Acer Aspire One Mac OS X 10.5.6 perfect install (using iATKOS_5i)

Just Because

56 posts in this topic

WORKING

* Wired network (Ethernet through RJ45 connector)

* Wireless network (Airport a.k.a. 802.11b/g(/n) through miniPCI-E card) - SEE RESTRICTION (1)

* Video with Quartz Extreme and Core Image acceleration, full 1024x600 resolution

* Extended display with an external monitor

* Sound input and output (with headphones autosensing)

* Card readers - SEE RESTRICTION (2)

* Remote CD/DVD drive sharing

* Two-finger trackpad scrolling

* Full ISO Keyboard

* USB 2.0

* Battery recognition

* Webcam

* Hyperthreading (Voodoo kernel option)

* Software Updates should work just like on a real Mac - let's see after 10.5.6+ release

* Shutdown and restart - SEE RESTRICTION (3)

RESTRICTIONS

(1) Wifi works if you swap the internal card for a Apple Airport Extreme or DW1390 or a similar Broadcom-based card, but in the (near?) future the stock card may work; it's a work-in-progress - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138351

(2) Card readers work with SD cards only right now, and only when the card(s) is/are inserted at boot-time; it's a work-in-progress - http://osxsdhci.sourceforge.net/

(3) Shutdown requires a very simple workaround to work properly when running on battery (see below).

NOT WORKING

* Sleep (reboots the machine)

Here's a topic to help you install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on your Acer Aspire One using the iATKOS v5i distribution. Compared to other excellent topics, this is a slightly adapted and more detailed how-to.

WARNING : you'll need a USB keyboard and mouse to install the 10.5.6 update (steps 22 to 25).

A - PREPARING THE INSTALLER

1. Download the iATKOS v5i distribution from any reliable source and check its MD5 signature by typing "sudo md5 " in Terminal, dragging the .iso file to the Terminal window and pressing the [RETURN] key (the MD5 signature you get must be 7219c67e9d770cab0d9e54dcd275cf4e).

2. First option is to burn iATKOS_5i.iso on a blank DVD (if you have an external DVD drive you'll be able to boot your One from). If you choose this option you can skip to the "B - INSTALLING, PART 1" section below.

3. If you don't have an external DVD drive, you can restore iATKOS_5i.iso to a blank partition on an external USB hard disk drive with an MBR partition scheme. You can use Disk Utility to do this (provided you already own a Mac with an Intel processor or an OSX86 system, running Mac OS X 10.5):

3a. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, then drag and drop iATKOS_5i.iso to the list on the left and double-click it to mount it.

3b. From the same list on the left, select the external drive you want to restore the .iso file to, click on the "Partition" tab, choose "1 partition" from the "Volume Scheme" drop-down menu, type the name you want to give it in the "Name" field, choose "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" in the "Format" drop-down list, click on "Options..." at the bottom, select the MBR partition scheme, click "OK" and finally click "Apply" on the main window.

3c. After Disk Utility has formatted your drive, select its partition (NOT the drive itself) from the list and click on the "Restore" tab. Drag and drop the "iATKOS 5i" volume (NOT the iATKOS_5i.iso file itself) from the same list to the "Source" field. Drag and drop the partition you've just created to the "Target" field. Click on "Restore". Disk Utility will now take a few minutes to restore the iATKOS installer to your partition.

3d. Next you need to use OSX86Tools (http://######.com/osx86tools/) to make your new partition bootable. Install and run OSX86Tools.app and click on the "Install EFI/Run FDISK" button (bottom right). A window will pop up. Select your drive and partition from the "Disk to Use:" menu. Select "PC_EFI v8" or "Chameleon EFI" from the "EFI to Install:" menu. Click "Run FDISK", wait until it's finished, and then click "Install EFI".

3e. When all is done, you can eject your drive and connect it to the One.

B - INSTALLING, PART 1

4. Power the One and press F12 when the "Acer" BIOS screen shows up, so that you can change the boot device. Select your drive in the list and tap the [RETURN] key.

5. When the installer loads, click on the button like it tells you to.

6. When you get to the "Welcome" screen, DON'T hit "Continue" straight away. Move your mouse pointer to the "Utilities" menu, and select "Disk Utility".

7. When the Disk Utility application has loaded, select your main drive (the one you want to install Mac OS X to) from the left-hand pane. Click on the "Partition" tab. Select "1 partition" in the "Volume Scheme" drop-down menu. Give your drive a nice name WITHOUT ANY SPACE IN IT (e.g. "AspireOneHD"). Select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" from the "Format" drop-down menu. Click "Options..." and select GUID Partition Table. Click "OK", and finally click "Apply" in the main window. Disk Utility will warn you that all previous data will be erased. Click "Partition".

8. Wait for Disk Utility to do its job, then select "Quit Disk Utility" from the "Disk Utility" menu.

9. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click "Continue". Click "Agree" when the legalese blurb pops up.

10. Choose a destination drive - obviously the one you just partitioned. Click "Continue".

11. Click "Customize".

12. Customize the installation as follows:

* iATKOS v5i Main System CHECKED

* Bootloader/PC EFI V9 CHECKED

* X86 Patches/Decrypters/AppleDecrypt CHECKED

* X86 Patches/SMBIOS drivers/SMBIOS Enablers/SMBIOS-EFI CHECKED

* X86 Patches/Disabler.kext CHECKED

* X86 Patches/PS/2 CHECKED

* Drivers/Network/Realtek R1000 CHECKED

!!! Everything else UNCHECKED !!!

13. Click "Done" and then "Install", and wait for the installation to complete. The display might freeze during the install process, but everything's fine: just touch the touchpad when the progress bar freezes.

14. When the installation is complete, click "Restart".

15. Kind of tricky : when the machine restarts and you get to the Darwin bootloader screen, press the [RETURN] key IMMEDIATELY to stop the countdown, then type "cpus=1" (without quotes) and press the [RETURN] key once more. Otherwise you'll get a kernel panic (crash).

