Ducky_10.5.4 (AMD SB700/SB600) Phenom & Athlon X2

linuxgx

26 posts in this topic

MacOSX86 10.5.4 Created by Apple - Modified by Ducky

Ducky-Macosx86-10.5.4 build v.1.1x - Supports all Phenom, and Athlon X2 CPUs

NOTE: (If you own a SB700 Chipset This Build Will See Your Hard Drives,)

IMPORTANT: ATA CDRom will not always work "Only use SATA DVD Drive, or External Drives"

Also you need to setup SATA as AHCI in bios!!!

Features:

- Chameleon bootloader for Phenom, Athlon X2 Support.

- Modbin 9.4.0 Kernel - (SSE3 Only)

- Multiple File System Drivers (Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows)

- Support included for ATI / Nvidia Video Cards (includes HD-3650, 8800gt/gts/gs/Ultra, Several others)

- SB600, SB700(Default, no package needed)

- This should work on all AMD SSE3 systems Phenom, Athlon X2 etc

Chameleon and Vanilla Kernel are automatically loaded because it makes things easier and allows me to receive several fewer complaints as a result. So its easier for you and me.

Just so you know, I am not responsible for any damages to your system, any risks on installation are taken by the end user and you are responsible for installing it.

If duel booting try and use a separate hard drive for use under windows, It just makes life so much easier.

Thanks to Lawless for his base build and a number of wonderful packages

I might have saw it posted at MiniNova

Well,

I must say I'm glad to see more and more AMD based builds released among the community each day, even if I haven't had the chance to give it a try yet.

But as long as you keep it working over a reasonable amount of Ati-AMD chipsets and have the correct package held together on a simplified setup, there aint no reason for it to not have a reputable measure from the users, because us AMD users(especially new chipsets) face such difficulties as kernel panics and storage drivers barely on most of the 10.5.6 builds released these days.

Still I gotta mention that I yet want to use a positive or negative definition about it before I give it a go.

Thanks as a last words to everyone contributed in it..

PS: As for the tip, your source needs more support :whistle:

Are you kidding me?

"IDE CDROM will not always work?"

In all the times I've used a distro, not once has a DVD ever NOT WORKED in my IDE DVD drive. If this is the case, then you are making a poor distro.

Modbin's kernel is not Vanilla. Vanilla means STOCK retail Apple kernel, unmodified. Please make sure to use the terminology correctly, you will confuse a lot of people (noobs especially) with improper use of terms.

Also, where's a package list? And thanks for endangering the site by telling where to get it illegally.

Just my two cents.

Well, I tried several distros on my AMD machine and none of them I got to boot with a IDE cd rom (only sata worked).

What I am not getting at the moment: Is there a need for another distro?

Leo4All and iPC work great with AMD. If the SB600/700 kexts work better than in the mentioned distros, why not

just release them as a single package. Install from a up to date distro and put in the kext later if needed.

Everything else I think is a waste of bandwith.

If your using SB700 you cant see your SATA Drives in Disk Utilities when installing Leo4All, It makes installing very difficult to install unless you know how to load a Kext in the Installer and even then your stuck with a Kernel Panic on restart. This Distro Patches it so that your drives are seen and then the kext is copied over so that your Pc boots on the first try.

As for the IDE CdRom, Your mistaken the IDE doesn't function as a result of a poorly documented chipset (South Bridge 700) which lacks an even decent linux drivers so unless you, are capable of creating a better chipset kext then I have to say find something better to do then heckling developers. I spent three days creating a distro that will allow you to natively install OSX86 on the SB700 chipset. Using an external DVD Drive, or SATA Device is hardly comparison to what it took me to get this installed without a distro which was originally created for personal use. So please be grateful for Ducky's decision to share it.

If your using SB700 you cant see your SATA Drives in Disk Utilities when installing Leo4All, It makes installing very difficult to install unless you know how to load a Kext in the Installer and even then your stuck with a Kernel Panic on restart. This Distro Patches it so that your drives are seen and then the kext is copied over so that your Pc boots on the first try.

As for the IDE CdRom, Your mistaken the IDE doesn't function as a result of a poorly documented chipset (South Bridge 700) which lacks an even decent linux drivers so unless you, are capable of creating a better chipset kext then I have to say find something better to do then heckling developers. I spent three days creating a distro that will allow you to natively install OSX86 on the SB700 chipset. Using an external DVD Drive, or SATA Device is hardly comparison to what it took me to get this installed without a distro which was originally created for personal use. So please be grateful for Ducky's decision to share it.

Where did you find the driver? I bet you it's the same SBx00 driver we have. I've ALWAYS known the SBx00 series to be really low quality to begin with. The problem I had was how you laid it out in the description. You need to be REALLY detailed for noobs sake, you can't just say "IDE drive may not show properly" and leave it at that, this was my criticism. Even I was confused, until I read it was for SB600/700.

It's fine that Ducky released something, but it's based on Lawless' distro anyway, so it's not really his own, but that's just semantics. Plus, we don't need anymore. We're probably not going to make any more iPC distro's aside from LiveDVD's as the process to work that improves. Other than that, we've got better ideas we're working on.

Grats on releasing, though.

Are you kidding me?

"IDE CDROM will not always work?"

In all the times I've used a distro, not once has a DVD ever NOT WORKED in my IDE DVD drive. If this is the case, then you are making a poor distro.

.....snip.....

Also, where's a package list? And thanks for endangering the site by telling where to get it illegally.

Just my two cents.

Well, to be honest, my IDE DVD-RW drive didn't get detected by iPC 10.5.6 either (I've mentioned this in the iPC thread). Actually it was a choice between my HDs or my DVD drive. Kinda hard to choose between "Still waiting for root device" or boot without any HDs detected... Until I added ATI IXP drivers to the DVD (removed ATI Device IDs from the combo AppleVIAATA and added AppleATIATA).

Sounds like the same problem with Ducky's release here, which is incomplete Device IDs in the driver's plist. I do have to mention that's LawlessPPC's release does work with an SB600. IDE & SATA got both detected, altough IDE performance is far from what you would call great. It lags ocassionally. If I may suggest, use the ATI IXP drivers I mentioned above. It's working perfectly on my SB600, and it's also supposed to support SB700.

And yes, a more detailed explanation of everything would really help others that are interested in this release.

Cheers.

Well, to be honest, my IDE DVD-RW drive didn't get detected by iPC 10.5.6 either (I've mentioned this in the iPC thread). Actually it was a choice between my HDs or my DVD drive. Kinda hard to choose between "Still waiting for root device" or boot without any HDs detected... Until I added ATI IXP drivers to the DVD (removed ATI Device IDs from the combo AppleVIAATA and added AppleATIATA).

Sounds like the same problem with Ducky's release here, which is incomplete Device IDs in the driver's plist. I do have to mention that's LawlessPPC's release does work with an SB600. IDE & SATA got both detected, altough IDE performance is far from what you would call great. It lags ocassionally. If I may suggest, use the ATI IXP drivers I mentioned above. It's working perfectly on my SB600, and it's also supposed to support SB700.

And yes, a more detailed explanation of everything would really help others that are interested in this release.

Cheers.

I don't have that problem, but I have a VIA chipset. This is the first time I've really heard of this issue too, even with the response to iPC I hadn't heard this. Pardon my shock.

I don't have that problem, but I have a VIA chipset. This is the first time I've really heard of this issue too, even with the response to iPC I hadn't heard this. Pardon my shock.

Can't blame you for missing it. I reckon I'd grow tired of reading 70+ pages of responses. ;)

But as I've mentioned before (in this and iPC 10.5.6's thread), it's fixed by adding Chun-nan/Eureka's ATI IXP drivers, so no big deal for me. :wacko:

MacOSX86 10.5.4 Created by Apple - Modified by Ducky

Ducky-Macosx86-10.5.4 build v.1.1x - Supports all Phenom, and Athlon X2 CPUs

NOTE: (If you own a SB700 Chipset This Build Will See Your Hard Drives,)

IMPORTANT: ATA CDRom will not always work "Only use SATA DVD Drive, or External Drives"

Also you need to setup SATA as AHCI in bios!!!

Features:

- Chameleon bootloader for Phenom, Athlon X2 Support.

