I've got to get this settled!

5 posts in this topic

The #1 (and only) reason I want Mac OS X on my PC is the iPhone SDK. I'm really interested in developing for it, but don't have the cash to shell out for a new mac :whistle:

I was hoping to get this question answered definitively (since different forums say different things):

Is there a version of MAC OS X for PC that can run the iPhone SDK? If so, which one?

I was thinking of leo4all. Is there a v4.0 for it, or is v3 the latest?

Thanks!!

P.S. My laptop specs:

Dell Studio 15

320 GB HDD

4GB Ram

T8100 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.1gHz

Intel GMA X3100 graphics

Could anyone help me?

I have installed OSX for much the same reason as you. My challenge is now going to be getting the SDK installed and working with the AMD processor. The OS is running great and and all hardware is working. Just have yet to do the SDK install.

From all I can read, as long as you have 10.5.5, you can successfully install the SDK and use it with your intel processor. I cannot make a solid suggestion on which distro to recommend since I was doing an AMD install but I did find the new iDeneb v1.4 to be very good and it has a very large selection of kexts that can be chosen depending on your hardware. It also comes with the Vanilla 9.6.0 kernel as well as the Voodoo 9.5.0 (great for AMDs). Nice thing about it is that you get the latest version of OSX (10.5.6) and don't have to mess around doing upgrades. I have also had success with Kalyway 10.5.2 but again, you need to upgrade the OS to 10.5.5 for the SDK to work. And doing these upgrades was giving me issues, so I went after the new iDeneb.

Hope this helps, sorry I can't offer more.

I have installed OSX for much the same reason as you. My challenge is now going to be getting the SDK installed and working with the AMD processor. The OS is running great and and all hardware is working. Just have yet to do the SDK install.

From all I can read, as long as you have 10.5.5, you can successfully install the SDK and use it with your intel processor. I cannot make a solid suggestion on which distro to recommend since I was doing an AMD install but I did find the new iDeneb v1.4 to be very good and it has a very large selection of kexts that can be chosen depending on your hardware. It also comes with the Vanilla 9.6.0 kernel as well as the Voodoo 9.5.0 (great for AMDs). Nice thing about it is that you get the latest version of OSX (10.5.6) and don't have to mess around doing upgrades. I have also had success with Kalyway 10.5.2 but again, you need to upgrade the OS to 10.5.5 for the SDK to work. And doing these upgrades was giving me issues, so I went after the new iDeneb.

Hope this helps, sorry I can't offer more.

I was under the impression that you only needed OS X 10.5.3 for the Sdk to work?

Thank you for your input!

I was under the impression that you only needed OS X 10.5.3 for the Sdk to work?

Thank you for your input!

To update this again, I now have the SDK working on my AMD system. My order of events for "installation" were as follows:

- I downloaded the newest Xcode (I think 3.1. Original, unmodified from Apple)

- I downloaded the newest SDK for firmware 2.2.1 (Original, unmodified from Apple)

- Installed Xcode first

- DID NOT restart, installation finished successfully

- Installed the SDK, installation finished successfully

- Restarted the computer, KP instantly when OS loaded. (I could not even boot to safe mode "-x" or single user mode "-s")

- Booted into windows xp, installed MacDrive, went OSX drive to /System/Library/Extensions/ and deleted the 3 kext "folders" (that is how they appear in windows) pertaining to CHUD

*I am sure there is probably a better way to remove these files but since I could not get to single user mode or figure out how to do it from the CD, this was my next option.

- Tried to boot back to OSX, still instant kernel panic (with either -s or -x , also tried -f)

- Put iDeneb v1.4 DVD back in, essentially reinstalled OS X again, on top of itself on the same drive with the same options and patches from the "Customize" menu.

- After reboot, OSX system loaded perfectly, user settings and even backdrops were all the same.

- Only change was my local user was now a "basic" user instead of "administrator" so I had to create a new admin account to give my original user admin privilages. (if instructions are needed for this step, I can post them)

- Tried SDK, launched perfectly so far no crashes. (have NOT spent much time using it yet)

- Tried iPhone simulator, launched perfectly. So far no crashes. (again, have NOT spent much time using this either yet)

Only issue I am dealing with now is that everytime I try to mount a MacFuse dmg (want to be able to write to the NTFS partitions on my other HDDs), I end up with a Kernel panic error. I do have the seatbelt installed for the Voodoo kernel but haven't had much time to play with this issue yet. Other *.dmg files seem to mount okay.

Hopefully these steps can help someone else out who is looking to setup and run the SDK on an AMD system.