16. Follow the instructions on the screen to set up your account.

C - INSTALLING, PART 2

17. When your Mac OS X desktop is up and running, launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" (without quotes), then press [RETURN]. You'll be asked for your password: type it in and press [RETURN]. You won't see your password while you're typing it, and the cursor won't move. This is normal behavior to prevent other people from seeing it. Move the cursor down until you reach "<key>Kernel Flags</key>", and type "cpus=1" (without quotes) between <string> and </string> just below. Press [CTRL]+[X], [Y] and [RETURN]. That'll prevent crashes at boot-time for good.

18. Download AAO_SbM_OSX_1056_Pack.zip (http://perso.numericable.fr/sbmordino/AAO_...X_1056_Pack.zip) and double-click to unzip it. Everything you'll need to install is in there, most notably Paul's "Kext Helper b7" application. BY ALL MEANS USE "KEXT HELPER B7" WHEN INSTALLING .KEXT FILES, IT'LL SAVE YOU A LOT OF HASSLES.

19. If you plan to install the voodoo kernel, backup /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/seatbelt.kext to your desktop computer or a USB memory card or any safe place you can think of.

19b. EVEN IF YOU DON'T PLAN TO INSTALL THE VOODOO KERNEL, backup /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane to some safe location as well.

20. Go to the Apple menu (upper left corner) and choose "Software Update...". Wait for the list of updates to show up, then check ONLY "Mac OS X Update 10.5.6". Click "Install 1 Item". Type in your password, then click "OK". Click "Agree". The downloading procedure will start. Click "Restart" when complete. The installation itself will start. The machine will reboot once finished.

21. It will reboot once more by itself while booting. This is normal, don't panic!

22. Connect a USB keyboard and USB mouse.

23. Replace the /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane file with the one you backed up.

24. Launch "Kext Helper b7". A warning will pop up, click "Open". Drag and drop "AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext" from the pack to Kext Helper's window. Type in your password in the "Password" text field, and click "EASY INSTALL". Click "OK". Wait for the install to proceed, then click "OK" again. If you get a kernel panic at this point, reboot and try again.

25. Reboot and unplug your USB keyboard and mouse.

26. Using "Kext Helper b7", install all four .kext files from Diablo's Kexts/Part1, but DON'T REBOOT YET.

27. Move /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle to the trash. It will ask for your password. Type it in then click "OK". Reboot.

You should now have full 1024x600 resolution, as well as Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics acceleration enabled (translucent menu bar).

28. Empty the trash. It will ask for confirmation. Click "OK".

29. Run "ALC 268 Fix". Get its window to the front and click "Quit" when it says "Done - You can reboot now"... only DON'T REBOOT YET.

30. Using "Kext Helper b7" once again, install the HDAEnabler.kext from Diablo's Kexts/Part2, but DON'T REBOOT YET.

31. Move the PowerManagement.bundle file from the pack to /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/. It will ask you to authenticate. Click "Authenticate", then type in your password and click "OK". Reboot.

32. Delete /AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, and /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext. Empty the trash. If it says something about AppleHDA is in use, just click continue and leave it. Reboot again.

33. Using "Kext Helper b7" once more, install all three .kext files from Diablo's Kexts/Part3 and reboot.

34. Run "AboutThisMac.pkg". Click "Continue". Click "Install". Type in your password and click "OK". After install is finished, click "Close".

35. Run "DoNotSleep.mpkg". Same procedure.

36. Launch "OSX86Tools.app" and click "Enable/Disable Quartz GL". Click "Enable Quartz GL" in the small translucent black window that pops up. Click "Restart".

37. You can delete "/Backup extensions" if you want.

38. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "diskutil repairPermissions /" (without quotes) then press [RETURN].

39. Wait for the permissions to be repaired, then reboot.

VOODOO KERNEL OPTION

Here's what you need to do to install the Voodoo kernel (HyperThreading-enabled and faster than the standard one):

a. Double-click on the "Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg" file in the pack. You can check http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/for a newer version.

b. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" (without quotes), then press [RETURN]. You'll be asked for your password: type it in and press [RETURN]. Move the cursor down until you reach "<key>Kernel Flags</key>", and delete "cpus=1" between <string> and </string> just below. Press [CTRL]+[X], [Y] and [RETURN].

c. Double-click on "Voodoo Kernel Installer.pkg"

d. Reboot.

e. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type this:

cd /

sudo chown root:wheel mach_kernel.voodoo

sudo chmod 644 mach_kernel.voodoo

sudo pico .hidden

<type "mach_kernel.voodoo" without quotes, then press [CTRL]+[X], [Y] then [RETURN]>

killall Finder

f. Quit Terminal

g. Using "Kext Helper b7", install the System.kext and seatbelt.kext files you backed up at step 19.

h. Reboot.

SHUTDOWN CRASH WORKAROUND

To prevent your Aspire One from crashing when you shut it down while running on battery, you need to drag and drop the ShutdownSound folder (NOT the four files inside it, the WHOLE folder) from the pack to /Library/StartupItems/. This will ensure that the audio circuitry gets activated on shutdown, so that the machine doesn't crash. You can change the .wav file to suit your taste (8 seconds of silence right now), if you know what you're doing. Hopefully the people developing the Voodoo kernel will find a fix for that soon.

CLAMSHELL MODE

To prevent your One from sleeping (and crashing) when you close the lid, install DoNotSleep.mpkg (you can check http://semaja2.net/insomniax/ for a newer version). Double-click on it and follow the instructions.

SD-CARD READERS

If you want to use the built-in SD-card readers, you need to install the "IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext" (use Kext Helper for this, as always). The version included in the pack is the final candidate 1, but you can check http://osxsdhci.sourceforge.net/ for a newer version.

CALIBRATED DISPLAY PROFILES

Calibrated display profiles are included in the pack (in the CalibratedDisplayProfiles folder, obviously). They'll improve contrast and colour accuracy dramatically. Drag and drop both of them to /Library/Colorsync/Profiles/. The first one uses a white color temperature suitable for photographers, while the other one uses the native temperature of the One's LCD screen. Select the one you want to use from the Displays prefpane in System Preferences.

EXTENDED DISPLAY FIX

To prevent video glitches when using an external monitor, you need to install the GMA950.pkg (http://perso.numericable.fr/sbmordino/GMA950.pkg.zip).

LOCALIZATION

If you want a fully localized Mac OS X, run /Optional Installs/Optional Installs.mpkg from a genuine retail Leopard DVD and follow the instructions. This can be installed once you have your system running.

TWO-FINGER SCROLLING

To enable two-finger scrolling functionality with the trackpad, install "FFScroll OSx86 Installer.pkg" and reboot. The functionality is a bit tricky to master. I found it works better if you lay the second finger flatter on the trackpad, but your mileage may vary. If someone has the know-how to tweak the prefpane's settings to get a better behavior on the One, please keep us posted.

REMOTE CD/DVD DRIVE SHARING (thanks to saitekx36 & fletch33)

WARNING : Drive sharing seems to crash the Finder if you use the columns view.

You need first to install a piece of software on the host machine (i.e. the computer that your drive is connected to):

FOR MAC OS X (you shouldn't need it on Mac OS X 10.5.5/10.5.6, it won't install if you don't need it): http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-r ... _Setup.dmg

FOR WINDOWS: http://supportdownload.apple.com/downlo ... SSetup.exe

On your Aspire One, launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true

Reboot. Don't forget to enable CD/DVD drive sharing on the host computer in System Preferences>Sharing

FULL ISO KEYBOARD ("<>" key with French layout, for instance)

Copy ApplePS2Keyboard.kext from the pack to /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ to replace the original one. BE CAREFUL: don't install it in /System/Extensions/ but INSIDE the ApplePS2Controller.kext you'll find there (right-click on it and select "Show Package Contents").

Open Terminal and type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Reboot.

MODIFIED FRENCH KEYLAYOUT (Thanks to VIRAL for his work on this )

Drag my modified French keylayout (FrAspireOne.keylayout) to /Library/Keyboard Layouts/, then open System Preferences>International>Input Menu and check "FrAspireOne" and "Show input menu in menu bar". You should see a flag pop up in the menu bar. Select the FrAspireOne keyboard from there. You can uncheck "Show input menu in menu bar" afterwards.

Reboot if necessary.

GENERAL NOTE ABOUT THE ACER ASPIRE ONE KEYBOARD

Note that the menu key doesn't work, and that Alt and AltGr act as the Command key on a real Mac keyboard, while the "home" key is actually the Alt/Option key. You can either swap the Alt and "home" keys on your keyboard, or change their behavior in the Keyboard & Mouse prefpane.

ABOUT AVAILABLE APPLE UPDATES*

- Quicktime 7.5.5 is safe to install

- Quicktime 7.6 is safe to install

- iTunes 8.0.2 is safe to install

- Java For Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2 (1.0) is safe to install

- Java Update 3 for Mac OS X 10.5 (1.0) is safe to install

- QuickTime H.264 Compatibility Update 7.5.5 is safe to install

- Front Row Update 2.1.6 is safe to install

- Safari 3.2.1 is safe to install

- iLife Media Browser Update 2.0 is safe to install

- Security Update 2009-001 (1.0) is safe to install

* "safe" means safe regardless of the kernel you're running (genuine/vanilla or voodoo)

That's all for now! Enjoy!

MISC ISSUES:

If your Keyboard & Mouse prefpane stops working, go to /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane/Contents/Resources/ and delete your language .lproj file. The prefpane will now be in English but at least it'll work. Alternatively, you can try replacing it with the .lproj file from a genuine Mac OS X install: it worked for me under Mac OS X 10.5.4, but not under Mac OS X 10.5.6...

SOURCES:

* DoNotSleep extension : http://semaja2.net/insomniax/DoNotSleep.mpkg.tgz

* SD-card readers extension : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/osxsdh ... g_mirror=0

* PlaySound utility (for shutdown fix) : http://microcosmsoftware.com/playsound/

* OSX86Tools : http://######.com/osx86tools/

courtesy of aspireone forum

Nice guide. I've tried XxX and iPC on my Aspire One. XxX gives best results without extra kexts. Butafter some modification they both made for the same functionality. Why use iAtkos? There are already topics on other distro's. What's the gain? Nevertheless, nice guide! One of the best I've seen.

Note that the menu key doesn't work, and that Alt and AltGr act as the Command key on a real Mac keyboard, while the "home" key is actually the Alt/Option key. You can either swap the Alt and "home" keys on your keyboard, or change their behavior in the Keyboard & Mouse prefpane.

Do you mean physically swap the keys? I'm a little afraid I will break theme. Do you have some hints or a tutorial video?

I removed already two keys by accident with my fingernails when i opened the keyboard - it seems to be safe, i guess it's best to lift them at the upper edge. =)

Thanks! It worked. Indeed the upper edge is the way to go.

This guide rules. I gave it a spin last night after I installed my Broadcom wireless card. Haven't tried voodoo kernel update because I accidentally deleted the backed up seatbelt.kext the guide says to replace.

I suggest using a credit card to separate the top bezel once the screws are loose, just slide the edge of the card along the sides. No reason to use finernails or a screwdriver.

Everything is working great! Thanks for the guide. I haven't installed the new wireless card yet, but I've been able to tunnel through ssh on my iPhone. Not bad for quick internet access.

BTW, I'm dual booting into XP. Both OS's work great.

