Acer Aspire One Mac OS X 10.5.6 perfect install (using iATKOS_5i)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

SticMAC™

SticMAC™

"Nobody likes a SmartASS"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
Your Seatbelt.kext must match your kernel

Hello,

I installed iatkos5i and after installing 10.5.6 my usb thumb driver won't mount anymore, my external hard drive won't work either but usb works for other things or if I reboot if both of them plugged in then it mounts and everything works fine. Any ideas????

ro.sniper

ro.sniper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all, I've installed osx 10.5.6 ideneb 1.4... i'm trying to get this hibernate to work but its not working out for the reason that when I hit sleep it will just instantly go out with a black screen and power out, i have installed the smartsleep1.4 but it does not seem to work... any sugestions?

gbish

gbish

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
THE PERFECT INSTALL thanks..

UPDATE: the built in Wireless card NOW works, through the UPDATE on the LINK found at the top

thanks everyone I LOVE MY NEW NANOBOOK

;)

randomblah

randomblah

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I've "successfully" installed 10.5.6 on my Aspire One using both the Boot-132 retail DVD method and the excellent iPC distro, but I feel it's more of an exercise in what-if hacking than winding up with a good working MacBook Mini. Without a working internal mic, you've got no VOIP. Without 800 pixels, many Mac programs -- and even Hac programs like OSX86 Tools -- have key buttons below the screen cutoff. And no sleep/hibernate so the Acer works just like a real Mac, i.e. close the lid and it sleeps, and when you wake it you don't lose sound or get a kernel panic? That's a deal breaker for me, I have to admit.

I may get stoned for saying this but I ended up putting the Win7 beta on it with all the activation hacks and now everything works the way it should -- wireless, audio in/out, webcam, sleep/hibernate, everything. The Win7 beta is extremely speedy on these Atom netbooks, though of course you don't get iLife or your other favorite OSX apps. But for browsing and Office, which is pretty much what these Atombooks are limited to, the Win7 beta can deliver a fairly Maclike experience without the current limitations of running OSX on them.

As far as the 800 pixel thing, I have had good luck with changing the display scale of apps. To do this, try the following:
  • 1. look in ~/Library/Preferences/ for the .plist file for the application you are interested in. For example, OSX86Tools is com.pcwiz.osx86tools.plist. You will be using this file name (minus the .plist) in the next step
  • 2. start a terminal window (in Applications->utilities) and type (in this example),
    defaults write com.pcwiz.osx86tools AppleDisplayScaleFactor .8
    The .8 represents the percentage you want the app to display (.8 = 80%, 1 = 100%)
  • 3. Launch the application and see how that size works. You can repeat step 2 as necessary to determine the optimal size.

cgreenberg

cgreenberg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the tip. I've tried this hack, and while it does let you see more of an app's screen, I find it's more of a temporary fix than a screen mode you'd want to leave on all the time. Reading text on these tiny 9 and 10" screens is already a chore, but it becomes a lot more difficult in "fake 800 pixel" mode.

I'm much happier with my Aspire One (original 9" screen version) running Win7 Beta, especially the latest rev. All anyone should really be asking of these Atom netbooks is web browsing, Skype, and word processing, maybe some light image editing, etc. So what if I launch Firefox, Skype, word processing, and Photoshop from Win7's dock instead of Leopard's? I'm typing this on my MacBook, and we've got a house full of real Macs, but while I'd love for the little Acer to run OSX perfectly, the truth is it cannot. You have to hack the {censored} out of it just to get Leopard to boot, and then you have to live with real deal-breakers like the webcam's mic input level is weak and can't be adjusted, and if you can manage to get lid-closed sleep to work with Safe Sleep and setting the pref panel to never sleep, when you wake the Acer again you lose sound out of the built-in speakers.

This sounds like a rant but it isn't. Installed properly, 10.5.6 runs surprisingly well on the Aspire One. It's a cool trick -- world's smallest Mac laptop. But I want an actual working laptop, with fully working audio and hibernation, that lets me use apps without cutting off the bottoms of control panels. OSX on an Aspire One isn't there yet. But throw Win7 Beta on this little guy and it's a much more highly capable nano book.

