[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I installed Mac OS X 10.4.6 with the JaS installation DVD on my recentry bought Inspiron 9400.

The specs of my computer are the following:

Dell Inspiron 9400

Intel CoreDuo Processor T2500 (2.0 GHz)

2 Gig PC2-5300 DDR2-667 SDRAM

nVIDIA GeForce 7800 Go 256 MB

80 GB Hard Drive (5400RPM)

17" Wide Screen WUXGA (1920 x 1200)

I disabled the second core during the installation and it went smootly with the instructions found on this web site. I then installed Acronis OS Selector to get the dual boot screen to choose between OSX and windows. But when I try to boot it up it stops loading completely at "Starting Mac OS X". Is there something I have to do to get it loaded up properly?

Thank you

Hi,

I installed Mac OS X 10.4.6 with the JaS installation DVD on my recentry bought Inspiron 9400.

The specs of my computer are the following:

Dell Inspiron 9400

Intel CoreDuo Processor T2500 (2.0 GHz)

2 Gig PC2-5300 DDR2-667 SDRAM

nVIDIA GeForce 7800 Go 256 MB

80 GB Hard Drive (5400RPM)

17" Wide Screen WUXGA (1920 x 1200)

I disabled the second core during the installation and it went smootly with the instructions found on this web site. I then installed Acronis OS Selector to get the dual boot screen to choose between OSX and windows. But when I try to boot it up it stops loading completely at "Starting Mac OS X". Is there something I have to do to get it loaded up properly?

Thank you

I alredy install on P4+HT and duo core T2300 and run great, all i did was install Myzar dvd and no more, cheers.

I finally got it to boot and loving it! Got the high resolutions working (looks great at 1920x1200) and everything running smootly even with the 2 cores enabled (?) dont know what i did for it to work but oh well. now only waiting for the audio and other little things to work. Great tutorial devilhood! I've just have to read more carefully next time :star_smile:

I finally got it to boot and loving it! Got the high resolutions working (looks great at 1920x1200) and everything running smootly even with the 2 cores enabled (?) dont know what i did for it to work but oh well. now only waiting for the audio and other little things to work. Great tutorial devilhood! I've just have to read more carefully next time tongue.gif

What you did for fixing Acronis OS selector?

Just finished my install and with macvidia drivers all is working well.

Couple of questions -

Anyone know of anything that can monitor GPU temps for our cards? I am running a 7900 go GS.

So just so I am clear dual cores is not supported without stuttering on the DUO's I didn't get it to work

with the JAS install without going to cpus=1.

Lastly anyone found that sleep works or doesn't work on our laptops?

Thanks for the guide!

Rage

Ohh I did want to note one thing for the guide, I could have overlooked it but in the MACVidia install I had one issue. Following the directions my first install worked fine. But I did end up with an issue on the laptop screen that showed what best could be described as color bands and artifacts on the top of the screen and during window drag and drops. I broke the system trying to correct it :). But on the plus side upon reinstall I followed the directions here:

http://macvidia.starchaser.org/boards/showthread.php?t=321

The main difference being the

mv -f /System/Library/Extensions/IONDRVSupport.kext

and below.

After that I got a section on my screen upon install where it was showing proper detection of my LCD where I could swear I was not seeing before. And all of my banding issues are now gone along with no drag or drop artifacts. Dunno if that helps anyone but its something I found during my install exercises.

Thanks again for the guide.

Rage

Hmm, I'll give that a shot, so basically installing with single core support installs some different kernel or something? and when you re-enable afterwards you don't see the graphics studdering?

Thanks again

Rage

Also anyone seeing any heat issues under OSX?

Hey guys i just joined this forum and found a lot of useful information on how to get the OS installed. Im working on a e1705 w/ go 7800 and the install went through smoothly. After installing acronis i got the boot menu and as soon as i boot mine still freezes at Starting Max os X. I havent found a staright forward answer for this issue. I do have core duo and ive tried disabling dual core in the bios, but im still having the same issue. The version of the OS im trying to install is 10.4.6. I figured the latest would be my best shot. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your time. Peace

Update: finally got into verbose mode and turns out it has to do with my audio device. The error is as follows

AppleHDA.kext failed to load: unable to locate 'layout_id' properly".

I was gonna try and disable the audio device in the bios, but there is no option to do so :)

UPDATE: I now tried booting with -x -v and it failed at what seems to be myu video. The error is as follows

a link/load error occured for kernel extension /system/library/extensions/nvdanv40hal.kext

VID: family specific matching fails

Well, im gonna try to install it on the company IBM R40 :) to see if it works. But i will continue to try and get my E1705 to boot successfully. If anyone has any suggestions please post them. Thanks again and ill kepp ya'll posted.

UPDATE: I successfully installed os x 10.4.6 (jas) on the R40, but when starting up in verbose mode it fails with this error now.

Couldnt alloc class "Intel82557"

UPDATE: SUCCESS! I finally got it to work on my R40 by doing the following.

Booted off the dvd, opened up the terminal, and typed cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/disk0s2 (copies mach_kernel off of the dvd to my osx partition). Please keep in mind that disk0s2 is the name of my partition and your could be different. if youre not sure just go into the disk utilities and right click on you mac os partition and click information and itll tell you the name of your partition. FYI - the /mach_kernel is the file off the dvd drive as the dvd drive mount point is a / and the mount point for my hard drive is /Volumes/disk0s2. Just trying to make it clear. Im gonna try this on my E1705 next. Peace.

Hay there!

Just wanted to say thanks for this great little tutorial! Got me up and working in no time.

One quick warning, beware Acronis OS Selector! After installing it on my laptop the Dell MediaDirect function no longer works. Also, it barfed once after some updates from MS and nothing would boot. Had to load up windows recovery console and fixboot/fixmbr then reinstall the OS selector. So, be sure to burn the acronis recovery CD!! After some web searches I found that OS Selector likes to barf frequently and vomit in your MBR/boot sectors is a bad thing.

Thanks again,

Seth

P.S. For those that are holding out for a sigmatel 9200 driver check here. james2mart is working on one this summer. He's porting the FreeBSD driver so hopefully we'll have one soon.

Dell Inspiron E1705 (9400) with XP MCE & OSx86 10.4.7

1GB ram - 94GB HD - Nvidia 7800 Go

Sigmatel 9200 + Creative Audigy MB

i know there isn't any x1400 support yet, but is there a way to just get widescreen resolutions to work? when i attempt to change the resolution to 1680x1050, it defaults to the next lowest standard resolution, which is pretty irritating. any way around this?

i have the E1505 and upon installation of the 10.4.6 (Jas) dvd, i got a b0 error, so i used a windows M.E. boot disk to set the partition active with fdisk and i got the b0 error again

i used the same M.E. boot disk to set my 320GB sata2 seagate to the active partition and it worked just fine.

i would like to get osx on my dell duo core lappy....any help would be appreciated

i have the E1505 and upon installation of the 10.4.6 (Jas) dvd, i got a b0 error, so i used a windows M.E. boot disk to set the partition active with fdisk and i got the b0 error again

i used the same M.E. boot disk to set my 320GB sata2 seagate to the active partition and it worked just fine.

i would like to get osx on my dell duo core lappy....any help would be appreciated

If you had used the search function on this forum, you would find many posts regarding this matter.

To get rid of the b0 error you need to PPF patch the JaS ISO file with JaS.10.4.6.Install.DVD.PPF1.PPF.rar :)

Hmm, I'll give that a shot, so basically installing with single core support installs some different kernel or something? and when you re-enable afterwards you don't see the graphics studdering?

Thanks again

Rage

Also anyone seeing any heat issues under OSX?

This is incorrect.

There is currently no way of using both cores on the Inspiron 9400 without experiencing graphical stuttering.

If only Maxxuss came back to release a more up-to date kernel for us E1705 users, then we wouldn't have a problem.

I stumbled across this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222 while I was on wikipedia and so far it looks like its working. I installed the update and modified the Ricoh chipset SidSpeed registry key to "3" value. Anyone who's having problem with firewire please test this, with my M-audio FW1814 it's worked so far. but I haven't fully tested it.

I have changed the SidSpeed registry key to "3" recently as well, but I haven't been doing any Music Production work as of late..

I'll try to test it thoroughly next week and let you know what happens, unless you have anything else to report.

yeah, Maxxuss definitely needs to make a triumphant return

fyi, the dual core fix for the boot.plist works fine with 10.4.3. you guys probably knew that, but i didn't see mention of it here, so there it is

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not surprised :compress: well, I have since formatted my Mac partition and made room for more storage.

Dell have put out a new BIOS revision A02 for the 9400, perhaps this cleans up performance with dual-core enabled? I know for a fact that the A01 BIOS fixed a bad crash that used to occur on one of the ISO's I tried a while back, so you never know.

When I get some cash together I'll just buy a Mac Mini :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I installed the jas update 10.4.8 on my laptop E1705 (duo core T2400, 7800go) , and I get black screen at the logon with the macvidia driver beta2 release 1. (with 10.4.7 no problem with this driver)

Fortunatly, the pc can boot in safe mode, I changed the driver with the new one macvidia 1.O.8(by using the pkg installer :police: ), and now everything work fine.

I tryed to enable dual core, but he graphical stuttering/glitches were there :whistle:

The sound and wifi card are also not supported by 10.4.8 :(

i know there isn't any x1400 support yet, but is there a way to just get widescreen resolutions to work? when i attempt to change the resolution to 1680x1050, it defaults to the next lowest standard resolution, which is pretty irritating. any way around this?

try 1600x1200