Question: Does installing the extended display fix affect video performance negatively?

I used this guide (from the AspireOneUser.com forums) and it went very smoothly.

The extended display hack does cause video artifacts in some applications, mostly Microsoft Office.

The problem with using iATKOS, however, is that hibernation is not possible. Nobody knows why at the moments, but unlike the other builds, you can't hibernate successfully.

For this reason alone, i would recommend avoiding it for now, until someone smart figures out what the problem is.

I've "successfully" installed 10.5.6 on my Aspire One using both the Boot-132 retail DVD method and the excellent iPC distro, but I feel it's more of an exercise in what-if hacking than winding up with a good working MacBook Mini. Without a working internal mic, you've got no VOIP. Without 800 pixels, many Mac programs -- and even Hac programs like OSX86 Tools -- have key buttons below the screen cutoff. And no sleep/hibernate so the Acer works just like a real Mac, i.e. close the lid and it sleeps, and when you wake it you don't lose sound or get a kernel panic? That's a deal breaker for me, I have to admit.

I may get stoned for saying this but I ended up putting the Win7 beta on it with all the activation hacks and now everything works the way it should -- wireless, audio in/out, webcam, sleep/hibernate, everything. The Win7 beta is extremely speedy on these Atom netbooks, though of course you don't get iLife or your other favorite OSX apps. But for browsing and Office, which is pretty much what these Atombooks are limited to, the Win7 beta can deliver a fairly Maclike experience without the current limitations of running OSX on them.

I used this guide (from the AspireOneUser.com forums) and it went very smoothly.

The extended display hack does cause video artifacts in some applications, mostly Microsoft Office.

The problem with using iATKOS, however, is that hibernation is not possible. Nobody knows why at the moments, but unlike the other builds, you can't hibernate successfully.

For this reason alone, i would recommend avoiding it for now, until someone smart figures out what the problem is.

WORKING

* Wired network (Ethernet through RJ45 connector)

* Wireless network (Airport a.k.a. 802.11b/g(/n) through miniPCI-E card) - SEE RESTRICTION (1)

* Video with Quartz Extreme and Core Image acceleration, full 1024x600 resolution

* Extended display with an external monitor

* Sound input and output (with headphones autosensing)

* Card readers - SEE RESTRICTION (2)

* Remote CD/DVD drive sharing

* Two-finger trackpad scrolling

* Full ISO Keyboard

* USB 2.0

* Battery recognition

* Webcam

* Hyperthreading (Voodoo kernel option)

* Software Updates should work just like on a real Mac - let's see after 10.5.6+ release

* Shutdown and restart - SEE RESTRICTION (3)

RESTRICTIONS

(1) Wifi works if you swap the internal card for a Apple Airport Extreme or DW1390 or a similar Broadcom-based card, but in the (near?) future the stock card may work; it's a work-in-progress - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138351

(2) Card readers work with SD cards only right now, and only when the card(s) is/are inserted at boot-time; it's a work-in-progress - http://osxsdhci.sourceforge.net/

(3) Shutdown requires a very simple workaround to work properly when running on battery (see below).

NOT WORKING

* Sleep (reboots the machine)

Here's a topic to help you install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on your Acer Aspire One using the iATKOS v5i distribution. Compared to other excellent topics, this is a slightly adapted and more detailed how-to.

WARNING : you'll need a USB keyboard and mouse to install the 10.5.6 update (steps 22 to 25).

A - PREPARING THE INSTALLER

1. Download the iATKOS v5i distribution from any reliable source and check its MD5 signature by typing "sudo md5 " in Terminal, dragging the .iso file to the Terminal window and pressing the [RETURN] key (the MD5 signature you get must be 7219c67e9d770cab0d9e54dcd275cf4e).

2. First option is to burn iATKOS_5i.iso on a blank DVD (if you have an external DVD drive you'll be able to boot your One from). If you choose this option you can skip to the "B - INSTALLING, PART 1" section below.

3. If you don't have an external DVD drive, you can restore iATKOS_5i.iso to a blank partition on an external USB hard disk drive with an MBR partition scheme. You can use Disk Utility to do this (provided you already own a Mac with an Intel processor or an OSX86 system, running Mac OS X 10.5):

3a. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, then drag and drop iATKOS_5i.iso to the list on the left and double-click it to mount it.

3b. From the same list on the left, select the external drive you want to restore the .iso file to, click on the "Partition" tab, choose "1 partition" from the "Volume Scheme" drop-down menu, type the name you want to give it in the "Name" field, choose "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" in the "Format" drop-down list, click on "Options..." at the bottom, select the MBR partition scheme, click "OK" and finally click "Apply" on the main window.

3c. After Disk Utility has formatted your drive, select its partition (NOT the drive itself) from the list and click on the "Restore" tab. Drag and drop the "iATKOS 5i" volume (NOT the iATKOS_5i.iso file itself) from the same list to the "Source" field. Drag and drop the partition you've just created to the "Target" field. Click on "Restore". Disk Utility will now take a few minutes to restore the iATKOS installer to your partition.

3d. Next you need to use OSX86Tools (http://######.com/osx86tools/) to make your new partition bootable. Install and run OSX86Tools.app and click on the "Install EFI/Run FDISK" button (bottom right). A window will pop up. Select your drive and partition from the "Disk to Use:" menu. Select "PC_EFI v8" or "Chameleon EFI" from the "EFI to Install:" menu. Click "Run FDISK", wait until it's finished, and then click "Install EFI".

3e. When all is done, you can eject your drive and connect it to the One.

B - INSTALLING, PART 1

4. Power the One and press F12 when the "Acer" BIOS screen shows up, so that you can change the boot device. Select your drive in the list and tap the [RETURN] key.

5. When the installer loads, click on the button like it tells you to.

6. When you get to the "Welcome" screen, DON'T hit "Continue" straight away. Move your mouse pointer to the "Utilities" menu, and select "Disk Utility".