That said, I appreciate the continued efforts of the guys here who keep chipping away at the stone. I hope they manage to figure out how to solve all the little quirks that keep the AA1 from being a "perfect OSX install" as all these threads claim. I'll be the first to wipe my Acer's drive and put OSX back on it. Let's just try and refrain from saying it's a "perfect install" when you still have so many major issues which haven't been solved yet. "Perfect install" is what you can achieve with a BadAxe2 and the right kexts. It does everything a real Mac can do and everything works. Even the most optimized build on an Aspire One can't claim that. Again, not trying to be a whiner, just trying to be realistic.

As far as the 800 pixel thing, I have had good luck with changing the display scale of apps. To do this, try the following:

• 1. look in ~/Library/Preferences/ for the .plist file for the application you are interested in. For example, OSX86Tools is com.pcwiz.osx86tools.plist. You will be using this file name (minus the .plist) in the next step
  • 2. start a terminal window (in Applications->utilities) and type (in this example),
    defaults write com.pcwiz.osx86tools AppleDisplayScaleFactor .8
    The .8 represents the percentage you want the app to display (.8 = 80%, 1 = 100%)
  • 3. Launch the application and see how that size works. You can repeat step 2 as necessary to determine the optimal size.

zerokoo0l

zerokoo0l

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

THE PERFECT INSTALL thanks..

UPDATE: the built in Wireless card NOW works, through the UPDATE on the LINK found at the top

thanks everyone I LOVE MY NEW NANOBOOK

:(

Which update are you talking about for the built in wifi. can you link it. I have been using the netgear wg111v3 which works great but it is a dongle. would love to use the built in.

itrimble

itrimble

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I followed the instructions to a tee, twice , but I am unable to get sound. Can someone help me out ? Under System Preferences it says
Intel High Definition Audio
Device ID: 0x1025019C
Audio ID: 12
Available Devices :

I am stuck. Are there any other drivers I should try ?

Tewan

Tewan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Fortunately the card reader now detects SD cards inserted while running Mac, not only at boot time.

cadeon

cadeon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Install SmartSleep which I have attached. Install the System Prefs pane (all users), and select "Hibernate Only". Now whenever the computer would normally sleep, it will hibernate (i.e., you can change your Energy Savers prefs back to allowing sleep). I have also attached the ClamshellDisplay.kext which you should install with KextHelper. This will enable hibernation when you close the clamshell.

NOTE: Hibernation, or deep-sleep does the following: it writes an image of your RAM to the hard drive and then shuts down. Whenever you start up, it first checks for a RAM image. If one exists, it loads it, if not, it boots normally. Wake-from-hibernation on the Aspire One takes about 20 secs in my experience

I've done this with my Acer Aspire One (ZG5), and while I've gotten close to having a hibernating system (I've seen the grey screen) I've never successfully hibernated. It always kernel panics or reboots before the image is written.

What combination of bios / kernel / any other useful information are you using?

jchow7184

jchow7184

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed the FFScroll and are really unhappy with the performance. Anyone know how to uninstall and revert back to the original settings?

jarvisunit

jarvisunit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
What is the best complete system backup plan?

Because the OSX 10.5.6 installation takes so long, I'd like to create a bootable USB backup. Using Disk Utility, I ran into trouble because the AAO couldn't boot it, i think because the bootloader was incompatible with the backup.

I hope it's as easy as using a commercial backup solution, but they don't exactly advertise "compatible with Acer Aspire One Hackintoshes"

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jarvis

SticMAC™

SticMAC™

"Nobody likes a SmartASS"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
It should work!
If you use Disk Utility or Carbon Copy Cloner(CCC) you still need to install Chameleon to that drive in order to make it bootable on a PC!
The Cloning software only makes it work an a genuine Mac!

SticMAC

What is the best complete system backup plan?

Because the OSX 10.5.6 installation takes so long, I'd like to create a bootable USB backup. Using Disk Utility, I ran into trouble because the AAO couldn't boot it, i think because the bootloader was incompatible with the backup.

