[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

So Great Deceiver,

How can I get rid of it and get my normal scrolling back....(Used Sonotone's Installer)

Reason being because I can't drag windows with the touchpad anymore.

you need to remove ffscroll from your system. look at this thread and you see what needs to be done to reverse.

Hello

I use Inspiron 6400/Core Duo T2300E/GMA950 japanese keyboard model.

Install method is iATKOS 10.5.5 and Sonotone's patch V1.4. (EFI V9/Voodoo kernel/superhai)

Dual Core, SpeedStep, SD Card slot, and Spaeker/Headphone switch works fine.

Sleep can be done.

However, the system doesn't return even if the power button is pushed. :)

Battery icon is still gone. Mouse tearing and artifacts remain appearing.

These problems cannot be solved. Is it good when doing very?

pafu, sorry I may be misunderstanding your post. "However, the system doesn't return even if the power button is pushed" is confusing.

if you still have mouse artifacts then your graphics driver is the wrong one. your battery icon has likely to do with the powermanagement bundle not being the correct one. for the gma950 you should try sonotone's patcher and hopefully that will fix your mouse tearing.

pafu, sorry I may be misunderstanding your post. "However, the system doesn't return even if the power button is pushed" is confusing.

if you still have mouse artifacts then your graphics driver is the wrong one. your battery icon has likely to do with the powermanagement bundle not being the correct one. for the gma950 you should try sonotone's patcher and hopefully that will fix your mouse tearing.

Dear The Great Deceiver.

I'm sorry. My English is unskilled.

I installed GMA950 driver of sonotone's pathes.

Mouse tearing and artifacts is fix.

Another problem occurred. Screen brightness is down and wallpaper picture is not appearing.

Wallpaper picture is displayed after logout and login.

The system shifts to state of sleep. But do not wake-up. Screen is black-out and system freeze.

Dear The Great Deceiver.

I'm sorry. My English is unskilled.

I installed GMA950 driver of sonotone's pathes.

Mouse tearing and artifacts is fix.

Another problem occurred. Screen brightness is down and wallpaper picture is not appearing.

Wallpaper picture is displayed after logout and login.

The system shifts to state of sleep. But do not wake-up. Screen is black-out and system freeze.

cool you fixed mouse problems. here are the fixes for your login and sleep:

login: You need to create a login password under your account settings in system settings. there is a script that only runs correctly after you login WITH password (it's a script that got installed after you applied sonotone's patcher for gma950).

sleep: you will never get hibernate sleep with gma950 (at least not yet). the only sleep mode you will be able to get is deep sleep. you need to change your hibernate mode to 1. It is likely on 3 at the moment. Here is a nice site that shows you what you need to do to change it to 1. After you have set this and you put your notebook to sleep it will write the contents of your ram to disk. when you boot up the notebook it will show "kernel wake" and go right back to your system the way your left it.

good luck

Hi folks. I have read this forum from pages 60 through to the end in an effort to create myself a HackBook out of my Dell E1505. It's been my wee project during the holidays with a view to installing the iPhone SDK and learning that platform. (I have a 12" PowerBookG4, but cannot use that for the iPhone SDK as it is not Intel based).

So here is my tale (Quick version - success)

My Dell is about 2 years old an has the following specs (taken from system info)

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: MM061

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B00

Audio Sigmatel 9200

Network Dell Wireless

Video NVidia GS7300 Go

I ordered the video card off ebay ($40) to replace the ATI x1400 card that was not able to display 1680x1050 screen res (did manage 1400x1050)

I tried doing this a year or so ago and gave up after a day or so of not really getting too far. So this time I carried a few lessons over and started reading and experimenting. The main lesson learned from the last attempt was to disable the second core (in BIOS).

I stated out with the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD which gave me the basics. 1024x768 screen res - and wireless!! Getting wireless right away was a huge deal for me. It makes progress far easier. I then tried using the Kalyway 10.5.3 update. This disabled my keyboard and trackpad - requiring my to hook up USB versions of both. Then moving forward to an Apple update to 10.5.6 really hosed the whole install. I was unable to boot, and started again from scratch.

