I was frustrated at first when I tried to install drivers for my GeCube X1650 Pro 512 MB PCIe (71c6). I tried every method I could find in this forum and still it didn't work out perfectly. So I tried mix matching different methods and my nightmares went away. I'm calling every X1650 users to come here and tell us your success story to help others cause I can see that different people have different success story with this particular graphic card.
The spec for the rig I used are:
ASUS P5LD2-X / GBL Motherboard Intel Core2Duo 2.4 GHz Vanilla 9.6.0 Kernel 2 GB single slot DDR2 Kingston memory GeCube X1650 Pro 512 MB PCIe (71c6) -> Using DVI2VGA Adapter PS2 Keyboard & Mouse ASUS DVD-RW drive 160 GB Hitachi SATA Drive (Vista & XP) 40 GB Seagate Baracude 7200 rpm IDE (Leo 10.5.6)
I'll go first:
0. Used a DVI2VGA adapter for my card.
1. Clean install of Kalyway 10.5.2. DO NOT INSTALL ATI video drivers.
2. Installed Leopard Graphics Update by manually downloading from Apple's website.
3. Upgraded to 10.5.6 by using Netkas' howto. Don't worry, even though it's titled for 10.5.3, it'll work just fine.
4. Removed all ATi kexts except ATINDRV.kext, ATIRadeonX1000.kext, ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle, ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle and ATIRNDRV.kext.
5. Installed this kext pack (only for 71c6 and 10.5.6 Leo).
The following 3 steps are edited excerpts from kozlowski's original post on another thread.
6. Copied files "ATIRadeonX1000.kext","ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin","ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle" from /System/Library/Extensions to my desktop.
7. Showed contents of "ATIRadeonX1000.kext", went into /Contents/ and edit the file Info.plist. The line under IOPCIMatch have lots of other device ids. Removed the other device ids and inserted my own 0x71c61002.
8. Showed contents of "ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin", edited "Info.plist" with TextEdit, edited 2 strings in the following format: 100271C0-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e and replaced the 71c0 with 71c6 on both. Save the file.
9. Used Kext Helper to copy the 3 files back and repaired permissions.
10. Used the Extension Repair app to repaired permissions again and flushed the cache.
After I rebooted, it looked like it was hanging but I realized afterwards it was because I haven't applied the restart patch for my motherboard. I pressed the reset button and it booted straight into the desktop. I saw that it was still in 1024x768. Checked System Profiler and boy it was relieving. QE & CI were perfect and went into System Preferences / Display to be more excited when all the resolutions were all there!
Here's my System Profiler:
Picture_2.jpg 69.73KB 852 downloads
There you go guys, hope this helps!
Kexts Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dy4w0d
Mirror 1: http://www.mediafire...04e75f6e8ebb871
Mirror 2: http://rapidshare.co...0_Kext.zip.html
Mirror 3: http://www.easy-shar... X1650 Kext.zip
Mirror 4: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SCJB1MFO
Mirror 5: http://www.filefacto..._X1650_Kext_zip
Mirror 6: http://www.slingfile...file/2ZoxP3y34H
Mirror 7: http://drop.io/x1650kexts
Please post a mirror if you can, let everyone enjoy the kexts