[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Can i get anybody to answer any of my questions?? Please???

I am sorry I missed your post. good you bumped it. some of this can be fixed with sonotone's beautiful dell patcher? make sure you use the latest one (Installer v1.3.1 (updated 11/06/2008))

1. Is it possible to get my native resolution? or nobody is able to do that yet?

sorry, I have gma950. hope somebody else with ati can help you

2. How can I get my sound to work?

see sonotone patcher, works for me (I had to do this twice to get this to work on my system).

3. How can I connect to an external monitor? (I plug a VGA cable into my laptop and nothing happens. I have a MacBook and when I plug in an external monitor it immediately knows I connected it and will extend my screen to the monitor)

I have no problem with my gma950 but I heard from others with ati cards who have similar issues with external displays.

4. Can I get both my processors to work? (are both working already even though it says "Number of Processors: 1" in my system profiler)

yes, see sonotone's patcher. there are patched kernels that allow both cores to work (you need to use 9.5.2 under Other in the patcher). you do not have to use cpus=1 in the com.apple.boot.plist and you can enable both cores in bios if you have set it to one.

5. Can I get two-finger scrolling to work?

I don't think this is working for E1505/6400. I suggest you look at sonotone's solution in his patcher and posts about it in the same thread.

6. Still no hope for wireless with the Intel Wireless card?

I got a cheap Dell wireless on ebay that works flawlessly.

and good luck. Make an image of your partition (I use Acronis true image). When you screw it up you can just put the last working system back (takes about 20-30min for a 30Gb partition, certainly less than figuring out complex osx system problems if you are new to it).

E1505/6400 4Gb Ram

sccarlso,

not sure if you saw this question in my last post. how in the world were you able to install 4Gb of memory? I thought the E1505/6400 can only take 2Gb max, at least according to Dell specs.

curious

Here's what I can tell you from my experience on my E1505

Use the iDeneb 1.3 OSX 10.5.5, download it from a torrent. Options I used are Speedstep kernel SSE3, and select no video options at all, Intel ich fix, sigmatel 9200 sound, the first 2 selections for wireless, and the first selection in the ethernet list (broadcom 440x). Do NOT select the cpu=1 option, disable dual core in bios before installing, and install the additional apps. The kext installer, one of the additional apps is very helpful.

If you have a Dell 1390 wireless card it will work fine and detect as an airport card. Ethernet will work, you will have base video so you can complete the install. Sound will not work yet.

1. Is it possible to get my native resolution? or nobody is able to do that yet?

- No, not with that ATI card (either the x1300 or x1400). If you want native video, spend $50 and get a GeForce GO 7300 card for the E1505/6400 off ebay and swap it out. That's what I did. Then you can use NVinject to get solid video performance, hardware core, QE/GL supported. Although in my case, I can't get OpenGL to fully work. Xbench scores it really well and the OpenGL test displays ok, but the DVD player doesn't display properly. But everything else works besides the DVD player in full native res of the laptop screen.

- After installing, run the Dell Post installer 1.3 (google for "Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3.dmg" and you can DL it from mediafire). It has many good kexts for Dell laptops like enabling the sound buttons on the laptop, sound support (sound works after installing this sigmatel 9200 kext). It also has a safe update decrypt so you can DL apple updates without issue (so far so good for me!)

3. How can I connect to an external monitor? (I plug a VGA cable into my laptop and nothing happens. I have a MacBook and when I plug in an external monitor it immediately knows I connected it and will extend my screen to the monitor)

- Should work after you install the NVinject from the Dell post installer so your Nvidia graphics card is detected properly. Mine shows external video not connected in the about this mac screen but I haven't tried to connect a monitor.

4. Can I get both my processors to work? (are both working already even though it says "Number of Processors: 1" in my system profiler)

- The Dell post installer has additional kernels, I installed the 9.5 dual core kernel and on shutdown, I re-enabled the other core and both are detected and work fine. You need to install a speedstep kext which I was helped with earlier in this thread and it worked great.

- Not worth the hassle. So far installing touchpad kexts messes up the mouse for me. Tap selecting works fine tho and that's all I really cared about, just enable it in the mouse options.

- Depends what card, I have the Dell 1390 and it works fine. You can probably get a 1390 if yours is the ABG or other card which doesn't seem to work from what I've read.

It will take some trial and error, but once you have a base iDeneb installed, plug in a USB drive formatted for OSX and backup with Time Machine so if you mess something up you can go back. Also make a backup of any kext you edit or replace and put it in a folder on that USB drive so if you mess it up you can put the original one back.