At this point I realised I had several knowledge gaps that needed to be patched - namely what the hell are these kext things, what's a plist and how does the whole boot process work? So back to reading and playing.

To cut a long story short I abandoned the Kalyway install at the same time as I changed the video card, and started playing with the boot-132 install idea. I have a retail DVD of Leopard and figured I might as well use it. This seemed to work fabulously well (with the new video card). Full 1680x1050 screen resolution right out of the box. The other nice thing about using the boot-132 idea is that you can always boot to your instance from the CD if you do something that prevents your installation from booting. This happened to to me many many times and saved me a ton of time while allowing me to experiment with relatively {censored} abandon.

I created 4 partitions on a GUID disk (500GB)

1 - HackBook

2 - Vista

3 - Hackboot safe

4 - HackBook test

I made liberal use of restoring partitions while trying things that broke my install (in disk utilities). It takes a while to copy a partition - but if far less effort than doing a reinstall from scratch

I can boot to any of these partitions using the vista boot loader. I did have this working using the Darwin boot loader with Chameleon - but broke it and could not figure out how to get it working again.

I have managed to use Apple updates to move from 10.5.0 through to 10.5.5. I downloaded each update and ran them singly rather than using the combo updates. At this point 10.5.6 still causes me issues (but I don't recall the details at present - I will update when I next try it).

I am very happy with what I have working:

Screen res 1680x1050

both cores

wireless (not tried wired ethernet)

bluetooth

deep sleep - and wake up

sleep on lid close

sound

battery meter (in test partition only so far)

No over heating issues (I assume this means SSE is working)

time machine

Issues to resolve

Battery meter

Upgrade to 10.5.6

I would also like to understand the sound issue better. I had a devil of a time getting sound to work and still do not understand how I managed to do it. Suffice to say I saved the install that was working and used this as my base.

Anyway - just wanted to share a brief and somewhat fractured synopsis of my experiences over that last ten days and thank all those who contribute to the forum. Without this group I would have struggled to get anywhere near as far as I have. Special kudos to the Great Deceiver.

If anyone working on a similar project to mine wants to pick my brains as to what I did and didn't do - please feel free to do so. And if anyone has some tips for moving from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 I'd be very interested.

Meantime I have a fully functional system (I think) and have been able to install the iPhone SDK. I get the feeling that understanding the iPhone SDK is going to be a far longer task than was build the HackBook.

Update - I applied the 10.5.6 update to my test instance and it succeeded, but broke the internal keyboard and trackpad as well as the sound. I am going to play with it a little, but not very hopefull.

ha, you copied my sig - then you should know there is sonotone's patcher for your hardware issues. your keyboard and trackpad are gone because of AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. Either copy your 10.5.5 AppleACPIPlatform.kext back to your extensions or do it the cleaner way following sonotone's suggestion.

your sound can be fixed with sonotone's most recent patcher (see above thread, first post).

good luck

GreatDeceiver,

Apologies for the blatant sig plagiarism. I hope you'll take it in the sense of imitation being the greatest form of flattery. I note that you have now ratcheted yours up a notch - looks good.

Thanks for the pointers I will try them later this evening.

I just came back from Frys with 4GB of RAM for $22 (after @20 mail-in rebate), so that will be my first play item.

GreatDeceiver,

Apologies for the blatant sig plagiarism. I hope you'll take it in the sense of imitation being the greatest form of flattery. I note that you have now ratcheted yours up a notch - looks good.

Thanks for the pointers I will try them later this evening.

I just came back from Frys with 4GB of RAM for $22 (after @20 mail-in rebate), so that will be my first play item.

nice price for the RAM, next they throw it at you. Don't give up on the first try when installing the new modules. Mine took three reboots and some waiting to be recognized.

