Bootcamp and Apple Drivers in Vista

thingi

8 posts in this topic

Has anybody managed to get the drivers for the Atheros AR5006X wireless adaptor (airport extreme) working under Vista yet (on a mini not a mbp)?

I've installed the drivers via the Apple driver CD. I've tried to run the apple driver installer under native Vista and WinXP SP2 compatability mode and still can't get the airport working (code 10 device error). Thing is I'm not sure if the installer is working correctly for airport, it would appear that Vista has it's own Atheros driver already built in.

Good news is that audio and video are working. Audio output is still from the internal speaker and sp/dif at the same time, video is giving a proper res of 1280x720 for my display but it's only a bog standard driver - no LDDM video support = no fancy aqua till intel release their real vista driver.

Bluetooth is working but same apple bt keyboard/mouse issues as xp.

Startup Disk control panel applet does not work in either Vista or OSX (I suspect due to deleting the EFI partition during the vista install). I can still dual boot using ALT on boot up though and this method does remember the last OS so the missing startup disk options are not a killer.

So I suppose my real question is how do I extract the drivers from the exe so I can try and install the real apple airport driver???

thingi

May you please let me know how you got audio working under Vista?

Dead simple really,

1. installed the apple drivers off of the CD I made with bootcamp.

2. Then after that opened the Audio properties via control panel.

3. Then changed one of the settings in the Vista audio panel (it was something like solo or something along those lines cant remember exactly cos I've now wiped vista.

Talking of linux it looks ike I'm very close to installing Linux via boot camp with chain loading :-) The latest 2.6.16 kernels can read the partitions correctly. Have managed to format the EFI partition into ext2 ( /boot and created a Reiser 4 and a linux-swap in the place of the NTFS partition.

All the installers seem to hang so I used the gparted-live cd 0.2.4 to create the partitions and then used dapper live to try install from within dapper live linux . Didn't quite work because the latest dapper live builds don't like reiser4, only ext 3.

Next take is to reformat the reiser partition into ext3 and seee if the dapper live installer fares any better.

thingi

Dead simple really,

1. installed the apple drivers off of the CD I made with bootcamp.

2. Then after that opened the Audio properties via control panel.

3. Then changed one of the settings in the Vista audio panel (it was something like solo or something along those lines cant remember exactly cos I've now wiped vista.

Talking of linux it looks ike I'm very close to installing Linux via boot camp with chain loading :-) The latest 2.6.16 kernels can read the partitions correctly. Have managed to format the EFI partition into ext2 ( /boot and created a Reiser 4 and a linux-swap in the place of the NTFS partition.

All the installers seem to hang so I used the gparted-live cd 0.2.4 to create the partitions and then used dapper live to try install from within dapper live linux . Didn't quite work because the latest dapper live builds don't like reiser4, only ext 3.

Next take is to reformat the reiser partition into ext3 and seee if the dapper live installer fares any better.

thingi

How did you install the drivers from the bootcamp? Did you extract them somehow? The bootcamp installer doesn't work under Vista. It tries to install video first drivers first thing, fails since they're XP drivers, then bails on the entire process altogether.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Slightly off-topic, but potentially helpful for people searching for boot camp windows drivers to resolve graphics, network, and audio problems.

I installed XP last night on a MacBook boot camp partition. My Leopard CD was 30 miles away and I was drinking, so I had to find the drivers I wanted to watch a Netflix movie (display, audio, wireless).

The Airport Extreme Card driver I downloaded from Dell's web site -as it is a Broadcom chipset.

I downloaded it in OSX and copied it to the desktop folder of the Windows partition, booted into Windows and installed it.

I used r140747 from support.dell

I have a Macbook so the graphics driver for mine was found at Intel -i'ts a GMA x3100 but the download there is based on the chip set, not the card so match that rather than searching for the card name -on the MacBook anyway.

In my case the package that worked was for the Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset.

Intel - Identifying Graphics Controller

Otherwise, your driver is probably at ATI (ati.amd.com).

People seem to be having various audio problems -at least in XP. I couldn't get any audio at all, from the internal speakers or the cheap pair I plugged in. No sound card was found.

The audio driver that is supposed to work is the Sigmatel something-or-other. Uninstall SigmaTel that or any other audio component from the add/remove software control panel and install:

Realtek HD Audio Codec (Google for "wdm_r190 realtek")

I got mine from realtek. The newest version was 1.9 at the time of this post.

Sorry for the possible off-topic. I'm jus tcross-posting in the various forums I found last night where people were having similar issues. Cheers.

• 7 months later...