OS X 10.5.5 installed with SATA configured as RAID

tweak41

3 posts in this topic

Many, many people doubted me when I said I could install OS X on a hard disc while my BIOS had SATA configured as RAID (ICH9R chipset). It is possible to do this!

You can see my specs down in my signature for more info, but I'm running an ASUS P5K-E Wifi/AP. This is how I did it:

I realized this could be done by accident really. I had just picked up two Seagate 1TB SATA drives for a very good price and wanted to run them in a RAID0 array with Vista to improve performance and allow for HD video capturing with my new Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. At the time I hadn't realized that OS X and RAID weren't good friends. However, before wiping out my old hard drive that had dual booted Vista and OS X via a Kalyway install I booted into OS X to back everything up (with my BIOS configured as RAID). Since that magically worked, I knew there had to be a way to do a vanilla install and began experimenting with various Boot132 cds. Initially I followed the instructions on this thread: here. It was very helpful in giving me a place to start. The first hiccup was that I was unable to boot the install dvd with the provided ISO, so I went back to the Kalyway DVD with the hopes of finding something that might work. I realized that I needed two important files, AppleAHCIPort.kext and JMicronATA.kext, and that these weren't included in the ISO Jimmy had made. After creating my own Boot132 cd with these files it booted into the installer.

Installation went exactly as expected. I got to the end, and it told me installation had failed. I booted the system again with the Boot132 cd, typed in my hard drive number (82 in this case, because it is the third drive listed in BIOS), and voila! I booted into the OS X desktop. I then proceeded to fail about a dozen times while installing 10.5.6. I would boot into the desktop once, then all my hard drive icons would disappear. Then I would boot again and get the wonderful "Still waiting for root device" error. Today I gave up trying to install the 10.5.6 update and downloaded the 10.5.5 ComboUpdate instead. This time after installing, running UInstaller with the P5K-E Wifi/AP plugin that I downloaded through the program, and installing all the other necessities (PC_EFI Chameleon, EFI strings for gfx, etc), I rebooted into the desktop and there were all my hard drives just like before! I rebooted again and again to make sure that it wasn't a fluke. Sure enough my system worked beautifully. Then I tried to install 10.5.6 via the delta update. That was dumb because it failed once again, even after backing up all my kexts and restoring them.

So, there you have it, I'm typing once again from my 10.5.5 install and it'll have to stay that way until the necessary kexts are updated to work with 10.5.6.

For now here's screen shot proof that it works:

picture2sw4.png

And video proof is here:

I'm currently waiting for youtube to process my video, so once that's done I'll remove the rapidshare link and replace it with the youtube one (provided the quality is good enough).

So for all of you nice guys in #osx86 that told me I was stupid and dropped on my head as a child, there you go. Evidence that it is possible and works.

Many, many people doubted me when I said I could install OS X on a hard disc while my BIOS had SATA configured as RAID (ICH9R chipset). It is possible to do this!

You can see my specs down in my signature for more info, but I'm running an ASUS P5K-E Wifi/AP. This is how I did it:

I realized this could be done by accident really. I had just picked up two Seagate 1TB SATA drives for a very good price and wanted to run them in a RAID0 array with Vista to improve performance and allow for HD video capturing with my new Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. At the time I hadn't realized that OS X and RAID weren't good friends. However, before wiping out my old hard drive that had dual booted Vista and OS X via a Kalyway install I booted into OS X to back everything up (with my BIOS configured as RAID). Since that magically worked, I knew there had to be a way to do a vanilla install and began experimenting with various Boot132 cds. Initially I followed the instructions on this thread: here. It was very helpful in giving me a place to start. The first hiccup was that I was unable to boot the install dvd with the provided ISO, so I went back to the Kalyway DVD with the hopes of finding something that might work. I realized that I needed two important files, AppleAHCIPort.kext and JMicronATA.kext, and that these weren't included in the ISO Jimmy had made. After creating my own Boot132 cd with these files it booted into the installer.

Installation went exactly as expected. I got to the end, and it told me installation had failed. I booted the system again with the Boot132 cd, typed in my hard drive number (82 in this case, because it is the third drive listed in BIOS), and voila! I booted into the OS X desktop. I then proceeded to fail about a dozen times while installing 10.5.6. I would boot into the desktop once, then all my hard drive icons would disappear. Then I would boot again and get the wonderful "Still waiting for root device" error. Today I gave up trying to install the 10.5.6 update and downloaded the 10.5.5 ComboUpdate instead. This time after installing, running UInstaller with the P5K-E Wifi/AP plugin that I downloaded through the program, and installing all the other necessities (PC_EFI Chameleon, EFI strings for gfx, etc), I rebooted into the desktop and there were all my hard drives just like before! I rebooted again and again to make sure that it wasn't a fluke. Sure enough my system worked beautifully. Then I tried to install 10.5.6 via the delta update. That was dumb because it failed once again, even after backing up all my kexts and restoring them.

So, there you have it, I'm typing once again from my 10.5.5 install and it'll have to stay that way until the necessary kexts are updated to work with 10.5.6.

For now here's screen shot proof that it works:

picture2sw4.png

And video proof is here:

I'm currently waiting for youtube to process my video, so once that's done I'll remove the rapidshare link and replace it with the youtube one (provided the quality is good enough).

So for all of you nice guys in #osx86 that told me I was stupid and dropped on my head as a child, there you go. Evidence that it is possible and works.