[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

shoelaceninja: Did you disable multi-core in the bios? If you did and it still doesn't work, all I can recommend is waiting for your iAtkos DVD to finish downloading. That should work from what I've heard, but I've never used that one. I use iDeneb 10.5.5

---

I just finally got VGA-out to work!

The problem was indeed finding the right NVCAP and inserting it into Natit. In case anyone with a similar setup (Dell e1505 w/GeForce Go 7300) wants to try mine, it's:

04000000 00000D00 02000000 00000007 00000000

I'm really beginning to enjoy my "Macbook" now ;)

Hey guys, nice place.

Heres what I have:

Dell e1505 with

Nvidia 7300 GO

80gb HDD

2gb ram

No bluetooth

What I have managed to do.

I have managed to dual boot Windows XP and Lepoard.

Using the iATKOS_5i ISO. It worked and installed flawlessly. MUCH better than the 10.4 Tiger ISO I tried. It kept giving me random errors on reboot after install, mainly "Waiting on root device.." I also manged to completely wipe out Acronis boot loader LOL, but OSXs boot loader works fine so...meh.

Nonetheless I got iATKOS_5i to install, However Im having some small issues.

I dont know if I installed the wrong patchs but Im hving to use a dell USB keyboard and mouse, I cannot get OSX to recognize the touchpad or keyboard. I couldnt even get into OSX with hooking up the mouse and keyboard. They worked fine during the install process, but now they dont. Wireless and speedstep work perfect. I also dont have sound...apparently,

I used the dell Dell_Laptop_Post_Installer_v1.3.dmg.zip to install most everything tht I thought I needed, it seemed to help the speed of the system. But still no sound or working touch pad nd keyboard.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I didn't see any driver for my video card on the iATKOS dvd. in the agreement/info page after i booted up from the dvd it said i needed an x1300 or better. i have an x1300, but there were no drivers for it. I used the options that it recommended for the install, but it did the neverending reboot cycle like kalyway did. Idk if i'm just not picking the right drivers or what. But when i went to install kalyway again, i changed the cpu to 1 core in bios like you said and i'm still getting the lines and blank screen. Idk what i'm doing wrong here.

Obviously i'm doing something wrong and not catching it.

Also, when booting the kalyway disk up, is it normal to see "read-only" file system showing up here and there in the text going by on the screen?

was finally able to install this. I had retail 10.5.5 with voodoo kernel and netkas' new pcefi9 installed with extra extensions from sonotone's dell patcher.

note: I had to open applications for repair beforehand because after the update installer was done and the system ready to be restarted I was not able to open any applications. I think that I was not able to install this before and got all kinds of kps because I did not have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from 10.5.5 present.

1) downloaded 372mb update

2) deleted IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext (xnu) to make sure I have no problems with that

3) collected 10.5.5 kexts for repair

AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, seatbelt.kext, System.kext

4) opened up kexthelper and put all the above kexts in there, input password so that it's ready to install kexts

5) opened diskutility, pointed to leopard drive so it's ready to click repair permissions

6) installed update to get ready to restart message

7) installed above kexts with kexthelper

8) repaired permissions of osx partition

9) restarted with the installer

10) it booted twice then back into system. Everything running fine so far. I can mount dmg files, both cores are working (thanks to voodoo kernel), sound is working, time machine and wireless are working. Deep sleep is still working (thanks to netkas). full graphics capabilities. no itunes or other mouse lag issues. About this Mac works fine.

will check speedstep next...

edit1: superhai's speedstep is working. xnu's most recent IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext.1.4.5 breaks the system (kps on boot).

edit2: replacing the keyboard.prefpane from 10.5.6 (in my case about 25mb) with the one from 10.5.5 (about 12mb) brings back trackpad tab in mouse&keyboard preferences.

ignore edit2 and follow Chrysaor's post just below mine for a much better way to do this.

good luck

but also color branding as well =[

Use this injector if you are having color banding. It has NVCAP for Go 7900 GS so you might want to change it depending on your system.

NVinject.kext.zip

edit2: replacing the keyboard.prefpane from 10.5.6 (in my case about 25mb) with the one from 10.5.5 (about 12mb) brings back trackpad tab in mouse&keyboard preferences. Just copying and pasting/overwriting with admin rights works to do this. grab your 10.5.5 pane from time machine backup.

You don't need to do that, see this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1001436

I just got my Vista & OSX working on my e1705, and I have a few questions. I'll also share my experience installing.

I'll start with my specs.

Intel Centrino Core Duo T2600 2.16 GHz

1GB RAM

GMA 950 Integrated Graphics

Sigmatel 9200 Audio

Before I installed, I was dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu with the GRUB bootloader running on my first partition which is Vista. I used Super GRUB Disc to restore Vista's MBR. Once I had that working, I wiped out my Ubuntu partitions and backed up Vista. I formatted the open space with DISKPART following the guide on this site. I then booted the Kalyway 10.5.2 disc and opened disk utility. I erased the partition I made and formatted it to Mac Journaled. I customized the install and started it. This is when it got intersting.