Lastly, when you install any kext or such make sure to repair permissions on the disk. You can use the tool installed by iDeneb or the disk utility to do this.

Good luck! If it was easy, everyone would be doing it :)

Missed a question.

The thing about the Inspiron E1505/6400 and the E1705 being limited to 2GB is a lie. You can install two 2GB DDR2 SODIMM's and it works fine. But unless you install a 64bit OS you will be limited to 3.3GB accessible. I have one of each model and have 4GB installed on each one

If you want 4GB go to newegg.com and search for "N82E16820231135" 4GB for $39.99 with free shipping and works perfectly in the E1505/E1705 Inspirons.

:D

The thing about the Inspiron E1505/6400 and the E1705 being limited to 2GB is a lie. You can install two 2GB DDR2 SODIMM's and it works fine. But unless you install a 64bit OS you will be limited to 3.3GB accessible. I have one of each model and have 4GB installed on each one

If you want 4GB go to newegg.com and search for "N82E16820231135" 4GB for $39.99 with free shipping and works perfectly in the E1505/E1705 Inspirons.

:)

holy {censored}, when I installed the memory it didn't boot at all, just a bunch of blinking lights and nothing. I tried all kinds of combinations with new set and old set. nothing worked. I then installed only one of the new modules. system booted fine. I figured it doesn't work above 2Gb. then I added the second module and the system finally posted with an error that system memory changed. Still nothing happened after that. I rebooted a few times and all of a sudden it would allow me to hit F1 to continue. Since then the system boots fine with all 4Gb recognized (Vista 64).

wow, thank you so much for this tip sccarlso, now you are my hero ;). Not sure how to explain the above behavior, but in the end I don't care - it's working great. btw. I got the more expensive ram with 4-4-4-12 timing (supposed to be a little better than latency 5). Of course right after I bought that they had the same deal back that you got.

cheers!!

on another note:

Ok, I did a complete reinstall with a retail dvd 10.5.4 and sonotone's inspiron dfe iso and harddisk dmg compilations from his first page. everything worked as advertised.

I can boot the system only to an external monitor. then I can apply the dell patcher and the gma950 drivers. on reboot my laptop monitor shows fine, however only one display res 1024x768, no qe. I then force it into 1280x800 in com.apple.boot.plist. After reboot I get full graphics capabilities including other resolutions and qe all on the laptop display.

using netkas deepsleep efi/chameleon I can get the E1505 to deep sleep as well.

starting hibernate - wake kernel! and desktop comes back. I am using hibernatemode 1 btw. yohooo!

I then installed Vista 64 on a second partition according to this nice guide. need to update my sig now.

Yep, I had that happen to me the first time I did it, after putting in two 2GB modules it just sat there. But after waiting about a minute it finally posted and said the memory had changed but didn't give me any option to continue or go into setup...

I thought it was stuck but I just let it "think" for about a minute after it gave the memory changing error and then finally it continued to boot so I could go into setup and all works perfectly :D

I'm still hopeful a new driver or NVinject comes out that fixes my DVD player problem with the Nvidia GeForce GO 7300 in my E1505, but everything else is working great so I'm happy!

Here's what I can tell you from my experience on my E1505

Use the iDeneb 1.3 OSX 10.5.5, download it from a torrent. Options I used are Speedstep kernel SSE3, and select no video options at all, Intel ich fix, sigmatel 9200 sound, the first 2 selections for wireless, and the first selection in the ethernet list (broadcom 440x). Do NOT select the cpu=1 option, disable dual core in bios before installing, and install the additional apps. The kext installer, one of the additional apps is very helpful.

If you have a Dell 1390 wireless card it will work fine and detect as an airport card. Ethernet will work, you will have base video so you can complete the install. Sound will not work yet.

- No, not with that ATI card (either the x1300 or x1400). If you want native video, spend $50 and get a GeForce GO 7300 card for the E1505/6400 off ebay and swap it out. That's what I did. Then you can use NVinject to get solid video performance, hardware core, QE/GL supported. Although in my case, I can't get OpenGL to fully work. Xbench scores it really well and the OpenGL test displays ok, but the DVD player doesn't display properly. But everything else works besides the DVD player in full native res of the laptop screen.

- After installing, run the Dell Post installer 1.3 (google for "Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3.dmg" and you can DL it from mediafire). It has many good kexts for Dell laptops like enabling the sound buttons on the laptop, sound support (sound works after installing this sigmatel 9200 kext). It also has a safe update decrypt so you can DL apple updates without issue (so far so good for me!)

