Ext Hard Drive Partitioning 101?

manicirishwriter

1 post in this topic

(I had a split-second power outage as I posted--I don't see that this made it? Sorry if duplicate)

Hello All--

After a couple of years of lurking around, searching for myself, I finally come out and ask for some help. I also relate to the "Insanely" quite well, per my own "manic." My questions are intertwined-- I'm unsure how to break up into what. I am lost; forgive me my ignorance!

The Scenario:

1. A new 400GB Passport. Also an existing 350GB--relatively new, getting a little glitchy. Only has copies of pix/video data on it. I do want to back up the 40gb of video, dueo to said glitchiness.

2. One MacMini, one Macbook Pro.

3. Would like to backup (create?) bootable volumes for both macs.

4. Would like to backup all data for both macs.

5. Would like to Sync both macs

6. Have Intego Personal Backup X4. Has settings for all of that--Clone, Copy, Sync, etc.

Questions:

Note: I'm unsure if I should install Leopard first, as I do want to backup data, or backup data first on safe 400gb drive? But then cannot create volume, per below? sigh

1. Do I erase new 400 GB hard drive? I have this done per Intego manual, but now what about existing basic files that came with drive? Thought of this right when I hit "Erase." Will it still work? I wonder if other Passport files will do it...

2. I was going to partition as GUID, but have no idea what size for a volume. I have googled extensively, and nobody that I can find discusses this. How pick a size? I have never done this before, and certainly do not want to screw up a potentially critical bootable volume.

3. Since it is recommended that you erase all data first, does that mean only one volume per ext drive? After volume is copied, how just backup data if I have to erase disk?

Last, a few sources from google search said to install Mac OS X on drives first. Is this true? On it's own partition of unknown size?

I have more questions, lighter ones, I think, but I'd better get out of here before folks get too overwhelmed. I know I am, and I wrote the damn things...

Many thanks in advance,

Frank

---------------------

"I wonder what chairs would look like if people's knees bent the other way?"

Steven Wright