(Mostly) Video help on iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) and Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro PCIe card

smjork

1 post in this topic

NOTE: I also wrote this post on iDeneb's forum (the english section)

Hi, and many excuses for my noob questions.

I am not new to OSX on PC (already installed Jas, XxX, Leo4ALL in the past) but ...

I wanted to try out the new iLife '09 and iWork '09 so I needed a working 10.5.4 Leo.

I know I could only change the version reported in "About" from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 but I decided to give a try to iDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6) (I currently had Leo4All installed."Had" because I deleted it trying to install a clean iDeneb)

After choosing to install what I thought is right for me, I finished the installation and the reboot gave me the already expected surprise :-) ... my screen was full of small white and black squares/rectangles and lots of blue pixels scattered all over the place between those "nice" squares. In my opinion, definitely a video driver problem...

The only way to boot into OSX is via "-v -x" options. The "-v" option doesn't help me too much on this.

The messages run way too fast on the screen before the screen turn wild.

So I will try to detail on what I chose to install (and why) and expect.ask for some help from you.

What I chose to install:

- iDeneb's Essential System

- Additional Fonts

- X11

- Patches 10.5.6 Ready:

- Audio: - ALC882 (since I have an ASUS P5WD2 Premium board)

- Creative Sound Blaster (I also have as MAIN sound card a Sound Blaster Audigy 2)

( - I need a confirmation if the chosen drivers are good for SB Audigy 2 too

- I need to know if there is any way to tell the system which of the two cards is the main one)

- Kernel: - tried both Voodoo and the 9.2.2 SSE3 (anyway I don't think these are the cause to my problem :-) ...)

- Chipset: - ICHx Fixed

- Silicon Image 3132

- Network: - skge Marvell (the motherboard has two network cards but the Intel one is automatically detected and used as main)

- Video: ATI HD Series

-> ATI Radeon HD 2900 (I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro PCIx with 512 MB)

(I was extremely happy to find "2900" and thought they might work with my card but ...)

- Applications: some of them... it does not matter.

Using these and booting into safe mode, the About->System Information shows the following:

(among others ...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 1

L2 Cache: 512 KB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL CID TPR

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410 (Apple Inc.)

Serial Number: W1234567890

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO:

ATI Radeon HD 2900:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2900

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9400

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-236

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.236

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

-------------------------------------------

So ...

What's wrong with my choice ?

Any link for a downloadable pkg for Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro PCIx ?

Any link for a downloadable pkg for Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ?

Any link to an update pkg (combo or step by step) from Leo4All 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 (in case there is no solution for iDeneb) ?

... any answers to my questions ?