I hope it's as easy as using a commercial backup solution, but they don't exactly advertise "compatible with Acer Aspire One Hackintoshes"

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jarvis

xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
just a little edit for the parts with Editing the com.apple.boot.plist file
yopu dont have to do all that in terminal, you could just edit the file normally, navigate to the file, and right click, and give yourself permissions to read and write, problem solved.

Which update are you talking about for the built in wifi. can you link it. I have been using the netgear wg111v3 which works great but it is a dongle. would love to use the built in.

hes talking about the link by the restrictions, follow the replys in that thread, as well as the thread itself and it will work atleast 99.8% of the time.

computerdude

computerdude

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
after this step
"26. Using "Kext Helper b7", install all four .kext files from Diablo's Kexts/Part1, but DON'T REBOOT YET.
27. Move /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle to the trash. It will ask for your password. Type it in then click "OK". Reboot.
You should now have full 1024x600 resolution, as well as Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics acceleration enabled (translucent menu bar)."
the computer reboots and after the apple load screen i just get a white screen with some like interference lines in it and a white rectangle where the dock usually is... cant see any icons or any toolbars or anything. what do i do?

schwacorp

schwacorp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hey mates, im new to this, i tried setting it all up, but i can only get as far as attempting to boot from the USB... it just sits on a blank screen with a blinking input, i can't type anything in nor trace my way back... all i can do is manualy restart. if anyone has any tips or anyone has come accross this before, it would be much appreciated!

pbor2

pbor2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I have the same problem as @computerdude.
After install 4 kext's :
AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
Natit.kext
I see only gray screen and white dock.
Does anyone fix this problem ?

P.S. sorry for my English.

m477h3w

m477h3w

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi I have the same problem as @computerdude.
After install 4 kext's :
AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
Natit.kext
I see only gray screen and white dock.
Does anyone fix this problem ?

P.S. sorry for my English.

Yes, I got this for 3 months now but I finally know how to fix it and i'll share it with all you other guys. Pual's Wind Drivers do not work for Aspire One 150!! If they do they disappear after update. If you got the screen like pbor2 did and I then download the pack I am uploading, boot into safe mode using -X at chameleon or whatever bootloader you are using, login and use kext helper to install the kexts i've provided and finally restart and boot with -F just this once and you should be back and running and you'll get that nifty 1024x600 that I only got once in a million times of reinstalling OSx86! So, enjoy! Let me know if it works for you as I have Acer Aspire One 150 and I havent gotten the right resolutions until I did this. It took me i'd say 15 hours to find the right combination of kexts and the AppleGMA950 I included is straight from Apple and it works beautifully!

PS. Safeboot is optional, its only needed if your video is messed up like pbor2 ! ;)

Attached Files

pbor2

pbor2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thx all working perfect but now i trying install leopard from retail disk.
I test this distro on my desktop and it's very better than any different hackintosh.
Unfortunately acer rebooting all the time on apple logo.
If anybody trying install original apple leopard retail on aspire one ?

minus_273

minus_273

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
The files in this guide don't all work on 10.5.7 Here are updated kexts. I am using this on iakton 7 (10.5.7)

Remove auzilla, voodooHDA, ALC and AC97 and replace the appleHDA.kext here to get audio working. This is both the mic and sound out.

remove your old GMA950 files and Appleintegratedframebuffer and replace it with these. This will give you QE, CI , hardware acceleration AND VGA video out.

Attached Files

Lindsey3

Lindsey3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Anyone who can help???

(I'm hoping that I'm not posting this question in an inappropriate place...)

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire One with Mac OSX already installed. I bought it from a guy on ebay who used this forum to install OSX. I just received the computer and discovered that is crashes when I try to shut it down while using it as a Mac unplugged. The guy has proceeded to leave further e-mails from me unanswered once I mentioned this and asked for help. I'm pretty lost as to how to fix it.
I saw in the tutorial that this has something to do with the installation of a sound folder. I'm not too technologically impaired, but I'm by no means a computer whiz. Unfortunately, because I did not go through the process of installation I don't know where to begin to fix this problem. I don't know if there is something I can do at this point now that OSX is already installed. I would love some help on the matter if you have any suggestions.

Thank you so much!
Lindsey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy