[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

I apologize if this was answered in this thread already, but has anyone been able to get sleep mode to work correctly yet on a Dell Inspiron 6400 running 10.5.5.

Right now the problem that I'm having (and seems to be common) is that sleep mode works, (the display dims) but I can't get the screen to turn back on again.

I apologize if this was answered in this thread already, but has anyone been able to get sleep mode to work correctly yet on a Dell Inspiron 6400 running 10.5.5.

Right now the problem that I'm having (and seems to be common) is that sleep mode works, (the display dims) but I can't get the screen to turn back on again.

Mark, unfortunately for gma 950 graphic card users there is no solution yet (I read that netkas is developing a new sleep kernel that allows deep sleep). If you however have an nvidia you should be able to get sleep to work. On my gma 950 I can only get lid close sleep. but that is not the real sleep. It only dims the screen (you can tell by the power led, which is on constant). When I send my laptop to real sleep it never wakes up (the power led blinks as it should when going into real sleep). This is common. There are several posts with Inspiron 6400s and nvidia (NYC Coyote has that config and knows all about it).

Mark, unfortunately for gma 950 graphic card users there is no solution yet (I read that netkas is developing a new sleep kernel that allows deep sleep). If you however have an nvidia you should be able to get sleep to work. On my gma 950 I can only get lid close sleep. but that is not the real sleep. It only dims the screen (you can tell by the power led, which is on constant). When I send my laptop to real sleep it never wakes up (the power led blinks as it should when going into real sleep). This is common. There are several posts with Inspiron 6400s and nvidia (NYC Coyote has that config and knows all about it).

Thanks for your reply, I do have the Nvidia 7300 chipset, so i'll do some more searching and see what I come up with. So far everything works great, other then the memory card slot (which from what i read doesn't work at all) not a big deal as I don't need it. I'm actually amazed on how well everything does work on here.

Thanks for your reply, I do have the Nvidia 7300 chipset, so i'll do some more searching and see what I come up with. So far everything works great, other then the memory card slot (which from what i read doesn't work at all) not a big deal as I don't need it. I'm actually amazed on how well everything does work on here.

Well, I have 7300 GS and I already looked for the problem. As you know the problem is not with the sleep (because if you press Fn + Esc then you go to sleep, and wake up with your screen back. The problem is with display sleep. Nobody could help with the issue. I guess most people just deactivated sleep in Preferences and went to sleep manually.

The problem I guess is not really with videocard itself cuz I can get display sleep on my external monitor. My guess would be that the problem is with our laptop display communicating with system.

There were some notices that display sleep worked with kext by np_ called Laptop Display (the early version of which is attached to first post) which is logical since that kext was designed to utilize laptop display better. but np_ halted that project for now and removed all attached files from that forum. :)

P.S there is a work around i read somewhere that plays with changing resolution back and forth to get the display back ))

P.S there is a work around i read somewhere that plays with changing resolution back and forth to get the display back ))

hmm, that reminds me of Expose Active Screen Corner and "sleep display" fix for some of the gma950 problems people went through. the display would boot into system with display asleep. one way to wake it up was to move the mouse into the activated "sleep display" corner you enabled in Expose and it would wake up. Have you tried that?

hmm, that reminds me of Expose Active Screen Corner and "sleep display" fix for some of the gma950 problems people went through. the display would boot into system with display asleep. one way to wake it up was to move the mouse into the activated "sleep display" corner you enabled in Expose and it would wake up. Have you tried that?

nope expose doesn't help, changing resolutions though, does. Here is the link to fix for those who are interested

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry759663, the problem is that it has some screen flickering (which I hate). So I prefer not to use it.

I'm sure there should be simple and nice solution to this problem (guys like superhai or np_ could fix it, but I have no idea even were to start, though I have time to experiment).

Can someone list me pros and cons of using 132 method compared to regular Kalyway/iAtkos please?

Hi there Everyone,

I was wondering why my internet intermittently cuts out every once in awhile? Sometimes it only lasts 10 minute and sometimes it last for a couple hours, but it always dies eventually. I have the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Ethernet and I used the AppleBCM440XEthernet fix in the iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 install DVD. I got everything else to work, and even though this does work, I would like to get it to work a little better if you know what I mean. Thanks for any help possible.

