go,

Install the update -_- , when the updater finishes do NOT reboot, check if the terminal did the job by checking in /System/Library/Extension/ if you cannot find AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext it did the job.

Install the missing kext to avoid having to connect a USB keyb+mouse

Repair permissions.

NOTE: At this point if you decide to continue you will see a black screen, that's why you need a device capable of accessing your computer via VNC.

Now you can reboot.

Remeber the good old cpus=1 flag... now you will use it again.

The computer will restart, type cpus=1 and then after a few secs it will turn off again, do not worry, it does that, or mine did for that matter.

When the computer restarts, cpus=1 again... last time I promise.

This is why you need to turn screen sharing on.

With your preferred device access your videoless mac using the VNC program of your choice, I used my iPhone since that was the only other device with a wireless adapter and VNC app, I used this just for monitoring the process.

Type in the password on the laptop's keyboard and login.

Run Dell Laptop Postinstaller again choosing the 9.6 kernel version, althought you're using a 9.5 kern, I really do not know if installing the 9.5 again would work... and now most importantly install the Intel GMA 950 driver, repair permissions and reboot.

Now you can forget about the cpus=1 flag for good.

You will see a 1024x768 resolution, don't worry, unzip the stock drivers you downloaded earlier and install everything with Kext Helper, you may also want to install the 5 kexts you should have saved earlier.

System.kext 
AppleACPIPlatform.kext 
IONetworkingFamily.kext 
seatbelt.kext

Repair reboot enjoy.

And thank all the people without whose help we would not be running 10.5.6.

Great post! How are your graphics and sound? Do you have any stuttering in sound, and slow animation? or is it all good?

Also, do you mean you got 1395ABG wireless working (as that is what i have in my 6400) or have you a different card?

Thanks

Kwikk (Trying to get his 6400 going!)

Graphics are working perfect, no tearing at the moment, sound is working great.

To test if your video is working as it should open the dashboard and add a widget with using the plus sign at the lower left corner, when you add just drag it to the screen, if it makes a "splash" animation when you throw it on the screen your video is good... if not install the drivers in this package taken from this post using Kext Helper repair permissions using disk utility (very important) then just reboot.

The files should be:

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

To be honest, I know very little about driver tweaking in mac, but it worked for me.

My wireless card is this one, lshw taken from linux

*-network
			description: Network controller
			product: BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
			vendor: Broadcom Corporation
			physical id: 0
			bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
			version: 01
			width: 32 bits
			clock: 33MHz
			capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
			configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb

Great post! How are your graphics and sound? Do you have any stuttering in sound, and slow animation? or is it all good?

Also, do you mean you got 1395ABG wireless working (as that is what i have in my 6400) or have you a different card?

Thanks

Kwikk (Trying to get his 6400 going!)

Quick Question for you TGD,how is your graphics performance? My resolution looks great, nice crisp desktop.

But i do notice that the "minimize" animations are a little jumpy, also in Finder when i switch to the fancy view (where there are big pictures of the icons) and you can flip them left and right) it's reeeeaaaal slow.

Is this just the GMA 950? Or have i further tweaks to perform? I Have a Dual core processor (which i think is enabled) and 1GB of RAM.

I tried enabling the Quartz 2D from OSX86Tools , but it made it worse.

Lastly, how is your sound? Is it perfect or jumpy? Mine kind of stutters.

I'm getting there :-) Almost ready to develop my first iPhone App!

everything perfectly smooth here. you need to make sure that you have full hardware support. find this under about this mac/more info.../Graphics/Displays

this is what it should look like

Chipset Model:	GMA 950
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	Built-In
 VRAM (Total):	64 MB of shared system memory
 Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:	0x27a2
 Revision ID:	0x0003
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1280 x 800
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Built-In:	Yes
 QuartzGL:	Supported
Display Connector:

But, all your symptoms point to some different problem. It sounds like you got both cores running but with timing issues. are you sure you have either sonotone's patched kernel or the voodoo kernel? Only these two will allow you to run both cores without stuttering issues. also make sure that you have NO AppleIntelCPUmanagement. kext in your extensions. that kext will drive your cpu at 50% all the time.

btw. sonotone's patcher has a driver for the 1395 wireless.

everything perfectly smooth here. you need to make sure that you have full hardware support. find this under about this mac/more info.../Graphics/Displays

this is what it should look like

Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1280 x 800
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 QuartzGL:	Supported
Display Connector:

But, all your symptoms point to some different problem. It sounds like you got both cores running but with timing issues. are you sure you have either sonotone's patched kernel or the voodoo kernel? Only these two will allow you to run both cores without stuttering issues. also make sure that you have NO AppleIntelCPUmanagement. kext in your extensions. that kext will drive your cpu at 50% all the time.

btw. sonotone's patcher has a driver for the 1395 wireless.

Ok, TGD, that was great, great advice, it was all about the dual core kernel, almost everything is looking great right now.