GD,

Awesome. Replacing the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext worked for the keyboard and trackpad. However I am still without a sound device. In preferences I have no output or input devices found. I have been down this road before and was unable to resolve it except by some accident. I am beginning to wonder if I do indeed have a sigmatel9200. How would I confirm/dispell this? The entry in system info says:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x102801BD

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

From what I read this is the Sigmatel 9200. I have tried time and again intalling support for it from Sonotone's 1.4 updater - but to no avail. Any ideas?

GD,

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x102801BD

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

From what I read this is the Sigmatel 9200. I have tried time and again intalling support for it from Sonotone's 1.4 updater - but to no avail. Any ideas?

yes, it's identical to mine:

I was trying to find the original post by jasonz with the fixed drivers (no luck). I do remember that I had some problems after upgrading from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 before and the dell post patcher didn't help. Sonotone may know where to find that thread. I was only successful when I deleted the hda kext and installed the fixed one with kexthelper. I suggest you extract the hda kexts from sonotone's patcher and install them the same way. in my case something stopped sonotone's patcher installation. Another problem may be that you need the hdaenabler kext (some people reported success after installing that). When I went from retail 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 I had no problems getting my audio.

and this is what it should look like (note that mic will not work):

Device ID:	0x102801BD
 Audio ID:	12
 Available Devices:
 S/P-DIF Out:
 Connection:	RCA
 Headphone:
 Connection:	1/8 inch Jack
 Speaker:
 Connection:	Internal
 Microphone:
 Connection:	1/8 inch Jack

GD,

Success on the Audio front! I took your advice and tried installing packages directly from Sonotones 1.4 installer. Now there are 5 applehda packages in there; applehda.pkg, applehda-1.pkg, applehda-2.pkg, applehda-3.pkg, applehda-4.pkg. Trying each in turn by installing with osx86 tools, I was successful with applehda-3.pkg.

Now to apply the lessons learned from the test install to the main instance.... LOL

GD,

Success on the Audio front! I took your advice and tried installing packages directly from Sonotones 1.4 installer. Now there are 5 applehda packages in there; applehda.pkg, applehda-1.pkg, applehda-2.pkg, applehda-3.pkg, applehda-4.pkg. Trying each in turn by installing with osx86 tools, I was successful with applehda-3.pkg.

Now to apply the lessons learned from the test install to the main instance.... LOL

great! not sure why your battery meter isn't working. For me it disappeared when powermanagement bundle and appleacpiplatform kext didn't go well together. maybe looking at Chun-Nan's posts (his battery manager) will help.

GD,

Apologies. the battery meter is working. It started working just fine when I got 10.5.6 up and running and applied the updates. The only issue I have now is that Bluetooth isn't working. It worked prior to updates, so I need to investigate that. I don't recall seeing any posts regarding Bluetooth, so I might be on my own on this one.

Just wanted to thank all who took part in creating this topic. I currently own a E1705 with iPC osx86 10.5.6 installed on it, and it is running beautifully. Even my SD card reader is working with help of the post installer. This machine has the dreaded ATI X1400 in it and even that is working. Still has a very small amount of screen tearing but it's barely noticable. I recommend one of the following install disks as these were the ones that worked best for me: Kalyway's 10.5.2, iATKOS 4.1i 10.5.4, or iPC osx86 10.5.6. Thanks all!

Finally had time to upgrade from my old iAtkos 10.5.1 to a Kalyway based 10.5.2 upgraded to 10.5.6 installation. Details in the sig.

Intel Core Duo T2500 - 2Ghz at 667MHz FSB

Oddly I am getting pretty awful benchmarks using Geekbench and XBench compared to others from before.