Hi there Everyone,

I was wondering why my internet intermittently cuts out every once in awhile? Sometimes it only lasts 10 minute and sometimes it last for a couple hours, but it always dies eventually. I have the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Ethernet and I used the AppleBCM440XEthernet fix in the iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 install DVD. I got everything else to work, and even though this does work, I would like to get it to work a little better if you know what I mean. Thanks for any help possible.

known problem with E1505/6400 and Broadcom 440x. I have not seen a fix yet (NYC Coyote may have one?). If you go back a couple pages you see that some have the same problem you have. I live on wireless and didn't even notice it until NYC Coyote asked about it. My broadcom hardware isn't even recognized anymore with the newer builds.

current setup on Kalyway 10.5.2, vanillakernel

Inspiron 6400

C2D T7200 @ 2.0ghz, 2gb DDRII, intel 3945a/b/g, Nvidia 7300go, Sound 9200-C

Working:

Both cores (sleep fix for stuttering)

Regular sleep (fn+esc), & Lid Sleep

Sound Headphones and speakers individually, haven't had any luck with mic

Graphics acceleration

Ethernet via Broadcom 440x, (haven't tested for more then a few mins so don't know how long it remains connected)

Wifi via Dlink USB using RT Link 2500 chipset

dvd/cd rom

SPEED STEP (1000, 1333, 1667, 2000) MHz

Battery Monitor with time calculation

Not working:

mic (need more testing)

card reader (don't care, and i know it won't)

intel 3945 (development stage, i'd like to see it work but i'm alright)

display turn off and resume

been following this thread for a year now, i'm very very happy with the stuff that works for me and i haven't booted into windows for a while now as this is my primary OS

I want to buy a mini-pci wifi card thats supported and won't give me any issues, whats the best choice in terms of price (tight budget, about 25$ with shipping to canada), if someone could pm me an ebay or store link that would be wonderful and thank you

secondly, is it worth updating the OS to 10.5.4 or 10.5.5, keeping in mind that i've got a perfect working system that i'm very happy with. Are there any major advantages of upgrading? or should i stick with the saying "let the sleeping dog sleep"

thanks fellas

known problem with E1505/6400 and Broadcom 440x.

hm, I never had that problem with iAktos v4i build, where I had it working at install. Maybe it varies from computer to computer.

Inspiron 6400

secondly, is it worth updating the OS to 10.5.4 or 10.5.5, keeping in mind that i've got a perfect working system that i'm very happy with. Are there any major advantages of upgrading? or should i stick with the saying "let the sleeping dog sleep"

thanks fellas

you got the same system that i have (except graphic). for me upgrade from 10.5.2 was essential to get the gma950 graphic glitch taken care of. if everything is working for you there is really no need to upgrade to 10.5.4 or 5 I think. But if you decide to upgrade make an image of your osx partition. I always make an Acronis true image backup for my osx partition and try the newest. if I mess up I can just put the previous back on.

Are you sure? Cause Hiberbate is not suppose to work on hackintosh (will be avaible with PC_EFI V9), the system should restart from scratch.

probably just the wrong term and trying to say sleep instead of just display sleep. We know that sleep works on the nvidia cards.

Edit: okay after actually checking the state via the deep sleep button i've realized its just ordinary sleep, though the system tries to go into deep sleep but it fails and then just puts the computer into regular sleep (wake up time is instant)

hmm is there any way to actually check what mode the pc goes into by clicking on the widget. is there any specific thing that i should look for which indicates that i'm in deep sleep rather than sleep.

i know for windows the whole resuming windows and longer wakeup time clearly indicates hibernate

what would the equivalent be on mac?

yeah i'm planning to sticking with the setup now, only gonna get a wireless card, i was recommended a dell draft 1500, that should be fine right?

