Success - HP 8710w - One last issue

nuro

57 posts in this topic

Me almost lucky to run the Leopard system on my HP 8710p (103 EA)

but I`ve big problem, when registering - the system itself enters a password and login without me. I realized the recommended handling the registration, this is somewhat helped, but the system still introduces random password and username - again and again without me =)

img1973e.th.jpg

recommended handling the registration :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=627626

I have a problem, I installed iDeneb Leopard 10.5.4. the HP 550 laptop, the installation completed perfectly, lift the system without any problems but at the beginning when you need to set, country, region, keyboard and the file transfer everything goes great, but always returns to the beginning again to choose a country, region ... Is someone had the same problem and if you let me know how to help resolve this problem.

"but always returns to the beginning again to choose a country, region ..." то о чём я говорил

1. Press F8 when you see the Darwin boot screen.

2. As a boot option you write (to get in single user mode):

CODE

-s

3. When your computer is done loading and you are at the root, you enter this:

CODE

/sbin/fsck -fy

4. You should get the message "Rows system was modified." (I personaly didn't get this message, just a message that my Leopard partition was fine)

5. Now we mount the partition, otherwise we can't make modifications in the rows system. So you enter (MIND THE SPACE BETWEEN uw AND /!!!):

CODE

/sbin/mount -uw /

6. Now choose a password for your root account. So you type:

CODE

passwd root

7. Now you have to enter your password, 2 times. You don't see anything happen when you enter your password, but it'll work.

8.Now we are going to tell Mac OSX that the configuration is completed. So you enter (where NAME! is the name of the partition you installed OS X86 on, if you don't remember, you can press TAB to see the possible options (This didn't really work for me, I named my partition Leopard, but I didn't see Leopard when I pressed TAB, just a looooong list of words):

CODE

touch /Volumes/NAME!/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

9. And that was everything. Lets see if it works, enter:

CODE

reboot

10. Login with the name "root" and your choosen password (case sensitive).

Help me pls - I can`t to enter at my almost working system

successfully updated to 10.6.4, works with vanilla kernel

legacy kernel from qoopz/nawcom not needed now

don't forget delete SleepEnabler before update

Hi Ludens,

have you ever tried to work with VMware-Fusion 3.1x and 10.6.3?

My System can´t open a VM. The Sytem get a debug message and halted.

I followed exactly your install instruction.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

in 10.6.3 without legacy kernel (qoopz) and without SleepEnabler Mac OX shows the FSB frequency with a wrong value.

The right value is 800MHz.

when i try to update to 10.6.4, after 75% the System crashes with a black screen.

My theorie is, that this crashes based on the wrong FSB parameter.

How can i correct this value?

Thank's, Lametta 17

apxitektop, you have solution:

boot with -s

mount -uw /
passwd root
touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
ls -l /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
reboot

what command is unclear?

Lametta17,

boot with fsb=200 or put the fsb in your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>fsb=200</string>

fsb is a frequency

your fsb_speed is 800MHz

fsb = fsb_speed / 4 = 200

had not tried vmware

I`ve also success with my hp 8710p (103 EA) Im installed leopard 10.5.8, but I wanna in future to use retail of MAC os,

for this I need some help with my DSDT configuration, cose I can`t сompilation DSDT.aml, can someone have coped with this difficult but very necessary for me things?

someone had success with the installation - iAtkos S3 10.6.3 ver.2 ???

DSDT.rar

guys, someone tested this - iAtkos S3 10.6.3 ver.2

I`ve HP Compaq 8710p (GC103EA#ACB)

CPU Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7500, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq 8710p (GC103EA#ACB)

Intel Crestline-PM PM965

4032 Мб (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 320M (256 Мб)

Analog Devices AD1981HD @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller

And I use this options, from this topic, but its no help me, my mac OS isnt starting after installing leopard :

for iAtkos S3 10.6.3 ver.2 and recommending you

iATKOS v7 10.5.7 DVD

Leave the installation with all the default options, with the addition of the following options:

Kernel - Voodoo 9.7.0

X86 Patches - OHR

Drivers - VGA - nVidia - Enablers - NVEnabler (ONLY!)

System - SATA/IDE - AHCI

System - SATA/IDE - Generic IDE

System - SATA/IDE - Intel SATA/IDE

System - Intel SpeedStep (All options)

System - USB

Sound - Voodoo HDA

System - Laptop Battery

PS/2 Mouse / Keyboard - Apple PS/2

Network - Wired - Intel - Intel Gigabit

Network - Wireless - Broadcom BCM43xx (For Bluetooth)

pls,help me to choose the right option for my laptop

use a 32bit RTC - so you don't get kernel panics

AsereBLN is based on Chameleon, with some fixes.

Modified kernel and other options were not required for my retail Snow Leo.

In any case try to install.

First goal is to boot OS successfully.

Then look what hardware components are detected and working.

You wrote :

Download Empire EFI 1.085

Burn iso (non-legacy) to CD with lowest speed and boot from it.

Select disk(partition) "Mac OS X Install DVD"

I'm downloaded - Intel ONLY (Empire EFI V1.085) – Generic (Includes both legacy version and normal version)

In new version from July 4th, 2010 - of empire EFI 1.085 - we have 2 files with name :

BootCD.iso

and

LegacyBootCD.iso

You wrote that we must use - "non-legacy" . Do you mean, that need to use - BootCD.iso ?

and

You wrote :

Download OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato.zip

CODE

sudo -s

cd Downloads

unzip OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato.zip

cp OSInstall /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

cp OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

Erase Windows partition with Disk Utility, filesystem HFS+, label it "Snow Leopard"

==============================================================

message from my Terminal window - after :

Last login: Sat Jul 3 10:14:35 on console

kolans-macbook-pro:~ kolan$ sudo -s

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

bash-3.2# cd Downloads

bash-3.2# unzip OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato.zip

Archive: OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato.zip

creating: OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato/

inflating: OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato/OSInstall.mpkg

inflating: OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato/OSInstall

inflating: OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato/Readme.txt

bash-3.2# cp OSInstall /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

cp: OSInstall: No such file or directory

bash-3.2# cp OSInstall /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fi | -n] [-pvX] source_file target_file

cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fi | -n] [-pvX] source_file ...

==============================================

but after this, when Im try to install from putched - "Mac OS X 10.6.3 Retail DVD" - Disk Utility - cant install to any disc ....

Im also successfully changed the files - and since it is written in Manual for OSInstall_1063:

Like in the previous 10.6 version, you have to replace 2 files in the original dvd content:

-OSInstall goes into /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

-OSInstall.mpkg goes into /System/Installation/Packages

my directory :

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

and

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages

BUT IT'S NO HELP TO ME....

post-632899-1278497091_thumb.jpg

I have used "empireEFI_V1085_for intel core processors.zip" -> "legacyempire_efi1085.iso"

Your output shows that file OSInstall not found:

bash-3.2# cp OSInstall  /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/
cp: OSInstall: No such file or directory

try next:

sudo -s
 cd Downloads
 unzip  OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato.zip
 cd OSInstall_1063_10D575_deviato
 cp OSInstall	  /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/
 cp OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

to verify successful replacement, check file datetime

ls -l /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall

original 11 Feb 2010 15:57

hacked 6 May 18:14

ls -l /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

original 1 Apr 13:13

hacked 6 May 18:19

2 weeks first time. Second time it has taken several hours.

I never have seen real Macbook, so can't compare :(

All features that I need are working.

I have played

- Portal - 80fps

- HL2 - 110fps

- CSS - 60 fps (have tested just today)

boot with -v and show error messages

Hi again!

Thanks a lot! I finally bought an 8530 and I just copied the partition I installed in the 8710 and it is working fine with Leopard. I have been testing the graphics performance and it is noticeably lower than Windows (like 40%) and it is very low with shaders with a lot of lights (I still don't know why)

The WIFI does still not work but I found an extremely small USB adapter which works great, I simply used the driver in the box:

http://www.sitecom.com/Wireless-USB-Nano-A...X1/WL-353/p/755

And you were right, it took me 2 weeks :D

I only have two annoying issues

1) It does not sleep. When I press the sleep the screen switches of but the computer continues working and I cannot wake it up until I completely switch of the computer.

2) There must be something strange in the power settings because when I'm working for say 30 minutes, the computer starts getting very hot and the fan starts running at full speed, just using safari and the text edit.

Regards!

I can not understand - why is not active in my 64 bit version, I think that everything is done right, u can see screen

you have Mac OS X 10.6.4 with old kernel Darwin 10.3.0

kernel should be Darwin 10.4.0

64-bit works only with vanilla kernel

actual com.apple.Boot.plist is in the /Extra folder, show contents here

casty,

I can only see graphics performance in counter-strike source :D

in windows 150fps with high settings

in mac - 60 fps with low settings

nvidia released new drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-macos...f03-driver.html

can be installed using pacifist

you can try them, but for me they didn't give performance boost...

so my Mac isn't for gaming :(

sleep doesn't work for me too

for cpu overheating issue - it seems that IntelSpeedStep or VoodooPower kexts are not loaded

Help, I cant to use 64 - bit

I have now :

1) Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0

2) Edited file - /Extra/ - com.apple.Boot.plist

3) Edited file - /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration - com.apple.Boot.plist

1)

/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

2)

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

</dict>

</plist>

3)

Message from my terminal window

that Im steel use 32 bit =(((((

Last login: Sat Jul 10 19:53:33 on console

MacBook-Pro-kolan:~ kolan$ uname -a

Darwin MacBook-Pro-kolan.local 10.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Thu Jun 17 18:42:31 EDT 2010; annappirtrvh v4 :xnu-1504.7.4/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

MacBook-Pro-kolan:~ kolan$

change /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist is not used at all

• 3 months later...

Ludens,

Thank you very much sharing your installation experiences to us on the forum.

I have a few questions about it:

1 Do you have already a recompiled DSDT for the 8710W ?

2 The Santa Rosa chips used in the 8710W can do Dynamic Acceleration. Which means that one core can reach 2,6GHZ by down clocking the other core. I think this is causing the wrong FSB detection by the bootloader. FSB 200 / Busratio = 12 doesn't help. I still got 2,46Ghz with FSB 184Mhz busspeed.

3 Because of problem described at 2 i think voodoomini and voodoobattery are not working probably KP's!. I think that everything can be corrected by a correct DSDT. Without the voodoo power / battery drivers system is rock steady.

P.S. The supplied gigabit driver you talking about isn't supporting promiscuous mode which causes VMware and Parallels to fail operating in bridging mode. I have a replaced kext for that. Its the AppleIntelE1000 kext.

Also for the Wifi. I just bought from eBay: 441075-002 HP 6715b Broadcom WLAN card. Just costed me 10 euros incl. shipping and its official in the whitelist of the laptop. Hope it will work when I replace the intel with this card.

1) No. It was too complex for me. If you have some ideas, we may try them together.

2) no ideas, may be change bootloader? What kernel have you tested - vanilla or legacy?

3)

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1235.0.html

kernel panic is caused by conflict between AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and VoodooBattery.kext

when I boot 32-bit, I use VoodooPS2Controller 0.98 32-bit from http://forum.voodooprojects.org

all is ok with battery

when I switch to 64-bit, I use VoodooPS2Controller 0.98 32/64-bit from:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372

it forces to use AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and gives kernel panic when battery is low

I just don't work on battery =)

If you need work on battery, switch to 32-bit mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replying Ludens, (sorry that I didn't reply earlier)

I'm to noob for DSDT editing, already looked into it but the HP DSDT extraction results in a DSDT file which is full of kind of Aliases. Eg They call it all the time "Device C389" etc.

I already managed to get all things detected right like CPU / FSB / Memory with the Chameleon 2.RC5 R141 / and AnVal Bootloader.

The problem is that a FSB of 200Mhz exact I get horrible sound from the VoodooHDA 2.7.2 kext. Also SMBIOS.plist has an affect on system performance. Im running now with MacBookPro5,3 setting and this results in better 2D performance of the nVidia Quadro FX1600. It stays at 325Mhz GPU core instead falling to 183Mhz which looks really lagged.

Also taking out the AC adapter makes the problem worse when you use voodoo battery according sound by the VoodooHDA together VoodooBattery (Gives sometimes panics anyway)

So I really like to accomplish that somebody will correct the DSDT file for the 8710W. I think its the same of the 8510W and I already found one on the net but this one was barely edited. (Only some fan adjustments).

DSDT is the key to get everything working as it should be.

I think we can achieve correct powermanagement / Acpi (Cpu Speedstep and native battery support),

Maybe force the Video card to higher standard clockrates (i dont know if thats managed by the DSDT as well),

Native AppleHDA support (to get rid of VoodooHDA),

I like to pay 35 euros for a full corrected DSDT file donated by paypal if somebody can correct above 3 things. Maybe you can offer an amount as well so somebody can recompile our DSDT file as it should be.

What CPU do you have now ?

(The AnVAL bootloader has an option Force FSB=MHz, I tried 233MHz FSB and the laptop is still stable. Got an Geekbench of 5500 already out of it. Horrible sound then :-))