Geekbench Score: 1311

Integer Score: 956

Floating Point Score: 1786

Memory Score: 1149

Stream Score: 1218

XBench Scores

Without HD Test: 74.01

Results 74.01

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.6 (9G55)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model MacBookPro4,1

Drive Type ST9120821AS ST9120821AS

CPU Test 42.23

GCD Loop 129.72 6.84 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 44.62 1.06 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 22.73 749.99 Mflop/sec

Floating Point Library 48.50 8.45 Mops/sec

Thread Test 92.67

Computation 82.68 1.67 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 105.41 4.53 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 95.03

System 85.09

Allocate 110.14 404.46 Kalloc/sec

Fill 73.79 3587.81 MB/sec

Copy 79.22 1636.20 MB/sec

Stream 107.59

Copy 104.64 2161.28 MB/sec

Scale 105.47 2178.93 MB/sec

Add 111.82 2382.00 MB/sec

Triad 108.75 2326.37 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 88.24

Line 66.93 4.46 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 91.20 27.23 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 77.44 6.31 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 74.62 1.88 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 225.16 14.08 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 63.53

Spinning Squares 63.53 80.59 frames/sec

User Interface Test 111.04

Elements 111.04 509.62 refresh/sec

Integer score being less than Floating Point score seems a bit suspicious in Geekbench.

XBench CPU score is exceptionally low concidering its running dual core.

Netkas CPU-X reports CPU clock to be 1997 MHz which is right so not sure what could be causing the low performance.

This is with no other apps running in the background.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Demonhawk

Having issues with hot swapping USB devices such as pen / flash drives and/or external usb-sata HD. This worked fine in tiger, but running Kalway 10.5.2 on Dell E1505, everything is functioning properly but this.

If I connect the devices and reboot / boot the system, they are recognized... once the system comes up if I connect devices to it that weren't there prior to boot, they are not detected... I've tried several things I've read in this thread, anyone have any ideas?

Dell E1505

Core Duo - 2 Cores Supported with updated Kernel

Sigmatel 9200 - Supported

Dell 1390 Wireless - Supported

Broadcom 440X 10/100 Ethernet - Supported

Intel GMA 950 Graphics - Supported with QE/CI (no artifacts)

bulldank,

I have had this issue several times. Perseverance has managed to conquer it thus far. Check that you are running a Darwin kernel that matches 10.5.2 (I think it should be 9.2). If you do not have that then these kinds of issues seem to raise their head.

You can easily change kernels using osxtools.

I think you can see your kernel version by typing uname -a in a terminal window.

ps.. I am feeling my way with this stuff too, so if someone want's to correct me where I am in error please do so.

bulldank,

I have had this issue several times. Perseverance has managed to conquer it thus far. Check that you are running a Darwin kernel that matches 10.5.2 (I think it should be 9.2). If you do not have that then these kinds of issues seem to raise their head.

You can easily change kernels using osxtools.

I think you can see your kernel version by typing uname -a in a terminal window.

ps.. I am feeling my way with this stuff too, so if someone want's to correct me where I am in error please do so.

mryder66,

It's extremely weird, I am running a 9.2 kernel for 10.5.2 kalway release, it's the dual core kernel, which is functioning brilliantly as I am experiencing no lag or stutter in the performance of the PC..

The results of my uname -a from the terminal window are as follows...

Darwin admins-mac-pro.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Fri Jul 25 10:00:26 CDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13.obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

What's even stranger to me, is if I go into the about this mac screen and request more info, I scroll down to the USB tree and I can see the devices showing in the tree as connected, such as my iPhone, USB drive and what not... but they never load up as functioning onto the desktop. Now say I leave them connected and reboot the machine, they display just fine. I know this has to be something real simple and conquering this will make my machine a fully functional mac, which would be tremendous for me. I actually bought a licensed copy of leopard, but just don't have the funds to purchase mac hardware... being a working class student sucks!

Any other help out there? I'm newer to the mac area, but pretty good in overall unix, bsd, linux and windows environments.

Having issues with hot swapping USB devices such as pen / flash drives and/or external usb-sata HD. This worked fine in tiger, but running Kalway 10.5.2 on Dell E1505, everything is functioning properly but this.