While we're on the topic i would like to ask, is it possible to get the media buttons at the front of the laptop to work? volume and mute works fine, but is it possible to get play/pause, next, previous and stop buttons to work with applications such as itunes, vlc, quicktime etc? Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks again

Edit: okay after actually checking the state via the deep sleep button i've realized its just ordinary sleep, though the system tries to go into deep sleep but it fails and then just puts the computer into regular sleep (wake up time is instant)

hmm is there any way to actually check what mode the pc goes into by clicking on the widget. is there any specific thing that i should look for which indicates that i'm in deep sleep rather than sleep.

i know for windows the whole resuming windows and longer wakeup time clearly indicates hibernate

what would the equivalent be on mac?

here is a good read on sleep and commands to check what you got.

http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html

I know from a friend's real macbook that sleep will wake up almost instantly and that hibernate will take much longer.

Hi guys :blush:

Im running an inspiron 6400, installed a go7300gs and my atix1400 is now sitting in the wardrobe. Now with the dual core patch my laptop is almost working at its full potential for me to work on it like its a mac. I still have heat problems which were there since the start, but i'm going to buy some arctic silver 5 to help with that. Currently I only have two small problems with my setup. My broadcom ethernet sometimes dies, even though after trying a lot of kexts it seems to not die as often now, just have to reset my laptop to get it working again. I've been trying to get my sigmatel 9200 working correctly now when I plug my headphones in, so that it will mute the internal speakers. The only way I have been able to get my sound working is by using the AppleHDA Patcher by using the attached hdapatcher and codec dump. It does not show up in System Profile under built in sound which is weird, because it still works? :) . I have tried using both carey and jason's kexts to get my sound working correctly but my soundcard is not detected at all. I have a feeling it could be something very simple like a different vendor id on my card? I can't see where to change it in the Info.plist however. Any help with me getting my inbuilt speakers to mute when I plug-in my headphones and have the card show in the System Profile would be highly appreciated.

Peace Out.

:wink2:

Stac9200.txt

AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip

Hi guys ;)

Im running an inspiron 6400, installed a go7300gs and my atix1400 is now sitting in the wardrobe. Now with the dual core patch my laptop is almost working at its full potential for me to work on it like its a mac. I still have heat problems which were there since the start, but i'm going to buy some arctic silver 5 to help with that. Currently I only have two small problems with my setup. My broadcom ethernet sometimes dies, even though after trying a lot of kexts it seems to not die as often now, just have to reset my laptop to get it working again. I've been trying to get my sigmatel 9200 working correctly now when I plug my headphones in, so that it will mute the internal speakers. The only way I have been able to get my sound working is by using the AppleHDA Patcher by using the attached hdapatcher and codec dump. It does not show up in System Profile under built in sound which is weird, because it still works? :D . I have tried using both carey and jason's kexts to get my sound working correctly but my soundcard is not detected at all. I have a feeling it could be something very simple like a different vendor id on my card? I can't see where to change it in the Info.plist however. Any help with me getting my inbuilt speakers to mute when I plug-in my headphones and have the card show in the System Profile would be highly appreciated.

Peace Out.

:angel:

for the speakers to mute use sonotone's dell patcher: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

He updated it with the lastest fixed hda kexts that mute the speakers. works like a charm here (note, I had to install the kext twice to get it to work for some reason).

for your broadcom en a number of people are experiencing similar problems. I can't get it to work correctly either. I am not sure if there is a fix already.

for the speakers to mute use sonotone's dell patcher: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

He updated it with the lastest fixed hda kexts that mute the speakers. works like a charm here (note, I had to install the kext twice to get it to work for some reason).

for your broadcom en a number of people are experiencing similar problems. I can't get it to work correctly either. I am not sure if there is a fix already.

I tried the latest patch (35b) the only difference i noticed is that my sound card is actually now showing up in system profiler which is great! :) Unfortunately my problem still persists, the laptop speakers do not mute when I plug in my headphones. I've attached a screenshot of my sound card in the system profiler.

I was also wondering what the hotkey is to switch to an external display? I had it working before with my atix1400 but haven't been able to get my nvidia gs7300 working yet.

Gracias,

Benos.

post-222581-1225098739_thumb.png

Inspiron 6400

Working:

Both cores (sleep fix for stuttering)

Regular sleep (fn+esc), & Lid Sleep

Sound Headphones and speakers individually, haven't had any luck with mic

Graphics acceleration

Ethernet via Broadcom 440x, (haven't tested for more then a few mins so don't know how long it remains connected)

Wifi via Dlink USB using RT Link 2500 chipset

dvd/cd rom

SPEED STEP (1000, 1333, 1667, 2000) MHz

Battery Monitor with time calculation

Not working:

mic (need more testing)

card reader (don't care, and i know it won't)

intel 3945 (development stage, i'd like to see it work but i'm alright)

display turn off and resume

been following this thread for a year now, i'm very very happy with the stuff that works for me and i haven't booted into windows for a while now as this is my primary OS

I want to buy a mini-pci wifi card thats supported and won't give me any issues, whats the best choice in terms of price (tight budget, about 25$ with shipping to canada), if someone could pm me an ebay or store link that would be wonderful and thank you

thanks fellas

If you have a perfectly working system...I would not recommend you update to 10.5.5...It'll just mess up things...As far as I know..10.5.5 doesn't have major advantage...but it does fix up some problems...I am still on 10.5.2 because its working perfectly fine..Hope this helps

I tried the latest patch (35b) the only difference i noticed is that my sound card is actually now showing up in system profiler which is great! :angry: Unfortunately my problem still persists, the laptop speakers do not mute when I plug in my headphones. I've attached a screenshot of my sound card in the system profiler.

I was also wondering what the hotkey is to switch to an external display? I had it working before with my atix1400 but haven't been able to get my nvidia gs7300 working yet.

Gracias,

Benos.

hmm, here is mine:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID:	0x102801BD
 Audio ID:	12
 Available Devices:
 S/P-DIF Out:
 Connection:	RCA
 Headphone:
 Connection:	1/8 inch Jack
 Speaker:
 Connection:	Internal
 Microphone:
 Connection:	1/8 inch Jack

the difference is that in my case headphones are listed, everything else is the same. are you sure you got the correct hda kext intalled in the end? maybe try to install it with kexthelper yourself instead of the dell patcher. delete or rename the original hda kext, then install new one, fix permissions. btw. which OSX version do you have installed? As for the external display I can't help you with my gma950. Mine works perfectly fine with external displays.

Hi all

I hope some1 could help with some error I mostly get with the system profiler...........

There was an error while gathering this information

I have changed several SMBIOS but this does not seem to go away......

My system is a dell 6400 with gma 950......

other spec's are pretty much similar.......to other dell 6400 and I am running 10.5.4.....

ha, now that makes sense, haven't paid attention to that. hope he will be successful now. thanks

Bad news guys :D The old installer seems to have worked way better... now when I use the latest installed I get no sound at all... here is a system profiler screenshot.

I also received a BCM94311MCG wlan mini-pci (rev01) from ebay also known as the dell 1390, unfortunately can't get it to work either, I have a feeling it is the IONetworking.kext im using, I've got to try the vanilla 10.5.4 version, im not sure if the dell installer kept by original in backup because I have used the installer so many times?

-Benos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

I got my sound working properly with headphones! It could have been the pci kext i installed while trying to get this wireless card to work. The last sound kext i installed was from v1.12. If I work out what was going wrong I'll post details. For now I'm gonna get back to working on getting this Wireless card working. This topic seems to be very helpful to me - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=128393&hl=

Thanks again for all the help dudes :(

-Benos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

I was able to get my system fully supported now except for the MMC which I dont really care about, but unfortunately I still cannot get my external monitor working with this 7300gs i got from ebay, its vga port could be stuffed, because it says my cable is not connected in system profiler.

I was able to get my Sigmatel9200 working by using the argus applehda patcher and then using the dell installer. Turns out some of my kexts like IONetworkingFamily and IOPCIFamily were old versions and I had to re-install iatkosv4i over the top to fix it. I recommend people use that kextload command shown in this topic - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=128393&hl= - to check their kexts if they cannot get something to work.

good luck maccing!

-Benos.

EDIT:

Special thanks to Jurek, he led me in the right direction to get my external display working, now I have a lovely setup :(. My broadcom ethernet is still dodgy but I can live with a reliable wireless for now.

If anyone with an Inspiron 6400 is looking to get their Nvidia 7300Go working on 10.5.4 with dual display, I can guarantee that it works perfect :D Just look at this topic - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;&do=findComment&comment=778676

Thanks again Jurek,

Good luck dellintoshing,

Peace out

-Benos.

post-222581-1225354531_thumb.png