The install got hung up at the Automator installation with "About 7 minutes remaining". When I moved the mouse a bunch of text scrolled by and and the computer froze up. The installer said "About one minute remaining". I gave it another 10 minutes and nothing happened, so I restarted. I did everything the same again with the erase and install, but picking a different kernel and kexts. Same result. I started up the installer a third time. I reformatted the partition again, but before I started the install I checked the guide again. Turned out I forgot to make the partition active. After I did that, I booted to the Kalyway DVD and that's when something weird happened.

I got the OSX welcome screen. I was expecting the installer since I reformatted, but I guess I formatted it the same nothing happened. Anyways everything started up normal and I ran sonotone's post-installer and pcwiz's OSX86 Installer as well. I got everyting to work except for Sleep, Wifi, and DVI output as far as I know. It also broke sleep and hibernate in Vista as well.

So my main question is how do I get sleep working. It goes to sleep, but once I press the power button it comes on, but the screen never comes up. I'm using the vanilla 9.2.0 kernel with the dual-core patch applied. I'm waiting until after Christmas to upgrade because I'm getting an external hard-drive to backup to. I tried the "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" fix, but I get a UUID error: 35. I'm not really sure what I need to do here. Deciever, I noticed you got it working on your e1705. How did you do it?

Other than that, everything else works fine. I use wired ethernet and that is good. The scrolling is a bit funky. Light-touch moves the mouse and heavy touch scroll. I took me forever to figure it out, but I'm good with it now.

So, yea...How do I fix sleep? In either OSX or Vista.

Thanks!

More news on the sleep issue. I used sonotone's dell laptop post installer and installed all of the power management stuff and restarted. When I tried to sleep the display came back up, but The colors were crazy and I got the a message telling me I had to hard boot.

I also noticed every time I boot I get a message when darwin loads that says:

Sleep failed

Sleep image is garbage

Hibernate failed

Finally I tried "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" and I get _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Any ideas. It's the only thing I can't get.

Ok Great Deceiver, I have a challenge for you lol.

I messed up installing the Voodoo kernel, but I made a backup of my original ToH 9.2.0 with Netkas Sleep. So my question is, how can I replace my kernal, without being able to boot into OSX?

Also, can I use Vanilla Kernal? I have the e1505 with the Nvidia Geforce 7300 Go and the Core2 Centrino @2.0Ghz with 4GB DDR 4-4-4-12 installed.

Also, to install PCEFI v9 do I just copy over the "boot" file in the root of my OSX HDD? And I'm assuming that once I fix the Voodoo Kernel or Vanilla, I will be able to update to 10.5.6 through Apple Software Update.

Thanks.

Nevermind. I installed the Voodoo Kernal, and disabled "Secure Virtual Memory" and have my hibernatemode 1, but deep sleep freezes up (clamshell and menu) It worked with the 9.2.0 Netkas Kernal. I still want to know if I can install Vanilla Kernel, and how to properly install PCEFI v9 and then update to 10.5.6

Ok Great Deceiver, I have a challenge for you lol.

I messed up installing the Voodoo kernel, but I made a backup of my original ToH 9.2.0 with Netkas Sleep. So my question is, how can I replace my kernal, without being able to boot into OSX?

Also, can I use Vanilla Kernal? I have the e1505 with the Nvidia Geforce 7300 Go and the Core2 Centrino @2.0Ghz with 4GB DDR 4-4-4-12 installed.

Also, to install PCEFI v9 do I just copy over the "boot" file in the root of my OSX HDD? And I'm assuming that once I fix the Voodoo Kernel or Vanilla, I will be able to update to 10.5.6 through Apple Software Update.

Thanks.

I assume you know that pcefi9 only works on guid partitions. if yours is still mbr than it won't work. I ran into that same wall and had to completely repartition my drive for guid. also see sonotone's updated patcher which has pcefi9 and a new patched 10.5.6 kernel for you.

i have ideneb v 1.3 10.5.5 .

inspiron 6400

it install good but after restart the logo and the loading bar come and it goes to a Black screen and do nothing.

hi, first guess is that it's your graphics driver (your system is likely still responsive after boot and mouse movements cause the hard drive to respond?). if you have gma950, then you can just plug in an external monitor. once plugged in boot into osx again. then add "sleep display" activation under expose which you find in system preferences for your favorite screen corner (eg. top right). shut down your notebook, unplug external monitor, restart and wait until you get the black screen. then move mouse into your corner of choice (since you don't see anything, just keep moving mouse or trackpad into corner), then back and you should have your display on. you have to try this a couple times, sometimes it takes a little while until the system completely boots into the os.

good luck

also, I highly recommend to use sonotone's patcher for your system. He just updated it.

those of you with E1505 and gma950. if you loose hotplug USB after upgrade to 10.5.6, try to delete/disable AppleHPET and AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. it worked for me. Note that this only works for gma950 100% because we don't have sleep mode 3, which you loose on other hardware (your usb won't wake up the system anymore).

tgd

Total noob here to the hackintosh scene.

Read through the OP thread, and read some responses, but am still very confused by what all is going on.

I downloaded the "Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd", the 1052 Backup Ktext download (from some page in the 50s) and the Genuine MacOSX Combo 10.5.2. updater.