If I connect the devices and reboot / boot the system, they are recognized... once the system comes up if I connect devices to it that weren't there prior to boot, they are not detected... I've tried several things I've read in this thread, anyone have any ideas?

if you had written 10.5.6 I would give sth that works 100%. I had the identical problem and I was able to fix it by deleting AppleHPET.kext from extensions. again, this worked for me under 10.5.6 and may not do it under 10.5.2. be aware that you loose the capability to wake the system from sleep via usb device when you delete this kext. but you got gma950 and can't do that anyway (therefore no harm to delete it).

good luck

Finally had time to upgrade from my old iAtkos 10.5.1 to a Kalyway based 10.5.2 upgraded to 10.5.6 installation. Details in the sig.

Oddly I am getting pretty awful benchmarks using Geekbench and XBench compared to others from before.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Demonhawk

is it possible that you have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext running after the 10.5.6 upgrade? that put my system to its knees. delete it.

Just wanted to thank all who took part in creating this topic. I currently own a E1705 with iPC osx86 10.5.6 installed on it, and it is running beautifully. Even my SD card reader is working with help of the post installer. This machine has the dreaded ATI X1400 in it and even that is working. Still has a very small amount of screen tearing but it's barely noticable. I recommend one of the following install disks as these were the ones that worked best for me: Kalyway's 10.5.2, iATKOS 4.1i 10.5.4, or iPC osx86 10.5.6. Thanks all!

excellent and thank you for posting your results with iPC 10.5.6. I wasn't sure which of the many releases of 10.5.6 to download. this makes the decision easy.

if you had written 10.5.6 I would give sth that works 100%. I had the identical problem and I was able to fix it by deleting AppleHPET.kext from extensions. again, this worked for me under 10.5.6 and may not do it under 10.5.2. be aware that you loose the capability to wake the system from sleep via usb device when you delete this kext. but you got gma950 and can't do that anyway (therefore no harm to delete it).

good luck

is it possible that you have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext running after the 10.5.6 upgrade? that put my system to its knees. delete it.

excellent and thank you for posting your results with iPC 10.5.6. I wasn't sure which of the many releases of 10.5.6 to download. this makes the decision easy.

Deceiver,

Thanks for the info, I believe it was your post that I may have come across earlier and already deleted that particular kext and repaired permissions, still to no avail. The kernel I'm running is from the dell post install app, for 10.5.2 dual core, I'm glad I'm not the only one thats had this issue at least, yet it irks me... It has to be so small, as I've had this working wonderfully under tiger.... I just don't know what direction, I've read so many different things, pretty soon I'm gonna have like 4 total kext and no support for anything.. LOL

Deceiver,

Thanks for the info, I believe it was your post that I may have come across earlier and already deleted that particular kext and repaired permissions, still to no avail. The kernel I'm running is from the dell post install app, for 10.5.2 dual core, I'm glad I'm not the only one thats had this issue at least, yet it irks me... It has to be so small, as I've had this working wonderfully under tiger.... I just don't know what direction, I've read so many different things, pretty soon I'm gonna have like 4 total kext and no support for anything.. LOL

I assume you have read this as well. maybe a solution for you? Slice was actually who posted the half-baked solution of deleting hpet. he has his own thread here

Had the same problem with my 9400. After delta 10.5.6 update from 10.5.5, i felt the system slowly, then test it and got a poor 1700 geekbench result.

Then i installed the combo and this was fixed, geekbench results around 26OO.

I've just removed AppleIntelCPUblabla... and don't use specific dsdt.aml.

Before I go ahead and update to 10.5.6 via software update, is there any way to check on my PC_EFI/chameleon version and compatibility? I'm fairly certain I installed an earlier version when 10.5.5 was just available via Sonotone's installer, but have since installed V9. Anyone know a way to verify, or a safe way to redo it all? Just want to play it carefully and not have to start all over.

bulldank,

Go into system/library/extensions folder. Right click on system.kext and check the version number. If that number doesn't match the number of your kernel, simply use pacifist to get the system kext which matches the kernel. Backup and trash the existing System.kext and install the new one with osx tools. I had to do this for both my desktop and laptop hackintoshes.