I reinstalled iAtKos 5i, and picked the same values as Juan Fers.. this got me to a black screen startup.

Logged in as single user mode, and deleted AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext folder

Rebooted a few times to get into non-safe mode with basic graphics.

Ethernet was working, so downloaded osx86tools from internet.

Used osx86tools to download and install GMA950 drivers, fixed permissions, rebooted.

Thats where i am now, the system is much much better, now that the Dual Kernel is fixed. Sound is absolutely perfect.

Graphics are much smoother, still no hardware acceleration, but alot better. See GMA950 details below.

1395ABG just simply is a no go, from all posts i saw. Ordered 1390 from ebay for $12.

I have no artifacts, so not sure what to do about acceleration, guess i could do a DIFF on the drivers you gave me,

How exactly should i install them (including the bundles) not sure what to do as its not all kext files.

Intel GMA 950:

Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz
 Core Image:	Software
 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported
Display Connector:

alright guys' I;m back........

well i ave to say it has been ruff but i finally think i have the wifi figured out and i think it has something to do with either the ipc disk or my bad luck but the only way i will find out is if one you use the ipc disk and the sonotones patcher..

but anyway after trying to install ideneb 1.3 with blank screen after reboot and then the inspiron disc wich for me was also a failure i ended up going back to what i knew worked. and that was ipc (FTW!!!) and the same thing kept happening with that dmn wireless (1390) and the same thing was the signal being intermittent and always dropping on me... (very unusable!!) well i ended up erasing all my networks and applying it and then creating one new airport connection.. set it manually and now it is running good like the mini i;m on now... thx for the help.....

i know i'm a noob but there should really be a detailed guide for each laptop by now with a customized installer for it.... inspiron istaller is nice but i didnt think very noob friendly but hey i'm a new guy at this what do i know.....

check out the mydellmini installer for the mini9 and you will see why i was spoiled to death with it being my first hackintosh....

Ok, TGD, that was great, great advice, it was all about the dual core kernel, almost everything is looking great right now.

I reinstalled iAtKos 5i, and picked the same values as Juan Fers.. this got me to a black screen startup.

Logged in as single user mode, and deleted AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext folder

Used osx86tools to download and install GMA950 drivers, fixed permissions, rebooted.

That where i am now, the system is much much better, now that the Dual Kernel is fixed. Sound is absolutely perfect.

Graphics are much smoother, still no hardware acceleration, but alot better. See GMA950 details below.

1395ABG just simply is a no go, from all posts i saw. Ordered 1390 from ebay for $12.

I have no artifacts, so not sure what to do about acceleration, guess i could do a DIFF on the drivers you gave me,

How exactly should i install them (including the bundles) not sure what to do as its not all kext files.

not sure why you deleted AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext ? where did I mention to delete that? did you see JuanFerS deleted that, I don't and his is working. and if you mix different kexts I am not surprised you are not getting full graphic capabilities. stick to one approach and don't mix. gma950 is not gma950 especially with dell inspirons! if you find drivers that work on other notebooks doesn't mean they work for us. I've been there many times. kexthelper will install the bundles just fine, just like kexts. they all go into the extension folder and you need the framebuffer with them.

i know i'm a noob but there should really be a detailed guide for each laptop by now with a customized installer for it.... inspiron istaller is nice but i didnt think very noob friendly but hey i'm a new guy at this what do i know.....

check out the mydellmini installer for the mini9 and you will see why i was spoiled to death with it being my first hackintosh....

you are posting this in a guide just for your notebook. your wish is not going to work since people here are doing this in their free time. Furthermore both hardware and OS are constantly changing. once you have a fool proof installation procedure it will be completely different with the next OS version. you do this three or four times and then you buy a new notebook with new hardware....

you can't any closer to a perfect installation instruction than posted by InkBlot and JuanFerS, with exactly your system. not sure what you are looking for. If you cannot follow the instructions then you need to learn it the hard way.

wow... aint we testy.... i'm sorry if i offended but look...

1. Boot from iso (burn to CD or DVD, or see the USB thread to put on a USB drive)

2. Once booted pull disk and insert Leopard Retail DVD (note if you have problems power cycle external DVD drive and try unplugging/re-plugging), external DVD is 9f on boot prompt (default, press ESC to get that prompt)

3. Format drive as GUID in disk util

4. Install will fail at the end but this is ok reboot (might not fail, either way, it worked)

5. on reboot boot from boot132 iso above again, choose device 80 for internal drive (or other if you did another drive) and enter -f when booting from your hard drive (might freeze first reboot, just restart)

6. update to 10.5.6 and any of the other updates, reboot (Skip this step if your OSX install disc is already 10.5.6)

7. on reboot boot from boot123 iso above again, choose device 80 for internal drive (or other if you did another drive)

8. on the iso above Go into the DellMini9Utils folder, and run the DellEFI application (you might recognize the icon).