7. When the Disk Utility application has loaded, select your main drive (the one you want to install Mac OS X to) from the left-hand pane. Click on the "Partition" tab. Select "1 partition" in the "Volume Scheme" drop-down menu. Give your drive a nice name WITHOUT ANY SPACE IN IT (e.g. "AspireOneHD"). Select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" from the "Format" drop-down menu. Click "Options..." and select GUID Partition Table. Click "OK", and finally click "Apply" in the main window. Disk Utility will warn you that all previous data will be erased. Click "Partition".

8. Wait for Disk Utility to do its job, then select "Quit Disk Utility" from the "Disk Utility" menu.

9. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click "Continue". Click "Agree" when the legalese blurb pops up.

10. Choose a destination drive - obviously the one you just partitioned. Click "Continue".

11. Click "Customize".

12. Customize the installation as follows:

* iATKOS v5i Main System CHECKED

* Bootloader/PC EFI V9 CHECKED

* X86 Patches/Decrypters/AppleDecrypt CHECKED

* X86 Patches/SMBIOS drivers/SMBIOS Enablers/SMBIOS-EFI CHECKED

* X86 Patches/Disabler.kext CHECKED

* X86 Patches/PS/2 CHECKED

* Drivers/Network/Realtek R1000 CHECKED

!!! Everything else UNCHECKED !!!

13. Click "Done" and then "Install", and wait for the installation to complete. The display might freeze during the install process, but everything's fine: just touch the touchpad when the progress bar freezes.

14. When the installation is complete, click "Restart".

15. Kind of tricky : when the machine restarts and you get to the Darwin bootloader screen, press the [RETURN] key IMMEDIATELY to stop the countdown, then type "cpus=1" (without quotes) and press the [RETURN] key once more. Otherwise you'll get a kernel panic (crash).

16. Follow the instructions on the screen to set up your account.

C - INSTALLING, PART 2

17. When your Mac OS X desktop is up and running, launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" (without quotes), then press [RETURN]. You'll be asked for your password: type it in and press [RETURN]. You won't see your password while you're typing it, and the cursor won't move. This is normal behavior to prevent other people from seeing it. Move the cursor down until you reach "<key>Kernel Flags</key>", and type "cpus=1" (without quotes) between <string> and </string> just below. Press [CTRL]+[X], [Y] and [RETURN]. That'll prevent crashes at boot-time for good.

18. Download AAO_SbM_OSX_1056_Pack.zip (http://perso.numericable.fr/sbmordino/AAO_...X_1056_Pack.zip) and double-click to unzip it. Everything you'll need to install is in there, most notably Paul's "Kext Helper b7" application. BY ALL MEANS USE "KEXT HELPER B7" WHEN INSTALLING .KEXT FILES, IT'LL SAVE YOU A LOT OF HASSLES.

19. If you plan to install the voodoo kernel, backup /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/seatbelt.kext to your desktop computer or a USB memory card or any safe place you can think of.

19b. EVEN IF YOU DON'T PLAN TO INSTALL THE VOODOO KERNEL, backup /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane to some safe location as well.

20. Go to the Apple menu (upper left corner) and choose "Software Update...". Wait for the list of updates to show up, then check ONLY "Mac OS X Update 10.5.6". Click "Install 1 Item". Type in your password, then click "OK". Click "Agree". The downloading procedure will start. Click "Restart" when complete. The installation itself will start. The machine will reboot once finished.

21. It will reboot once more by itself while booting. This is normal, don't panic!

22. Connect a USB keyboard and USB mouse.

23. Replace the /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane file with the one you backed up.

24. Launch "Kext Helper b7". A warning will pop up, click "Open". Drag and drop "AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext" from the pack to Kext Helper's window. Type in your password in the "Password" text field, and click "EASY INSTALL". Click "OK". Wait for the install to proceed, then click "OK" again. If you get a kernel panic at this point, reboot and try again.

25. Reboot and unplug your USB keyboard and mouse.

26. Using "Kext Helper b7", install all four .kext files from Diablo's Kexts/Part1, but DON'T REBOOT YET.

27. Move /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle to the trash. It will ask for your password. Type it in then click "OK". Reboot.

You should now have full 1024x600 resolution, as well as Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics acceleration enabled (translucent menu bar).

28. Empty the trash. It will ask for confirmation. Click "OK".

29. Run "ALC 268 Fix". Get its window to the front and click "Quit" when it says "Done - You can reboot now"... only DON'T REBOOT YET.

30. Using "Kext Helper b7" once again, install the HDAEnabler.kext from Diablo's Kexts/Part2, but DON'T REBOOT YET.

31. Move the PowerManagement.bundle file from the pack to /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/. It will ask you to authenticate. Click "Authenticate", then type in your password and click "OK". Reboot.

32. Delete /AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, and /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext. Empty the trash. If it says something about AppleHDA is in use, just click continue and leave it. Reboot again.

33. Using "Kext Helper b7" once more, install all three .kext files from Diablo's Kexts/Part3 and reboot.

34. Run "AboutThisMac.pkg". Click "Continue". Click "Install". Type in your password and click "OK". After install is finished, click "Close".

35. Run "DoNotSleep.mpkg". Same procedure.

36. Launch "OSX86Tools.app" and click "Enable/Disable Quartz GL". Click "Enable Quartz GL" in the small translucent black window that pops up. Click "Restart".

37. You can delete "/Backup extensions" if you want.

38. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "diskutil repairPermissions /" (without quotes) then press [RETURN].