What else do I need and what do I need to do (any specific thread for my hardware?) to get an install working. Is there any better way (other than the Kalyway) to get everything setup? I hear there are some problems with the ATI X1300 card, but I don't know what all to do since there are so many different options. I need a pretty much perfect install except for power management, so what would be the easiest way to get this? Have any other E1505 users had luck with this?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Setup

Dell E1505

Core 2 Duo (1.83)

1 GB RAM

ATI X1300

Total noob here to the hackintosh scene.

Read through the OP thread, and read some responses, but am still very confused by what all is going on.

I downloaded the "Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd", the 1052 Backup Ktext download (from some page in the 50s) and the Genuine MacOSX Combo 10.5.2. updater.

What else do I need and what do I need to do (any specific thread for my hardware?) to get an install working. Is there any better way (other than the Kalyway) to get everything setup? I hear there are some problems with the ATI X1300 card, but I don't know what all to do since there are so many different options. I need a pretty much perfect install except for power management, so what would be the easiest way to get this? Have any other E1505 users had luck with this?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Setup

Dell E1505

Core 2 Duo (1.83)

1 GB RAM

ATI X1300

most of your hardware problems will be addressed with sonotone's patcher. That is all you really need. Before you install, make sure you go into bios and disable one of the two cores. then install the patcher with a kernel for c2d (in your case 9.2). once that is done you can enable both cores in bios. You even get powermanagement with superhai's new kext (in sonotone's patcher). Kalyway worked best for me, but I have no experience with atix1300, sorry.

On another topic, I highly recommend to upgrade your memory, it's really cheap at the moment. your mobo supports 4Gb. I just bought 2x2Gb for a little over $30.

good luck

I have a slight problem .

I cannot get my system to deepsleep

I have noticed that the great deceiver has managed it and almost our systems are identical.......

we both have gma950 etc etc.

Today I installed Iatkos 10.5.4 in an usb disk with guid partion.

I then installed netkas efi v9 but I still get as do in my normal disk sleep image has garbage

any clear indication in what to do would be appreciated

I have a slight problem .

I cannot get my system to deepsleep

I have noticed that the great deceiver has managed it and almost our systems are identical.......

we both have gma950 etc etc.

Today I installed Iatkos 10.5.4 in an usb disk with guid partion.

I then installed netkas efi v9 but I still get as do in my normal disk sleep image has garbage

any clear indication in what to do would be appreciated

robi, two things to check first: I assume you have sleep mode 1. Others do not work for me. Try the hibernate script attached which will set your mode to 1 and put it to deep sleep if it can. Before you use that check what you got at the moment:

$ pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

it will then answer with

hibernatemode  "yours"

in addition I have the "use secure virtual memory" unchecked under the security prefpane. That should not be the problem though (but you never know). Let me know if these requirements are already met and I will dig a little deeper.

hibernate.zip

Great DEceiver, I installed your config for two finger scrolling (actually 1) from sonotone's updated patcher, but i dont think its working properly. For example, is two finger scrolling supposed to be checked off in the preference pane? and when it isnt checked off, if i click and track a scroll bar for example, I can scroll without clicking, but then i have to click it again to stop it from scrolling. Is that what 1 finger scrolling is? :)

robi, two things to check first: I assume you have sleep mode 1. Others do not work for me. Try the hibernate script attached which will set your mode to 1 and put it to deep sleep if it can. Before you use that check what you got at the moment:

$ pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

it will then answer with

hibernatemode  "yours"

in addition I have the "use secure virtual memory" unchecked under the security prefpane. That should not be the problem though (but you never know). Let me know if these requirements are already met and I will dig a little deeper.

done that already but as I say every time I boot up I get dreaded message sleep image has garbage

when I try sleep then everything goes off as it should but when i press on button computer starts but black screen.

I am not really worried about sleeping everything else works good so you cannot be choosy

Great DEceiver, I installed your config for two finger scrolling (actually 1) from sonotone's updated patcher, but i dont think its working properly. For example, is two finger scrolling supposed to be checked off in the preference pane? and when it isnt checked off, if i click and track a scroll bar for example, I can scroll without clicking, but then i have to click it again to stop it from scrolling. Is that what 1 finger scrolling is? :huh:

yes, two finger scrolling needs to be checked off. otherwise it will be too jerky and you can't control the scroll. 2finger scrolling doesn't work on the e1505/6400. the trackpad then works with 1finger scrolling. light touch and you move the mouse just like normal. if you press your finger harder and roll it then slide you can scroll. you release and just do the normal light touch and you move the mouse.

hope that helps

Hello

I use Inspiron 6400/Core Duo T2300E/GMA950 japanese keyboard model.

Install method is iATKOS 10.5.5 and Sonotone's patch V1.4. (EFI V9/Voodoo kernel/superhai)

Dual Core, SpeedStep, SD Card slot, and Spaeker/Headphone switch works fine.

Sleep can be done.

However, the system doesn't return even if the power button is pushed. :(

Battery icon is still gone. Mouse tearing and artifacts remain appearing.

These problems cannot be solved. Is it good when doing very?