9. Your best bet is to leave it on "Easy" and click "Install"

10. It will prompt you to reboot when it's done.

That's it. This thing should Just Work now. Mac software won't even realize you aren't running a real Mac. All of the hardware will work, and with the SSD, you might just be faster than a real Mac.

those were my instructions from mydellmini, they worked without a hitch. if this was made for my laptop then why after i booted it with 10.5.4 retail disk did it not work?? i tried this iso that was here and did not have the same results, maybe the team over there took his design and made it better like the bionic installer or something. but none the less sonotones installer are what got me going at the point i'm at now. so the {censored} does work!!! i never said it didnt. maybe i need to learn the stuff i did in the install so when i try on a big machine with some actual power i might know what i;m doing possibly make my own installer for myself.. but the fact still remains this installer is not the installer that the mydellmini teams installer is. (as far as ease of use that is)

you are not reading my posts. different hardware requires different installers.
lol...

i read your posts. without them i wouldnt have read half the stuff i did. i'm just saying that i think if they were to tear their installer down and put our kext iand fixes in there, maybe a couple of tweaks. it would be a very easy installer... i actually wish that they would pick up where sonotone left off.

Thats where i am now, the system is much much better, now that the Dual Kernel is fixed. Sound is absolutely perfect.

KwikkSilva, just give the stock kexts a try, trust me you'll not regret it... even if it doesn't work you will not lose a thing... just some time.

I took the time to take some screenshots of my GMA 950 on 10.5.5, 10.5.6 with the drivers from the postinstaller and 10.5.6 with stock drivers.

Check this out

This is 10.5.5 after installation.

post-28653-1233945227_thumb.jpg

After update 10.5.6 just the drivers from the postinstaller.

post-28653-1233945278_thumb.jpg

post-28653-1233945292_thumb.jpg

Stock kexts installation on 10.5.6

post-28653-1233945473_thumb.jpg

Now, 10.5.6 with stock kexts

post-28653-1233945484_thumb.jpg

not sure why you deleted AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext ? where did I mention to delete that? did you see JuanFerS deleted that, I don't and his is working. and if you mix different kexts I am not surprised you are not getting full graphic capabilities. stick to one approach and don't mix. gma950 is not gma950 especially with dell inspirons! if you find drivers that work on other notebooks doesn't mean they work for us. I've been there many times. kexthelper will install the bundles just fine, just like kexts. they all go into the extension folder and you need the framebuffer with them.

Ok TGD... i see what you were saying and now, well.... its fixed.... because i followed what you said.

EVERY time i installed drivers previously, i would get a black screen.... connect monitor and have corruption on screen.

Then i would delete AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (which i decided on myself), and it would go back to software, and i could boot back in.

So i got into this bad habit of deleting AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.

So last night i took YOUR gma950 package and installed it, but beforehand i did the "Expose" sleep trick in the bottom left hand corner.

I got a black screen, but as soon as i went to the bottom left, it came back and NOW i have Full hardware acceleration, just like yours.

Every other time i reboot it now boots straight in without the sleep trick.

So thanks for everything, i'm just waiting on my Network Card from EBay now and i'm golden!

KwikkSilva, just give the stock kexts a try, trust me you'll not regret it... even if it doesn't work you will not lose a thing... just some time.

Thanks for the Info JuanFers I am still on 10.5.5, and everything is perfect for me now except Wireless, and that will be ok soon aswell.

I'm afraid to go upgrading to 10.5.6, as i'm wanting to start iPhone Developement, and i don't want to screw it up again, but i guess i might have to keep with the times in order to keep programming for the iPhone.

I took the time to take some screenshots of my GMA 950 on 10.5.5, 10.5.6 with the drivers from the postinstaller and 10.5.6 with stock drivers.

I have no problems with the drivers from sonotone's patcher which are in fact drivers I provided for him while on 10.5.4. I get hardware acceleration with those fine. good to know that the 10.5.6 also work though.

I'm afraid to go upgrading to 10.5.6, as i'm wanting to start iPhone Developement, and i don't want to screw it up again, but i guess i might have to keep with the times in order to keep programming for the iPhone.

great you got it to work. as for upgrading to 10.5.6 - you are not gaining anything. if you have a stable 10.5.5 I suggest to stick with it unless you feel totally comfortable upgrading without having to start from scratch.

not really sure if you all care or not but if you can get the gma950 from the ipc disk you dont need to do the sleepy corner stuff.. i never installed it from sonotones installer and have never had a problem with the screen waking back up on me after waking from sleep or after rebooting. i also opened terminal and typed "sudo pmset hibernatemode 1" before trying sleep. dont know if it matters or not but it is working very nicely...

but alas the wireless problem came back!! i dont know what to do about it.. could be something the ipc disk installed or didnt but it is very sketchy to say the best. i even bought a wireless usb card for it from netgear hoping to solve the issue but the same occurs. anyone here using an ipc 10.5.6 final disc in conjunction with sonotones installer on a dell e1505 w/ a 1390 wireless card? what the hell is going on and how on earth did you fix it?