• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

brayanaustin

brayanaustin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thats not Apple blocks all the videos just are not transformed. Not all videos on YouTube can be played on iPhone / iPod Touch must be converted to MPEG first.

mixolosopher

mixolosopher

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I opened this topic quite a while ago and you were all treating me like a lunatic but I hope by now you all see how they block music videos. REALLY pisses me and it got worse. Are there any workarounds? So many music videos blocked (which I can watch absolutely perfectly fine on my computer) and the lack of flash makes this experience even more limited and really aids in me being more likely to finally abandon the stupid iPhone and this communism.

I'd say the reason you were being treated as a lunatic is not because you thought videos were being blocked but because you were ranting like a short-tempered child in serious need of some anger-management. Not to mention dribbling on about communists...

Anything restrictive - ANYTHING - in the online world of information in America will have a capitalist agenda behind it. Copyright, creative ownership, or just fleecing people for every penny possible. The internet is a pretty communist idea, in fact - in a good way though. Maybe you should Google the meaning of communism - and try not to get it mixed up with dictatorship.

And if you want to be taken seriously then try making a point without throwing a hissy fit.

antic

antic

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Don't know what all the fuss is about. Why don't you try the following link http://m.youtube.com

Gamers214000

Gamers214000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Still dont understand why they dont support flash

Nameci

Nameci

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
because flash is old technology... html5 is the dawn of the new era. :(

abidal99

abidal99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Still dont understand why they dont support flash

Thinking about this, the problem is different :(

socalprincess

socalprincess

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm pretty sure that in most cases it's the video uploader who is in control of "blocking" the video from being displayed on mobile devices, and many times they may not even know it. I know this only because a new video that I just uploaded was not playing on my iphone (same message you all are getting)... I went into the settings on the video, and right there, under the "Syndication" section, it was checked "No, this video should not be available on mobile phones and TV." I have no clue how this setting was selected, as for every other video that I've uploaded, the default was the opposite. Anyhow, I checked the box for "Yes, make this video available on mobile phones and TV. Note, the video may not be available on all devices due to copyright or licensing issues" and it was instantly available on my iphone.

Apparently, there are some studios that are intentionally blocking all of their content from being available on mobile devices due to copyright issues (why, I dunno), but I would guess most other videos are in the same boat mine was in - somehow, the syndication setting was erroneously set to "no."

momavujisic

momavujisic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Hackintosh & Battlefield
I got really sick of not being able to find quite a bit of videos on the iPhone's YouTube app, but thats one of the reasons I switched to a Desire HD :)

ontheset

ontheset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Dude, just install MiTube and your fine

99thebob

99thebob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
To put this to rest (at least for now):

Yes, there is specific blocking of music videos (and other copyrighted content) on the iPhone.
Yes, it is very annoying.

However, this is not being done by Apple on the device end.
It is being done by Youtube, most likely in agreement with the record companies.

How do I know?
I downloaded an extension for Firefox called User Agent Switcher, which lets you choose how your browser will be identified on various websites. So I set it to identify as an iPhone.
And guess what? Videos stopped working. Specifically, I got a screen that looked like this:
Attached File  Screen_shot_2011_06_11_at_12.42.17_AM.png   316.67KB   11 downloads

This means that it's not the iPhone itself (or Apple) blocking these videos. It's Youtube, restricting access when the request appears to come from an iPhone.

Also, MiTube has since been pulled from the App store. Are there any decent workarounds for those of us who have chosen not to jailbreak?
I know Vevo has since released a free iPhone app, which works well. However, there are some videos that Vevo doesn't have, such as the Rammstein video in my example. So I'm still left looking for a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy