Apple blocking certain youtube videos on iPhone

madwh

29 posts in this topic

This is very annoying, some music videos from youtube are blocked by apple. @#$% apple. Is there a workaround this?

For example I can't watch this on iPhone

Thats not Apple blocking anything, the videos just haven't been converted. Not all videos on YouTube will play on the iPhone/ iPod Touch, they have to be converted to MPEG first.

Googled it and got nothing. Give me the link because I really don't believe you.

what are you talking about? you are just a fanboy that doesn't know anything.

Apple is obviously using its communist ties to google to censor our right to freedom of information.

agreed, {censored} them.

That's not true. They're deliberately blocking some youtube music videos, google it, but I couldn't find a way to watch them anyway and it's making me really angry. F%CK YOU APPLE AND YOUR COMMUNISM!

what are you talking about? you are just a fanboy that doesn't know anything.

Apple is obviously using its communist ties to google to censor our right to freedom of information.

agreed, {censored} them.

If you guys needed a platform to make a political statement why didn't you just ASK!! :hysterical::hysterical::thumbsdown_anim::thumbsdown_anim:

(and it plays fine on my iPhone in Switzerland, but I only watched 2,3 seconds of it)

Google Kanye West - Flashing Lights try watching the first result on iPhone, it says Video Unavailable This video does not currently support iPhone. It has 10 million views and it' a popular song. Added: February 12, 2008 You can find many more like this. There is no flash on iphone so that they control what we watch on iphone and buy from itunes store. FU7K APPLE!!!!!!

edit: I can find a gazilion of youtube videos that work on iphone of the same songs but it's just audio, or very crappy video, while the original video which often has millions of views is always blocked. Please don't tell me they accidentally didn't convert the original ones.

Google Kanye West - Flashing Lights try watching the first result on iPhone, it says Video Unavailable This video does not currently support iPhone. It has 10 million views and it' a popular song. Added: February 12, 2008 You can find many more like this. There is no flash on iphone so that they control what we watch on iphone and buy from itunes store. FU7K APPLE!!!!!!

edit: I can find a gazilion of youtube videos that work on iphone of the same songs but it's just audio, or very crappy video, while the original video which often has millions of views is always blocked. Please don't tell me they accidentally didn't convert the original ones.

It's not only a matter of FLASH whoopee!!

Some videos are not released for some countries or not YET released!!

Google Kanye West - Flashing Lights comes up with "This video is not available in your country."

So you should get your facts right, according to their record company, due to the adult level or nature of the video/contents, the video will not be made available in all countries and NOT "some countries are communistic and will not show it"(my quote) and since when is Apple to blame for not showing YouTube videos!? :thumbsdown_anim:

SticMAC

Thats not Apple blocking anything, the videos just haven't been converted. Not all videos on YouTube will play on the iPhone/ iPod Touch, they have to be converted to MPEG first.

All videos on youtube are available in MPEG.

The youtube app for iPhone is {censored} anyway, it's has very poor navigation.

Um I agree with SticMAC.

But strange thing happened one video was unavailable for my country

but when opened it with iPhone 3G it opened just fine. :unsure: lol That's odd.

People cannot watch from iPhone, I cannot watch from macbook :)

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to say that I am seeing this problem as well.

The YouTube app on the iPhone does not display any results from universalmusicgroup or any of their artists' accounts. This means that artists like:

Rihanna

Lady Gaga

Lonely Island

are unavailable.

Obviously Universal has some kind of deal with YouTube to remove their videos from the iPhone app, but after searching Google, I have found no explanation.

Why they allow their videos to be viewed on a computer and not a phone is baffling to me.

Considering that a laptop can
  • - extract and save a video from the site

• - be hooked up to a projector to play the video in front of an audience...

I suppose this is just another case of executives (badly) attempting to control digital media content.

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to say that I am seeing this problem as well.

The YouTube app on the iPhone does not display any results from universalmusicgroup or any of their artists' accounts. This means that artists like:

Rihanna

Lady Gaga

Lonely Island

are unavailable.

Obviously Universal has some kind of deal with YouTube to remove their videos from the iPhone app, but after searching Google, I have found no explanation.

Why they allow their videos to be viewed on a computer and not a phone is baffling to me.