39. Wait for the permissions to be repaired, then reboot.

VOODOO KERNEL OPTION

Here's what you need to do to install the Voodoo kernel (HyperThreading-enabled and faster than the standard one):

a. Double-click on the "Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg" file in the pack. You can check http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/for a newer version.

b. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" (without quotes), then press [RETURN]. You'll be asked for your password: type it in and press [RETURN]. Move the cursor down until you reach "<key>Kernel Flags</key>", and delete "cpus=1" between <string> and </string> just below. Press [CTRL]+[X], [Y] and [RETURN].

c. Double-click on "Voodoo Kernel Installer.pkg"

d. Reboot.

e. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type this:

cd /

sudo chown root:wheel mach_kernel.voodoo

sudo chmod 644 mach_kernel.voodoo

sudo pico .hidden

<type "mach_kernel.voodoo" without quotes, then press [CTRL]+[X], [Y] then [RETURN]>

killall Finder

f. Quit Terminal

g. Using "Kext Helper b7", install the System.kext and seatbelt.kext files you backed up at step 19.

h. Reboot.

SHUTDOWN CRASH WORKAROUND

To prevent your Aspire One from crashing when you shut it down while running on battery, you need to drag and drop the ShutdownSound folder (NOT the four files inside it, the WHOLE folder) from the pack to /Library/StartupItems/. This will ensure that the audio circuitry gets activated on shutdown, so that the machine doesn't crash. You can change the .wav file to suit your taste (8 seconds of silence right now), if you know what you're doing. Hopefully the people developing the Voodoo kernel will find a fix for that soon.

CLAMSHELL MODE

To prevent your One from sleeping (and crashing) when you close the lid, install DoNotSleep.mpkg (you can check http://semaja2.net/insomniax/ for a newer version). Double-click on it and follow the instructions.

SD-CARD READERS

If you want to use the built-in SD-card readers, you need to install the "IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext" (use Kext Helper for this, as always). The version included in the pack is the final candidate 1, but you can check http://osxsdhci.sourceforge.net/ for a newer version.

CALIBRATED DISPLAY PROFILES

Calibrated display profiles are included in the pack (in the CalibratedDisplayProfiles folder, obviously). They'll improve contrast and colour accuracy dramatically. Drag and drop both of them to /Library/Colorsync/Profiles/. The first one uses a white color temperature suitable for photographers, while the other one uses the native temperature of the One's LCD screen. Select the one you want to use from the Displays prefpane in System Preferences.

EXTENDED DISPLAY FIX

To prevent video glitches when using an external monitor, you need to install the GMA950.pkg (http://perso.numericable.fr/sbmordino/GMA950.pkg.zip).

LOCALIZATION

If you want a fully localized Mac OS X, run /Optional Installs/Optional Installs.mpkg from a genuine retail Leopard DVD and follow the instructions. This can be installed once you have your system running.

TWO-FINGER SCROLLING

To enable two-finger scrolling functionality with the trackpad, install "FFScroll OSx86 Installer.pkg" and reboot. The functionality is a bit tricky to master. I found it works better if you lay the second finger flatter on the trackpad, but your mileage may vary. If someone has the know-how to tweak the prefpane's settings to get a better behavior on the One, please keep us posted.

REMOTE CD/DVD DRIVE SHARING (thanks to saitekx36 & fletch33)

WARNING : Drive sharing seems to crash the Finder if you use the columns view.

You need first to install a piece of software on the host machine (i.e. the computer that your drive is connected to):

FOR MAC OS X (you shouldn't need it on Mac OS X 10.5.5/10.5.6, it won't install if you don't need it): http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-r ... _Setup.dmg

FOR WINDOWS: http://supportdownload.apple.com/downlo ... SSetup.exe

On your Aspire One, launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true

Reboot. Don't forget to enable CD/DVD drive sharing on the host computer in System Preferences>Sharing

FULL ISO KEYBOARD ("<>" key with French layout, for instance)

Copy ApplePS2Keyboard.kext from the pack to /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ to replace the original one. BE CAREFUL: don't install it in /System/Extensions/ but INSIDE the ApplePS2Controller.kext you'll find there (right-click on it and select "Show Package Contents").

Open Terminal and type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Reboot.

MODIFIED FRENCH KEYLAYOUT (Thanks to VIRAL for his work on this )

Drag my modified French keylayout (FrAspireOne.keylayout) to /Library/Keyboard Layouts/, then open System Preferences>International>Input Menu and check "FrAspireOne" and "Show input menu in menu bar". You should see a flag pop up in the menu bar. Select the FrAspireOne keyboard from there. You can uncheck "Show input menu in menu bar" afterwards.

Reboot if necessary.

ABOUT AVAILABLE APPLE UPDATES*

- Quicktime 7.5.5 is safe to install

- Quicktime 7.6 is safe to install

- iTunes 8.0.2 is safe to install

- Java For Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2 (1.0) is safe to install

- Java Update 3 for Mac OS X 10.5 (1.0) is safe to install

- QuickTime H.264 Compatibility Update 7.5.5 is safe to install

- Front Row Update 2.1.6 is safe to install

- Safari 3.2.1 is safe to install

- iLife Media Browser Update 2.0 is safe to install

- Security Update 2009-001 (1.0) is safe to install

* "safe" means safe regardless of the kernel you're running (genuine/vanilla or voodoo)

That's all for now! Enjoy!

MISC ISSUES:

If your Keyboard & Mouse prefpane stops working, go to /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane/Contents/Resources/ and delete your language .lproj file. The prefpane will now be in English but at least it'll work. Alternatively, you can try replacing it with the .lproj file from a genuine Mac OS X install: it worked for me under Mac OS X 10.5.4, but not under Mac OS X 10.5.6...

SOURCES:

* DoNotSleep extension : http://semaja2.net/insomniax/DoNotSleep.mpkg.tgz

* SD-card readers extension : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/osxsdh ... g_mirror=0

* PlaySound utility (for shutdown fix) : http://microcosmsoftware.com/playsound/

* OSX86Tools : http://######.com/osx86tools/

courtesy of aspireone forum

I did the above to the point of selecting my USB drive after hitting F12, and after I do so, I just see a blinking cursor, it won't proceed into the setup screen etc. just a black screen and the cursor in the upper left corner.