- Modbin 9.4.0 Kernel - (SSE3 Only)

- Multiple File System Drivers (Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows)

- Support included for ATI / Nvidia Video Cards (includes HD-3650, 8800gt/gts/gs/Ultra, Several others)

- SB600, SB700(Default, no package needed)

Are you trying to use SB600 with AppleAHCIport? If thats so I should warn you that SB600 controller has a hardware error that can cause data corruption when used in AHCI mode. Linux driver needs a workaround to avoid that, if Apple hasnt implemented this workaround on their driver (chances are they didnt) using that driver could be dangerous.

On the other hand SB700 seems to work fine in AHCI mode from what I've read. You should need no special driver or distribution to boot from that controller, any 10.5.6 distro with vanilla AppleAHCIport should boot without troubles.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you trying to use SB600 with AppleAHCIport? If thats so I should warn you that SB600 controller has a hardware error that can cause data corruption when used in AHCI mode. Linux driver needs a workaround to avoid that, if Apple hasnt implemented this workaround on their driver (chances are they didnt) using that driver could be dangerous.

On the other hand SB700 seems to work fine in AHCI mode from what I've read. You should need no special driver or distribution to boot from that controller, any 10.5.6 distro with vanilla AppleAHCIport should boot without troubles.

Darn. I was all excited. I have an athlon x2 with sb700 and I keep getting a panic cpu error when I try to install. Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

Attempting to boot from this disc, but I'm getting the "Still waiting for root device" error. Not sure if this is a chipset issue or what.

Rig:

Biostar A770 A2+ (AMD 770 / SB600)

AMD X2 4200+

2gb RAM

SATA LG DVD Drive

SATA Seagate 80gb HDD (tried ISE as well with same issue)

Nvidia 7900gs

My board is supposed to support AHCI, but it doesn't. I've tried setting up the SATA as Native IDE, Legacy IDE, and even RAID. I even tried switching to an IDE drive!

These are what choices I should have according to the manual:

Native IDE (default), RAID, AHCI, Legacy IDE, IDE->AHCI.

I always boot with -v. I've tried using the cpus=1 and even -legacy. All are no help. I have also tried iPC 10.5.5, iATKOS 5i, and even Kaylway 10.5.2. Same issue with all of them.

Most of my searched yield results with users seeing the 'still waiting for root device' AFTER the install, but mine is BEFORE.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

DVD boots up....doesnt have any of my drivers though...

ECS 780GM-A

Phenom x4 9600

4gb Gskill RAM 1066Mhz

IDT onboard HD audio

SB700

i can install it...but when i try to boot the installed system it say Mac os version not set, and hangs...any insight?

i downloaded the dvd but i'm having a hard time burning it. i've never seen a .cdr image before and converting it has only left me with 2 wasted dvds. can someone please tell me how to properly burn it?

wow i'm surprised it was as easy as changing the extension. although the installer keeps freezing after i choose the language. by the time it gets to the welcome screen in the installer its already frozen...

ok scratch that my mouse just wasn't working properly. after setting the SATA mode to AHCI, the installer recognized my hard drive, but since windows no longer works in AHCI mode, i'll have to do a complete reinstall of everything. i'll post back after that's done.

ok so the Ducky install went just fine and it even booted! i was very impressed except that my mouse and keyboard didn't work when connected through the hub in my monitor. but it did install just fine and worked, but since i installed over my windows install, i wasn't able to get any kexts for the non-working devices since network was one of those. so now i'm going to have to reinstall everything to make it all work. but wow i'm so happy that it even booted! this is the first osx86 install that booted since i tried JaS 10.4.8 on my old dell dimension!

also, it's worth noting that i got it to boot using one of the new AM3 phenom II x3 710 cpu's.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am really keen to try this out is there anywhere I can get it other than torrent? as there are no seeders there.

yes please!...can someone upload it on rapidshare or something like this?....please :/.....

(sorry for my english)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
<br />All the places are dead to get this, has anyone else seen this anywhere?<br /><br />Thanks<br />
sorry to hear...any t O R r e NT s files out there ? if so pls send it and I will try to dl it and then seed till all have it...

edit:

well found some torrents BUT no seeders active...sorry!

Is there another AMD SB 700 / Phenom X4 compatible OSX out there ?