Working Wireless (USB and Ralink)

268 posts in this topic

USB D-Link DWL G122 works fine for me! Thanks everybody in this forum.

I installed the last driver from Ralink (see url in previous post), open the Ralink utility from Applications, configured with parameters of my wireless network [Open WEP], then configured DHCP on interface found in Network config settings and ... IT WORKS!!!

Next goals:

1) find a solution to my cable connection with RLT8139

(see: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=30399)

2) find a solution to work with built-in wireless Intel 2200BG ...

Any suggestion will be appreciated

Invisible Ink, u r using DWL-G122 firmware B or firmware C?

cos i am considering between 3 cards as i read through all the 13 pages of this thread.

So far, only 3 cards work: ASUS WL-167G, Beklin F5D7050, DWL-G122 B and C.

Which is the best usb wireless to get (ie least hassle)?

ok dudes, i couldnt stand having no network anymore, and so i went to buy the ASUS WL-167G.....

I would like to report that it WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!!!! wooo hooo!!!! i'm using it to post on this forum.... the usb adapter is based off a ralink RT2500 chipset....

to be able to use this usb wireless adapter, you muz first install the latest ralink drivers... you can find them somewhere in this topic..... after you start mac os x, all you have to do is just plug it in and the software will start itself up....

btw, i'm running a 10.4.3...... still getting a 10.4.7.... still getting a 10.4.8..... anyone care to boost more speed to me????? :dev:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, i got a belkin 7050 v3 usb network adapter and it works with no problems in osx.

ooo maybe one... i must plug it in and out everytime i reboot. There was a 2500replug kext and i downloaded and installed that. it WORKED...... once... one time and then it didn't enable my usb adapter and didn't open my utility, there must be a way ..... anyone having any progress in it ? let me know

Same problem for me with DWG122 D-Link USB Wireless adapter. Each time, after reboot, I have to open the Ralink Utility if I want to connect via wireless ...

Hi all, i got a belkin 7050 v3 usb network adapter and it works with no problems in osx.

ooo maybe one... i must plug it in and out everytime i reboot. There was a 2500replug kext and i downloaded and installed that. it WORKED...... once... one time and then it didn't enable my usb adapter and didn't open my utility, there must be a way ..... anyone having any progress in it ? let me know

Hi guys,

I have a problem with d-link dwl-g122 firmware v. 3.00

I'm using ralink drivers, the wirless usb is decteted, I can connect to my router. So everything seems ok until I start safari and try to surf...it seems that i'm offline but I'm connected to my router!

What can I do??

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Problem with Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54-AI. Downloaded latest Ralink drivers and installed went fine. Noticed that the Buffalo entry was already present in info.plist so didnt mod. rebooted and nothing....manually started ralink utility and list "No Devices". NOT GOOD. Checked system profile and I can see the buffalo on the usb port. Any ideas?

anybody have success with buffalo?

Any help you be appreciated!!

Thanks,

J

well got the buffalo working and am having the same exact problem as puduska. Can connect to router but cant cruise the net. Can anybody help us?

In another post you said that your IP was 169.x.x.x

Generally that IP is a default one taken by the device when it can't find anything to assign it an IP. So, I'm not so sure it is communicating with your router. The router would normally assign an IP of 192.x.x.x

Nessus said:

3) Install the driver in Tiger before you plug in the device.

4) After reboot, plug in the wireless adapter and go to the network settings.

And this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...post&p=7084

You also said the Buffalo "entry" was in the info.plist. Did you see the word "Buffalo" in the info.plist, or did you find your device id in the info.plist. Make sure your device id is in the plist.

Also try this: Go to System Preferences -> Network -> Show -> Network Port Configurations -> New... -> Port -> Airport

• 1 month later...
Allo,

well got the buffalo working and am having the same exact problem as puduska. Can connect to router but cant cruise the net. Can anybody help us?

Thanks!

OK, this is going to sound odd to all, but here it goes anyway. I have the buffalo card in question and it always worked out of the box. I then decided to start OC'ing my PC. When I went into the BIOS I noticed that the default memory timings were DDR2 667 while my memory was DDR2 800; the default timings were 4-4-5-14 @ 1.84v, while my actual RAM is rated for 4-4-3-8 @ 2.2v.