- Should work after you install the NVinject from the Dell post installer so your Nvidia graphics card is detected properly. Mine shows external video not connected in the about this mac screen but I haven't tried to connect a monitor.

- The Dell post installer has additional kernels, I installed the 9.5 dual core kernel and on shutdown, I re-enabled the other core and both are detected and work fine. You need to install a speedstep kext which I was helped with earlier in this thread and it worked great.

- Not worth the hassle. So far installing touchpad kexts messes up the mouse for me. Tap selecting works fine tho and that's all I really cared about, just enable it in the mouse options.

- Depends what card, I have the Dell 1390 and it works fine. You can probably get a 1390 if yours is the ABG or other card which doesn't seem to work from what I've read.

It will take some trial and error, but once you have a base iDeneb installed, plug in a USB drive formatted for OSX and backup with Time Machine so if you mess something up you can go back. Also make a backup of any kext you edit or replace and put it in a folder on that USB drive so if you mess it up you can put the original one back.

Lastly, when you install any kext or such make sure to repair permissions on the disk. You can use the tool installed by iDeneb or the disk utility to do this.

Good luck! If it was easy, everyone would be doing it :(

Missed a question.

:)

Thanks for the replys guys!

Here is an update for me.

-Got both cores working with Sonotones Dell Post Installer V1.3

-Bought 4 Gigs of RAM from Newegg and in BIOS it says only 3.3GB is being used but in Leopard it says 4GB of RAM...so I'm guessing it is using all 4GB?

-Bought the Dell 1390 Wireless card and it works great!

-Bought the Nvidia 7300 Go Card. Installed NVInject. Able to get native resolution. BUT...for some reason it says 128MB of VRAM. It should be 256MB. What do I do about this??? Help? Also I can't get an external monitor to work any help with that also?

Not sure on the external monitor part. Even though my E1505 has the 7300 GO card, I actually used the NVinject and not the NVinject GO kext because the GO one didn't enable hardware acceleration or QE/OpenGL for some reason and just did software accel with unsupported on QE and OpenGL. I'm hoping for a newer NVinject version sometime down the road.

As for the memory, that's it. The 7300 GO only has 128MB on board, it shares the other 128MB when using a Windows driver, and I don't think the NVinject and other kexts can enable this shared memory option in OSX (or I just don't know how). The ATI X1300 and X1400 also share memory but people who have those don't have any option to get them working and it's been some time so as they age it's less and less likely to be any support for them, but I kept my old one anyway just in case.

BTW, does your DVD player work? If so, what exact kext did you use on your system?

Attached is the Xbench scoring I get on my E1505 when I force it to 1.73Ghz instead of letting the speedstep do it's thing and with the NVinject installed and working w/hardware accel.

Xbench_withCPUforcedtomaxspeed.zip

Hello, please help me with new releases which will support my devices, or wich iso is the best now for Dell Inspiron E1705?

I currently downloading Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd

I already downloaded (Kalyway_10.5.2) 500mb using dial-up connection.

High speed Internet is very expensive in our country so I use dialup (also expensive).

Please help before I continue downloading...

Dell Inspiron E1705

Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T5200, 1600 MHz (12 x 133)

Motherboard Name Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705

North Bridge: Mobile Intel Calistoga-PM i945PM

South Bridge: Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M

HDD TOSHIBA MK1234GSX

Optical Drive Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A

Network

Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR)

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Video Card PCI Express 1.0 x16: nVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS (Dell)

Audio SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1] PCI

Ricoh R5C832 Memory Stick

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem (Very important for me)

Sorry but few forum posters are going to make a custom guide for you. But if you ask specific questions, we will try to answer.

Here's what you will need from my experiences. Get ready to install about 5 times.

What won't work

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection Haven't seen anyone get this to work, a Dell 1390 works out of the box.

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem I haven't seen modems for ages and there isn't much demand for people to fix drivers in OSX86 for them because so few people use them. There may be a driver but I didn't bother on mine.

If these are deal killers, buy a MacBook and save the headaches :)

If you have the patience, then the rest should be fine. I would recommend using the iDeneb 1.3 OSX 10.5.5 install DVD available on torrent.

You will also need the dell post installer 1.3 and NVinject to make your video work properly.

Install the main DVD with no video drivers extra or just the Intel 950GMA driver and other options that apply to you.