Considering that a laptop can
  • - extract and save a video from the site

• - be hooked up to a projector to play the video in front of an audience...

I suppose this is just another case of executives (badly) attempting to control digital media content.

I agree that there is blocking occurring, not just on iPhone but on Apple TV as well.

The YouTube app on ATV allows you to browse your YouTube favorites - but a number of music videos simply do not appear in the list.

It drove me a bit nuts at first, thinking it was a glitch.

It's ONLY with official music videos. They do not show from favorites, or via search.

FAIL.

It's more capitalistic than communistic -- obviously Apple is trying to force you to buy the videos through the iTunes Store.

• 9 months later...

I opened this topic quite a while ago and you were all treating me like a lunatic but I hope by now you all see how they block music videos. REALLY pisses me and it got worse. Are there any workarounds? So many music videos blocked (which I can watch absolutely perfectly fine on my computer) and the lack of flash makes this experience even more limited and really aids in me being more likely to finally abandon the stupid iPhone and this communism.

madwh

but it is not apple that is blocking them... it is youtube... you can be sure the traffick from apple tv/ipod touch/iphones are not going tru apples servers before going to youtube so they can deside what you can see and what not.. they would never want to pay for your youtube watching...

If anyone is doing anything it is youtube there can put a flag on a vid to keep it from playing in some parts of the world, and block it from some browsers. and that is all the youtube app is.. a browser in a simple look that reads the mpeg file direct... So google can just block the useragent from the youtube browser in the iphone on some vids...

Take a look at your old tread again.. the vid you did bring up people was able to play that on there iphones so there is NO block there was a country block on that one... and in some places proberly a useragen block preventing it from beeing played on mobile devices...

There is nothing new in google making the world a worse place... they are known for there different blocking...

• 1 month later...
...and really aids in me being more likely to finally abandon the stupid iPhone and this communism.

if it really was communism there would be no iTunes video store and there would be no other phone available other than iPhone. Oh, not forgetting comments on forums like this would be censored by the government and the posters would be imprisoned.

• 1 month later...
if it really was communism there would be no iTunes video store and there would be no other phone available other than iPhone. Oh, not forgetting comments on forums like this would be censored by the government and the posters would be imprisoned.

Exactly. You have no idea what communism is madwh. I agree with your stance that blocking these videos is wrong but it is capitalism (or rather corporatism) you have an issue with. If the RIAA and these other conglomerates weren't so greedy you would have true freedom of information. Just because you saw someone say communist on Fox News doesn't make everything you don't like communist.

It's not YouTube restricting the iPhone. I tried those videos on my droid and it had the same problem, and droid as you know is run on google, and google owns YouTube. My best guess is what appears to be a YouTube 3rd party "Vevo". Any Vevo video I tried wouldn't work on my droid. My only other guess is maybe it can't support HD videos? However, I would find it mildly humorous if YouTube started encoding video in flash again, just so Steve Jobs would regret his decision to make an enemy of Adobe. "Who's becoming obsolete now Steve Jobs?" Haha but kidding aside, I highly doubt YouTube, or Apple for that matter is restricting the iPhone, as the droid is having the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

the best thing to do i do this with jtv as well. make an account on the computer, favorite your videos you like or in jtv's case favorite your channels. this helps avoid having to use the search feature on the app. build a nice big playlist. i have full length alex jones dvd's from youtube i watch, as well as tons of jtv channels and all my videos play flawlessly

• 1 month later...
I opened this topic quite a while ago and you were all treating me like a lunatic but I hope by now you all see how they block music videos. REALLY pisses me and it got worse. Are there any workarounds? So many music videos blocked (which I can watch absolutely perfectly fine on my computer) and the lack of flash makes this experience even more limited and really aids in me being more likely to finally abandon the stupid iPhone and this communism.

I'd say the reason you were being treated as a lunatic is not because you thought videos were being blocked but because you were ranting like a short-tempered child in serious need of some anger-management. Not to mention dribbling on about communists...

Anything restrictive - ANYTHING - in the online world of information in America will have a capitalist agenda behind it. Copyright, creative ownership, or just fleecing people for every penny possible. The internet is a pretty communist idea, in fact - in a good way though. Maybe you should Google the meaning of communism - and try not to get it mixed up with dictatorship.

And if you want to be taken seriously then try making a point without throwing a hissy fit.