Naturally, the first thing I wanted to do was set my RAM for proper speed to see if there was any performance boost, so I made the settings and rebooted. A bit more pep on the reboot, but I noticed that it took longer to acquire the AP, and when I clicked on info there was a bit more latency than usual. I then tried to go out on the net, and na da. I looked at my properties and I had a self-assigned IP. So, I was seeing the AP, connecting to the AP, but I wasn't getting an IP address and manually setting it didn't fix things.

I then went back in to the bios to change my Ram timings to 533 Mhz, and begin overclocking, and all was fine -- the wireless card worked flawlessly all the way up to 800 Mhz FSB.

Net-net, I folled around with various settings (on and off) for two days, and came to the conclusion that I was getting the same exact error (see and connect to AP, but no IP address -- self-assigned 169.x.x.x) when I was using 800 Mhz FSB Ram setting and my native Ram timings.

This might just be a conincidence, but thought I'd post here anyway. I don't have this issue anymore because I dropped the Ram settings to 533 Mhz, but then took the FSB up to nearly 400 Mhz, effectively increasing the Ram timings by 50% to nearly 800 Mhz.

/mdg.

PS. The moral of the story -- try going into your MoBo settings and change the Ram timings to 667 Mhz or 533 Mhz, and see what happens.

For those of you who have the Belkin fd57050 version 3000 and have to unplug and plug the the thing to get it to be recognized I have a solution. It seems that os x 10.4.5 finds a generic driver for the usb wireless stick and caches it on shut down or restart.So when you boot or restart herwrong driver is loaded even though your belkin driver is there. I changed my com.apple.Boot.plist file found in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

I added the switch -f in between <string></string> line in between <key>Kernel Flags</key> and <key>Boot Graphics</key>. The -f clears the driver cache file before startup and the belkin driver is then loaded! No more unplugging and plugging! So now it looks like this.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Dear Mr. Macnub,

Could you please email this driver to me (RT71W Drivers dated 2006/04/07)? I got a G122 C1 also, thanks in advance!

Henry

Hi Guys,

I picked up a DWL-G122 V.C1 and used the ralink RT71W Drivers dated 2006/04/07 Drv1.1.2.0 10.3.X ~ 10.4.X and it worked right away.

The Wireless app works, Encryption and authentication work.

I am right chuffed :) it was the only thing holding me back

I've got an inspiron 6000.

MacNub

I can confirm that the Belkin F5D7050 v3 works on 10.4.7 w/ the Ralink "RTUSB D70-1.1.3.0 D71W-1.1.7.0 UI-1.3.0.0_2006_11_10.dmg" driver.

I'm typing this on my Asus lappy from Safari connected to a Netgear WGR614 v5 router, with wpa encryption, hidden SSID & macaddress security enabled.

Its not 100% stable, i.e. doesn't come up w/o replugging the dongle once, doesn't seem to play well w/ a wired connection plugged in, etc.

But take heart, it will definitely work w/ a bit of patience.

I modified _nothing_. Installed the package, rebooted, plugged in the dongle, futzed with the wireless utility a bit & connected.

One note, if using wpa, the right key (not the passphrase) is critical. If you have access to a linux box or live cd w/ wpa_supplicant, there's a utility to generate the key from your passphrase. My router/AP doesn't show the key, I used another util I found online to generate a key, and it didn't work. The problem is that the Ralink utility will not actually _tell_ you that you have the wrong key. It will just act generally stupid, or crash in my case. I used the Linux generated key & it connected straightaway.

HTH & Good Luck.

Ralink released new Mac OSX drivers on 8-28 v.1.0.9.0. The Drivers have been recompiled for x86 including the Wireless Utility(Now a Universal Binary), it all works, WEP/WPA support, get it at:

http://www.ralink.com.tw/supp-1.htm

Dear Mr. docangle,

Could you please email this driver to me (RT71W Drivers dated 2006/04/07)? I got a G122 C1 also, thanks in advance!

email: hanzella0422@yahoo.com

Henry