Advice?

Thanks a million for this post BTW!!!!

Faslane

• 2 weeks later...

I believe other distros offer working hibernate (and might offer working wifi). What is the compelling virtue of iATKOS on the AAO?

As a side note, I like Win7 on my Acer Aspire One 8.9" as well. (There are now getting to be so many of these netbooks from each of the main manufacturers, that I think it's time to get more specific. The new AAO has learned from the closed-ness of the one we all have, and has various doors on the bottom for upgrades -- at the expense of losing some of the smallness of the machine.) The one persistent Win7 usability problem I have is that when composing in gmail, the text box doesn't work right. Still, after a week of Vista on it, I upgraded to the Win7 beta at the same time as I partitioned the disk to also allow for an installation of OS X, and haven't looked back.

I'm on the fence about upgrading to one of the newer AAO's. I'd love the doors (I haven't yet taken apart my AAO to upgrade the RAM, and I keep hoping for an OS X patch that will make the stock wifi work) because even as much as touching a functioning acer keyboard scares me. Over the years, I've batted no more than 50% on keyboards on acer laptops AND desktops that I and friends have owned at home or work, and so far, knock on wood, this one has no dead keys and no keys that have fallen off yet. So I really hate to tempt fate by screwing with it. BUT, I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up the small size of the original AAO to get the doors, which of course also means taking a chance that I'll get two good acer keyboards in a row, which I view as somewhat unlikely. Upgrades or not, I've already used this notebook more in random locations than I have any previous notebook -- and I've owned laptops since the late 1980's. It fits in a large storm jacket pocket, so I can easily carry it everywhere. This tells me that despite its limitations, the thing serves a purpose well, and maybe I should just be content with that for a while... and wait hopefully for working OS X wifi that uses the stock components.

Acer, are you listening out there, some of us Really Like the original form factor and would prefer an upgrade that keeps it. I've used the AAO 8.9" on FIVE different airlines and had no problems, but it was close at least once. The 10" just would not meet my needs as well if it ads even a half an inch of case size.

I heard that kalyway might have the stock wifi working. Anyone know if that's true?

As a side note, I'm in a Bellevue, WA coffee shop down the road from Microsoft's headquarters, and the machines in use here right now are my AAO, an Amazon Kindle 2 and a Macbook Pro. That is about usual for this coffee shop, on the first floor of an office tower half occupied by Microsoft. Actually, it usually doesn't have the Kindle, and usually has at least one more variety of Macbook. Conventional Windows notebook makers should be concerned. Our area tends to be on the leading edge of tech trends.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i installed exactly as the how-to indicates.

But im having a litle issue with my external monitor. Display at System Preferences says the external monitor is running @60hz but the info panel in my monitor menu says the Refresh rate is 59Hz (It should be running @60)

How i can resolve this problem? thanks in advance.

this works flawlessly! Still looking for the sleep fix which would be awesome since I like to keep it on and at the ready all day while working and traveling around. NICE WORK!

Have you enabled hibernate ("deep sleep")? A decent enough workaround, and actually is awesome with battery power. Takes about 20 secs from the time you press the on switch until your RAM image is restored.

How did you enable hibernate? Sleep without crashing and/or waking up without sound is the last piece of the puzzle keeping me from running OSX on my Aspire One.

Have you enabled hibernate ("deep sleep")? A decent enough workaround, and actually is awesome with battery power. Takes about 20 secs from the time you press the on switch until your RAM image is restored.

How did you enable hibernate? Sleep without crashing and/or waking up without sound is the last piece of the puzzle keeping me from running OSX on my Aspire One.

Install SmartSleep which I have attached. Install the System Prefs pane (all users), and select "Hibernate Only". Now whenever the computer would normally sleep, it will hibernate (i.e., you can change your Energy Savers prefs back to allowing sleep). I have also attached the ClamshellDisplay.kext which you should install with KextHelper. This will enable hibernation when you close the clamshell.

NOTE: Hibernation, or deep-sleep does the following: it writes an image of your RAM to the hard drive and then shuts down. Whenever you start up, it first checks for a RAM image. If one exists, it loads it, if not, it boots normally. Wake-from-hibernation on the Aspire One takes about 20 secs in my experience

SmartSleep.1.4._1689_.dmg.zip

ClamshellDisplay.kext.zip

Thanks for the info. I installed SmartSleep, set it to hibernate only, and added the clamshell kext with OSX86 tools. So now closing the lid "sleeps" the Aspire as you describe.

But..

I still lose audio after the AA1 wakes up. This is a documented issue with the SmartSleep fix and I mentioned in my earlier post that I was looking for a solution to sleeping an Aspire One running OSX that didn't lose audio upon waking. I guess we're still not there yet, and unfortunately it is a deal-breaker for me and I would imagine anyone who plans to use this system in any kind of real-world situation. These days, sound is a major part of the web.

Thanks for your help though. I appreciate your tips.

Install SmartSleep which I have attached. Install the System Prefs pane (all users), and select "Hibernate Only". Now whenever the computer would normally sleep, it will hibernate (i.e., you can change your Energy Savers prefs back to allowing sleep). I have also attached the ClamshellDisplay.kext which you should install with KextHelper. This will enable hibernation when you close the clamshell.

NOTE: Hibernation, or deep-sleep does the following: it writes an image of your RAM to the hard drive and then shuts down. Whenever you start up, it first checks for a RAM image. If one exists, it loads it, if not, it boots normally. Wake-from-hibernation on the Aspire One takes about 20 secs in my experience

Thanks for the info. I installed SmartSleep, set it to hibernate only, and added the clamshell kext with OSX86 tools. So now closing the lid "sleeps" the Aspire as you describe.