Then you use the Dell post installer which is a disc image to install additional drivers, and a dual core kernel.

Start at the top of this thread and read it all and give it a shot. If you use the Kalaway disc you are downloading that's fine, but you will still need the Dell post installer and NVinject for your video.

If you install and on first reboot it just gives you a black screen after the initial boot data, your video card setup is wrong.

Lots of reading, trial and error, but the information is out there. Remember that google is your friend so if you don't know what something is, google for it and do the research.

Good luck!

Sorry but few forum posters are going to make a custom guide for you. But if you ask specific questions, we will try to answer.

I do't posting a request for custom guide!!!

I was hopping that you will understand that downloading 2 DVD at 2kb/s is hard.

Now I cancel download (kalaway disc) and search for iDeneb 1.3 OSX 10.5.5.

Thank you very much!

although i'm not as experienced as the rest of the guys here, i would recommend you have kept downloading the kalyway version, but don't worry things should (fingers crossed) be fine with the edition you are downloading now

though the main thing that caught my attention was that you use dialup and sccarlso mentioned that the modem might not be supported, so therefore i would highly highlyyy recommend that you do some research and check if the modem is supported or not before going through with the install. if it isn't you'll be stuck without internet access unless you have some broadband solution but even the 440x broadcom ethernet device has been giving trouble as people have reported.

since you're using dialup and i myself having had used dialup for quite some time know how painfully slow it is to even browse the internet. so i'll do my best and try and find out if the modem is supported or not in OS X and post back the results by sunday.

Hey guys,

I've followed everything in this thread and have a working setup of the iDeneb 10.5.5 v1.3. E1505 btw

Only thing is, Time Machine will backup, but when i click to enter it from the dock, it doesn't work and just freezes up my desktop. Also i have the NVidia 7300 Go card and i installed drivers for it in the initial installation of Deneb, and then again with the Dell Post Installation. When i pull up its system profile though, it still says that QE isnt supported, but CI and QGL are.

I don't get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Nevermind. I fixed it with NVInstaller. But now, i still dont have any sleep mode. All that happens is it goes into sleep then when i get it out it shows the desktop then the top half of the screen gets a gray hue and then freezes.

Also Leopard won't start unless the iDeneb Install CD is in the drive. I get:

Boot:MBR

Boot: error

This was after I system restored using Time Machine...It used to work fine, then I manually shut it down when it was frozen from sleep mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks to all the advice on here, I've got iDeneb 10.5.5 up and running on my 6400. The only thing that has stumped me is the screen res, which is stuck at 1024x768 regardless of the different methods I've tried. I have a ATI x1300 Radeon, and the Dell Post Installer only has an x1400 kext option. I've been through manually editing the plist file a number of different ways, with no result.

Is there a definitive method to getting the X1300 mobility up and running that I've missed ? Googleing around show a developer ( Frenetik...Kinentik... something like that ) has put together kext files for a number of different cards, including the X1300 but withdrew them. Does anyone have this kext lying around somewhere ?

Thanks in advance.

Is there a definitive method to getting the X1300 mobility up and running that I've missed ? Googleing around show a developer ( Frenetik...Kinentik... something like that ) has put together kext files for a number of different cards, including the X1300 but withdrew them. Does anyone have this kext lying around somewhere ?

No, no, no. It has been said many times. The only thing is editing ATIinject by adding there your vendor id. BUT there comes the graphic shattering (You can get rid of mouse artifacts) and forget about native resolution. In one word - ugly. The only way to get it up and running is to use it with external display and natit ))) Then it works awesome, but not for lappie screen, trust me I tried so many possible solutions. Finally I just bought nVidia card and replaced the ATI, its not to hard to do and costs only about 40 bucks ))

Thanks for answering Jurek. That's what I was after. I'm looking around for a GeForce 7300 Go, but they're rarer than hen's teeth it seems. Ebay has some tantalising case badges I can stick on the laptop and hope it's convinced I've installed new hardware.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Just one final thing. Any issues developing using the iPhone SDK on a hackintosh ?

Nevermind. I fixed it with NVInstaller. But now, i still dont have any sleep mode. All that happens is it goes into sleep then when i get it out it shows the desktop then the top half of the screen gets a gray hue and then freezes.

Also Leopard won't start unless the iDeneb Install CD is in the drive. I get:

Boot: error

This was after I system restored using Time Machine...It used to work fine, then I manually shut it down when it was frozen from sleep mode.

Any ideas?

you need to install bootloader I had a problem too so I booted into other pc which is running mac I attached hdd from usb and with osx86 tools

I installed efi on hdd . put it back and bingo it boots without dvd............

My broadcom 440x is having weird issues. I have OSX Kalyway 10.5.2 with the 10.5.3 update running on my Dell 9400 and it boots fine and everything is great. As soon as I do something like run Steam or download a large file at a fast rate it starts to get choppy and in about 1-2 minutes the connection will drop and I have to reboot before it works.

I've installed the 440x drivers from the Dell Post installer 1.31 but it had the same issues out of the box as well. Has anyone else had these issues and if so what's the fix? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

-Shawn

Did you ever figure it out? I'm having the same problem. :)

Also, could someone help me with a separate issue? When I use the patcher posted by sonos (?) to install a new kernel (I updated to 10.5.5), I can't boot. It comes up with some error (It wasn't made clear in the log what the error was) and I ended up reformatting 5 times after trying over and over again with different settings. What's the solution to this?

Also, could someone tell me where the kernel is stored (Linux's bzImage equiv.. the compiled kernel) so I can back it up before making changes?

Did you ever figure it out? I'm having the same problem. :(

Also, could someone help me with a separate issue? When I use the patcher posted by sonos (?) to install a new kernel (I updated to 10.5.5), I can't boot. It comes up with some error (It wasn't made clear in the log what the error was) and I ended up reformatting 5 times after trying over and over again with different settings. What's the solution to this?

Also, could someone tell me where the kernel is stored (Linux's bzImage equiv.. the compiled kernel) so I can back it up before making changes?

Well, Kernels in Sonotone's Dell's Post installer are for Core Duo Processors which dive graphic shuttering and before could utilize only one core. (Most Core 2 Duo don't have such a problem) If you don't have that problem you don't need it. )) To backup your kernel you can use OSX86Tools. ))

And Broadcom does glitch once in a wile in hackintosh. For some people it does more often for some rarely (I had it glitch only once or twice) )) I don't think there is a solution.

Well, Kernels in Sonotone's Dell's Post installer are for Core Duo Processors which dive graphic shuttering and before could utilize only one core. (Most Core 2 Duo don't have such a problem) If you don't have that problem you don't need it. )) To backup your kernel you can use OSX86Tools. ))

And Broadcom does glitch once in a wile in hackintosh. For some people it does more often for some rarely (I had it glitch only once or twice) )) I don't think there is a solution.

I have the stutter problem on a Core 2 Duo.

Still, if I can't boot and I backup my kernel.. I can't restore it, so that is worthless to me.

The ethernet is unusable for me and I haven't found out how to work the ABGN Intel WiFi. The ethernet is so slow in loading pages.. and it will drop out after ~10 minutes every single time. It's enough to make me quit using OSX. There must be some solution. I'm okay with periodical glitches, but this is unusable to me. I've rebooted 5 times already just trying to download the iPhone SDK. I anticipate rebooting ~8-10 more times before it finishes downloading. :(

Edit: I'm still using cpus=1 whenever I boot.

Thanks for answering Jurek. That's what I was after. I'm looking around for a GeForce 7300 Go, but they're rarer than hen's teeth it seems. Ebay has some tantalising case badges I can stick on the laptop and hope it's convinced I've installed new hardware.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Just one final thing. Any issues developing using the iPhone SDK on a hackintosh ?

I have a Geforce Go 7300 sat on a shelf doing nothing which I am happy to sell. I'm in the UK, btw.

I figure I'll post this in here because I'm not sure how many people read my post in the Marketplace about it, and I've sent messages to like five people already about it.

The trick to finding the GeForce Go 7300 on eBay is searching by the Dell part number "NJ887", otherwise you'll just come up with some case badges. Searching NJ887 will find you a bunch of cards, around the 40-50 dollar range.

it's not about hacking here, it is just bad report from dell.

also I've instalated 2x2G 667Mhz, corsair memory module and it's working, but with limitation.

If u go in bios u will see memory installed 4097MB and available 3327MB :( ....I think is dell restriction, why I said this, because my mother board chipset is Intel i945PM and on Intel website it seems this chpset supports max 4GB memory...

so if u have 945 chipset from intel also will work on your "toy" :D

later edit. . .

but the os seems to see all memory installed, but it works with just 3,325GB(available)

good lock!!

post-129410-1228396697_thumb.jpgpost-129410-1228397200_thumb.png

how the hack did you install 4Gb of memory? I thought the E1505s only take 2Gb according to Dell specs.