Help with QE/CI on ATI X1700 Mobility (IBM T60p)

Xin Li

1 post in this topic

Hi,

I made another post in the Post Install section, about my adventures in trying to get QE/CI working on an IBM T60p Laptop (2007 CTO) with an ATI 5250 FireGL card (x1700 chipset). The link to my post is here, so I won't duplicate that post here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153302

But as this is my first attempt at a Hackintosh, I'm very new at everything, so even though I said i followed some of those instructions outline in the post above, I may have screwed things up. So I think I want to make sure I understand a few things properly, hence my post here.

First, what is the purpose of ATIInject.kext? I've seen various versions of this extension posted for different ATI video cards. My question is, how was this created, and if I can't find an exact version that matches my hardware, how do I go about creating one for myself? There's been some tlak about needing to update the ATIInject with the EDID of my monitor. How is that done exactly? I've also read posts saying that sometimes the device ID need to be updated in the ATIInject for it to work properly.

Also, what is the relationship between ATIInject and the default ATIRadeonX1000.kext that ships with 10.5.5? Is this meant to replace that driver. In other words, is OS X going to load ATIInject, instead of the default RadeonX1000 driver.

In terms of getting the EDID, I've been using SwitchXRes, or something like that, and it seems to work. Is that ok? or are there more reliable means of doing it? Is the proper EDID required only to get the resolution switching to work, or is it also required for proper QE and CI?

Thanks for all your help, as I try to learn all of these different tweaks.