But..

I still lose audio after the AA1 wakes up. This is a documented issue with the SmartSleep fix and I mentioned in my earlier post that I was looking for a solution to sleeping an Aspire One running OSX that didn't lose audio upon waking. I guess we're still not there yet, and unfortunately it is a deal-breaker for me and I would imagine anyone who plans to use this system in any kind of real-world situation. These days, sound is a major part of the web.

Thanks for your help though. I appreciate your tips.

FWIW the headphone jack still works. Good luck

Hello,

I installed iatkos5i and after installing 10.5.6 my usb thumb driver won't mount anymore, my external hard drive won't work either but usb works for other things or if I reboot if both of them plugged in then it mounts and everything works fine. Any ideas????

Well, that may in fact be the thing that keeps OSX on this Acer, because it's for my daughter's room, in a stationary setup with external speakers, etc. So this might work after all. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

FWIW the headphone jack still works. Good luck

Your Seatbelt.kext must match your kernel

Hello,

I installed iatkos5i and after installing 10.5.6 my usb thumb driver won't mount anymore, my external hard drive won't work either but usb works for other things or if I reboot if both of them plugged in then it mounts and everything works fine. Any ideas????

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I've installed osx 10.5.6 ideneb 1.4... i'm trying to get this hibernate to work but its not working out for the reason that when I hit sleep it will just instantly go out with a black screen and power out, i have installed the smartsleep1.4 but it does not seem to work... any sugestions?

• 2 weeks later...
I've "successfully" installed 10.5.6 on my Aspire One using both the Boot-132 retail DVD method and the excellent iPC distro, but I feel it's more of an exercise in what-if hacking than winding up with a good working MacBook Mini. Without a working internal mic, you've got no VOIP. Without 800 pixels, many Mac programs -- and even Hac programs like OSX86 Tools -- have key buttons below the screen cutoff. And no sleep/hibernate so the Acer works just like a real Mac, i.e. close the lid and it sleeps, and when you wake it you don't lose sound or get a kernel panic? That's a deal breaker for me, I have to admit.

I may get stoned for saying this but I ended up putting the Win7 beta on it with all the activation hacks and now everything works the way it should -- wireless, audio in/out, webcam, sleep/hibernate, everything. The Win7 beta is extremely speedy on these Atom netbooks, though of course you don't get iLife or your other favorite OSX apps. But for browsing and Office, which is pretty much what these Atombooks are limited to, the Win7 beta can deliver a fairly Maclike experience without the current limitations of running OSX on them.

As far as the 800 pixel thing, I have had good luck with changing the display scale of apps. To do this, try the following:

1. 1. look in ~/Library/Preferences/ for the .plist file for the application you are interested in. For example, OSX86Tools is com.pcwiz.osx86tools.plist. You will be using this file name (minus the .plist) in the next step

2. 2. start a terminal window (in Applications->utilities) and type (in this example),
    defaults write com.pcwiz.osx86tools AppleDisplayScaleFactor .8

The .8 represents the percentage you want the app to display (.8 = 80%, 1 = 100%)

3. 3. Launch the application and see how that size works. You can repeat step 2 as necessary to determine the optimal size.

Thanks for the tip. I've tried this hack, and while it does let you see more of an app's screen, I find it's more of a temporary fix than a screen mode you'd want to leave on all the time. Reading text on these tiny 9 and 10" screens is already a chore, but it becomes a lot more difficult in "fake 800 pixel" mode.

I'm much happier with my Aspire One (original 9" screen version) running Win7 Beta, especially the latest rev. All anyone should really be asking of these Atom netbooks is web browsing, Skype, and word processing, maybe some light image editing, etc. So what if I launch Firefox, Skype, word processing, and Photoshop from Win7's dock instead of Leopard's? I'm typing this on my MacBook, and we've got a house full of real Macs, but while I'd love for the little Acer to run OSX perfectly, the truth is it cannot. You have to hack the {censored} out of it just to get Leopard to boot, and then you have to live with real deal-breakers like the webcam's mic input level is weak and can't be adjusted, and if you can manage to get lid-closed sleep to work with Safe Sleep and setting the pref panel to never sleep, when you wake the Acer again you lose sound out of the built-in speakers.

This sounds like a rant but it isn't. Installed properly, 10.5.6 runs surprisingly well on the Aspire One. It's a cool trick -- world's smallest Mac laptop. But I want an actual working laptop, with fully working audio and hibernation, that lets me use apps without cutting off the bottoms of control panels. OSX on an Aspire One isn't there yet. But throw Win7 Beta on this little guy and it's a much more highly capable nano book.

That said, I appreciate the continued efforts of the guys here who keep chipping away at the stone. I hope they manage to figure out how to solve all the little quirks that keep the AA1 from being a "perfect OSX install" as all these threads claim. I'll be the first to wipe my Acer's drive and put OSX back on it. Let's just try and refrain from saying it's a "perfect install" when you still have so many major issues which haven't been solved yet. "Perfect install" is what you can achieve with a BadAxe2 and the right kexts. It does everything a real Mac can do and everything works. Even the most optimized build on an Aspire One can't claim that. Again, not trying to be a whiner, just trying to be realistic.

As far as the 800 pixel thing, I have had good luck with changing the display scale of apps. To do this, try the following:
  1. 1. look in ~/Library/Preferences/ for the .plist file for the application you are interested in. For example, OSX86Tools is com.pcwiz.osx86tools.plist. You will be using this file name (minus the .plist) in the next step
  2. 2. start a terminal window (in Applications->utilities) and type (in this example),
    defaults write com.pcwiz.osx86tools AppleDisplayScaleFactor .8

The .8 represents the percentage you want the app to display (.8 = 80%, 1 = 100%)

3. 3. Launch the application and see how that size works. You can repeat step 2 as necessary to determine the optimal size.