Digital TV on iMac

Elliot000

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I purchased my first Mac a month ago and I am mightly impressed.

I am now looking to get Digital TV on my iMac so that I can have it on in the corner when working.

I have found something called Eye TV but I have no idea if this is what I need and if it is what I need which version do I need as I have no idea of the difference between them?

The link to them on the Apple Store is: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TS588?mco=MjIzMDY2MA

If you look on the right hand side there's 4 different ones available, which of these do I want?

If anyone else has experience with Digital TV on Mac and noes of another piece of kit available I am happy to take a look at these.

Thanks for your help

Elliot

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

i have the eyetv 250 plus, it will do analog and digital tv, most of the time i have it hooked up to my dish network or time warner cable boxes, it works quite well for tv, ive also hooked my xbox360 up via RCA and played games on my mac with it, the only thing with this is make sure to check the box in the preferences under the devices that says game mode, i suggest doing this even if you just use it for tv because if you dont the on screen program guides and such will be extremely slow, i have yet to notice a real picture quality difference between normal and having the obx checked. the recording and editing features of the software are excelent as well. idk if you need that feature at all but its a nice bonus. the only thing i suggest is if you do record frequently, make sure to edit out all comercials and then convert the finished recording to a format of your choice, the recordings are .eyetv format and r HUGE, so when ur finished editing convert them and get rid of the original, otherwise your hdd will fill up incredibly fast. it also allows for the playing and recording of HD content, i havent done much with this as most of the time im at school and do not have HD, it does work however i just havent used it extensively. the main difference between the 250 plus and the other eyetv products, is all the processing and stuff is done on the eyetv itself so it doesnt suck up valuable processing power if your doing other things at the same time, this is a great feature for me because im using a macbook pro with 2.5ghz C2D and 2gigs of ram, often times im recording a show, going some photoshop work, 3d modeling, even watching a movie and on the internet all at the same time, rarely do i run into a time when my computer gets slower, and when it does happen its most likely due to only 2 gigs of ram. i hope that helps, if you have any other questions just let me know.